EFCC Picks New Date For Yahaya Bello’s Arraignment

Antigraft: EFCC Secures 1,688 Convictions In 9 Months

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has reportedly picked a new date for the arraignment of former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello. The anti-graft agency fixed June 27 for a hearing in the alleged money laundering case instituted by EFCC against Bello at the instance of the anti-graft agency’s lawyers. According to Daily Post, the new date was fixed without prior information from the defendant’s lawyers. At the resumed hearing on Thursday, counsel to Bello, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, told the court that the EFCC lawyers approached Aliyu AbdulWahab, SAN, who is the counsel for the defendant, that the earlier date, June 13 date, would not be convenient for them to proceed and that Wahab had to agree by way of convenience for another date to be set. He said he was surprised when he heard that EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo was in court. He said, “They (EFCC) agreed that junior counsel would be sent to court today to formally pick a date. And the registry can confirm this. Kemi Pinhero, SAN, the lead counsel, has been calling us to say today is not convenient.” However, for the decision of the EFCC to seek an adjournment to a future date for his arraignment, Bello was said to be ready to appear in court on Thursday. Adedipe added, “Under 266 ACJA there are instances when defendants don’t need to come and this is one of them. “We came here to pick a date. Of what use will the defendant coming here be? It is the prosecuting counsel that approached us, we did not approach them. We have nothing to hide.”

₦19.4 Billion Fraud: Court Grants Sirika, Brother N200 Million Bail

Justice Suleiman Belgore of the Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday granted bail to the former Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, and his brother, Ahmad Abubakar Sirika. The bail was set at ₦100 million each, with stringent conditions attached, reflecting the seriousness of the charges against them. Both defendants are required to provide two sureties, one of whom must own a landed property within the Federal Capital Territory, valued at a similar sum. In addition to the financial conditions, the court has restricted their travel, stipulating that the Sirika brothers cannot leave Nigeria without prior permission from the court. This decision comes after careful consideration of the bail application, with Justice Belgore stating he found no reason to deviate from the bail conditions previously granted by Justice Sylvanus Oriji of the same court. Ruling on the motion on notice for the 1st defendant, Hadi Sirika, the court held that “The prosecution filed no counter affidavit. He is already on administrative bail, he met all the bail applications, he continues to abide by the bail conditions, he has never been convicted of any criminal offence in Nigeria, he is a recipient of National honours, he has an aged mother he is catering for an investigation in the case has been completed. “It is my resolution that this applicant deserves to be admitted to bail and I so do.” Concerning Sirika’s brother, ruling on the motion on notice, brought pursuant to Sections 158, 156 and 135 of ACJA, where he requested a sole relief (bail). The trial judge granted him bail in the same terms and conditions as the 1st defendant (Sirika). The Sirika brothers, and the company, Enginos Nigeria Limited, are facing a ten-count amended charge bordering on contract fraud to the tune of ₦19.4 billion.

N6.9bn Fraud: FG arraigns Emefiele, allies Thursday

Release Or Produce Emefiele On November 8, Court Orders EFCC

The Federal Government will on Thursday arraign suspended Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Godwin Emefiele, and his associates for N6.9 billion procurement fraud at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Abuja. Emefiele will be arraigned alongside a female CBN employee, Sa’adatu Yaro and her company, April1616 Investment Limited on 20 charges of procurement fraud, conspiracy and conferring corrupt advantages on his associates. The embattled apex bank chief, who has been in detention since he was suspended from office on June 9, 2023, was accused of conferring corrupt advantages on Yaro, a director in April 1616 Investment Ltd. The offence is contrary to Section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000. The section read, “Any public officer who uses his office or position to gratify or confer any corrupt or unfair advantage upon himself or any relation or associate of the public officer or any other public officer shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to imprisonment for five years without an option of fine.’’ In the charges signed by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Federal Ministry of Justice, Mohammed Abubakar; Deputy Director, Public Prosecution, Mrs Nkiru Jones-Nebo and eight other ministry officials, the three accused persons were alleged to have bought a fleet of over 98 exotic vehicles and armoured buses valued at about N6.9bn. Some of the vehicles bought between 2018 and 2020 included 84 Toyota Hilux vehicles, 10 armoured Mercedes Benz buses, three Toyota Landcruisers and one Toyota Avalon car. Count one read, “That you, Godwin Ifeanyi Emefiele, male, adult, sometime in 2018 within the jurisdiction of this honourable court did use your position as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria to confer a corrupt advantage on Sa’adatu Ramallan Yaro, a staff member of the Central Bank of Nigeria by awarding a contract for the supply of 37 (Nos.) Toyota Hilux Vehicles at the cost of N854,700,000 only to April 1616 Investment Ltd, a company in which she is a director and thereby committed an offence. “Statement of the offence: Conferring corrupt advantage contrary to section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000.’’ The Federal Government further accused Emefiele of conspiracy to confer corrupt advantage on the second defendant contrary to sections 26 (c) and 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 and punishable under Section 19 of the same Act. “That you, Godwin Ifeanyi Emefiele, male, adult, Sa’adatu Ramallan Yaro, female, adult, and April 1616 Investment Ltd, sometime in 2019 within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did conspire amongst yourselves to use the office of Mr. Godwin Ifeanyi Emefiele as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria to confer a corrupt advantage on Sa’adatu Ramallan Yaro, a staff of the Central Bank of Nigeria by awarding a contract for the supply of 1 (No.) Toyota Landcruiser V8 at the cost of N73,800,000 only to April 1616 Investment Ltd,” the charge stated. Emefiele was said to have also conferred a corrupt advantage on Yaro by awarding a contract for the supply of one Toyota Avalon at the cost of N99.9m to her company, April1616 Investment Ltd., in 2019. The suspended governor was also accused of awarding a contract for the supply of another Toyota Landcruiser V8 for N77.050m to the third defendant in 2018. The ex-CBN governor was said to have conspired with Yaro to confer corrupt advantages on the CBN staffer by awarding to her a contract for the supply of two Toyota Hilux Shell specification vehicles at the cost of N44.2m sometime in 2020. Emefiele was further alleged to have awarded another contract to Yaro and her firm for the purchase of one Toyota Landcruiser VXR valued at N96m in 2020. Yaro was similarly accused of fraudulent acquisition of property for getting a contract from the CBN for the supply of 47 Toyota Hilux vehicles at the cost of N1,085, 700,000 and thereby committed a punishable offence. Other counts read, “That you, Sa’adatu Rammala Yaro, female, adult, sometime in 2018 within the jurisdiction of this honourable court while being employed at the CBN knowingly held directly a private interest as director in April1616 Investment Ltd., in a contract awarded to the said company, for the supply of 47 Toyota Hilux vehicles at the cost of N1,085, 700,000 and thereby committed an offence.’’ Count 11, “That you, Sa’adatu Rammala Yaro, female, adult, sometime in 2018 within the jurisdiction of this honourable court while being employed at the CBN knowingly held directly a private interest as director in April1616 Investment Ltd., in a contract awarded to the said company, emanating from the CBN where you are employed, for the supply of 10 Mercedes Benz armoured buses at the cost of N2,222, 500,00 and thereby committed an offence.’’ Listed as witnesses against the defendants were the CBN Director of Procurement, Stanley Alvan; CBN Head of Procurement, Mike Agboro, Tahir Jafar, David Usman and “any other witnesses to be supplied later in the additional proof of evidence.’’

Ezekwesili hails JAMB’s sanctions on Mmesoma for UTME result fraud

Ezekwesili hails JAMB's sanctions on Mmesoma for UTME result fraud

Obiageli Ezekwesili, a former Minister of Education, has voiced her support for the sanctions imposed by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Mmesoma Ejikeme for falsifying her Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) result. This comes after the Anambra State Committee of Inquiry set up by Governor Charles Soludo confirmed that Mmesoma, a student at Anglican Girls Secondary School, Nnewi, manipulated her result using her phone. Ezekwesili had previously called for a thorough investigation into the fraud allegations following JAMB’s decision to withdraw Mmesoma’s result and ban her from taking the examination for the next three years. However, in a Twitter post on Saturday, Ezekwesili expressed her support for the sanctions, stating that she had reviewed the report of the Anambra State Committee and was satisfied with their investigation process and findings, which allowed Mmesoma a fair hearing to gather all the relevant facts. Amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Mmesoma’s result, with JAMB asserting that her score of 249 was manipulated to 362, Ezekwesili emphasized the importance of conducting a comprehensive investigation to establish the truth of the matter. She expressed her contentment that the process provided Mmesoma with a fair hearing, as indicated by the Anambra State panel report, which was signed by the Commissioner for Information, Paul Nwosu. Below is the full statement by the former Minister titled: “Mmesoma and @JAMBHQ Saga” “I have just read the report of the Committee set up by Anambra State Government to investigate and report their independent findings on the Mmesoma and JAMB Saga. “I am satisfied with the process and findings of their investigation which gave Mmesoma a fair hearing to enable the Committee to gather all facts. “It was necessary to have independent evidence that the result Mmesoma laid claim to publicly was not only fake but that the forgery was personally orchestrated by her. “There are usually syndicates at the centre of perpetration of exam malpractices in Nigeria but it appears not to be so in Mmesoma’s case from the facts of the Committee’s report. “Mmesoma’s action has consequences. I, therefore, support the sanctions imposed by JAMB as a deterrent to all who participate in the systemic exam malpractices within our educational system. “I also recommend sustained counseling for Mmesoma by the family, school, and church to support her as she reflects on this tragic episode and makes a decision to embrace values and rewards of effort while eschewing dishonest gain for the rest of her life. “I do hope that the lessons of this case will help all our pupils, students, parents, guardians and the public at large renew a collective commitment to uphold Exam Integrity in Nigeria as a cornerstone of Nigeria’s Values and Reward System for our children and youth. “I wish to thank JAMB for their good work and encourage the Registrar and his team to continue with their critical service to our country and people as we all join them to sustain raising of awareness on Exam Integrity.”  Obiageli “Oby” EzekwesiliFormer Minister of Education

Binance Nigeria Limited a scam, Global CEO declares

Images

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Binance, Changpeng Zhao on Sunday declared that the Binance Nigeria Limited is a scam entity. Binance is a leading cryptocurrency platform globally.  In a statement in his verified twitter handle Zhao said “Binance Nigeria Limited is a scam.   “Binance have issued a cease & desist notice to the scammer entity “Binance Nigeria Limited”. Don’t believe everything you read in the news.” This comes as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) had declared that Binance Nigeria is operating illegally in Nigeria.  SEC had said the crypto entity was not registered or regulated by the Commission.  

Tribunal: Atiku tenders statisticians’ reports against Tinubu

Bayelsa, Imo, Kogi Elections: Vote Only PDP Candidates, Atiku Begs Nigerians

The Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) on Wednesday admitted as exhibits, three sets of reports prepared by a group of Statisticians on the electoral forms used during the last presidential election. Atiku’s Subpoened witness, PW21, a renowned Statistician, Samuel Oduntan made these reports available during his evidence-in-chief led by counsel to Atiku, Eyitayo Jegede SAN. Inspite of objections by the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC, Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress APC against the testimony of the witness, the Presiding Justice of the Court, Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani admitted the three reports as exhibits. At Wednesday’s proceedings, former NBA President, Abubakar Mahmud SAN, Wole Olanipekun SAN and Lateef Fagbemi SAN conducted the case of INEC, Tinubu and APC respectfully. Besides opposing the admission of the documents, the three respondents also kicked against the bid to consider the reports as being read in the open court. Meanwhile, Justice Tsammani has fixed June 15 for further hearing of the petition especially the cross examination of the witness