Court Adjourns Hearing In Case Against Emir Bayero, See New Date

A Kano State High Court has adjourned the hearing of a case filed by the Kano State Government seeking to restrain the 15th Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero and four other emirs from parading themselves as emirs to July 2, 2024. Presiding over the case, Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu listened to arguments from both sides before deciding on the adjournment. Counsel to Ado Bayero, Barr. Ibrahim Muktar, and the counsel representing the Attorney General of Kano State, the Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly, and the House of Assembly itself, Barr. Ibrahim Isah-Wangida, also presented their cases before the court. The court was initially set to address a motion on notice filed by the plaintiffs, concerning an interlocutory injunction following an interim order granted by the court, however, the first defendant had served the plaintiffs with a counter-affidavit, necessitating a response. The respondents in the case include Emir Aminu Ado Bayero, Emir Nasiru Ado Bayero of Bichi, Dr. Ibrahim Abubakar II of Karaye, Emir Kabiru Muhammad-Inuwa of Rano, and Emir Aliyu Ibrahim-Gaya of Gaya. Other respondents include the Inspector General of Police (IGP), the Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and the Nigerian Army. The case was previously slated for hearing on June 11, 2024. However, Mr. Abdulsalam Saleh, counsel to the IGP, informed the court that attempts to serve the first to fifth respondents had failed due to a Federal High Court order preventing harassment and intimidation. As a result, the counsel for the applicants, Eyitayo Fatogun (SAN), requested another date to complete the necessary applications for service on the respondents. Justice Aliyu directed that the emirs be served through the office of the Kano State Commissioner of Police and adjourned the matter to June 24, 2024, for hearing the motion on notice. During Monday’s proceedings, Barrister Abdulrazak Ahmad confirmed that Bayero had been served and requested the court to dismiss the suit, arguing that the Kano State High Court lacks jurisdiction over the case. Contrarily, Barr. Ibrahim Isah-Wangida, representing the government, maintained that the court has jurisdiction and requested the court to hear the case in its entirety, including the originating summons. Justice Aliyu subsequently adjourned the case to July 2, 2024, to consider the pleas from both sides and continue the hearing of the case filed by the Kano State Government.
Why Police Won’t Evict Ado Bayero – Kano CP Replies Gov Yusuf

The Kano State Police Commissioner, AIG Usaini Gumel, has responded to Governor Abba Yusuf‘s directive on the eviction of the deposed Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero. Yusuf had on Thursday night, through the State Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Haruna Dederi, directed the CP to remove the deposed 15th Emir of Kano from the Nasarawa mini palace where he is staying. However, Gumel, in an interview with PUNCH on Friday, said obeying Governor Yusuf’s eviction order would be equivalent to jumping the gun. According to the Commissioner of Police, the same government that gave the order had filed a case at the State High Court on the eviction order, which would come up on Monday, 24th June 2024. He said, “The police will not evict the deposed Emir because the same government has filed a case at the State High Court on the eviction order, which would come up on Monday, 24th June 2024. “The government is jumping the gun because the same government has filed a case on the eviction order, which is coming up on the 24th of June, 2024. So, if we carry out the order, it is like we are pre-empting the court because we don’t know what will happen at the court.” While the CP had yet to comply with the governor’s directive, one of Bayero’s supporters, who spoke with the aforementioned publication, confirmed the deposed Emir was still in the mini palace receiving the traditional greetings from some traditional rulers loyal to him. The supporter also debunked the report that a bulldozer has been stationed at the palace in readiness to demolish the place. The source said, “Let me tell you, Emir Aminu Ado Bayero is still in the mini palace and as I am talking to you now, he is receiving the “traditional greetings” from those loyal to him. “I heard that there is a rumour going around in some quarters that a bulldozer has been stationed at the Nasarawa mini palace ahead of the demolition. This is a social media propaganda.”
Why We Halted Durbar Activities – Ado Bayero

The 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, has felicitated with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf, on the occasion of Sallah festivities. The Emir also announced that the durbar ceremonies earlier scheduled were halted following recommendations of the security and for peace to continue to reign in the State. The Emir made the remarks while delivering a broadcast at the Nassarawa mini palace on Saturday. He said, “On this day when all Muslim faithful are observing the day of Arafat, we felicitate with all during this important occasion. “Eid is practiced and we are taught by our holy prophet to sacrifice animals if we are opportune to. For those who cannot afford it, we pray to Allah to grant them what to sacrifice. “We therefore felicitate with the President and the Governor on the occasion of Sallah and we pray that God gives them the courage and strength to deliver. “We call on them to continue to deliver the dividends of democracy to the people, protection of their lives and properties while also the people should pray for their leaders. “We have lifted all durbar activities following the recommendations of security operatives for peace to continue to reign.”
Tension in Kano as Sanusi, Bayero plan Friday prayer at palace’s mosque

There is noticeable apprehension among Kano residents as the reinstated Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammadu Sanusi II, is set to lead the two rakat congregational Friday prayers today at the Emir’s palace Friday mosque. This announcement was made in a statement signed by Danburan of Kano on Thursday evening. The statement invites residents to attend and listen to the sermon to be delivered by Sanusi. Similarly, another statement from an aide of the deposed Emir, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, invites residents to join him at the emir’s palace Friday mosque to observe the Jumu’at prayer. It further mentions that the movement to the emir’s palace mosque begins at 12:30 pm. However, the police authorities have yet to comment on the situation to prevent any potential disruption of law and order. Effort to contact the Public Relations Officer of the Kano Police Command, SP Abdullahi Haruna failed as his mobile phone number was not going through.
Governor Yusuf Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir Of Kano

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of of Kano State has ordered the immediate arrest of the former Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero. In a statement, which Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, his spokesperson, issued on his behalf, Yusuf accused Ado Bayero of creating tension in the state. “The former Emir was smuggled into Kano city last night in an attempt to forcefully return to the palace two days after being deposed by the Governor.” “”The Governor, it was confirmed that the new Emir, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, arrived at the palace in the company of the Governor, the Deputy Governor, the Speaker of the State Assembly, and other top government functionaries at about 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, 25th May 2024. “As the Chief Security Officer of the state, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, has directed the Commissioner of Police to arrest the deposed Emir with immediate effect for disturbing public peace and attempting to destroy the relative peace the state enjoys.”