Helicopter Crash In Port Harcourt Claims Three Lives

A tragic incident occurred in Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, where three individuals lost their lives in a helicopter crash. Odutayo Oluseyi, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace Development, confirmed the unfortunate event in a statement released on Thursday. According to the Ministry, eight persons were on board when the helicopter “ditched into the waters near Bonny Finima in the Atlantic Ocean.” The statement reads, “received the distressing report of a helicopter accident that occurred today, 24th October 2024, at about 11:22 a.m., along the waterways in Port Harcourt.“ The helicopter, a Sikorsky SK76 with registration 5NBQG and operated by East Wind Aviation, was en-route from Port Harcourt Military Base (DNPM) to the NUIMANTAN oil rig. “The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau has been notified and emergency response teams were immediately activated, and search and rescue operations are ongoing with the support of the Nigerian Search and Rescue Unit, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), the National Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), and other relevant agencies.“ Neighbouring aerodromes have also been notified for support. “While no Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) signal was received, manual efforts to plot the location of the accident are underway, and all available resources, including the military and low-flying aircraft, have been deployed to assist in locating and rescuing any survivor(s).“So far, three bodies have been recovered.” The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, is actively working with all relevant agencies to ensure a coordinated response and to minimize casualties from this unfortunate incident. “Further information will be provided as details emerge. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those on board, and we are committed to providing the necessary support during this difficult time.” Meanwhile, sources that spoke with TheNation said that all the victims onboard were feared killed. “There were six personnel and two crew members onboard the helicopter. Three bodies have been recovered so far. Search and rescue is ongoing.“ The helicopter belongs to Eastwind Aviation,” the source stated.
RCCG suspends pastor whose wife threw an extravagant birthday party shortly after Herbert Wigwe’s death

The City of David Parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) in Lagos has suspended Pastor Idowu Iluyomade, following the extravagant birthday party of his wife shortly after the d£ath of Herbert Wigwe, former Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of Access Holdings Plc. According to ChurchTimes, a top pastor of the church who did not want his name mentioned said the decision to suspend Iluyomade was in response to the public outcry against the party. “It was not Pastor Adeboye that suspended him. The governing council decided to suspend him. I think it’s a decision in the right direction. Though some believe it is coming late. They needed to investigate some of the things people were saying against him and the church,” the source said. His suspension according to sources in the church was done via a letter over the weekend. He has since been replaced by Pastor Charles Kpandei of RCCG Resurrection Parish of Region 11 of the church. Wigwe, who died on board a chopper in February, was a member of the Parish. The late banker died alongside his wife, Chizoba; son, Chizi and a former Group Chairman of Nigerian Exchange Group Plc, (NGX Group), Abimbola Ogunbanjo. After his death, wife of the Parish Pastor, Dr Siju Iluyomade, held a lavish birthday that left tongues wagging. Distinguished personalities rejoiced with the pastor’s wife at the party, which took place at the Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island Lagos. Some persons expressed displeasure that Iluyomade held such party weeks after the tragic deaths of a prominent member of the church alongside his wife and son. However, signs that the family of Wigwe disapproved of Ilumoyade wife’s action became public when The City of David Parish was skipped in Wigwe’s funeral programmes. Usually, churches where deceased persons attended in their lifetime play key roles at their funeral ceremonies. But the Wigwe family replaced City of David with another RCCG Parish in Lagos for the funeral service.
Tinubu Reacts To Ebrahim Raisi’s Death

President Bola Tinubu has extended his condolences to the government and people of the Islamic Republic of Iran over the passing of President Ebrahim Raisi; Iranian foreign minister, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, and other officials in a helicopter crash. President Tinubu, in a statement by his spokesman, Ajuri Ngelale, expressed profound grief over the disturbing tragedy, and described President Raisi as a leader who was passionately committed to the development of Iran. While commiserating with the bereaved families, President Tinubu prayed for the continuous peace, stability, and prosperity of the Iranian nation. On behalf of the government and people of Nigeria, the President assured the Islamic Republic of Iran of Nigeria’s support and prayers in this moment of grief.
Kenya’s military chief, nine other soldiers killed in helicopter crash

Kenya’s Armed Forces Chief, General Francis Ogolla, and nine other military representatives have been confirmed dead after a helicopter crash. This was revealed by the Kenyan President, William Ruto at a news conference on Thursday. The president subsequently announced three days of national mourning. It was gathered that the helicopter crashed in the west of the country in the Elgeyo Marakwet district, shortly after taking off from the village of Chesegon. The high-ranking military delegation has been visiting Kenyan soldiers in the region. The cause of the crash was initially unclear. According to reports, only two of the 12 people on board survived.
Obi conveys grief over soldiers’ tragic demise in helicopter crash

Peter Obi, the former Governor of Anambra State and the Presidential Candidate of the Labour Party, has shared his profound sorrow following the tragic accident involving an Air Force helicopter that resulted in the loss of 36 soldiers in Niger State earlier this week. Obi conveyed his sentiments through an official statement posted on his verified social media handle (formerly Twitter) on Friday. The unfortunate incident occurred on Monday morning when an MI-171 Helicopter, engaged in a casualty evacuation mission, crashed in Niger State. The Nigerian Air Force, in an announcement made on Thursday, disclosed that the crash transpired in Chukuba Village, Niger. A preliminary investigation is underway to determine the cause of the aviation mishap, according to Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Air Force. In his statement, Obi expressed profound distress at the loss of the soldiers, who were reportedly victims of a terrorist ambush in Niger State. The simultaneous occurrence of the ill-fated military helicopter, engaged in a rescue operation within the same state, only adds to the somberness of the situation. He highlighted the distressing reality of rampant insecurity that pervades many regions of the country, a situation that continues to exact a heavy toll in terms of human lives, property, and the overarching economic well-being of the nation. Obi extended his heartfelt sympathies to the families of the valiant soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice while courageously defending their homeland. According to Obi, these individuals, who fell victim to the tragic events, stood unwaveringly against the scourge of insecurity that grips the nation. He added that their contributions, which is marked by selflessness and dedication, will always be remembered and revered. “The continual loss of lives, of our military men and other citizens, to insecurity is very painful and disgusting. “We must unite as a people, to subdue this monster of insecurity threatening our collective existence, without which, no development will be experienced in the country,” he said. While commiserating with the military agencies over the sad incidents, Obi urged them not to be dispirited over the challenges they faced but to see them as the inevitable path to go before achieving a safe and secure nation for all. He said: “I commiserate with our military agencies whose personnel have continued to pay the supreme price, for peace and security in our nation. “I want you to remain courageous and resilient in the fight. I will also like to encourage a full-scale investigation to be carried out to unravel the cause of the helicopter crash as a way of preventing future occurrences.” The former Anambra governor restated his commitment to ensuring safe and secure Nigerians, adding that fighting insecurity in the country would always be his top priority. According to him, fighting insecurity squarely, remains my priority in the New Nigeria, and so should it be, for long-lasting peace and progress in Nigeria. Finally, Obi prayed God to grant eternal rest to the dead, console their families and console them as a nation over this great loss. He said they would never give up on their nation as it was their greatest heritage in whose service all their sacrifices became noble acts.