Vote Buying: EFCC Intercepts N11.04m, Arrests 14 Suspected In Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 14 suspected vote buyers in Otueke, Adawari playgrounds in Bayelsa and at various polling units in Imo and Kogi. EFCC Spokesperson Dele Oyewale said this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja. According to him, the suspects were arrested on Saturday in intelligence-driven operations that commenced several days before the ongoing governorship elections in the three states. “Also, a total sum of N11,040,000, comprising N9,310,00 intercepted from suspected vote buyers and sellers in Bayelsa, and N1,730,000 intercepted from electoral fraud suspects across Imo State, were recovered from them. “Also, two vehicles were intercepted from the suspects. They will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded,” he said. The commission had earlier deployed its personnel to monitor the Saturday’s governorship elections in the three states. Oyewale had said in a statement on Friday in Abuja, that the aim of the deployment was to prevent politicians and their agents from engaging in vote buying during the elections. He explained that the exercise was part of the commission’s drive to checkmate electoral fraud and associated financial crimes.
Guber Elections Underway In Bayelsa, Imo, Kogi As INEC Conducts Off-Cycle Polls

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Saturday initiated the first off-cycle elections since the 2023 general elections, with residents of Bayelsa, Imo, and Kogi states casting their votes to determine their governors for the next four years. A total of 46,084 regular and ad-hoc staff have been deployed across the three states, and 126 national and international organizations, along with 11,000 observers, are accredited for the elections. Additionally, 80 media organizations have applied to deploy 1,203 personnel, including journalists and technical/support staff. Security measures are robust, with 92,565 police personnel mobilized, including helicopters and gunboats. The Federal Road Safety Corps has also deployed 1,500 operatives and 105 vehicles. INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, revealed that the elections will be held in 10,470 polling units across 649 electoral wards in 56 local government areas. Voting commenced around 08:30 am in observed polling units, following the arrival of INEC officials with sensitive and non-sensitive materials. Over five million voters are expected to participate in the elections, with the outcome potentially influenced by the significant representation of youths and middle-aged individuals, comprising over 60% of the total PVCs collected in the three states. In Imo State, registered voters are 2,419,922, with 2,318,919 PVCs collected. In Kogi, there are 1,932,654 registered voters, and 1,833,160 PVCs collected, while Bayelsa has 1,056,862 registered voters and 1,017,613 PVCs collected. Sixteen political parties are sponsoring candidates in Bayelsa, and 18 in both Imo and Kogi, with elections taking place in 10,470 polling units across the 56 local government areas in the three states. INEC has deployed nine Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) and two national commissioners to each state, with 46,000 staff overseeing the elections. The Result Viewing Portal (IReV) is assured to work smoothly despite previous glitches experienced in the technology during the February 25, 2023 presidential poll.
Bayelsa, Imo, Kogi Elections: Vote Only PDP Candidates, Atiku Begs Nigerians

Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 election, Abubakar Atiku, has appealed to Nigerians to cast their votes for PDP candidates in the upcoming gubernatorial elections in Imo, Bayelsa, and Kogi states. Atiku acknowledged concerns about the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) handling of the 2023 general elections but emphasized the importance of citizens exercising their democratic rights. “The governorship elections in Kogi, Imo, and Bayelsa states are scheduled for this Saturday, November 11th,” Atiku stated. “These elections, categorized as off-cycle, mark the first set of polls after the 2023 general elections in our country.” Despite challenges faced by INEC, Atiku urged citizens to actively participate in the electoral process, emphasizing the importance of defeating anti-democratic elements. Atiku appealed to the people of Bayelsa, Imo, and Kogi to support PDP candidates, highlighting their achievements and capabilities and contrasting them with their APC counterparts. He praised Governor Duoye Diri in Bayelsa, Senator Dino Melaye in Kogi, and Senator Samuel Nnaemeka Anyanwu in Imo for their leadership potential. In contrast, Atiku criticized the APC’s nominees, alleging that they are “stooges” of political godfathers, emphasizing that these elections should prioritize the needs of the common people rather than political elites. Atiku urged the people of these states to vote for the PDP and reject the APC, which he blamed for the country’s current hardships. He emphasized that these elections are about the common people’s fortunes and the triumph of democracy, which ultimately benefits the people.
Upcoming Guber Elections: INEC Assures Staff Of Payment Of Full Allowances

The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, has assured staff of the Commission that all allowances will be paid in preparation for the upcoming gubernatorial elections in Bayelsa, Kogi, and Imo scheduled for November 11. Addressing the commission’s staff, Prof. Yakubu acknowledged the staff’s concerns regarding the delay in receiving the 40% palliative meant to alleviate economic hardship caused by the removal of the fuel subsidy whilst empathizing with their dissatisfaction. The INEC chairman reiterated his commitment to ensuring the prompt payment of staff allowances, as well as the commission’s dedication to conducting free, fair, and credible elections, adding that “INEC’s role in overseeing the electoral process is pivotal in upholding the principles of democracy.” “I know that many of you are not happy because you have not received the alert for the 40 per cent palliative awarded to all civil servants to cushion the effect of the economic hardship being experienced due to the removal of the fuel subsidy,” Yakubu said.
Troops Neutralise Terrorists In Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo Operations

Troops of “Operation UDO KA II” in the South East conducted a clearance operation on terrorists’ hideout in Orsumoghu Forest in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra. Lt.-Col. Jonah Unuakhalu, acting Deputy Director of Army Public Relations, 82 Division, who stated this at the weekend in Enugu, said the troops neutralised two terrorists. He added that the clearance operation centred on suspected hideouts of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and its Eastern Security Network (ESN). Unuakhalu stated that the terrorist group deployed Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to slow down the troops, but the latter were undaunted. “The troops were able to dislodge the group; neutralised two of them, while others escaped with gunshot wounds. “Items recovered from the camps included a pair of military boots, one military belt, five mobile phones, one binoculars, leather hand gloves and police head warmer. “Others were one locally-made handheld IED and four locally-made IED launchers (Ogbunigwe),” he stated. Unuakhalu added that troops of Sector 2 of the “Operation UDO KA II’’ arrested a suspected gunrunner on Thursday while on a search-and-rescue mission at Effium in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi. He stated that the suspected gunrunner, one Francis Nwekire, 63, was arrested in his house with 48 rounds of 7.62 mm special ammunition. “Additionally, a suspected Effium Militia in Ebonyi was arrested and he led troops to their hideout. “Items recovered from the hideout were one AK 47 rifle, 20 rounds of 7.62 mm special ammunition and one AK 47 magazine. “Both suspects are presently in troops’ custody for further interrogation,’’ he stated. Unuakhalu also stated that troops of Naval Base, Oguta, under “Operation UDO KA II’’ began “Operation IRON TETE’’ on Friday to flush out IPOB/ESN elements from Agwa community in Imo. He added that during the operation, an identified member of the group, a known local gun fabricator nicknamed “Packing Store’’ was neutralised. He stated that items recovered during the operation were one pump-action rifle, one locally-made pistol and a head warmer with IPOB inscription. “Operation UDO KA II calls on law-abiding citizens of the Southeast not to relent in providing timely, credible and reliable information that will assist in ending this menace in the region. “Operation UDO KA II will continue combating crime and criminality in accordance with extant rules and regulations guiding its operations,’’ Unuakhalu stressed.
Ohanaeze Ndigbo Rejects Clarks’ Call To Remove Abia, Imo, Ondo From NDDC

The apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has strongly rejected the recent call by prominent Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, to remove Abia, Imo, and Ondo States from the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC). Chief Clark had made this appeal during a press conference in Abuja, where he urged President Bola Tinubu to expel the three states from the NDDC, citing their inclusion for the sake of convenience as the primary reason. In response, Ohanaeze Ndigbo’s Secretary-General, Okechukwu Isiguzoro, issued a statement denouncing Clark’s call as “satanic, parochial barbarism,” emphasizing that it posed a significant threat to national cohesion and unity. Isiguzoro expected Chief Clark to support the gazetting of former President Muhammadu Buhari’s recognition of the Old Anambra River Basins as oil-producing states, which would include Anambra, Enugu, and Kogi States into the NDDC. Isiguzoro accused Chief Clark of promoting ethnic bigotry, which he said had no place in Nigeria’s diverse and multicultural society. Ohanaeze Ndigbo called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to reject Clark’s divisive rhetoric and encouraged the incorporation of the Old Anambra River Basins into the NDDC, emphasizing that such a move would correct historical injustices and promote national integration, development, and unity. The organization reaffirmed its commitment to a united and prosperous Nigeria, where all ethnic groups are treated with equal rights and opportunities, and where harmony, understanding, and shared prosperity prevail.
Troops Conduct Clearance Operations in Imo, Anambra, Arrest Suspected Terrorist

Over the weekend, troops from “Operation UDO KA II” launched clearance operations in Imo and Anambra, resulting in the arrest of a suspected terrorist and the recovery of materials for making Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), motorcycles, stored provisions, and other logistical items within the terrorists’ camps. The operations were carried out in Lilu community and Orsumoghu Forest in Orsu Local Government Area of Imo, as well as in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra. During these clearance operations, the troops encountered various obstacles and successfully detonated numerous IEDs. They also engaged with terrorists who fled into nearby forests with gunshot wounds due to the troops’ superior firepower. Several terrorist camps and shrines were destroyed during these operations. The Acting Deputy Director of Army Public Relations for the 82 Division in Enugu, Lt.-Col. Jonah Unuakhalu, urged law-abiding citizens in the Southeast region to continue providing timely, credible, and reliable information to security agencies, particularly to “Operation UDO KA II.” Such information could lead to the apprehension of individuals who escaped with gunshot wounds. Unuakhalu also called on the people of the Southeast region to disregard deceptive tweets from self-proclaimed Biafra leader Simon Ekpa. He assured law-abiding residents that the region will be rid of criminal activities, as “Operation UDO KA II” remains committed to combating crime and criminality in accordance with established rules and regulations.
Troops crackdown on oil thieves in Imo, Delta

The Nigeria Army has confirmed its cracked down on illegal refineries in Imo and Delta, with seizure of several litres of illegally refined Petroleum products. The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, made the confirmation in a statement in Abuja. Nwachukwu said the Troops of 343 Artillery Regiment, on Monday, cracked down on an oil thieves’ camp in Obokofia Community in Imo while conducting anti-oil theft operations. According to him, the vigilant troops intercepted 15 sacks and 13 Jerry cans of illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) concealed in the camp. He added that the troops also recovered two pumping machines, three power generators, one hose and a tool box used for hacking into oil pipelines. Nwachukwu said the troops, while acting on credible information, on Tuesday, intercepted a wooden boat loaded with 110 sacks of illegally refined AGO concealed in the creeks of Egbema West in Ohaji Egbema Local Government Area (LGA) of Imo. “The vigilant troops equally intercepted two vehicles loaded with 18 sacks of illegally refined AGO within the same general area. “Members of the public are please implored to report any suspected act of sabotage or criminality to security agencies to enhance ongoing operations to curb economic sabotage in the country,” he said. According to him, “Troops of 3 Battalion also on Monday, clamped down on an active illegal oil refining site containing three cooking ovens and six reservoirs at Enokora Community in Burutu LGA of Delta.”
Again, troops destroy more IPOB/ESN camps in Anambra, Imo

A combined troop of 82 Division, Nigerian Army, sister Services, Nigeria Police, and other security agencies have successfully raided hideouts and training camps belonging to the IPOB/ESN in Orsumoghu Forest spanning Anambra and Imo States. This is contained in a statement by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, on Tuesday in Abuja. Nwachukwu said the raid was in continuation of ongoing operations to deter enforcement of the illegal sit-at-home order declared by the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) and its armed wing, Eastern Security Network (ESN), in the South East. He said the raid operation was carried out on Monday when troops were alerted of the violent activities of the irredentist group enforcing the illegal two weeks sit-at-home order in Onitsha, Nnewi and Iheme Obosi in Anambra State, as well as at New Market in Enugu state. He said the troops cleared IPOB camps in Ekeututu, Orsumoghu, Lilu and Mother Valley camps of the dissidents during the operations. According to him, troops came in contact with the group’s armed fighters, who detonated Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), also known as Ogbunigwe, and fired using locally-fabricated mortar tube. Nwachukwu said the valiant troops overpowered the irredentist group in the firefight, compelling them to abandon their position and fled with gunshot wounds into nearby bushes. “Further cordon and search of the hideouts by the troops, led to the arrest of five fleeing members of the group and recovery of one IPOB flag, one CCTV camera and two detonated IED bombs, and a fabricated mortar tube. “Sadly, five soldiers and two Nigeria Police operatives sustained varying degrees of injuries from the IED detonated by the criminals. “The Nigerian Army encourages all law-abiding citizens of the South East to continue to support ongoing operations with actionable information and to disregard the unlawful two-week sit-at-home order by going about their normal daily activities and businesses. “The Nigerian army, in synergy with sister services and security agencies, will undauntedly continue to protect and safeguard lives and property of the good and enterprising people of South East Nigeria, within the ambit of the law and the rules of engagement,” he said.