NASS Commends FG, Labour Unions For Averting  Nationwide Strike

Akpabio Breaks 59-Year-Old Jinx, Secures IPU Executive Committee Slot

The National Assembly has commended the Federal Government and the leadership of the organised labour for reaching a compromise to avert the planned nationwide strike. The President of Senate, Sen. Godswil Akpabio said this at plenary on Tuesday. “The entirety of the Senate appreciates the Nigerian labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress of their understanding of the precarious situation that we are in. “We also want to commend the Federal Government for the proactive steps taken to avert the strike action that was earlier proposed by NLC and TUC. “Yes, indeed the understanding will help stablish the economy and help us attract foreign direct investment, because no government can actually do well in an era of strife. “I commend the union, I also commend the Federal Government team and I commend the Senate Committee on Labour for their efforts and hard work done to bring amicable solution to the matter,” he said. Earlier, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Labour Sen. Diket Plang (APC-Plateau) said the senate leadership via its committee with other stakeholders had met with various groups on the planned strike. “I think colleagues need to appreciate the situation, yesterday, the NLC and TUC signed a memorandum of understanding with the government and agreed on 15 items of resolution which led to suspension of the strike for another 30 days. “We need to congratulate the two teams for the clear understanding that played out among them,” he said.

Subsidy Protest: I share in your pains, Gov AbdulRazaq tells labour unions

Subsidy Protest: I share in your pains, Gov AbdulRazaq tells labour unions

Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has said the state government has rolled out several measures designed to ease the inconveniences of fuel subsidy removal for its workers and the general public. While addressing the labour unions who presented to him a protest letter over the subsidy removal, AbdulRazaq commended labour for its peaceful protest and aspirations as representatives of the Nigerian workers. The governor, who was represented by the Deputy Governor, Kayode Alabi, said the message from Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) was loud and clear and would be delivered to President Bola Tinubu. “We acknowledge that this is a tough moment for everyone and we share in the temporary pains of our people,” the governor said. He added that his administration empathises with the people and workers and would do more in addition to the moves already made by the state government to ease their pains. AbdulRazaq explained that, as a palliative measure, grains were being purchased from the Federal Government and would soon be distributed to vulnerable households, including labour unions and affiliate organisations. The list of beneficiaries, he said, would be inclusive and the process would involve all key stakeholders in the community. The governor further confirmed the approval of the support for students and security agencies, which was built on what was earlier announced for all categories of workers in the state. He said free transportation had earlier been arranged for tertiary students in the state. “I call on the NLC to further support and work with government to implement key economic reforms for sustainable growth alongside specific palliatives until things stabilise,” the governor said. He urged NLC to bear with the government and continue to hold talks so that everyone involved could pull through the phase in a way which would sustainably benefit the country. “There may not be easy solutions, but Nigeria will come out of this stronger and better if everyone endures and works together,” AbdulRazaq added. The State Chairman of NLC, Comrade Muritala Olayinka, said workers were facing a lot of challenges due to the removal of fuel subsidies. He urged the state government to come quickly to the aid of the people in order to lessen the pains on the people and business concerns.