24 Countries Seal Qualification For 2023 AFCON

All 24 countries that will trade tackles at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Cote D’Ivoire have sealed qualification for the tournament. Five-time AFCON champions Cameroon on Tuesday spanked Burundi 3-O to complete the star-studded list of qualified teams. A breakdown of the qualified countries shows that 12 former AFCON champions, including three-time champions Nigeria will be on parade come January, 2024. Hosts, Cote d’Ivoire will be leading a strong West African contingent of 11 countries, including holders Senegal, Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Burkina Faso among others. Tanzania representing East Africa returns for a second finals after a brave showing in the qualifiers. The North Africans are represented by seven-time champions Egypt, World Cup semi-finalists Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. Egypt will be looking for an eighth unprecedented title, having reached two of the last three finals in 2017 and at the 2021 edition. There will be no debutants in this edition, as the continent’s football power houses managed to maintain and seal qualification. The 2023 AFCON will take place from January 13 to February 11, 2024, after it was postponed from it’s original June, 2023 date. Full list of 24 qualified countries are: Algeria, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire (Hosts) and DR Congo. Others are Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco and Mozambique, Others are Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal (Title Holders), South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia and Zambia.
ECOWAS solidly behind Nigeria’s policies, says President Embalo

The Economic Commission for West African States (ECOWAS) says it is in support of President Bola Tinubu’s efforts aimed at repositioning Nigeria as the true giant of Africa. President of Guinea- Buissau and Chairman Authority ECOWAS Head of State and Government, Umaro Sissoco Embalo, said this during a private visit to Tinubu on Saturday in Lagos. He said that the economic steps so far taken would not only be for the good of Nigeria but the entire West African sub-region. Addressing newsmen after the visit, Special Adviser, Special Duties, Communications and Strategy to the President, Mr. Dele Alake said the visit was strictly private. “It was a meeting between two African brother-presidents and it was very cordial. Of course, the visiting president appreciated the steps taken by President Bola Tinubu within the last month. “He said he is ready to cooperate with Nigeria and President Bola Tinubu at all times just as the rest of the world have commended him over his recent policies. “They also spoke of the ECOWAS head of government meeting which is imminently coming up and also spoke on other areas of cooperation,” he said. The meeting was attended by Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos, Dele Alake, among others. The Guinea-Bissau leader has left after the over three hours private meeting.
2023 AFCON: Thrilling weekend sees 14 nations book tickets

*Ten places still up for grabs The thrilling weekend of TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Cote d’Ivoire 2023 Qualifiers saw more African football giants’ countries book their place in the continent’s biggest event set to take place between 13 January and 11 February 2024. The qualification of most of the former African champions this past weekend is again another indication that the upcoming TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Cote d’Ivoire 2023 is likely to be one of the most successful events in the competition’s history. There are still qualifier matches to be played on Tuesday as part of the Match Day Five fixture block. Zambia produced possibly the weekend’s most polished performance in front of their home fans in Ndola to secure an emphatic 3-0 victory against tournament hosts and former African champions, Cote d’Ivoire. The results ensured that ‘Chilopopolo’, crowned champions in Gabon 2012, will return to Africa’s most-watched sports event after an eight-year absence. The week of the qualifiers started on a high note for another giant of African football, Egypt. The record-winners of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations confirmed their place in next year’s tournament following a 2-1 victory over Guinea in Marrakech on Wednesday. In another match, a stoppage-time goal was enough for Equatorial Guinea, who beat Tunisia 1-0 on Saturday to secure their ticket for the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations for the second time in a row and a third appearance. On Sunday, Cape Verde recorded an emphatic 3-1 victory over Burkina Faso to confirm their spot for Cote d’Ivoire. Two second-half goals ensured Mali triumphed with a 2-0 win against Congo at the Stade Alphonse Massamba-Debat in Brazzaville to cement their place for the AFCON finals early next year. Nigeria left it very late after a last-gasp winning goal saw them claim a 3-2 victory against Sierra Leone in Monrovia to add their name to the qualified nations for next year’s tournament. Nigeria’s win over Sierra Leone also confirmed Guinea Bissau’s fourth straight qualification for the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations, having won their match against São Tomé and Príncipe by a 1-0 score line on Wednesday. Hosts Cote d’Ivoire, African champions Senegal, FIFA World Cup semi-finalists Morocco, former Champions Tunisia, Algeria, South Africa and the ever-impressive Burkina Faso all booked their places in March 2023. The last round of qualifiers will be in September 2023. The TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Cote d’Ivoire 2023 will kick off on 13 January 2024 and run until 11 February 2024. The event will take place in six different venues: Stade Olympique Alassane Ouattara (56,000 seats) and Stade Felix Houphouet Boigny (28,000 seats), located in Abidjan. The remaining venues are Stade de Korhogo (20,000 seats), Stade de San Pedro (20,000 seats), Stade de Yamoussoukro (20,000 seats), and Stade de la Paix de Bouake (40,000 seats). Qualified Teams