Rivers Govt Reacts To APC’s Call For Emergency Rule 

The Rivers State Government has firmly dismissed recent calls by the Caretaker Committee Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers state, Tony Okocha, for the implementation of emergency rule in the state. The state’s Commissioner for Information and Communications, Joseph Johnson, characterized Okocha’s demands as “Bobo juice,” implying that they were frivolous and unworthy of serious consideration. During a press briefing, Commissioner Johnson expressed that Tony Okocha’s statements were merely “ranting” and did not merit a response. He accused Okocha of being notorious for spreading misinformation and engaging in scaremongering tactics that lack credibility. “Nobody would take such a character serious in the state,” Johnson added, reflecting the government’s dismissal of Okocha’s influence and assertions. The commissioner also referenced a past incident where Okocha had caused a public stir by claiming an outbreak of cholera in the state. Following these claims, a team of medical experts was dispatched to investigate, only to find that the allegations were false. He said: “On Tony Okocha, I don’t think that what Okocha said is worth giving any attention. We should not break our heads over what Tony Okocha said. “The other time, he said there was a cholera outbreak when the medical personnel visited the place they said there was nothing like that. “Another day he (Okocha) said he was welcoming members of the House of Assembly who defected to the APC. What is the position today? “He also said that he was going to ask the members of the House of Assembly to commence impeachment of the governor. What is the position today? “All these talks are what we call Bobo juice, He is talking to himself. He is not talking to anybody, and he is not talking to Rivers people.”

FG moves to sanction hospitals rejecting emergency patients

The Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye, has issued a strong warning to hospitals rejecting emergency patients. The Minister reiterated the Federal Government’s stance to go after the management of any hospital that refused to attend to patients rushed into their facilities in an emergency. Kennedy-Ohanenye gave the warning at the ‘Unlock Grants Award’ ceremony in Abuja on Sunday. In October 2023, the media was awash with the viral report of how a victim of a road traffic robbery popularly called ‘one chance’, Greatness Olorunfemi, died after being denied treatment when she was rushed to Maitama Hospital in Abuja. A similar thing happened a few years ago when two gunshot victims were rejected at a Lagos hospital, leading to their eventual death. The growing concerns compelled the House of Representatives earlier this year to task the Federal Ministry of Health to take decisive action against hospitals and healthcare facilities that refused to treat accident or gunshot patients without a police report. But Kennedy-Ohanenye said the FG would no longer allow such incidents to go unpunished, saying hospitals have been directed to start putting out signposts reflecting ‘No more rejection of emergency patients’ outside their facilities. The minister also revealed that a mobile court has been set up to start adjudicating on such cases. She said, “Our hospitals will also put a sign of ‘No more rejection of emergency patients.’ These are some of the major issues we have in this country. I am in touch with Maitama Hospital. But now, I have a mobile court for any hospital that does that. I use this opportunity to call on all Nigerians to be vigilant. “Let me also say that I am proud of Nigerians. I love the way they are using social media to tackle issues. But focus and continue to tackle the main issues as you are doing. Keep it up. But this is the time for action. “Let all of us buckle up to prevent emergency patients from being rejected. I am still going to keep calling on Nigerians. This fight is not for one person alone. It is for all of us.”

Breaking News: Fire Engulfs Supreme Court Complex

Breaking News: Fire Engulfs Supreme Court Complex

In a shocking development, a section of the Supreme Court complex, located in the heart of the Three Arms Zone in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has been engulfed in flames. Reports, although unconfirmed at this time, suggest that the offices of the three Justices of the Court have been affected by the fire. The incident has thrown a shroud of uncertainty over the nation, as the perpetrators and the Justices directly impacted by the attack remain unknown. This unfortunate event has occurred at a particularly sensitive juncture, with all eyes fixed on the Supreme Court due to its pivotal role in handling presidential election petitions. The news has left Nigerians deeply concerned. Further details on this developing situation will be provided shortly as the investigation unfolds. More details shortly…