Police Rescue Former INEC Staff From Kidnappers, Arrest 4 Suspects

Police Rescue Former INEC Staff From Kidnappers, Arrest 4 Suspects

*Fourth Suspect Arrested While Hiding In Girlfriend’s Ceiling The Police Command in Cross River State has rescued a former staff member of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) shortly after her abduction at her residence in Calabar on Saturday. The command’s spokesperson, Irene Ugbo who gave the confirmation on Sunday, said the commissioner commended the gallantry of the officers involved in the operation. She stated that four suspects were arrested during the operation while two vehicles were recovered in the process. She said that the command’s Anti Cultism and Kidnapping Squad (ACKS), led by SP Chukwuma Ogini, had swung into action following a distress call on her abduction at Mathias Oje Avenue in Calabar Municipality. Ugbo commended the bravery of Njangachang youths in the locality, who assisted in the apprehension of the suspects. The suspects had arms, ammunition and charms during the operation. She reiterated the Commissioner, Gyogon Grimah’s resolve to rid the state of crimes and criminalities. “We still want to state that no Kidnapper or criminal will find the state a safe haven for crimes and criminalities again. This is the resolve of the commissioner as directed by the Inspector General of Police,” she stated. Meanwhile, the fourth suspect was hiding in the ceiling of his girlfriend’s house in Calabar when he was arrested. According to the Police, he has confessed that the victim’s tenant initiated the abduction. Police spokesperson, SP Irene Ugbo, confirmed the arrest of the fourth suspect in the abduction of Mrs Caroline Bassey, who the police rescued hours after the abduction. “The suspect was unsuspicious that officers of the Anti-Cultism and Kidnapping Squad were on his trail until he was apprehended at about 5 a.m. “He has confessed to being the mastermind of Mrs Bassey’s kidnap. He identified Bassey’s tenant as the person who contracted him and his gang to kidnap the victim,’’ Ugbo said. 

Ozekhome’s Kidnappers Bag 20 Years Imprisonment

Ozekhome's Kidnappers Bag 20 Years Imprisonment

Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court, Abuja has sentenced the kidnappers of Prof Mike Ozekhome and and Delta Commissioner for Higher Education, Professor Hope Eghagha and others to 20 years imprisonment. Their alleged offences are said to be punishable under sections 1(2)(f), 8(1)(b), 10, 15(1), 17, d 19 of the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011(as amended). The judgement, which was coming 10years after, had Kelvin Oniarah Eziegbe, Frank Azuekor convicted and sentenced for kidnapping and terrorism, which will commence from the date of their arrest. However, the court discharged and acquitted Michael Omonigho, a priest of a shrine, who was arraigned along with the convicts. According to the Judge, some of the 13-count charge for which the convicts were arraigned carry life imprisonment but she had to use her discretion to sentence them to 20 years imprisonment. Justice Nyako ordered the transfer of the convicts from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) to the correctional centre to serve their imprisonment. Earlier before the sentencing, the convicts prayed Justice Nyako for mercy in the sentencing saying that, they have never been convicted for any offence before now. The first convict. Kelvin Eziegbe specifically pleaded the court for mercy in the sentencing because of his health challenges which he had been battling with since the past ten years he had been in the custody of the DSS. While the counsel to the convicts, Mr. Bala Dakum joined the convicts in pleading for mercy in the sentencing, the prosecution counsel, Chioma Onuegbu reminded the court of the gravity of the offences for which the convicts were convicted. Speaking shortly after the judgement, Counsel Onuegbu expressed gratitude for the judgement as she said it will serve as a deterrent to other criminals that the office of the criminal justice act are working. Ahmed Tijani counsel to the fourth defendant in the charge sheet, Haruna Momoh, who was said to have escaped from custody said his client, slammed with a five-count charge, bordering on kidnapping and terrorism did not escape from lawful custody. The court had, in the judgement told the DSS to find, arrest and arraign the 4th defendant to face his trial, a directive Tijani said, will be addressed, “When we get to the bridge”. Charges against the convicts, who were docked in 2023 include, conspiracy to commit terrorism act to include kidnapping, accessory to act of terrorism, inciting persons to commit act of terrorism, recruitment, escape and abetting escape. The duo of Eziegbe and Azuekor were, accused in counts two and three of conspiracy to commit terrorism act of murder by shooting and killing five police officers and two prison officials; commuting of intentional murder by shooting to killing five police officers and two prison officials. Azuekor was accused, in count seven, of escaping with others from lawful custody when the prison vehicle in which they were being conveyed to court was allegedly attacked by Eziegbe and others. Michael Omonigho was accused, in counts 12 and 13 of acting as the group’s herbalist by providing “spiritual and moral support” to it, and failing to reporting the groups activities to security agencies.