Reintroduce Arts, Culture Ministry: Festival organisers urge KDSG

Organisers of the 8th Kaduna International Film Festival (KADIFF) have urged the Kaduna State Government to reintroduce the Ministry for Arts and Culture which served as a tool of social transformation. Recall that in 2019, former Gov. Nasir El-Rufa’i had issued an Executive Order that restructured the State’s Ministries including abolishing the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, under which Culture previously fell. The ministry was replaced by the Ministry of Human Services and Social Development, effectively reducing the status of culture to a Department within a broader portfolio.
Kaduna Guvnor cautions APC, says grassroots, not social media win elections
Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, has cautioned All Progressives Congress (APC) members against relying on social media propaganda, stressing that elections are not won on X, Facebook, Instagram or TikTok. He made the remark on Monday during an APC stakeholders’ meeting in Kaduna, following the party’s victory in Saturday’s bye-election. Sani said while the opposition focused on “X battles and Facebook noise,” the APC concentrated on grassroots mobilisation, inclusivity, and effective governance, which delivered the party’s electoral success. “There is no ballot box on Twitter. There is no ballot box on Instagram or Facebook. Elections are won at the grassroots, not online,” he stressed. The governor insisted that propaganda could never secure electoral victory, adding that only governance, inclusivity, and people-centred policies could sustain the APC in power. “Our opponents fought a propaganda battle, but we fought a political battle. They lost because the people know who truly works for them,” he declared. Sani told stakeholders that Saturday’s victory was historic, especially in communities where the APC had never won since 1999, attributing it to deliberate investment in rural empowerment and agriculture. “Before now, some communities never voted for our party. Today, they stood with us because they saw inclusivity. We defended everyone, regardless of faith, ethnicity, or party,” he said. He noted that Kaduna had reclaimed over 500,000 hectares of abandoned farmlands and emerged a leader in maize, tomato, and ginger production, boosting farmers’ livelihoods. According to him, agricultural policies supported by strong budgetary allocations had restored hope to rural dwellers, proving that grassroots voters are the people who truly matter. Sani also urged party leaders not to abandon the APC manifesto, warning that 2027 success depended on maintaining close ties with communities. “Party first, politics second. We must not neglect our wards and councils. If we remain with the people, no party can defeat us,” he stated. APC State Chairman, Air Commodore Emmanuel Jekada (rtd.), commended the governor’s inclusive leadership style and praised stakeholders for ensuring the party’s victory in the bye-election. He expressed optimism that with unity, the APC would further consolidate its hold on power in 2027.
KDSG to train 8,700 to combat menace of out-of-school children
The Kaduna State Government says it will train 8,700 School Based Management Committee (SBMC) members to improve basic education in the state. Mubarak Muhammad, acting Executive Chairman of the Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board (KADSUBEB), disclosed this at the opening of a six-day training of 92 Social Mobilisation Officers (SMOs) on Monday in Kaduna. The training is supported by UNICEF in collaboration with the Kaduna Government and the Reaching Out-of-School-Children (ROOSC) project, among other development partners. The 92 SMOs cut across the state’s 23 LGAs and would serve as master trainers who would cascade the training to SBMCs across the LGAs. Muhammad explained that the training, which was part of the ROOSC project, aimed to equip the officials with necessary skills to bridge the gap between the government and communities. He added that the training would cover school leadership, communication skills and resource mobilisation. “The officials will be equipped to mobilise resources and support for schools; ultimately improving education outcomes in Kaduna state,” he said. Muhammad also said it would focus on how to mobilise children back to school, addressing the out-of-school children phenomenon in the state. He stated that Gov. Uba Sani’s administration has been working to reduce the number of out-of-school children, adding the training was expected to have significant impact on the basic education subsector. The KADSUBEB acting boss restated the state government’s commitment to building the capacity of its citizens and ensuring a brighter future for its young people. The UNICEF Education Officer, Kaduna Field Office, Mr Bala Dada, lamented that the state was facing a significant out-of-school children crisis. “According to a 2022 KDBS survey, 768,000 children of basic school age currently not in formal education. “The ROOSC project by Kaduna state government and partners aims to reintegrate at least 200,000 of these children back into school,” he said. Dada stated that through collaboration, UNICEF and other partners leveraged community structures and government support to tackle the root causes of children being out of school. This, according to him, could be poverty, insecurity or lack of awareness. He contended that the SBMCs remained the most powerful community structures for ensuring school enrolment, retention, transition, and effective management of primary education. “SBMCs bring together parents, teachers and local leaders to support schools. “They bridge the gap between communities and the education system, helping to keep children in school and learning. “In the push to reduce out-of-school children, our greatest asset is community involvement through these SBMCs,” he said. Dada submitted that during the training, the master trainers would empower the SBMC members with the skills and knowledge to mobilise their communities. He added that it would also help identify out-of-school children and support the children’s enrolment and successful progression through school. According to him, UNICEF is counting on SBMCs to transform community attitudes and ensure every child is welcomed into a safe learning environment. The education officer said UNICEF’spartnership extends technical expertise, funding and monitoring support, while the government provides the policy backing and personnel to drive change on the ground. The Coordinator of the ROOSC project, Mr Ezra Angal, said the training was a strategic investment in community-led school management. He added that SBMCs serves as a bridge between schools and the communities they served, ensuring that every child especially the most marginalised, has a voice and pathway into inclusive and quality education. He said that building resilient and responsive school systems starts with empowering local actors by equipping master trainers with the tools and knowledge to train others. Angal, therefore, said UNICEF and the Kaduna State Government were reinforcing the ROOSC project’s shared commitment. This, he said, was to increase access, participation, and learning outcomes for all children including girls, children with disabilities and out-of-school children. He urged all the participants to approach the training with dedication and a sense of purpose.
Gov Uba Sani unveils Zaria road project

Governor Uba Sani has pledged to leave Kaduna State in a better condition than he met it. He made the assertion as his administration executes projects in key sectors like education, health, and agriculture. He made this commitment at the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction and upgrading of Zaria township roads. These include Magajiya Junction to Kasuwan Amaru and a link to Unguwan Liman/Albarkawa Road intersection and Audi to Kako Roads in Zaria Local Government. READ ALSO: Youth group launches anti fake news campaign The governor said his administration was intensifying the Rural Transformation Programme, initiating over 78 road projects since assuming office. He reiterated that these projects are progressing well, with contractors adequately funded to meet deadlines. His focus is to connect local communities for social and economic benefits. “When completed, these Zaria township roads will serve a significant urban poor population. Job opportunities will increase, commercial activities will improve, and security will be enhanced,” he assured. He stressed that Zaria is too important to be left in its current state, adding that the groundbreaking reflects his administration’s commitment to road expansion, repair, and maintenance. “The road from Audi to Kako, on the outskirts of Zaria City, connects farming communities. We are extending infrastructure to all local governments for accelerated development. “Our goal is to support rapid economic growth, address infrastructure deficits, curb rural-urban migration, and improve the quality of life for our people,” he added. READ ALSO: Ministry of women affairs to intervene in Akpoti-Uduaghan, Akpabio feud Earlier, Zaria Local Government Chairman, Jamil Ahmad, thanked the governor for developmental projects in the area and pledged the people’s full support for his administration. He promised that the people of Zaria would increase their votes for the governor in the next election, showing their appreciation for the ongoing projects. The Emir of Zazzau, Amb. Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli, welcomed the governor home, recognising him as a son of the soil and commending his commitment to development. The Emir, who is also the Chairman of the Kaduna State Council of Chiefs, praised the governor for executing projects across the state, improving infrastructure and livelihoods.
Kuwait commits to empower 200,000 out-of-school children in Kaduna

The Kuwaiti government has reiterated its commitment to empowering 200,000 out-of-school children in Kaduna State, Nigeria, through the Reaching Out-of-School Children (ROOSC) project. Mr Salim Almuzayen, the Ambassador of the State of Kuwait to Nigeria, made this announcement on Tuesday during the 64th National Day and 34th Liberation Day commemoration of Kuwait in Abuja. Almuzayen explained that the initiative aimed to provide equitable access to quality primary education, especially for children with disabilities, girls, and adolescents in Kaduna State. He noted that the project, funded by the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development in collaboration with partners and UNICEF, was designed to support more than 200,000 students. The Ambassador also highlighted the long-standing bilateral relations between Kuwait and Nigeria, dating back to the 1960s, when the Al-Sabah School was built in Kaduna. “It reflects the depth of these historical relations and shows the potential for further cooperation in various areas between our two friendly countries,” he added. On his part, Mr Adeolu Okenla, the Senior Councillor of the Middle East and Gulf Division at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, lauded the strong diplomatic ties between Nigeria and Kuwait. READ ALSO: Hajj 2025: NAHCON approves 4 banks for savings scheme These ties, he noted, began in 1971, with collaboration in political and economic areas. Okenla explained that Kuwait’s National Day and Liberation Day were significant milestones in the country’s history. “The National Day marks Kuwait’s independence from British protection in 1961, while the Liberation Day commemorates the country’s freedom from Iraqi occupation in 1991. “Kuwait has made significant progress since then, becoming a wealthy and safe country with a high standard of living,” he said. He further commended Kuwait for its contributions to regional peace and development, particularly within the Gulf Cooperation Council. Okenla also expressed appreciation for Kuwait’s free education policy, which spans from primary school to university and has contributed to a 96.46 per cent adult literacy rate in the country.
ASUU at Kaduna Varsity suspends strike

The Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has suspended the strike ir embarked upon on Feb. 18. This is cntained in a statement issed by Dr Peter Adamu, the Chairman of ASUU, KASU chapter on Monday. Adamu said that the decision to suspend the action, was taken on Saturday. ”The government demonstrated goodwill in resolving the impasse by immediately releasing funds to pay the 60 per cent of September 2017 withheld salaries and Students Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) supervision allowance for five sessions. ”The government also agreed to a timeline for the payment of the five months, May to September 2022 withheld salaries, promotion arrears, Earned Academic Allowance (EAA), Pension remittance (2009 to 2019), Death benefits, and Group Life Assurance,” he said. Adamu also said that the government showed commitment to the implementation of wage award and to grant autonomy to the university. The union expressed its appreciation to Gov. Uba Sani of Kaduna State, for his swift intervention and leadership in resolving the issues that led to the strike action. The union also thanked the university management, Commissioners for Education, Sports, and other stakeholders for their roles in ensuring a quick resolution of the impasse. Adamu called on all academic staff to resume duties and continue rendering invaluable services to the university community.
Troops arrest 18 suspected kidnappers, gunrunners, rescues 18 victims

Troops of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) and 3 Division of the Nigerian Army, Rukuba, near Jos, have arrested 18 suspected kidnappers, bandits and gunrunners in Plateau and part of Kaduna state. Maj. Samson Zhakom, the Media Officer of OPSH disclosed this during a press conference on Thursday in Jos. Zhakom said that troops also rescued 18 victims kidnapped in a forest at the boundary communities between Plateau and Taraba. The media officer explained that the arrest followed an operation held between Dec. 2024 and Jan. 4. READ ALSO: Emulate the virtues of Fawehinmi, Emir Sanusi tasks lawyers “In continuation of efforts to ensure the security of lives and property across the joint operation area, our troops intensified offensive operations supported by robust non-kinetic engagements. “Notably, the past two months witnessed intensive and offensive operations around the borders between Plateau and Taraba state, especially around Bangalala and Kinishi forests around Wase and Karim Lamido LGAs of Plateau and Taraba state. “The operations led to the neutralisation of several bandits and destruction of their life support structures. “The move mounted pressure on the criminals leading to the rescue of 18 kidnapped victims who have been reunited with their families after profiling and documentation by relevant agencies. READ ALSO: Security structure crucial to aircraft leasing – Boeing Director “Troops have also neutralised some bandits and arrested some suspects in some parts of Southern Kaduna,” he said Zhakom added that the troops also recovered a cache of arms and ammunition and destroyed many criminal hideouts within its areas of responsibility. The media officer called on residents of Plateau and Kaduna to support its efforts toward stemming the tides of insecurity in the areas.
Former Kaduna Governor’s son dies in auto crash

Faisal Ahmed Mohammed Makarfi, the eldest son of former Kaduna State Governor, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, has died following a tragic auto accident. A source close to the family, who requested anonymity, confirmed the incident, revealing that the accident occurred on Saturday evening along the Kaduna-Zaria expressway. “The accident happened along the Kaduna-Zaria highway this evening. Faisal was rushed to an undisclosed hospital, where he was declared dead. His father was at the hospital, and the body has been taken home for burial arrangements,” the source said. Faisal, a trained engineer, began his education at Kaduna International School before proceeding to Adesoye College in Offa, Kwara State, for his secondary education. He later attended the University of Greenwich, London, where he obtained his undergraduate and master’s degrees. He had also enrolled for a PhD at the same institution. At the time of filing this report, efforts to reach Senator Makarfi, a former Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party for comments were unsuccessful.
Kaduna Bandit Leader Gunned Down In Rival War

Kachalla Tukur Sharme, Kaduna’s most notorious bandit leader has been killed in a gun battle with another gang in the forest.
El-Rufa Probe: Governor Sani Breaks Silence

Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani has broken his silence on the ongoing investigation into his predecessor’s administration, Nasir El-Rufai.