Mark bemoans mass killings, urges FG to be more proactive

Former President of the Senate, David Mark has called on the Federal Government to be more proactive in tackling the high level of insecurity in the country. He stated this in a goodwill message by his Special Adviser on Media, Mr Paul Mumeh on Sunday in Kano to commemorate this year’s Easter celebration. Mark bemoaned the unabating violent crimes, especially in the North Central states of Plateau and Benue that had claimed lives and properties. According to him, the menace of violent crimes, kidnapping and armed herdsmen, devastating parts of the country, is becoming worrisome and needs to be tackled headlong. He suggested that such violent and murderous groups perpetrating the acts, should be declared as terrorists and should be treated as such. “We must not shy away from the truth. If they are not terrorists, why are they killing people, destroying communities and chasing people away from their ancestral homes,” he said. Mark decried the unending activities of armed herdsmen, suspected to be behind the killings and kidnappings. According to him, their activities are unacceptable and should not only be condemned, but be prohibited in its entirety, as nobody has the right to take anybody’s life. On the unabating murderous attacks on several communities in Benue and Plateau, he called on the Federal Government to proscribe open grazing in all parts of the country. Mark, who decried the carnage going on in the two states, said that a debilitating disease deserves a more serious medication, if it must be cured. Rather than the open grazing, he called for the establishment of an enclosed ranching, as was being practiced in other climes. The former senate president, whose Otukpo, Benue South country home had been under suspected herdsmen attacks, called for a more inclusive approach to tackle insecurity in all ramifications. He called for the establishment of a well-equipped Border Security Forces (BSF) to halt the influx of suspected criminals into the country. According to him, most of these suspected herders killing the citizens, take advantage of the porous nature of the borders, by streaming into the country unchecked, from other neighbouring countries. “We must not allow criminal elements to stream into our country. We must change our strategy. Maybe, we can begin to think of fencing our borders like India, Israel, the U.S. and Mexico,” he said. He said that when established, the National Border Security Force (NBSF) would not only be saddled with the mandate of policing the porous borders. “It will also have the mandate of fighting terrorism, kidnapping and other violent crimes,”he said. He commiserated with the people and governments of the two states and all those who lost their loved ones.
IPOB Opposes RUGA in S/East, Warns Against Cattle Settlements

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has firmly rejected plans to introduce cattle ranching or settlement schemes, including RUGA, in Nigeria’s South-East region. The group issued a stern message to President Bola Tinubu’s administration, warning that any such initiative would be met with resistance. RUGA, a policy aimed at resolving herder-farmer conflicts through designated settlements, has been a point of contention in the region. READ ALSO: Fubara Draws the Line Amid Tension With Wike’s Loyalists IPOB reiterated its longstanding opposition, arguing that such schemes could serve as a cover for herdsmen camps and potentially disrupt the peace in the South-East. In a New Year address, IPOB leadership also cautioned Enugu State Governor Peter Mbah against implementing RUGA within the state. The group stated that any attempt to enforce cattle settlements in Biafraland would provoke strong opposition, emphasizing their determination to protect the region’s sovereignty. This development signals growing tension over federal policies related to cattle grazing and land use in Nigeria.
Again, Rampaging Armed Bandits Kill 3, Abduct Others In Benue

Once again, a group of armed assailants, suspected to be Fulani herdsmen, has carried out a violent attack in Benue State, resulting in the tragic loss of three lives and the abduction of several others. The incident occurred as innocent victims were en route from Makurdi, the capital of Benue State, to Otukpo, the headquarters of Benue Zone C senatorial district. The attack took place in Tyolaha, a village situated within the Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State. According to Agbo Daniel Adakole, a youth leader who provided insight into the incident to NIGERIAN ANCHOR, the attackers were heavily armed and indiscriminately fired their weapons, resulting in the loss of three lives and numerous injuries. Additionally, there are reports of individuals still missing. Adakole further disclosed that the perpetrators of this heinous act were armed Fulani herders. The victims primarily consisted of local residents who were traveling on the Benue Links Bus service along the Makurdi-Naka-Otukpo route. At the time of filing this report, it remains unconfirmed whether the incident has been reported to the Benue State command of the Nigerian Police or if any law enforcement agencies have been alerted for assistance. These armed bandits have been a persistent threat, targeting and harming both farmers and travelers in the border areas between the Idoma and Tiv-speaking regions of Benue State. Notably, just two weeks ago, on October 2nd, a gruesome armed attack occurred in the village of Agagbe, close to Tse-Awuna in Gwer LGA, resulting in the loss of three lives.