NFF to set up normalization c’ttees for A’Ibom, Nasarawa, others

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has opted to immediately set up Normalization Committees for temporary administration of the Football Associations of Akwa Ibom, Nasarawa, Kogi and Kaduna States. This followed flagrant disregard of directives from the NFF by the said State FAs not to proceed with conduct of their elections as a result of court injunctions and petitions, in varying cases, and various shades of irregularities in the processes leading to the so-called elections. Ali Muhammad Abubakar, NFF’s Head of Member Associations, explained: “Normalization Committees will be set up for Akwa Ibom, Nasarawa, Kogi and Kaduna States. All four States have failed to uphold the Statutes and the electoral code in their processes. Article 85 of the FIFA-approved NFF Statutes, under Unforeseen Contingencies and Force Majeure clearly stipulates that ‘the Executive Committee shall have the final decision on any matters not provided for in the Statutes or in cases of force majeure’. “However, the NFF has decided to uphold the decision of the Edo State FA to pass a vote of no confidence on its chairman, Mr. Rowland Abu, and to have the vice chairman in the role of Ag. Chairman. He has been told to lead the charting of a roadmap to the conduct of free, fair and credible local football councils’ elections and subsequently, the FA executive committee elections.” Thenff.com gathered that a monitoring committee set up by the NFF will be in Jos on Monday, 12 June 2023 to assess the current situation in the Plateau State Football Association, and subsequently take a decision on the swirling controversies in the FA’s situation. A normalization committee was approved for Akwa Ibom State because elections were conducted in contravention of a court injunction, and subsequent advice by the NFF not to go ahead. The tenure of the executive committee had since elapsed on 23 May. With regards to Nasarawa State, so-called elections were conducted into the FA executive committee without first conducting elections into the local football councils, and the identities of delegates were shrouded in secrecy. The tenure of the FA board had since expired on 27 May. The situation in Kogi State was similar, with the tenure of the Kogi State FA executive committee having expired on 28 May. As for Kaduna State, the tenure of the board expired on 31 May without elections, either into the local football councils (which were dissolved nearly four years ago) or the State FA.
West Ham beat Fiorentina to win Europa Conference League

Jarrod Bowen’s dramatic 90th-minute goal secured West Ham their first major European trophy since 1965 with a 2-1 win over Fiorentina in the Europa Conference League final on Wednesday night. It is the second European trophy for West Ham after they won the now defunct Cup Winners’ Cup 58 years ago with a team including England World Cup heroes Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. Bowen picked up a superb through ball from Lucas Paqueta, before sending a low shot past a helpless Pietro Terracciano in the Fiorentina goal. “I obviously dreamed of scoring but to score the winner in the last minute. It’s what you always say you want to do,” Bowen told BT Sport. “To do it in front of these fans. I thought I was going to cry. I’m just happy.” Said Benrahma had opened the scoring for West Ham in Prague as he blasted a penalty past Terracciano on 62 minutes after VAR had caught Cristiano Biraghi handling the ball trying to stop Bowen in the box. Giacomo Bonaventura levelled five minutes later, beating West Ham goalkeeper Alphonse Areola with a fine, low right-footed effort. Bonaventura capitalised on a superb header back from Nicolas Gonzalez who had leapt over West Ham full-back Emerson. The champions’ name will be the second ever on the Conference League trophy following Roma, who won the maiden edition of the competition last year. West Ham have also clinched a spot in next season’s Europa League with the win, while Fiorentina will miss out on European competition after finishing eighth in the Serie A. West Ham’s previous major trophy was back in 1980 when they won the FA Cup. They spent most of the last season battling the prospect of relegation, finishing 14th in the Premier League in the end.
CAF CC: USM Alger win first continental title (With Photos)

USM Alger created history by clinching their first-ever continental title as they edged out Tanzania’s Young Africans (Yanga) on the away goals rule in a thrilling finale of the 2022-23 TotalEnergies CAF Confederation Cup. Despite a 1-0 defeat at home in front of a packed Stade du 5 Juillet in Algiers on Saturday night, USM Alger’s 2-2 aggregate score, courtesy of their 2-1 first-leg victory in Dar es Salaam, secured them the coveted trophy. Although the loss may have dampened the celebration, it couldn’t diminish the euphoria of becoming the first Algerian side to win the TotalEnergies CAF Confederation Cup. Yanga, appearing in their maiden continental final, came tantalizingly close to their own momentous achievement after Djuma Shabani’s first-half penalty. However, they were unable to find a crucial second goal to swing the tie in their favor and claim the crown on enemy territory. USM Alger’s captain Zineddine Belaid had a second-half penalty saved, but his disappointment was forgotten as the Algerian side held on to a 1-0 defeat at the final whistle, securing their place in history. Yanga faced a daunting task, needing to win by a margin of more than two goals. They got off to a perfect start when they were awarded a penalty just seven minutes into the match after Saadi Radouani’s challenge on Kennedy Musonda. Shabani confidently converted the spot-kick, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way and giving Yanga an early lead. The early goal was precisely what the Tanzanian side needed to fuel their pursuit of victory, and they continued to apply pressure on USM Alger. In the 30th minute, Alger came agonizingly close to equalizing when Aimen Mahious rose to meet a cross from Khaled Bousseliou, but his header narrowly missed the target. Yanga’s Fiston Mayele, who was tightly marked, had a glimpse at goal when he expertly controlled a lofted pass from Musonda, but he failed to find the target with his subsequent touch.
NFF, Tingo seal partnership agreement on Federation Cup

The country’s oldest football championship, known presently as Federation Cup, secured another title sponsor on Thursday as the Nigeria Football Federation and Tingo signed a partnership agreement on the prestigious competition. At a modest but colourful ceremony inside the NFF Secretariat, President of NFF, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa Gusau declared that the first partnership agreement in the life of the new NFF administration had taken some months to seal because his team places more premium on integrity and credibility of partnerships and relationships than the number of such relationships. “We took our time to conduct due diligence on the company and we found them to be upright and credible. For us, it is about credibility and integrity. A number of corporates have approached us for partnerships but we are taking our time to evaluate things. “I congratulate Tingo for their steadfastness to ensure the actualization of this relationship. We believe it is the beginning of great things that will happen between the company and the NFF going forward.” NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi added that the Federation is delighted to secure sponsorship for the oldest and most glamorous football championship in the land, and would go extra mile to ensure that Tingo derives the appropriate mileage from the title sponsorship. Chief Operating Officer of Tingo, Mr. Peter Owokolo commended the NFF for the opportunity given to the company to engage Nigeria Football at such a high level, and promised to explore areas of further positive contributions to the Nigeria game. “We are honoured to be here and to be able to take the title sponsorship of such a prestigious competition as the Federation Cup. It is a privilege. We are committed to promoting and positively projecting Nigeria Football in every way we can.” The Federation Cup began as the Governor’s Cup in 1945, and has been addressed variously as the Challenge Cup and the Football Association (FA) Cup over the decades. It became Federation Cup in 2008, when the Nigeria Football Association became Nigeria Football Federation following the approval of its Congress in Makurdi, Benue State. Also at the event were Tingo’s Project Coordinator, Dr. Segun Sanni; the Chairman/CEO of Skills and Dribbles Marketing Company (facilitators of the agreement), Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq; NFF Deputy General Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Ikpeme; Director of Finance and Administration, Mr. E. C. Kadiri; Director of Communications, Mr. Ademola Olajire; Director of Legal, Barr. Okey Obi; Director of Audit, Mr. Yohanna Mathias; Head of Marketing and Sponsorship, Mr. Alizor Chuks; Head of Protocol, Mr. Barnabas Joro; Head of International Competitions, Mr. Enebi Achor and; Chief Operating Officer of the Nigeria Women Football League, Ms Modupe Shabi.
U20 W/Cup: Nigeria Coaches hail Bosso, Flying Eagles for beating Argentina

The Nigeria Football Coaches Association (NFCA) has commended the Chief Coach of the Flying Eagles, Isah Ladan Bosso, his lads, the Flying Eagles, and the backroom staff over their emphatic 2-0 victory against host nation Argentina in the ongoing FIFA U-20 World Cup. In a statement signed by the association’s Public Relations Officer, Etta Egbe, the Acting President of the Association, Dr. Isiaka Salami, praised the leadership, technical and tactical efficiency of Coach Isah Ladan Bosso against Argentina, which were rated as favourites to win the 2023 Under 20 World Cup. He was full of praises for the boys, the Flying Eagles, who gave their best that made Nigeria to record this rare achievement against Argentina. Dr. Salami admonished the team to work towards taking the next three important steps to winning the Under 20 World Cup, by maintaining that spirit of determination to win and hard work. He advised the team to celebrate less, be focused and prepare more for the task ahead. He stated that apart from the members of the Nigeria Football Coaches Association who are solidly behind the Flying Eagles, the entire country stands behind them. This is the time Nigeria needs the U20 World Cup the most. “We pray for you to succeed”, he added.
U20 W/Cup: F’Eagles stun hosts Argentina 2-0 to berth quarterfinals

Nigeria’ Flying Eagles eliminated host nation Argentina as goals from Ibrahim Muhammad and Rilwanu Haliru Sarki sent the six-time champions out of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup on Wednesday night. On an incredible night in western Argentina, the Flying Eagles pulled out every trick in the book to defend in numbers and then score two goals through quick counter-attacks. The performance in this round of 16 match had the Albiceleste Sub-20, who had won all their three matches in the group phase, stunned as they crashed out of the tournament. Nigeria Head Coach Ladan Bosso had promised that his boys would give as much as they got, and they did that and more with clear intent from the ninth minute. That was when a snapshot by Ibrahim Muhammad on the edge of the penalty box went narrowly off. There were even exchanges afterwards, and the South Americans came close with a header in the 39th minute. But the Flying Eagles returned with more stamina and guile in the second half and completely dominated the hosts in front of nearly 30,000 fans in San Juan. Goalkeeper Chijioke Aniagboso had saved from Barco in the 51st minute and Jude Sunday’s shot was held by the opposition goalie. Thereafter the two-time silver medallists struck the underside of the bar with an intelligent shot from the edge of the box by Tochukwu Nnadi in the 58th minute. The hosts did escape there, but would not be that lucky three minutes later, when from a long Aniagboso ball out, substitute Emmanuel Umeh found an onrushing Muhammad. He stretched beyond the attention of two defenders and pushed the ball beyond the advancing goalkeeper into the net. Two minutes later, Umeh could have turned goalscorer when he ran powerfully down the left and planted himself in a good position, but dragged his shot a little too wide. Carboni saw his shot held by the calm Aniagboso and then headed wide, before Umeh again came close only to be foiled with the goalkeeper beaten. The nifty Romero hit the upright with a deceptive shot in the 83rd minute. Also, Abel Ogwuche cleared the ball as two Argentines were set to pull the trigger in the 85th minute with things becoming really anxious. The hosts, who are under the tutelage of the legendary Javier Mascherano, poured forward in search of the equaliser, and were then open to a sucker punch. AC Milan’s Victor Eletu showed tenacity to hold on to another long Aniagboso ball out of defence. He then lifted for Haliru Sarki to nod into the net with aplomb for Nigeria’s second with one minute into added time. The victory somewhat atoned for Argentina’s 2-1 defeat of Nigeria in the final of the 2005 edition of the competition in The Netherlands. That was when Lionel Messi scored twice from the penalty kick spot to deny the African champions. Victory took the Flying Eagles to the quarter-finals, where they meet the winners of the Ecuador/South Korea Round of 16 duel to be decided on Thursday.
WAFU U20 Women Tourney: Falconets trounce Benin Republic 3-0 to reach Final

Nigeria strolled to a 3-0 win over Benin Republic in the second semi-final of the WAFU B U20 Women Championship in Kumasi on Wednesday, easily picking their ticket to the Final match to be decided on Saturday at the same Baba Yara Stadium. Expectedly, the World Cup quarter-finalists didn’t have to break much sweat on the night, with Amina Omowunmi Bello putting them in front in the 23rd minute of the game. Precocious attacking midfielder Esther Onyenezide hit a brace, scoring first in the 34th and then in the 52nd minute to put daylight between both teams in Ghana’s second city. Nigeria’s Chinyere Kalu was selected as Most Valuable Player of the Match. Hosts Ghana won the first semi final match, defeating Burkina Faso’s Dames 3-1 to reach the final on Saturday. Saturday’s final jangles the bell of the interesting rivalry between Ghana and Nigeria at all levels of the game, and the hosts would wish they could stop the 19-goal Falconets who are already looking like champions-in-waiting. Tournament top scorer Opeyemi Ajakaye did not add to her tally on Wednesday night, but Saturday’s final is a great opportunity for her to raise her total haul for the championship.
Juventus reject €50m offer from Bayern for Vlahovic

Juventus Football Club have refused a 50-million-euros (53.45-million dollars) offer from Bayern Munich for forward Dusan Vlahovic. Vlahovic moved to Juventus from Fiorentina last summer for a sum of 80 million euros and has a contract until June 2026. In spite of a weak season, in which he scored 14 goals in 42 games, Vlahovic is still seen as a future talent. According to the report, Juventus expect better offers for the forward to consider starting negotiations. Due to a 10-point deduction for irregularities in the club’s accounting, Juventus are set to miss the UEFA Champions League next season. Vlahovic’s sale could help the team compensate for the financial losses.
WAFU B Championship: Falconets spank Niger Republic 7-0

Nigeria’s under-20 women national team on Sunday in Kumasi whipped their Niger Republic counterparts 7-0 in their opening game at the inaugural West Africa Football Union (WAFU) Zone B Championship. The the match had a lot in stock for spectators at the Baba Yara Stadium when it finally got underway after a one-hour delay. The Falconets completely dominated the game, getting off to a flying start through goals by Opeyemi Ajakaye, Mercy Kalu, Adoabi Okah, Victoria Alani and Chioma Olise. Ajakaye opened scoring four minutes into the game, and went on to double the tally nine minutes later. Kalu scored the third goal in the 30th minute, while Okah made it 4-0 in the 49th minute. Ajakaye scored her third goal for a hat-trick in the 53rd minute when she created space for herself in the penalty box. It was the turn of Alani with the sixth goal in the 64th minute, while substitute Olise headed home a minute into added time of the second half for the seventh goal. The Falconets will face Togo in their second game at 6 p.m on Wednesday, also at the Baba Yara Stadium. Niger Republic will tackle Burkina Faso at 3 p.m. at that same venue. The Falconets will end their group stage campaign by clashing with Burkina Faso on Sunday. The Falconets are drawn in Group B with Niger Republic, Burkina Faso and Togo.
Family, friends of West Ham players attacked in Netherlands

Family and friends of West Ham United players, celebrating their success in Thursday’s Europa Conference League semi-final in the Netherlands, were attacked by AZ Alkmaar supporters at the final whistle. According to Dutch media, AZ supporters broke through a fence and attacked the West Ham contingent seated in a reserved section at the AZ Stadium. A brawl ensued in which West Ham players, including captain Declan Rice, attempted to intervene, the Algemeen Dagblad (ad.nl) added. Police and stewards were quickly on the scene to prevent further confrontation and calm was restored 10 minutes later. There was a similar incident in London last week when AZ supporters, including the family of coach Pascal Jansen, were accosted by West Ham fans. This was after they celebrated the goal scored by the Dutch club in the first half of the first leg. West Ham came back to win last Thursday’s match 2-1 and then scored a last gasp winner in the second leg of the semi-final for a 3-1 aggregate triumph.