Details of official report of Ibadan explosion emerge

Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has received the official report of the Jan. 16, explosion that occurred at Adeyi Avenue in Bodija, Ibadan, in which five persons died. The Special Adviser to the Governor on Security, Mr Fatai Owoseni, made this known on Wednesday while briefing newsmen shortly after the presentation of the report to the governor. Owoseni said that three persons of interest have been identified in connection with the cause of the unfortunate incident. He added that the identified persons will face prosecution based on the investigation carried out. Owoseni also revealed that the character of the explosive is known as ‘Water Gel Type Based Explosive’ and that the explosion was triggered by an electric spark. He explained that a Closed Circuit Television in one of the affected houses gave footage of how the incident happened. Owoseni, the former Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, assured that the state government would bring the perpetrators to book. He added that the government would also check the immigration status of all the people of interest since majority of the suspects quizzed were from Mali. “We have been able to report that the swiftness with which security was deployed to the epicentre had so far successfully made the state to fully secure the environment. “And with the security that was provided, the state has also been able to prevent untoward happenings, especially opportunistic crimes that hoodlums always take advantage of such situations to carry out. “We would recall that an emergency situation centre was put in place by the governor, and was located at the premises of Oyo State Housing Corporation, Ibadan. “The EOC has so far collated information, data of things that happened there and some of the data collated include census of the respective houses and the fatalities that were affected including the extent of losses suffered. “As of 6 p.m, Feb 3, which was the 18th day of the incident, a total of 335 affected persons registered at the emergency situation centre. “These include 16 companies or business operators, churches, mosques, three schools and the UCH also approached the centre to report on their losses. “The losses reported also include fatality, injuries of various degrees, damages ranging from total collapse and submerging of houses, houses that suffered collateral damage and the ones that suffered minimal damages,” Owoseni stated. The chairman, Nigeria Institute of Structural Engineers, Mr Mbim Okutinyang, who is also the lead coordinator of the team that carried out structural integrity on the affected houses, also told newsmen that 282 houses were affected. He however said that only four of the houses would have to be demolished due to the degrees of the damage. Okutinyang added that the seismic report was still being awaited. On his part, the Head of the Emergency Operation Centre, Prof. Temitope Alonge, said 80 victims in total were managed across various hospitals following the incident, but only five patients were on admission as of the time of the press briefing. Alonge explained that four of the patients are being treated at the University College Hospital (UCH) and were at various levels of recovery, while one patient is at the Redeemers Hospital being managed for a spinal cord injury. He said that most of the cases at UCH will likely be discharged within the next one week. The head of the EOC added that some of the affected victims that experienced medical disorder such as respiratory illness had been treated. He also explained that those with symptoms suggestive of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder were being attended to by clinical psychologists from UCH. Giving an update on the tests for radioactivity, Alonge said the site of the incident had been cleared in terms of radioactivity, as the EOC invited the Nigerian Nuclear Regulatory Agency (NNRA) to conduct another screening.

Ibadan Explosion: Atiku Reacts As Seyi Makinde Accuses Him Of Not Calling 

Former Vice President and 2023 Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has revealed that he commiserated with victims, people, and the Government of Oyo State following the Ibadan explosion.  Atiku stated this in reply to a statement by Governor Seyi Makinde, who claimed that the former vice president failed to call him over the unfortunate incident. Recall that Makinde had berated Atiku over his failure to show concern regarding the explosion in Ibadan. Makinde stated this on Monday when he received the 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, at his office in Ibadan. The governor said the former vice president has neither called nor sent a condolence message to commiserate with him and the people of his state over the explosion. He stated that President Bola Tinubu, who is a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), had called him over the incident, but Atiku, a member of the same political party as him, had not reached out to him. Reacting in a statement on Monday, Atiku’s Media Adviser, Paul Ibe, stated that the former Vice President released a statement to commiserate with victims and the people of Oyo State. According to him, Makinde has been too busy to take track of media reports on the incident. The statement reads: “With due respect to Governor Seyi Makinde, we wish to correct his expression about the response of His Excellency Atiku Abubakar to the recent explosion in the city of Ibadan. “Atiku Abubakar made a condolence message about the Ibadan explosion, less than 24 hours of its occurrence, where he shared his commiseration and empathy with the good people and government of Oyo State over the incident. “Perhaps the Governor has been too busy to take track of media reports on the incident. But we wish to put on record that on the 17th of January, His Excellency Atiku Abubakar did make a widely available message on the Ibadan incident, which reads as follows: “‘I wish to express my condolences to the good people and government of Oyo State over the explosion that rocked the capital city of Ibadan late yesterday night. “‘While the government continues to provide humanitarian support to victims of the explosion, I commiserate with the families of those who might have lost their lives and property to the explosion. -AA’”

Tinubu Reacts To Ibadan Explosion

President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the tragic incident which happened in Ibadan, Oyo state, on Tuesday, January 16. This was made known in a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President, Ajuri Ngelale, via Dada Olusegun’s X handle on Wednesday, January 17. The statement reads: “President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the devastating explosion that occurred on Tuesday night in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. “The explosion killed two persons and wounded about 80 others. It also destroyed several buildings, vehicles, and other properties.  “It is worrisome that the cause of the blast is being attributed to the activities of illegal miners. Those behind the inexcusable and reckless behaviour that has created the conditions for the sad incident to occur must be fished out and punished,” the President said. “President Tinubu commiserated with the government and people of Oyo State and called on all concerned agencies of government to unravel the circumstances that led to the tragedy with alacrity. “The President directs the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to work with the Oyo State Government to offer immediate and comprehensive relief to the victims.”

Seyi Makinde Reveals Cause Of Ibadan Explosion

Seyi Makinde, governor of Oyo, says two people were killed in the explosion which took place in Ibadan, the capital of the state, on Tuesday night. Makinde said the explosion, which injured 77 people, was caused by illegal miners who stored explosive devices in one of the buildings in the Bodija area of Ibadan. “We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.44 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024 in Bodija, Ibadan,” the governor said. “This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations.” He said preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that “illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast”. Makinde said the investigations are ongoing and all those found culpable for this will be brought to book. The governor said the rescue operations will continue throughout the night. “Earth-moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident,” he said. “The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.” Condoling the families of those who lost lives and properties to the explosion, Makinde said “in total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss”. Makinde assured residents that the state government would take care of the medical bills of all victims of the blast. “We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives,” he said. “I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference. “We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured. “Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations.”