Police Intercepts Vehicle Loaded with Political Thugs in Yobe

The Yobe State Police Command says, working in collaboration with the Nigerian Army, it has interpreted an 18-seater bus boarded with political thugs in Gashua Local Government Area on mission to arrive at Damaturu to disrupt the electoral process. DSP Dungus Abdulkarim, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Yobe Police Command, Damaturu revealed in a statement made available to Nigerian Anchor in Damaturu. According to him “On 3rd February 2024 at about 0700hrs Military Checkpoint intercepted the bus while conveying thugs to Damaturu Metropolitan Council to cause mayhem in the electoral process but made their Waterloo, the police took them into custody for a district investigation and subsequent prosecution. The following are some of the suspects arrested: Abu Bakar Garba Bololo, aged 25, Habu Mato, aged 35, Suleman Musa, aged 50, Yusuf Danjuma, aged 33, Abdullahi Haruna, aged 45. Others are Zanab Mohammed, aged 25 of Unguwan Lawan and Rachael Bitrus, aged 23 and seven other syndicate members of Jakusko and Gashua LGA”. “The suspects claimed they were recruited to serve as agents of one of the opposition parties. Meanwhile, the investigation is swift to unravel the criminal implications of the matter”. “In this regard, the Commissioner of police in the state, Garba Ahmed, reiterated the commitment of the Police and sister Security Agencies to ensure the security and safety of the electorate and relative peace enjoyed in the State. “However, calls on the good members of the public to remain resolute and shun violence, thuggery as security is firm to act on any untoward deviation”.
Enugu Rerun-Election: Labour Party Calls For Cancellation

The Labour Party, LP, has described the House of Representatives re-run election in Igbo-Eze/Udenu federal constituency, Enugu State, as a sham and called for a total cancellation of the exercise. The national secretary of the party, Umar Farouk, who led its monitoring team to polling stations involved in the by-elections on Saturday, told journalists that due process was not followed. He said that accreditation was compromised, result sheets were hijacked, and BVAS machines were disregarded while voters were not allowed to exercise their right to vote. The LP national secretary, who addressed the press in the company of the party’s House of Representatives candidate, Dennis Agbo, called on the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to immediately cancel elections in areas where illegalities have been reported. In his comments, Dennis Agbo also called for the immediate and total cancellation of the supplementary election. He accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, of using the local government vigilante to intimidate LP supporters. Agbo said LP members were chased away from polling booths by the local vigilantes and further alleged that INEC officials took instructions from PDP officials and allowed voting to take place in private houses.
Macky Sall Postpones Senegal Presidential Election

Macky Sall, president of Senegal, has announced a postponement of the February 25 presidential election. Sall made the announcement on Saturday during a national broadcast wherein he also called for dialogue with stakeholders. “I will initiate an open national dialogue to bring together the conditions for a free, transparent and inclusive election in a peaceful and reconciled Senegal,” Sall said. Sall has been president of Senegal since 2012 and recently announced that he would not be seeking a third term. The Senegalese 2021 constitution only allows a president to serve for five years and is limited to two terms. The president, who had previously hinted at a third term as granted by the constitutional council, recently decided to step down and announced Amadou Ba, prime minister, as his preferred successor. He reiterated on Saturday that he would not be seeking a third term. “As for me, my solemn commitment not to run for the presidential election remains unchanged,” Sall said. Some civil society organisations had expressed concerns on issues relating to the electoral process.
ISWAP Attack Police Headquarters In Borno

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the killing of four policemen by Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists on Friday in Gajiram, headquarters of Nganzai local government area of Borno State. Confirming the incident to our journalists on Saturday in Maiduguri, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Nahun Daso, said the bodies of the slain police officers have been recovered. Similarly, sources, according to Zagazola Makama, a Counter-Insurgency Expert and Security Analyst in the Lake Chad region, revealed that the terrorists disguised themselves and sneaked into the town at about 11 am on Friday and went straight to the police quarters in Gajiram town and opened fire, killing the four policemen. Makama added, “Sources said mobile policemen at the police quarters engaged the terrorists in a heavy gun battle, which prevented them from burning down the quarters. “It was learnt that when the troops of ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ Joint Taskforce stormed the scene, the terrorists had fled.” Gajiram is located about 73 kilometers from Maiduguri, the restive capital of Borno State.
China guards culture, traditional values Jealously -Runsewe

The Director General, National Council for Art and Culture (NCAC), Otunba Olusegun Runsewe, has stated that the celebration of Chinese new year festival is a testament to the fact that China guides very jealously, its cultural heritage and traditional values. Runsewe informed that China is reputed for its diverse culture and its fascinating manifestations, which date back to several centuries. The NCAC boss made the statement while delivering his goodwill message during activities to mark 2024, Chinese New Year celebration at the Chinese cultural center, Saturday in Abuja. Runsewe, who is also the President, World Craft Council (WCC), said it is important to point out that China shares a lot of similarities with Nigeria. While China is the second most populous country in Asia, Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa. Similarly, both China and Nigeria are culturally diverse nations. He said, “China has 56 official ethnic groups while Nigeria has close to 400 ethnic groups, each with its unique cultural peculiarities. China has leveraged its cultural strength to develop its economy. On the other hand, Nigeria harnesses its cultural potential to drive the process of her economic development. “It is therefore clear that both nations have a lot to learn and benefit from each other in the area of cultural exchanges. Indeed, the relationship between China and Nigeria has been quite robust. The cultural sector in Nigeria has benefited greatly from Chinese human capital development programmes. Over the years, the two countries have developed a strong cultural partnership that pays. “Nigeria has a lot of historical and heritage sites that can be upgraded to serve as recreational, religious, and commercial sites comparable to the Chinese Temple fair. We are rich in arts, crafts, other cultural products as well as a variety of food and snacks. Some of our historical sites have been listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. This is why we must strengthen our cultural ties with China so as to tap from their cultural expertise. ” Speaking at the occasion, the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, H.E. Cui Jianchun, stated that the Chinese new year celebration also known as the spring festival is an important Chinese celebration that brings family together to reflect on the past year, celebrate what they have achieved while ushering in the new year. He said, “This year, 2024 is tagged the year of the dragon, in Chinese culture, dragon symbolize three things, one is auspiciousness, second is the wisdom, and the third is about strength. I believe in our relationship with Nigeria. We have been auspicious, applied wisdom, and together, we have shown that there is strength in unity. Delivering his speech, Chairman house committee on Nigeria-China Relation in the National of Assembly, Hon Jafaru Yakubu, stated that the temple fair is an age long celebration that brings family together in love, peace and harmony. He explained that the year’s celebration will also provide an opportunity for Nigerians to learn about Chinese culture and tradition. One of the winners of the Chinese raffle draw, Mr Emmanuel Okoi, thank God for favouring him to be among the winners, and he prayed the Chinese Nigeria relationship will continue to blossom.
AFCON ’24: FG Pledges Full support for Super Eagles

The Federal Government has vowed to provide the necessary support for the Super Eagles of Nigeria to win the African Cup of Nations 2024 currently going on in Cote d’Ivoire. The leader of the Federal Government delegation and President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio dropped the hint while speaking via Zoom from Cote d’Ivoire to assure Nigerians that the Nigerian team has the support of the Government of the day to excel at the football competition. Akpabio who led top Government officials including National Assembly members to Cote d’Ivoire to cheer the Super Eagles to victory against the Palancas Negras of Angola at the quarter finals of the ongoing African Nations Cup, said sports is a unifying factor which must be harnessed for the benefit of the youths. According to Senator Akpabio, “I was very ecstatic at the stadium when the Super Eagles scored against Palancas Negras of Angola. The entire stadium exploded with the Nigerian supporters and those who love Nigeria. “Our presence here to support the Super Eagles is evidence of the fact that the Government is serious about sports and youth development and I’m very excited about the victory. “When I was the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, I gave the youths the best stadium in West Africa and under President Bola Tinubu, we shall replicate this in all parts of the country. “The Government of the day is very youth friendly and we are poised to create the enabling environment for the youths of Nigeria to realize their potentials. We are very determined to give opportunities to our youths to take them away from vices and I say congratulations to all Nigerians for this victory,” he said.
Google Signs Power Purchase Agreement for Offshore Wind Projects

In a significant move towards greening its power supply, technology giant Google has inked its largest-ever power purchase agreement (PPA) with offshore wind projects situated off the coast of the Netherlands. This strategic initiative aligns with Google’s commitment to meeting climate targets while promoting sustainable energy solutions. As reported by Reuters, renewable power project developers are increasingly opting for long-term PPAs to ensure revenue security, while corporate buyers like Google are eager to secure a stable supply chain to fulfill their clean energy goals. Google’s landmark offshore wind PPA entails the procurement of 478 megawatts (MW) of power from two cutting-edge wind farms developed by Crosswind & Ecowende Consortia. These joint ventures, helmed by energy giants Shell and Dutch utility Eneco, exemplify collaborative efforts in advancing renewable energy initiatives. Additionally, Google has revealed smaller-scale renewable PPAs in Italy, Poland, and Belgium, underscoring its global commitment to sustainable energy practices. However, specific financial details of these agreements remain undisclosed. Matt Brittin, President of Google in EMEA, emphasized the company’s overarching ambition to operate on carbon-free energy round the clock by 2030. This vision necessitates clean energy solutions across all grids where Google operates, signifying a steadfast dedication to environmental sustainability. While many companies pursue renewable energy goals on an annual basis, typically matching PPAs or renewable energy certificate purchases with their yearly electricity consumption, Google stands out with its forward-thinking approach. The tech giant aims to synchronize each hour of electricity consumed with an equivalent hour of clean power production, a methodology hailed by proponents for its accurate reflection of companies’ actual energy usage patterns.
Why There’s Shortage Of Electricity In Nigeria – FG

Minister of Power, Bayo Adelabu has attributed the ongoing poor power supply in Nigeria to a low supply of gas to generating companies (GenCos). Adelabu emphasized the government’s commitment to resolving the issue promptly. Adelabu stated that following discussions with GenCos and Distribution companies (DISCOs), investigations revealed the primary cause of the setbacks in the new year to be the insufficient supply of gas to GenCos. The minister personally visited facilities in Olorunshogo, Ogun State, and Omotosho, Ondo State, to assess the challenges firsthand. Addressing the indebtedness to GenCos by the Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trading Company (NBET), Adelabu acknowledged the sector’s liquidity challenge and assured that efforts are underway to validate the debt and determine a fair resolution. To ensure a steady gas supply, the minister urged GenCos to establish contractual arrangements with gas suppliers, recognizing that concessions may be necessary. He expressed the government’s commitment to working collaboratively to stabilize the power sector and emphasized the formation of a committee involving all stakeholders. The committee’s mandate is to develop recommendations for resolving gas supply and liquidity challenges, aiming for a more reliable and consistent power supply. Adelabu also revealed plans to initiate discussions with the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources to underscore the importance of prioritizing Gas to Power.
Governor Aiyedatiwa Appoints Commissioners, Special Advisers

Ondo State Governor, Hon. Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa, has forwarded to the State House of Assembly for screening and confirmation the names of six Commissioner-nominees. This was revealed in a statement signed by the Chief press secretary to the governor on Friday, Prince Ebenezer Adeniyan. The nominees are: 1. Mrs. Omowumi Isaac, ACCA 2. Mr. Olukayode A. Ajulo, SAN, OON 3. Engr. Razaq Obe 4. Pastor Emmanuel Igbasan 5. Barrister Akinwumi Sowore 6. Mr. Oseni Oyeniyi The Governor has also appointed the following individuals as Special Advisers: 1. Hon. Olugbenga Omole, Special Adviser on Information & Strategy 2. Mrs. Olamide Falana, Special Adviser on Gender Affairs 3. Mr. Alabi Johnson, Special Adviser on Energy.
Court refuses to stop terrorism charges against Fubara’s 5 loyalists

The Federal High Court Abuja Friday, refused to grant the request of the five loyalists of Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State to stop the Inspector General of Police IGP from proceeding with their prosecution on terrorism offences. They are before the court seeking to stop the IGP on the ground that they can only be put on trial on terrorism charges by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice. Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon in a ruling on their preliminary objections raised against the IGP held that the defendants were wrong in their claims that only the AGF can put them on trial. Justice Olajuwon said that the law especially sections 3, 63 and 74 of Terrorism Prevention Act were clear to the effect that while the AGF has Constitutional.power to strengthen the terrorism prevention law, the same sections did not confer the exclusive rights to prosecute on the AGF. The Judge said that while section 5 of the Terrorism Prevention Act confers responsibility of gathering intelligence and investigation on police, the same section donated rights to Police to initiate criminal charges in a competent court of jurisdiction. Specifically, Justice Olajuwon held that while the AGF under section 174 of the 1999 Constitution can lawfully take over, continue or terminate any initiated criminal charges, such right did not make trial an exclusive rights of the AGF. “From the cursory look at all the authorities cited by lawyers for and against the IGP rights to initiate the instant criminal proceedings, one thing is clear and clearly too, that police can rightly initiate criminal charges including terrorism charges”. The Judge said that the preliminary objections to the trial by the defendants was incompetent, lacking in merit and subsequently dismissed them. The five defendants charged with terrorism offences are Chime Eguma Ezebalike, Prince Lukman Oladele, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod. Meanwhile, Justice Olajuwon has fixed Monday, February 5 for ruling in their respective bail applications. The Judge fixed the date after taking arguments from lawyers from police led by Simon Lough, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria and Lukman Fagbemi SAN who stood for the 1st and 2nd defendants in the matter among others. Justice Olajuwon ordered that the five defendants be returned to Kuje Prison in Abuja pending the decision of the Court to allow them on bail or not. The five defendants are accused of committing the alleged terrorism offences during the wake of political upheaval that rocked Port Harcourt in October last year. In the charges against them marked FHC/ABJ/CR/25/2024, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun is named as the complainant. Apart from allegedly burning down the State House of Assembly, some of them were said to have killed a Superintendent of Police, (SP) Bako Agbashim and five police informants at Ahoada community of the state. The police informants said to have been killed are Charles Osu, Ogbonna Eja, Idaowuka Felix, Paul Victor Chibuogu and Saturday Edi. They were also accused of using various cult groups, namely- Supreme Viking Confraternity, Degbam, Iceland and Greenland to unleash mayhem on the people of the state and their commercial activities. Specifically, they are alleged to have on October 29, 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt conspired to commit acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly, an offence punishable under section 26 of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. Part of the charges read, “That you, Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert conspired together to commit felony to wit: acts of terrorism by wilful destruction of public properties by invading, attacking, destroying and burning of the Rivers State House of Assembly and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 26 (1) of the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022. “That you Chime Eguma Ezebalike, 37 years, business man of Street 5, Radio Estate Ozuoba, Port Harcourt, Prince Lukman Oladele, 47 years of Okocha Street, Port Harcourt, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Hon Edison Ehie and others now at large on 29th of October 2023 at Moscow Road in Port Harcourt, while acting in concert and armed with dynamite, iron rods, lighters and other offensive weapons willfully and maliciously invaded, attacked and set fire on the Rivers State House of Assembly Complex and you thereby committed an offence punishable under section 1 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap M17 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.