Tinubu Calls for End to Gaza Conflict, Supports Two-State Solution

In an address at the Arab-Islamic Summit in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, President Bola Tinubu called for an immediate halt to the ongoing Israeli war on Gaza, stressing the prolonged suffering caused by the conflict. Speaking to heads of state from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the Arab League, Tinubu highlighted the grave humanitarian situation in Gaza, urging the world to work toward lasting peace. Nigeria’s President reaffirmed his country’s strong support for a two-state solution, advocating for the peaceful coexistence of Israel and Palestine. He emphasized that this solution remains the key to achieving lasting peace, with both nations deserving security and dignity. Tinubu called on global leaders to take collective action, beyond mere condemnation, to end the violence that has devastated so many innocent lives. The President also noted the importance of respecting international law, emphasizing that while nations have the right to self-defense, such actions must be proportionate and mindful of the rights of civilians. He stressed that the lives of innocent people cannot be dismissed as mere collateral damage in the pursuit of political or military goals. Reflecting on Nigeria’s unwavering stance on the two-state solution, Tinubu remarked that it is a vision of equality, mutual recognition, and self-determination for both peoples. He called for dialogue, mutual respect, and an understanding of the historical context to resolve the conflict. The President urged the international community to find new, innovative paths to peace, noting the profound impact of the ongoing violence and the global exposure of the conflict. Tinubu commended King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for convening the summit and reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to supporting international efforts aimed at achieving peace and stability in the Middle East. He reminded attendees that Nigeria’s own experiences have underscored the importance of respecting diversity and avoiding identity politics in the pursuit of peace.
Netanyahu Says Israel ‘At War’ After Palestine Launch Surprise Air, Ground Attack

*Vows that Hamas will pay a price it has never known for the attack Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared that the country was “at war” on Saturday, after Palestinian militants in Gaza fired a deadly barrage of rockets and sent gunmen into Israeli territory in a major escalation of the long running conflict between the two sides. The early-morning surprise attack has left at least 22 people dead and over 250 injured, according to Israel’s Magen David Adom (MDA) emergency rescue service. It comes on the 50th anniversary of the 1973 War in which Arab states blitzed Israel on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. Around 2,200 rockets were launched from the Gaza Strip into Israel on Saturday morning, according to the Israeli military, while armed gunmen infiltrated across the border in a ground assault into southern Israel. Hamas, the Palestinian militant movement that runs Gaza and claimed responsibility for the attack, said it had captured several Israeli soldiers near the border after its fighters entered Israel by land, sea and air using paragliders. Israel’s military has not confirmed reports of soldiers having been captured, but one video published by Reuters appeared to show Palestinian gunmen dragging an Israeli soldier out of a tank at the Gaza fence. MDA also said that one of their ambulances had been taken into the Gaza Strip. Dubbing the operation “Al-Aqsa Storm,” Hamas military commander Muhammad Al-Deif said in a recorded message that the group had “targeted the enemy positions, airports and military positions with 5,000 rockets” and that the assault on Israel was a response to attacks on women, the desecration of the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem and the ongoing siege of Gaza. In response, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had launched strikes against a number of Hamas targets in Gaza, and said that it had issued a call-up of thousands of reservists. IDF spokesman Lt Col Richard Hecht said in a briefing that Israeli forces “are fighting on the ground as we speak,” listing at least half a dozen locations where fighting is taking place, including several villages, two army bases and border crossings. Residents have told Israeli broadcasters that some militants are attempting to break into their homes, and urging for help from Israeli forces. Netanyahu has vowed that Hamas will “pay a price it has never known” for the attack. “Citizens of Israel, we are at war – not in an operation, not in rounds – at war,” he said in a video message. The IDF has warned Israelis who live near Gaza to stay in their homes or head to shelters. “In the last hour, the Hamas terrorist organization had begun a massive shooting of rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory, and terrorists infiltrated into Israeli territory in a number of different locations,” the IDF said in a statement. Sirens warning of incoming rockets continued for at least three hours after the initial barrage. “The Hamas terrorist organization is the sovereign in the Gaza Strip and is responsible for this attack. It will face the consequences and responsibility for these events,” it added.