Independence Day: Shelve Planned Strike, Nasarawa Speaker Begs NLC, TUC

The Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly, Alh. Ibrahim Abdullahi, has appealed to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) to shelve their planned indefinite strike for the overall development of the country. The call is contained in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Jibrin Gwamna, in Lafia on Sunday. Abdullahi said that the strike would affect the socio-economic activities of the country negatively, hence the need for his appeal for more time and realistic dialogue. “I want to appeal to the leadership of the NlC and TUC to shelve their planned strike in the interest of peace and for the overall development of the country,” he said. The speaker appreciated Nigerians for their loyalty and support to the government since independence in the country. Abdullahi said that the progress and development achieved so far in the country was as a result of citizens loyalty and support to both the past and present governments in the country. The speaker congratulated all Nigerians at 63 and Nasarawa state at 27 on the successful Independence Day celebration and wished them more fruitful years ahead. “I want to appreciate our founding fathers for ensuring that we got independence in the country. “Since we got independence in the country, so far so good, the country is progressing and is moving forward despite our challenges, we are not stagnant as a nation and as a state,” he said. The speaker also urged Nigerians to use the Independence anniversary and reflect on the sacrifices of the nation’s founding fathers. He called on all and sundry to strive towards ensuring that the labour of the nation’s founding fathers were never in vain by contributing positively to the development of the country. Abdullahi also called on Nigerians to continue to pray for the nation’s unity, peace, progress and development. Besides, he urged the people of the state and Nigerians to support President Bola Tinubu, Gov. Abdullahi Sule and other leaders to succeed. “I want to call on Nigerians to continue to pray and support President Bola Tinubu, His Excellency Gov. Abdullahi Sule and other leaders to succeed.” The speaker further appealed to Nigerians to continue to remain law abiding, respect constituted authorities and live peacefully with one another for development to thrive.
No Going Back On October 3 Strike, NLC Insists

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) says it has reached no agreement with the Federal Government to call off the planned indefinite strike for October 3, insisting that the planned industrial action will still continue. Mr Benson Upah, Head of Information and Public Affairs in NLC said this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja. It would be recalled that the NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) had at the end of the joint National Executive Council meeting declared an indefinite strike beginning from Tuesday to press home their demands. Upah was reacting to a statement allegedly issued by Mr Olajide Oshundun, Director, Press and Public Relations in the Ministry of Labour and Employment. Upah said there were some inconsistencies in the statement which include the proposed strike and the illegal occupation of the secretariat of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW). “Accordingly, we find it necessary to make clarifications. Firstly, we do not have any agreement with the government to suspend the planned strike action. “Neither do we have any date for a meeting with the government that may lead to the suspension of the proposed strike. “While we do not intend to demean or minimise the office of the Honourable Minister of Labour and Employment, this matter is beyond the Ministry. “This should have been obvious to them during our most recent meeting,” he added. He, therefore, commended the role played by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Mr Simon Lalong in securing the release of the executives of the NURTW from unlawful, illegal police detention. Upah added: “We take exception to the ministry describing these executives as factional leaders. “They were lawfully elected into office. We still find it necessary to advise the police and those elements behind their travails to desist from this despicable and shameful conduct. “They are advised to retrace their steps. If democracy is to be of meaning to us, then we should resist the urge or temptation for impunity. Enough is enough.”
Shelve proposed warning strike, FG appeals to NLC

The Federal Government has appealed to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to suspend its proposed 2-day nationwide warning strike over economic hardship. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Mr Simon Lalong, made the call at a news conference on Monday in Abuja. The NLC in a communique issued at the end of its National Executive Council (NLC) said it would commence a 2-day nationwide warning strike from September 5 to September 6. The NLC also threatened to embark on indefinite nationwide strike within 14 working days or 21 days from when the communique was issued unless the Federal Government addressed the excruciating suffering of Nigerians. Lalong said that the appeal had become necessary in order to ensure robust line of communication with Nigerians and in particular the organised labour to forestall a breakdown of industrial peace. He noted that the planned industrial action would no doubt reverse some of the gains already made by the administration. According to him, in this context, it has become pertinent to appeal to the leadership of the NLC to suspend its intended two days warning strike. “As such action would be detrimental to the gains already being recorded on our course to securing a greater future for Nigerian workers and citizens at large. “Furthermore, I would request that the Comrade Leadership of the NLC gives this government some time to settle and address the issues on the ground holistically. “It should be realised that the Cabinet of this administration was only recently sworn in by Mr President and all cabinet members have hit the ground running by receiving briefings from their MDAs. “Therefore, the issues raised by the leadership of the NLC are some issues that I and the Minister of State for Labour and Employment are being briefed upon,” he said. The minister however reassured Nigerian workers that this government would never take them for granted nor fail to appreciate their support and understanding. He also said that this administration would continue to pursue policies aimed at massive employment generation in all sectors of the economy. Lalong added that this would enable government look into immediate challenges that have emerged out of its policies, saying “we cannot do this in an atmosphere devoid of industrial peace. He also said that as a Minister of Labour and Employment, he was yet to be served official communication of the NLC communiqué, following its NEC meeting as required by law. He further urged the NLC to do the needful by following laid down processes for handling such matters since the cabinet was on ground. He assured that all the issues raised by the NLC would be looked into one after the other. “Allow me to first express my sympathy and that of the government of President Bola Tinubu to Nigerians and in particular the workers. “That is over the challenges that have arisen from the removal of petrol subsidy and other policies of the government aimed at renewing hope for the future of our dear nation. “In light of these matters, I would like to reiterate my appeal to the leadership of the NLC to suspend the warning strike and subsequent future actions. “To allow us to work together to amicably resolve these issues rather than embark on actions that would further worsen the conditions of the citizens of Nigeria,” he said. He therefore announced that government would be meeting with the NLC by 3 p.m. on Monday (September 4)