30 Children Reportedly Kidnapped by Bandits in Katsina

In a distressing development, it has been reported that approximately thirty children have been abducted by suspected bandits at Kasai village in the Batsari Local Government Area of Katsina State. Batsari, a Security Frontline Local Government Area in Katsina, has witnessed a surge in banditry and criminal activities, posing grave threats to residents. As of now, governmental authorities and security agencies have not issued any official statements regarding the incident. A resident, who chose to remain anonymous, disclosed that the abduction occurred during the early hours of Monday. Efforts to obtain comments from the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, ASP Abubakar Sadiq, have been unsuccessful thus far. The situation is rapidly evolving, and further details are expected to emerge soon.

Lagos Deputy Commissioner Of Police Found Dead In His Home 

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Gbolahan Oyedemi, serving under the Lagos State Police Command, was discovered dead in his private residence in Ogbomoso, Oyo State. DCP Oyedemi, who previously served as the Aide de Camp (ADC) to former Oyo State Governor Christopher Adebayo Alao Akala in 2006, was found hanging in his home on Monday, raising suspicions of suicide. The late officer, a native of Ogbomoso, had returned to the town for Easter celebrations from Lagos before the tragic incident occurred. Sources revealed that he had discharged his aides to enjoy the holiday with their families before the shocking discovery was made. Oyedemi, who had been residing with his mother before constructing a new home, was reportedly unmarried. Efforts to reach the spokespersons of the Lagos and Oyo State Police Commands for comments were unsuccessful at the time of this report.

Fire Ravages Owode Market in Offa, Kwara State

In the early hours of Tuesday, a devastating fire tore through Owode Market in Offa, Kwara State, leaving several shops engulfed in flames. Heart-wrenching footage obtained by SaharaReporters captured the anguish of shop owners as they witnessed their livelihoods being consumed by the inferno. Amidst the chaos, one trader speculated on the cause, suggesting it might have originated from cooking activities rather than an electrical fault. Responding swiftly, personnel from the Federal Fire Service and Kwara State Fire Service managed to extinguish the blaze, but not before it had ravaged at least five shops. While the authorities are still assessing the extent of the damage, initial reports indicate significant losses in goods and property. Details surrounding the cause of the fire remain unclear, prompting calls for an official statement from the fire service to shed light on the incident.

Deputy Speaker Kalu Advocates Political Means for Nnamdi Kanu’s Release

Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Benjamin Kalu, revealed ongoing efforts to secure the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of IPOB, through a combination of legal processes and political negotiations. Speaking on “The Ben Kalu’s Mandate” radio show, Kalu emphasized the importance of behind-the-scenes political maneuvers in achieving Kanu’s release and fostering peace in the South East region. Kalu highlighted the role of the Peace In South East Project (PISE-P) in advocating for reconciliation and acknowledged Kanu’s significance in the peace agenda.  He stressed the need for political solutions and urged the involvement of Igbo elders in discussions with the federal government. Kalu said: “The Peace in South East Project (PISE-P) has reconciliation in the mix of what we are trying to achieve. We recognise the importance of our brother, Nnamdi Kanu in the peace agenda we are pushing. That’s the truth. And I have been very vocal about it. I am not hiding it. “I have always told people that I will never deny Nnamdi Kanu. He’s my brother. We come from the same place and I will never be happy having him incarcerated when we can have him out and increase our pursuit towards peace. But we may not advance all the things we are doing behind our backs but I can assure you that all the powers-that-be in this country know that people like us are not sitting on the fence.” Addressing the South East Development Commission (SEDC) Bill, Kalu noted its progress in the conference committee stage, emphasizing the importance of resolving related matters to advance the region’s development. Kalu called for peace and loyalty to the government while pursuing concessions, underscoring the imperative of maintaining stability in the region.

PDP Reacts As Rivers Assembly Threaten To Impeach Fubara

N200bn supplementary budget scales first reading in Rivers Assembly

The Rivers State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has strongly criticized the Martin Amaewhule-led House of Assembly for its recent threats to impeach Governor Siminalayi Fubara. The assembly, perceived to be loyalists of the Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, had issued the impeachment threat against Fubara, citing his alleged refusal to implement an eight-point Peace Accord signed with Wike on the orders of President Bola Tinubu. Among the accusations leveled against Fubara is the alleged failure to provide funding for the Rivers Independent Electoral Commission to conduct elections for local government councils in the state. In response, the state Publicity Secretary of Rivers PDP, Sydney Tambari Gbara, condemned the assembly’s actions, urging them to desist from disturbing the peace of the state. Gbara also called on the assembly members to address their legitimacy concerns, particularly in light of their defection from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the ongoing legal challenges questioning their status. Gbara emphasized that the assembly’s decisions and laws hold no significance to the people of Rivers State, labeling them as an “illegal assembly” whose actions are inconsequential. Furthermore, Gbara dismissed claims that Governor Fubara had failed to implement the Peace Accord, stating that the governor had taken steps to promote peace in accordance with the law.

Drama Unfolds As Senator Flees Live TV Interview To Avoid 2024 Budget Questions

In a dramatic turn of events, Senator Jarigbe Agom Jarigbe of Cross River North abruptly ended a live TV interview when pressed about the details of the 2024 budget. During the session, the senator expressed reluctance to delve into budget specifics and insisted on focusing on his constituency’s concerns. When confronted with questions regarding budgetary allocations for his district, the senator opted to disengage, citing a desire to avoid controversy. The unexpected departure occurred on the Arise News breakfast show, leaving the interviewers and viewers startled. “I was not elected by the people of Cross River North, you are, it is your duty, I believe, not mine (to scrutinise the budget), but let’s move on…., ” the TV anchor said. At that point, Senator Jarigbe quid in saying, “Come oh, what is this budget, budget talk nah? I want to talk about my thanksgiving and representation to my people. You people are doing budget, budget, I will walk away oh. You people want me to say something that I will go and face wahala, you should allow me oh, let me serve my people quietly.” Thereafter, the connection to Senator Jarigbe was lost. Efforts to get him back on line failed as the senator may have cut off the connection, thereby bringing the interview to an abrupt end.

What God Told Me About Tinubu’s Administration – Umahi

Nigeria’s Minister of Works, David Umahi, has boldly asserted that he received a divine message from God predicting an eight-year tenure for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.  Umahi, former governor of Ebonyi State, expressed unwavering confidence in Tinubu’s leadership, attributing his presidency to divine intervention. Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, Umahi emphasized the miraculous nature of Tinubu’s administration and its mission to rectify societal wrongs.  Umahi said: “You must know that the coming onboard of Mr President is divine. When God starts a thing, He completes it. “So, I strongly believe and I am persuaded to let you know that God told me that this administration will last eight years because this administration is born of God. “You can see the miracle that Mr President is doing through the inspiration of God Almighty who brought him to right all the wrongs,” the minister noted on the show. “So, we are taking back this country and giving back this country to Nigerians and that’s what Mr President has come to do and we are just there to give him support.”

APC Chieftain Accuses El-rufai of Fueling Insecurity In Northern Nigeria

Yekini Nabena, the former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has leveled serious allegations against Nasir El-rufai, the ex-governor of Kaduna state, claiming he’s behind the escalating insecurity in northern Nigeria. In an exclusive interview with the Daily Sun newspaper, Nabena pointed fingers directly at El-rufai, accusing him of exacerbating the security challenges plaguing the region. Nabena minced no words, stating, “He is among the people that caused problems for the APC and not only APC but also Nigeria. It is people like him that caused all the problems of insecurity we have in the northern part of the country.” He further hinted at El-rufai’s purported political ambitions, suggesting that the former governor’s discontent over not securing certain positions within the APC hierarchy might be a driving factor behind his actions. “I am waiting for the day he will leave the APC. I will remind him a lot of what he did in Kaduna, what he did in the country, what he did in the party and what he did during our party primaries,” Nabena stated firmly. As tensions rise within the party, Nabena vowed to pursue El-rufai should he formally resign from the APC, promising to expose his alleged misdeeds and confront him in the political arena. El-rufai has yet to respond to these damning accusations.

Cost of governance: Tinubu initiates the sale of presidential jets

In a bid to cut the cost of governance, President Tinubu’s has announced plans to divest three aircraft from the Presidential Air Fleet (PAF), a senior official revealed over the weekend. This strategic move forms part of the administration’s wider efforts to streamline government expenditure. Presently, the fleet comprises a total of 10 aircraft, including six jets and four helicopters, with intentions to reduce the fleet to seven through the proposed sale. This decision mirrors a previous attempt made during the tenure of President Muhammadu Buhari to sell off two aircraft in the fleet, namely a Dassault Falcon 7x executive jet and a Beechcraft Hawker 4000 business jet, back in October 2016. However, the sale faltered after preferred bidders revised their offer from $24 million to $11 million, a sum rejected by the government at the time. To alleviate the burden of maintenance costs, the administration had explored alternative avenues, including the possibility of chartering some of the aircraft to interested governors to generate revenue. The fleet comprises various aircraft models, including Boeing Business Jets (BBJ) 737, Gulfstream G550, Gulfstream G500, Falcon 7X, HS 4000, Agusta 139, and Agusta 101. Notably, the BBJ 737 serves as the Nigerian Air Force One, exclusively utilized by the President for official travel. While specific details regarding the replacement of the BBJ 737 remain undisclosed, it is noteworthy that the aircraft was acquired for approximately $43 million during the tenure of President Olusegun Obasanjo. Escalating concerns over maintenance costs, which have soared to over $5 million in recent months, have prompted President Tinubu to take decisive action. The decision to divest three aircraft deemed the most financially burdensome is aimed at curtailing excessive spending on maintenance. Over the years, the presidency has allocated significant sums for PAF maintenance, with budgetary provisions ranging from N3.65 billion in 2016 to N25.7 billion in 2023. However, precise expenditure figures remain unconfirmed. Furthermore, in a separate move geared towards fiscal prudence, President Tinubu has enforced a three-month travel ban on publicly-funded foreign trips by Federal Government officials, with immediate effect. The utilization of the fleet falls under the purview of the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), ensuring efficient management and utilization.

LP crisis: I didn’t promise to build new party – Peter Obi on ignoring national convention

Peter Obi standing with South-East political leaders at an ADC event in Enugu during his declaration for the African Democratic Congress.

The 2023 Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi, has said he promised to rebuild Nigeria and not to build a new party. Obi made the remark while disclosing why he ignored the LP’s National convention in Anambra State. Addressing Nigerians on X Space hosted by Parallel Facts on Friday, Peter Obi said he ignored the convention because the party leadership under Julius Abure failed to conduct wide consultation with key stakeholders of the party before embarking on the said convention. He stressed the need for the right thing to be done to salvage the party, adding that he is more passionate about building a new Nigeria than building a new Labour Party. “We promised to build Nigeria, we did not promise to build a New Labour Party,” Obi said. He also threw his weight behind the call for a structure for the ‘Obidient’ movement. “It is the standard practice around the world where movements form themselves into blocs and are part of the political process,” he added. Two factional groups respectively led by Julius Abure and Apapa Lamidi have been claiming supremacy. Also, the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, is against Abure’s leadership of the party However, Abure was reelected during the controversial national convention organized in Anambra State.