Out-of-school children: UNICEF moves to cut number in Kano, Jigawa, Katsina

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), has reiterated its commitment to supporting Jigawa, Kano and Katsina States to reduce the high rate of out-of-school children and improve the education sector. The UNICEF Chief of Kano Field Office, Mr Rahama Mohammed-Farah, made the disclosure at a media briefing on the International Day of Education (IDE) 2025, on Friday in Kano. He revealed that North-West has the second highest number of out-of-schools in Nigeria. “The situation of out-of-school population in Kano, Jigawa and Katsina States is alarming, and further exacerbated by poor learning outcomes for those children who are fortunate to be enrolled in school. READ ALSO: WHO calls on Trump to reverse withdrawal decision “There are currently about 10.2 million children at the primary level who are out-of-school in Nigeria, 16 per cent of them are from Kano, Jigawa and Katsina states, according to MICS 2021. “Katsina State alone has 536,112 out-of-school children,” he said. Mohammed-Farah said UNICEF would continue to support those states in the areas of increasing enrollment drive, building the capacity of their teachers, improving infrastructure and providing instructional materials. Other areas of intervention, he said, were the provision of personal hygiene and sanitation facilities, safe drinking water points and creating a conducive learning environment. Mohammed-Farah, who said the importance of education can never be over-emphasised, described education as a fundamental human right and engine of development of every society. READ ALSO: Minister warns African women against skin bleaching The chief of the field office, therefore, urged those states to intensify efforts in increasing appropriation, release of funds for basic education. He also said that UNICEF has been supporting psychosocial programmes for children affected by conflicts, violence, or other forms of trauma. The support, he said, helped them to cope with their experiences and foster a safe learning atmosphere. He added that UNICEF introduced innovative approaches such as integrating technology into education to enhance learning opportunities for thousands of students through the Nigeria Learning Passport (NLP). According to him, 182,170 children, teachers, and parents registered in it and they were benefiting from the programme. He explained that the digital learning platform had provided free access to 15,000 curricular-aligned content.
President Tinubu Condoles with Umar Namadi, Jigawa Governor

President Bola Tinubu has condoled with the Jigawa State governor, Malam Umar Namadi, over the passing of his mother, Hajiya Maryam Namadi. Hajiya Maryam, who was the family’s matriarch, died on Wednesday, December 25. President Bola Tinubu extolled the deceased’s community service and strongly encouraged her family to immortalise her by continuing her philanthropic undertakings, thereby ensuring her legacy lives on. In a comforting message, the president urged Governor Namadi and other family members who survived the deceased to take solace in the enduring good name left behind by her. A statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy) disclosed that the deceased woman had been buried according to Islamic rites in the governor’s hometown of Kafin Hausa.
Protest:Senator advices looters and vandals …assures constituents of responsive representation

By Caroline Ameh Senator Babangida Hussaini (APC Jigawa North West) on Monday in Abuja, has expressed worry over looting and vandalism being inflicted on public and private properties by violent protesters in some parts of the country. In a personally signed statement, Senator Hussaini specifically berated those who turned national protest against perceived bad governance into looting and vandalism of public and private properties in Jigawa State. He said though he was affected by the violent protest but not deterred from giving the people of Jigawa North West, quality and responsive representation in the Senate through development-driven legislation. The statement reads in part: “I feel deeply touched by the unfortunate incidences across the nation resulting from the national protests by some Nigerians ostensibly in the exercise of their legitimate concerns on the state of the nation, on 1st August, 2024. “My thoughts and sympathies go to the people of my senatorial district, Jigawa State and Nigerians whose lives were lost and property vandalized and looted by miscreants under the guise of a national protest against perceived bad governance. “As one of the victims of the wanton destruction of property and looting in Jigawa State, I consider what happened as a manifestation of the unfortunate circumstances in which we found ourselves as a nation at this historic moment. “It is clear to all that the predictable negative consequences of the demonstrations do not in any way define the issues being canvassed by the organizers, instead they reveal the orchestrated intentions of mischief makers and the enemies of State to destabilize the polity for their selfish interests. “I wish to assure my constituents that I am not angry at what has happened to me personally and I cannot be DETERRED or DISTRACTED from my legislative service compact with the people of Jigawa North West Senatorial District. “In fact, I remain RESOLUTE and COMMITTED in serving my people more than ever before in the pursuit of effective legislation that will positively impact the people of my Senatorial District and Nigeria in general, under the legislative agenda of the 10′ National Assembly, headed by Senator Godswill Akpabio, and the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu “.
JUST IN: One person killed, 18 rescued in Jigawa boat mishap

One person has died, and another is missing as a boat carrying traders capsised on Sunday in Jigawa State. According to the police spokesperson in the state, Lawan Adam, 20 traders were travelling from Kwalgai in Auyo Local Government Area to neighbouring Hadin in Kaugama council when the boat capsised. Mr Adam said local divers and the police rescued most of the victims after responding swiftly to a report of the accident. “The rescue team was able to rescue eighteen (18) passengers alive, while two (2) female passengers were still searching”, Mr Adam said. He said one of two missing persons, identified as Habiba Ado,18, of Kwalgai community, was later alive but died at a hospital in Auyo. The police spokesperson said preliminary findings revealed that the accident was primarily caused by powerful waves and overloading that led to the driver losing control of the canoe. “Efforts were being intensified to rescue the remaining missing woman while the rescued victims were all rushed to the hospital for medical attention,” the police spokesperson said.
Doctor To Patient Ratio In Jigawa Now 1:21k — NMA Laments

*Says Jigawa has highest record of braindrain in Nigeria The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) has expressed concern over shortage of doctors in Jigawa, with the current ratio of one doctor to 21,000 patients in the state. The NMA Chairman in the state, Dr Aminu Abdullahi, who disclosed this in a statement on Saturday to commemorate the 2023 Physicians Week, said “Jigawa has the highest record of braindrain in the country.” The World Health Organisation’s (WHO) standard is one doctor to 600 patients. The chairman, therefore, lamented how brain drain negatively hit the state, which allocated 16 per cent of its 2023 annual budget to the health sector. He said that the association is worried about the sad development. “This is because ours is a bi-directional bran drain, both within the country, that’s to other states of federation and outside the country. “We have about 350 doctors working in both state and federal health facilities. “The NMA chapter in Jigawa has 350 doctors catering for seven million people in the state. “Currently, the doctor/patient ratio in Jigawa stands at about 1: 21,000, against the WHO standard of 1/600 patients. “The ratio is similar to that of nurses and other health workers in the state. This is one of the worst ratios in the country, which will significantly affect our health indices. “It is also worthy of note that Jigawa was among the early states to implement CONMESS and CONHESS salary structure for healthcare workforce back in 2011, which made it one of the highest paid states in the country back then. “The current challenges bevelling the health sector as a whole honestly call for sincere, deliberate and fact guided discussions concerning our healthcare delivery system. “With the current economic realities the nation is going through, there is no better time to make the healthcare delivery system in our dear state more efficient and responsive than now.” The NMA chairman said that the theme of the 2023 Physicians’ Week — “This is our chance to get it right in the health sector” and the sub-themes “The Abuja Declaration 22 years after” and “Ethical issues in human organ donation” — are in tune with the current realities in the health sector.
4 die, 10 injured in Jigawa auto crash – FRSC

About four persons have died, while 10 others sustained varying degrees of injuries in an accident involving two vehicles on Gumel-Kano Road in Jigawa. Mr Ibrahim Gambo, the Spokesman, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in the state, confirmed the accident in a Road Traffic Report (RTC), in Dutse on Monday. He said the accident occurred at about 12:25 a.m. when a bus had a head-on collision with an upcoming vehicle at Achauya village in Gumel Local Government Area of the state. “A commercial bus (Sharon) with registration number GML 260 XX carrying passengers was involved in a collision with a truck with registration number GUS 648 XA coming from the opposite direction. “It could be attributed to speed violation and loss of control, 14 persons, consisting of 11 males and three females were involved in the crash,” he said. He said that four male passengers were certified dead by a medical doctor at a hospital in the area while seven males and three females were receiving treatment. He advised motorists to shun night journeys and respect traffic rules to ensure safety on the road.
Civil Defence decorates newly promoted officers in Jigawa

Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Jigawa State Command, has decorated officers recently promoted to various ranks during the 2022 Senior Officers promotion. A statement signed by the spokesperson of the Command, Mr Adamu Shehu, made this known on Saturday. He said that the decoration took place on Friday with two officers promoted to Deputy Commandants, six Superintendents of Corps and three Assistant Supretendents of Corps. Others included 1 Deputy Superintendent of Corps, 11 Assistant Superintendents of Corps and 18 Inspectors of Corps promoted to Assistant Supreintendents of Corps. While congratulating the newly decorated officers, the State Commandant, Mr Musa Malah, in the statement, charged them to discharge their duties to reciprocate the gesture. He further commended the Commandant General of the Corps, Mr Ahmed Abubakar-Audi, for his commitment and determination in improving personnel welfare. The statement revealed that while responding on behalf of the newly decorated officers, the Head of Finance, Mr Shehu Bakari, assured the State Commandant of their resolve to give their best in their places of assignments. They vowed to continue protecting the interest of the corps wherever they found themselves.