Transportation Minister Hails Maiden Lagos-Ibadan Freight Train Service

Transportation Minister Hails Maiden Lagos-Ibadan Freight Train Service

Minister of Transportation, Sen. Said Alkali, has said that the maiden trip of the Lagos-Ibadan freight train service marks a significant milestone in the country’s railway projects. He said in a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday, that the success of the operation also reinforced the federal government’s dedication to providing a robust transportation network to cater for Nigeria’s growing population. The maiden freight train departed from Apapa Port in Lagos on Thursday and headed to Ibadan, ladened with 30 units of 40-feet containers. Alkali stated that the successful operation of the container freight train reflected the meticulous planning, relentless efforts, and diligent execution by the Ministry of Transportation and its partners. He added that it served as a testament to the ministry’s unwavering commitment at realising the eight-point agenda of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, which prioritised the development of modern and efficient transportation system. The transportation minister noted that the Lagos-Ibadan railway project, a crucial component of Nigeria’s transportation infrastructure, held immense potential to revolutionise the movement of goods and people. He noted also that the completion of the rail project signified a major step in enhancing connectivity, boosting trade, and stimulating economic growth. Alkali expressed satisfaction with Thursday’s successful launch of the container freight train, hailing it as a significant achievement for the nation. “As the Lagos-Ibadan railway continues to expand its operations, it is expected to play a pivotal role in alleviating congestion on roads, reducing travel time, and facilitating seamless movement of goods across the country. “The successful initiation of the container freight train service signifies a promising future for the railway project, further solidifying its position as a vital backbone of Nigeria’s transportation infrastructure,’’ Alkali stressed.

FG Reaffirms Commitment To Tackling Tobacco Use By Children

FG Reaffirms Commitment To Tackling Tobacco Use By Children

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to tackle tobacco use by children in Nigeria. Dr Jamila Ibrahim, Minister of Youth and Social Development, made the commitment in Abuja on Friday when Ms Bintou Camara, Regional Director, Tobacco Control Programme (AFRO) Campaign for Tobacco – Free Kids paid her a courtesy visit. Ibrahim said that tobacco smoking among children was a big challenge facing the country. The minister said Nigeria needs to partner and collaborate with relevant stakeholders to educate Nigerian to understand the health implication of tobacco smoking among young people. “We will focus on adolescent heath. It is the area we need to be proactive in putting mechanisms in place to achieve a preventive approach tobacco smoking among the kids. “We must work with the act that bans tobacco smoking in public places especially to prevent second hand smoke,” she said. Also speaking, Camara said that the organisation was in the country to campaign and educate Nigerians on the danger of tobacco smoking. “We are the leading advocacy organisations in the world that advocate against tobacco smoking. “We are focusing on tobacco control.“Tobacco smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths that is why is it important that we tackle tobacco prevention,” she said. According to her, tobacco companies target the young people in other to safe guard their profits. Camara said that it was important to tackle tobacco control because the world was facing an incredible enemy that may affect public health issues. She said that the organisation had been working for more than 25 years to educate the youths on the danger of tobacco smoking. “The organisation has fought to protect children and save lives from cause of preventable death. “Our vision is a future free of the death and disease caused by tobacco. Because tobacco has killed enough,” Camara said. According to her, it is the tobacco industry that is searching confidently to target young people in other to safe guard the profit over public health. She said that Nigeria was the most important market in Africa and probably the world with beautiful, powerful and strong number of young people in the continent. “Most important thing for us is to raise awareness, educate youths on the consequences of tobacco use. “Tobacco smoking has killed eight million people a year and out of the number 1.2m die from second hand smoke which means you don’t have to be a smoker, you can die from it, suffer from it whether you want it or not,” she said. Camara said that the country had passed the tobacco smoking law, saying that implementation and enforcing was most important, especially for the young people. She described tobacco as the entering way to other drugs that generates negative consequence which include mental health, lost of productive life, lost of good health, and education among others.

FG Working On Safe Resettlement Of IDPs, Others, Matawalle Assures UN

FG Working On Safe Resettlement Of IDPs, Others, Matawalle Assures UN

The Minister of State for Defence, His Excellency, Dr. Bello Muhammed Matawalle MON, has assured the Representative of the United Nations that the Federal Government is working out modalities to resettle returnees and the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Nigeria to a safe and better living condition. The Minister gave this assurance when the Representative of United Nations Mines Action Services paid him a courtesy visit on Tuesday, 24th October 2023 in Ship House Abuja.  Matawalle said that Federal Government would partner with UNMAS in working out a workable solution in reintegrating IDPs and farmers into society for better life. “We need to redesign action plan for the IDP returnees and farmers to go back to their farms,” he said.  According to him there was the need for Federal Government to provide essential technical support for the establishment of a national mine action centre in the North East and extend it to North West where incidence of insurgency has increased. “Such centre will afford the IDPs the opportunity to return to their Communities and have access to quality education.” The representative of the United Nations Mines Action Services to Nigeria, Edwin Faigmane, said that the UNMAS is to collaborate with the Nigerian Army to secure success for Mines Action Services Operations in Nigeria.  Furthermore, he stated that there was need to conduct Technical Surveys to identify hazardous areas that need to be safe before any other activities could take place. Edwin commended the Minister for the audience and requested that they count on Government’s support in identifying areas of collaboration.

FG Committed To Solving Housing Deficit, Says Minister

Housing Deficit: Developer Promises 1,000 Homes For Nigerians In 10 years

The Federal Government is committed and passionate about solving housing deficit in the country. The Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Mr Ahmed Dangiwa, made the pledge when he received Governor Dikko Radda of Katsina State in Abuja. “Since independence, Nigeria has struggled to provide decent housing for its citizens. “In spite of numerous plans, initiatives, projects, and institutions introduced over the past 60 years, progress has been limited. “With rapid population growth, these unsuccessful or suboptimal efforts have led to the accumulation of a significant housing shortage,’’ the minister said. Dangiwa said, the housing sector remains far from where it should be in terms of meeting the needs of millions of Nigerians for decent shelter while contributing as a catalyst for economic growth, job creation, and poverty eradication. “This is the challenge that President Bola Tinubu has put on my shoulders. With the grace of Allah, I am committed to putting in the hard work necessary to break the jinx of failure and achieve historic success. “As part of our efforts to achieve this, we have outlined a series of housing reform initiatives in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda for Housing and Urban Development of President Tinubu. “We plan to embark on a Stakeholder Engagement Drive with State Governors nationwide towards achieving it. Commending the governor for his achievements within a short time, Dangiwa solicited the support of the indigenes of Katsina to ensure the Radda-led administration transforms the state. ‘His tireless efforts in improving security, education, agriculture, infrastructural development, and the welfare of our citizens is a testament to his vision for a prosperous Katsina. ‘As a fellow son of Katsina state, I am immensely proud of the momentum of achievements that he has recorded in such a short time and I pray to the Almighty to continue to grant him the wisdom, understanding, and good health to transform our state. “As the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, I approach my work with the full understanding of the huge responsibility that accompanies it,’ he said. Read also: The minister encouraged Governor Radda to deepen collaboration with key housing agencies, including the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria, Federal Housing Authority, and the Family Homes Funds, to increase access to affordable housing for Katsina indigenes. Earlier, Radda said that the provision of affordable housing remains part of its priority programmes to improve the lives of its citizens. According to the governor, Katsina state is ready to collaborate with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development to open the cities in the state. “Urban renewal is one of the major priority of our administration. “We want to expand our city, we are in the process of developing Katsina master plan which has expired in the last 30 years. “So, urban renewal is one of the major focus of our administration and affordable housing to serve the people. “So, we are thinking collaboration with the Housing and Urban Development Ministry to tap from your experiences to help us in achieving our goal of renewing our cities and towns in the state,’’ Radda said. 

We’ll deliver millennium tower project in 2 years –Wike

We’ll deliver millennium tower project in two years –Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr Nyesom Wike declared that the ministry will deliver the Millennium Tower project in the next two years. Wike stated this in Abuja after a closed-door meeting with contractors handling different projects in the FCT. The Millennium Tower at Central Area, Abuja, is a multifunctional edifice with facilities for cultural exposition, tourism, socialisation, recreation, hospitality, and commercial activities. The project is being handled by Salini Construction Nigeria Limited but was abandoned due to lack of funds. He said that the tower was a very important project that would change the landscape of Abuja city. “It is a very ambitious project, but again if we are talking of Abuja being one of the best cities in the world, then we must have such a facility. “I can tell you it is not easy to go into that project, but we have decided that whatever it takes, it is going to be one of the legacy projects for President Bola Tinubu. “In fact, we are looking at the next two years, if the way we are going to structure our payment is agreeable with the contractor,” Wike said. NAN reports that the project, conceived in 2005 had reached 40 per cent completion, and is expected to, upon completion, self-finance itself from revenues generated from all the commercial activities in the complex. The scope of the project comprises a cultural centre with four museums, an expansive arcade consisting of 40,000m2 platform for hosting national and other events. It also consists of a five-star hotel with 55 luxury rooms and nine suites for about 130 persons, offices, passive and active recreational facilities, 1200 capacity auditorium, conference rooms, Others are exhibition halls, shops, a sport centre with an indoor pool, gyms, fitness, squash courts and a two-level 1,200 capacity basement car park. The millennium tower itself is a 170-meter-tall structure accommodating a revolving panoramic restaurant for more than 130 diners. The minister added that a careful analysis of all the awarded contracts with the contractors and his team have revealed that most of the projects were abandoned for lack of funds. “The Minister of State, myself, the permanent secretary, and directors have concluded that it is not possible to carry on with the entire projects in the FCT. “Therefore, we agreed to take them in order of priority. We have tried to work out most of the projects being handled by Julius Berger and agreed to see that these projects are fully completed,” he said. Wike added that the Villa Roundabout being handled by China Geo-engineering Corporation (CGC) Nigeria Limited, would be completed in the next six to eight months. He equally said that the ministry would ensure the completion of the projects being handled by Cetraco Nigeria Ltd, and also put a facelift on Garki, Wuse and part of Maitama in the next one week. He said that the contractors would be mobilised immediately, adding that Asokoro would equally have a facelift in no distant time. On the Abuja light rail rehabilitation project, the minister said that an agreement has been concluded with CCECC Nigeria Limited to give them their money in the next two days so they can go to work. “We are also discussing with the company on the operation cost, because it will not be good to rehabilitate and then you cannot operate. “We have told them that on Thursday, we are going to meet to talk about the operation cost,” he said. Wike pointed out that part of the problems of the projects was because they were not being funded by the national budget. He said that in view of the funding challenge, the ministry would pick some projects that could be completed within a specific period and then decide on what to do again in the following year.