FG Inaugurates Rafin Yashi Dam For Songhai Farming

FG Inaugurates Rafin Yashi Dam For Songhai Farming

The Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Prof. Joseph Utsev, has inaugurated the Rafin Yashin multipurpose Dam in Minna, Niger State. The Dam project, which was initiated by the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority, is aimed at providing water for Songhai Integrated Farming and Rafin Yashi Irrigation Project. Utsev, in a statement on Wednesday, said it was a deliberate effort by the ministry to boost food production in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to ensure food security across the country. He called for more collaboration between states and the private sector in the areas of irrigation and water supply. According to him, it is the desire of President Bola Tinubu’s administration to ensure food security in the country, saying no effort will be spared to achieve the target. The Minister had earlier paid a courtesy call on the Niger Governor, Mohammed Bago who was represented by his Deputy, Yakubu Garba. At the meeting, he informed the governor that the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority with its Headquarters in Minna, had dams in many locations across the state that can be used for irrigation farming. This, he added, could be a good source for water supply for the benefit of the state and the country in general. In his response, the Deputy Governor, Comrade Yakubu Garba, expressed the state’s readiness to collaborate with the Federal Government. He further said that in spite of the state possessing dams, it faced huge challenges to fully utilise them due to limited resources. He appealed to the minister to support the state in addressing water challenges, adding that assistance was needed in constructing additional water works for irrigation farming and personal consumption. This, the deputy governor said would help to tackle water scarcity in certain communities to enhance the state and country’s economy. Utsev also officially opened the Rafin Yashi Dam Road, inspected the Agro-Tourism Facility, Concrete Reservoir, and Songhai Integrated Farm. He also presented certificates to graduates of the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority Empowerment Centre.

FG launches 5-year national strategy on potato

FG launches 5-year national strategy on potato

The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security has launched a five-year National Strategy on Potato. Speaking at the event on Thursday in Jos, the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr. Ernest Umakhihe, said that the strategy would run from 2023 to 2028. Represented by Mr Abdullahi Abubakar, the Director, Department of Agriculture of the ministry, Umakhihe said that the move was timely, following President Tinubu’s recent directive on the intensification of crop production. The permanent secretary said that the move would usher in an era of productive competitiveness in the Nigerian potato industry. He explained that the essence of the strategy was aimed at ensuring sustainable food and nutrition security in the country Umakhihe added that the move also aimed at catalysing the rapid transformation of the Nigerian potato sector into a commercially viable sub-sector of the agricultural value chains into a major export product. “Our goal is to stimulate economic growth through various agricultural value chain activities, thereby creating employment opportunities and improved livelihoods for our teeming youths and women. “Let me assure you that food and nutrition security is a priority for the ministry and we are committed to achieving it. “The ministry is embarking on massive production, processing, value addition and product development to be the bedrock for driving our industries. “I have no doubt that the Nigerian Potato industry has the potential to become globally competitive given the country’s strong comparative advantage in production,” he said The permanent secretary maintained that potato could be commercially grown in twelve states, adding that it holds well for the activities of many stakeholders. He said government is aware of the challenges farmers are currently facing, adding that modalities have been adopted towards addressing them. “The ministry is aware of the challenges in the agricultural sector, nevertheless I assure that necessary measures are taken to address them accordingly. “Proactive initiatives, such as this National Potato Strategy creates avenue for inclusive collaborations to chart the way forward. “I am optimistic this potato strategy document would be a springboard for the realisation of Nigeria’s aspiration to achieve food and nutrition security,” he added. The permanent secretary thanked GIZ, a German organisation for supporting the initiative. He explained that it is supporting the national strategy through its global programmes, Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector-Nigeria (GIAE), and the International Potato Centre (CIP) Nairobi, Kenya.