IGP Egbetokun Reacts To Call For His Sack By President Tinubu

Kidnapping: Police arrest 32 suspects in Adamawa

The Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has reacted to the calls for him to be sacked by President Bola Tinubu, saying those making the call were entitled to their opinion. The IGP on Thursday, during a meeting with commanders in Abuja, said those calling for his sack are entitled to their opinion and he won’t respond to the calls. He added that he has no problem with those calling for his sack from office as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Egbetokun, said, “I won’t respond to a call for my removal. Anybody can call for my removal. “Anybody who doesn’t like me can come out tomorrow and say, remove the IG. That’s not a problem. We are all entitled to our opinion.”

IGP Speaks On Creation Of State Police

Shakeup In Police As IGP Reassigns 14 AIGs, 26 CPs

The Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, has reaffirmed the Nigeria Police Force’s commitment to adhering to the federal government’s stance on state police. This statement was made during the visit of the Coordinating Deputy Inspector General of Police, South-West, Mr. Abiodun Alabi, who represented the IGP in Lagos on Monday. This is a modal window.The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported. Egbetokun’s remarks come amidst ongoing discussions about the suitability of state police in Nigeria. Previously, on April 22, 2024, he had expressed reservations about the country’s readiness for state-controlled police forces, citing maturity concerns. During the press briefing, DIG Alabi, on behalf of IGP Egbetokun, emphasized the importance of discipline and professionalism within the force. He urged police officers to adhere strictly to the constitutional guidelines that dictate their operations, focusing on human rights and the responsible use of firearms. “The Nigeria Police Force remains dedicated to performing its duties responsibly. We must ensure our actions are always within the bounds of the law and respect for human rights,” Alabi stated. In addition to operational directives, IGP Egbetokun highlighted the welfare of the police officers, announcing initiatives aimed at improving their living conditions. This includes partnerships with consultants to facilitate housing for police personnel, enabling them to access their own homes shortly. The IGP also addressed the mental and physical health of the officers, instructing the officer in charge of Police Medical to conduct comprehensive mental and psychological evaluations for the personnel of the Lagos State command. On the topic of inter-agency cooperation, Egbetokun warned against any rivalries with other security bodies, emphasizing that a collaborative approach is essential for national security. He also called on officers to proactively engage with the youth to educate them on the dangers of cultism, as part of broader efforts to combat this pervasive issue. The meeting concluded with remarks from the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adegoke Fayoade, who noted the success of recent collaborative crime prevention strategies that have led to a significant reduction in crime rates across Lagos.

Nigeria not ripe for state police, says IGP Egbetokun

The Nigeria Police Force has opposed the establishment of state police, saying the country was not ripe for such.  Speaking at a one day dialogue on state policing, Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun said the establishment of state police will execerbate ethnic tension, leading to divided loyalty in the states.  Represented by AIG Ben Okolo, the Inspector General of Police said the establishment of state police will also lead to multiple command structures in the states.  He also said that state governors are likely to abuse the privilege of state police by using it for political gains, leading to possible abuse of power and abuse of huma rights.  He argued that the state government lack thereof required funding that will give birth to the type of policing that the nation requires.  Rather than estabalisibg state police, he recommend the merging of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Federal Road Safety Commission to form a department in the Nigeria Police Force.  He also said there is the need for a yearly recruitment of about 30,000 police personnel into the force annually to meet the UN requirements for morden policing, while also increasing annual budgetary allocation to the force. 

58 deceased policemen’s families get N22.5m in Kaduna 

58 deceased policemen's families get N22.5m in Kaduna 

In a gesture of recognition and support, the Commissioner of Police for Kaduna State Command, Mr. Musa Garba, presented a total of N22.5 million in cheques to the families of 58 police officers who lost their lives while serving on duty within the state. The poignant ceremony, reflecting the appreciation for the sacrifices made by these officers, was conveyed on behalf of the Acting Inspector General of Police, Dr. Kayode Egbetokun. The Deputy Public Relations Officer of the command, ASP Mansir Hassan, disclosed in a statement on Thursday that the symbolic presentation aimed to offer financial assistance to the bereaved families in the wake of their profound loss. Commissioner Garba underscored that the emotional weight of the officers’ sacrifices goes beyond the monetary value of the cheques handed out, reiterating that it was a tangible expression of the Acting IGP’s compassion and support. Garba emphasized that the intention behind the financial aid was to alleviate the challenges faced by the families due to their loved ones’ untimely demise. He urged the recipients to utilize the funds judiciously, recognizing the profound impact it could have on their lives during this challenging time. “The pains associated with the loss of our fallen heroes are incomparable to the value of the cheques issued to the families. “It is the Acting IGP’s way of showing support and concern to those families,” Garba said. He added that it was meant ameliorate the hardships being experienced by the families, and urged them to use the money wisely. Mr Pius Luka who spoke on behalf of the beneficiaries, thanked the police management for the gesture, saying it will help reduce some of the hardships they face since the demise of their loved ones.  One of the beneficiaries, Mr. Pius Luka, conveyed gratitude on behalf of the families for this thoughtful gesture extended by the police management. He acknowledged that the financial support would significantly alleviate the hardships that the families had encountered since losing their beloved officers. This poignant initiative, marked by the presentation of N22.5 million in cheques, demonstrates the commitment of law enforcement to honor the dedication and sacrifices of officers who have fallen in the line of duty. Beyond the monetary value, the gesture holds a deeply empathetic message of support and solidarity with the families left behind, recognizing the challenges they face and aiming to provide some measure of relief.