Ogunbanjo Family Files Lawsuit Against Helicopter Company After Fatal California Crash

In response to the tragic helicopter crash near the California-Nevada border in February, the family of Abimbola Ogunbanjo, former Chairman of the Nigerian Exchange Group (NGX), has taken legal action against the U.S. helicopter company involved. The lawsuit, filed on Wednesday at the San Bernardino County Superior Court, alleges that Orbic Air, the charter company, should not have authorized the flight in adverse weather conditions, ultimately resulting in the loss of Ogunbanjo’s life and five others. Among the victims were Dr. Herbert Wigwe, former CEO of Access Holdings, his wife, and their son. Andrew C. Robb, an attorney representing the Ogunbanjo family, emphasized the preventable nature of the crash, citing hazardous weather conditions at the time of the flight. The lawsuit is seekinh accountability and answers regarding the circumstances leading to the fatal accident. Named as defendants in the lawsuit are Orbic Air and its CEO, Brady Bowers, with allegations of negligence for allowing the flight to proceed despite known risks. Additionally, the lawsuit implicates unidentified successors believed to share responsibility for the crash. While investigations by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) are ongoing to determine the exact cause of the crash, the Ogunbanjo family is pursuing legal action to seek compensation for wrongful death and other damages through a jury trial.
BREAKING: Nigeria Loses Former Minister of Science& Technology

A former Abia State Governor, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu is dead. According to report, 72-year-old Onu died on Thursday morning at an Abuja hospital. One of his kinsmen in Ebonyi who confirmed his death to newsmen said the former governor had been ill for some time and his family had planned to fly him abroad after the Sallah break. “He has been sick for some time this year and his family said they would fly him abroad to get better medical treatment for him but he could not make it till then,” the source said. Onu, who hailed from Ebonyi State, was the first civilian governor of Abia State and Nigeria’s Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation from November 2015 until his resignation in 2022. His friends and relations have thronged his Abuja residence since hearing the news to express their condolences to his family. After working as a teacher and later as a lecturer at the University of Port Harcourt, Ogbonnaya Onu started his political career as an aspirant for a senatorial seat in the old Imo State on the platform of the National Party of Nigeria (NPN). He contested for the position of Governor of Abia State in 1991 under the umbrella of the National Republican Convention and won. He was sworn in as the first executive governor of the state in January 1992 and was the first chairman of the Conference of Nigerian elected governors. In 1999, he was the presidential candidate of the All People’s Party but relinquished the position to Olu Falae after his party merged with the Alliance for Democracy. Falae lost to Olusegun Obasanjo of the Peoples Democratic Party in the presidential election. Onu later became the national chairman of the All Nigerian People’s Party. In 2013, the ANPP merged with the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Democratic People’s Party (DPP) and some members of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to form the All Progressives Congress (APC), the ruling party in Nigeria. In November 2015, he was appointed Minister of Science and Technology by then-President Muhammadu Buhari. He resigned his appointment in 2022.
Kwankwaso Eyeing Governorship Seat for His Son – Political Scholar Alleges

A political scholar in Kano state has raised concerns over former governor Rabiu Kwankwaso’s alleged plans to pave the way for his son to become the next governor in 2031. Speaking some journalists, the scholar highlighted Kwankwaso’s efforts to establish a political dynasty, citing the recent appointment of his son, Mustapha, as a commissioner by Governor Abba Yusuf. The scholar emphasized Kwankwaso’s significant influence in the current administration, from its conception to policy implementation, noting his close relation to the governor through marriage. Speculating on Mustapha’s political trajectory, the scholar suggested he could be groomed for governance and potentially succeed the current leadership or become a gubernatorial candidate’s running mate in the future. However, the scholar acknowledged the uncertainty of political outcomes, noting that unforeseen circumstances could alter these projections. His words: “We must not ignore the fact that this is the early days in an attempt to control power by a single family or associates of the same political group. “It is an open secret that Kwankwaso is very influential in the present administration. He has been pivotal to its conception, electoral victory, appointments, policy selection and policy implementation. “It is also incontestable that Kwankwaso is closely related to the state governor by marriage. The governor is his in-law. The political permutation is that Mustapha will be nursed in the act of governance and will come of age by 2031. By this time, he will be 47. “With the Kwankwaso that we know, chances are high that he will ensure that Mustapha, his son, succeeds the present arrangement or becomes the running mate to the governorship candidate of the party in the general elections. “Should that happen, it means that the governance of the state would have resided within the same clan or family for about 16 years or more, and will remain there for a longer time, depending on how Mustapha plays his cards in the years to come. “But, like I said, these are all potential possibilities. They are not yet realities. The future, especially in politics, is often bounded by uncertainties. Anything can still happen to change these calculations.” Mustapha Kwankwaso, born on March 24, 1984, in Kwankwaso village, completed his education in Cyprus before entering the political arena.
Retired Justice, Ahmad Olarewaju Belgore dies at 71

Ahmad Olarewaju Belgore, a retired Justice of the Court of Appeal, has passed away at age 71 in Ilorin, Kwara State. It was gathered that he died after breaking his Ramadan fast on Tuesday, April 9. Belgore, born on April 18, 1953, graduated with an LL.B. (Hons.) in Law from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1978, and subsequently earned his Barrister-At-Law (BL) at the Nigerian Law School, Victoria Island, Lagos in the 1978/79 session. He was enrolled as a Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in July 1979. Throughout his distinguished career, Belgore served in several prominent legal roles. He was a Judge of the High Court of Justice in Kwara State from August 1990 to 2006, and also served as the Resident High Court Judge of the Offa Judicial Division of Kwara State from August 1994 to September 1999. Additionally, he chaired the Special Tribunal for Miscellaneous Offences in Abuja. Belgore’s international experience included a secondment to the Judiciary of the Republic of the Gambia, where he served as a Justice of Appeal in the Gambia Court of Appeal, later becoming the acting Justice of the Supreme Court until December 2005. Upon returning to Nigeria, he was appointed as a Justice of the Court of Appeal on April 27, 2006, and was sworn in on June 8, 2006. Belgore’s contributions to the legal profession were further recognized with appointments to the Body of Benchers of Nigeria in October 2015 and as a Life Bencher in February 2021. He retired from his role as a Justice of the Court of Appeal on April 18, 2023, upon reaching the age of 70. His recent public appearance was at the fidau held for the late District Head of Ballah, Alhaji Salman Olarongbe Abdulkadir.
Kano State Governor Appoints Nine New Special Advisers

In a move to bolster his administration, Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has announced the appointment of nine additional special advisers, alongside key heads of government agencies. The appointments were disclosed in a press statement issued on Tuesday by the governor’s spokesman, Sanusi Tofa. Among the appointees are Prof. Ibrahim Barde, appointed as Special Adviser for Internally Generated Revenue (IGR); Dr. Abdulhamid Danladi, named as Special Adviser on Diaspora II; Bello Kiru, assigned as Special Adviser on Water Resources; and Yusuf Shuaibu Imam (Ogan Boye), who has been reappointed as Special Adviser on Youths and Sports. In further restructuring, Dr. Nura Shanono has been shifted from Special Adviser for Water Resources to the role of Managing Director at the Water Resources Engineering and Construction Agency (WRECA). Similarly, Baba Umar has been reassigned from Special Adviser to Executive Secretary at the Private and Voluntary Institutions Management Board. Additionally, Nasir Muhammad has been appointed as Director General of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), Aminu Na’isa as Deputy Managing Director of the Kano Agricultural and Rural Development Authority (KNARDA), and Mukhtar Yusuf as Deputy Managing Director of the Water Resources Engineering and Construction Agency (WRECA). These appointments are effective immediately.
Katsina Government Declares Friday Work Free Day

The Katsina State Governor Dikko Radda has declared Friday 12th April 2024 as work free day for the Eid-El-Fitr celebrations. According to Governor Radda, his government has also taken this step to enable workers in the state to fully enjoy the Sallah celebration with their families. The decision to declare the day also followed the good gesture of the Federal Government for extending the Eid-El-Fitr public holidays to Thursday 11th of this month. In a Tuesday statement, the Katsina State Commissioner of Information and Culture Bala Zango quoted the governor as wishing the good people of the state a happy and peaceful Sallah celebration. He further urged the good people of the state to be security conscious and pray for peace to reign in the state and the nation at large as they celebrate this year’s ED-FITR.
Atiku Dares Tinubu To Disclose Cost Of Lagos-Calabar Highway Project

Atiku Abubakar, former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, calls out President Bola Tinubu to reveal the full expenses of the Lagos-Calabar highway project. Atiku, questioning the lack of transparency, demanded clarity on the project’s total cost and its funding source, raising concerns over the awarded contract and expenditure distribution. Tinubu’s administration has been facing mounting pressure to address these inquiries amidst allegations of non-competitive bidding and financial discrepancies. Atiku emphasized the need for accountability and urges Tinubu’s administration to respond to the public’s inquiries with transparency, invoking the spirit of the Freedom of Information Act. He said: “The Tinubu administration cannot continue to respond to the public inquiry with insults. They must come clean on this project because Nigerians deserve to know the truth. I, therefore, present six posers to the administration. “1. How much is the total cost of the Lagos-Calabar coastal highway? 2. Why is the project being funded by the Nigerian government despite being a PPP? 3. Why is the project taking off from Chagoury’s Eko Atlantic? 4. Why is N1.06tn being spent on the pilot phase, which is just 47km? “5. Why did the N1.06tn not get the approval of the National Assembly? 6. Why wasn’t there a competitive bidding for the project? 7. Finally, how did the Tinubu administration get the design as well as the right of way in just 7 months, since it claims the past administration of Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari never touched the project?”
Preparations in Full Swing for Korea-Africa Summit 2024

Officials from African Diplomatic Missions and South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs Engage in Consultative Meetings Ahead of June, 2024 Summit in Seoul, Korea. As the summit draws near, officials from African diplomatic missions stationed in Korea and the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs have intensified their collaborative efforts to ensure the success of the upcoming summit. Scheduled to take place in Seoul in June 2024, the summit aims to foster closer ties and explore avenues for mutually beneficial cooperation between South Korea and African nations. South Korea, known for its robust trading relationships with countries such as the US, China, Japan, Vietnam, Turkey, India, New Zealand, Peru, and the European Union, is now eyeing expansion into the African market. The Korea-Africa Summit presents a unique opportunity to solidify trade alliances with African countries, with both sides anticipating significant economic gains. Ambassador Dong-han Yang, representing South Korea, emphasized the summit’s goal of forging future-oriented partnerships with African counterparts. He underscored the importance of sharing development experiences to invigorate growth in participating countries, leveraging the dynamism of African economies. With the theme “The Future We Make Together: Shared Growth, Sustainability, and Solidarity,” the summit will delve into strategic collaborations between South Korea and African nations. Key areas of focus include addressing global challenges, sustainable energy, infrastructure development, human resource development (including Technical and Vocational Education and Training), science, technology, digital transformation, people-to-people exchanges, and peace and security initiatives. One of the significant announcements expected during the summit is South Korea’s intention to initiate Official Negotiations for the first-ever Free Trade Association (FTA) with African countries. Currently, South Korea boasts 21 FTAs with 27 countries, none of which are with African nations. This move aims to rectify the imbalance and facilitate direct trade between South Korea and Africa, potentially unlocking substantial economic opportunities for both sides. The summit also holds the promise of reversing the current trade imbalance, where Africa constitutes only one percent of Korean trade with the rest of the world. African countries stand to benefit from increased access to the Korean market, bypassing intermediaries such as Vietnam, China, and India. President Tinubu-led Federal Government is among the countries eagerly anticipating the economic windfall from the Korea-Africa Summit. The summit’s sideline meetings present a platform for high-level engagements, akin to the G20 summit held in Delhi, where the African Union was conferred with a permanent member title. President Tinubu had the opportunity to engage with leaders from the US, Germany, and South Korea, signaling the potential for significant diplomatic and economic gains. The Korea-Africa Summit in June 2024 is poised to be a landmark event, heralding a new chapter of cooperation and economic prosperity between South Korea and the African continent.
Wike orders closure of International Conference Centre

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister Nyesom Wike has taken decisive action by ordering the closure of the International Conference Centre in Abuja. The move comes after a thorough inspection revealed the urgent need for rehabilitation of the facility, which Wike deemed unworthy of its international status. Julius Berger has been tasked with carrying out the renovation, following the termination of the contract with the previous management company. Wike emphasized the importance of transforming the centre into a world-class venue, appointing experienced diplomat Maureen Tamuno to oversee its management. With an eight-month timeline for completion, the aim is to restore pride in Nigeria’s international conference facilities.
Brief Profile Of New Edo Deputy Governor

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State on Monday selected Omobayo Marvellous Godwins as the new Deputy Governor of the state. This is following the controversial impeachment of the former Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu. Read below the profile of Omobayo Marvellous Godwins: Omobayo is the new Deputy Governor of Edo State. He is a seasoned Engineer with a proven track record of progressive professional experience in the oil and gas sector. Born July 19, 1986, Omobayo hails from Akoko Edo Local Government Area of the State. With a B.Eng Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Msc in Public Administration from the University of Benin (UNIBEN), he is well suited for the role as a professional and an expert in public administration. He is a registered member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). A thorough-bred young professional, he served as a Senior Maintenance Engineer in Dresser Wayne West Africa Limited, cutting his professional teeth in the operations in the South South area, providing top-notch services and growing the business in the region. He has also been active in politics in his local government, building bridges of trust with the people and mobilising them for common causes, breaking political barriers to the chagrin of his opponents.