Petrol Tanker Explosion Claims 5 Lives In Delta –PPRO

Petrol Tanker Explosion Claims 5 Lives In Delta –PPRO

The Police Command in Delta says five persons lost their lives in a petrol tanker explosion in the state. The spokesman of the command, DSP Bright Edafe, disclosed this to newsmen in Warri, saying the incident occurred on 1 October at Ugbenu in Ethiope West Local Government Area (LGA) of the state. He said that the tanker, laden with petrol, was heading towards Benin City in the morning when the unfortunate incident happened. “In the early hours of October 1, 2023, at about 0200hrs, the Command recorded a tragic incident where a tanker, laden with petroleum product, being driven towards Benin on the Warri – Benin Road fell at Ugbenu Koko Junction. “Its content spilled into the nearby swamp and the spillage attracted a couple of youths who took advantage of the incident and started scooping fuel into jerry cans and other containers. “While they were at it, an explosion erupted and the fire from the explosion engulfed the whole area. “The fire claimed lives of five persons among the youths who had come to scoop fuel,” Edafe said. He said that several properties, including eight buses of different makes, two tankers, five trailers, two motorcycles, a Sienna space wagon and a ‘C’ Class Mercedes Benz car were also burnt. Edafe said that the remains of the victims had been deposited at the Oghara General Hospital’s morgue in Ethiope West. He added that police operatives attached to the Oghara division, in collaboration with the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) at Ethiope West, had mobilised to the scene to ensure the free flow of traffic. Edafe said that the Commissioner of Police, Delta Command, Mr Wale Abass, had expressed his sympathy with the families that lost their loved ones in the incident. “It is sad that we never learn from past occurrences, since this is not the first time such incident has happened. “Nonetheless, I appeal that Nigerians should do away with greed and avoid scenes where there is an occurrence of oil spillages. “It poses a serious threat to their lives and the lives of others,” Edafe warned. 

Flood Sacks Riverine Communities In Delta

Flood Sacks Riverine Communities In Delta

No fewer than five riverine communities in Delta have been sacked by water in the Warri North Local Government Area. Mr Kenren Pere, Councillor representing Ogbinbiri ward 18, in Asigborodo Community disclosed this to newsmen on Monday in Warri. Pere said that the affected communities included Torukubuagbene, Awanba, Koropigbene, Itagbene and Asigborodo as well as adjourning communities. According to him, the incident began more than a week ago and the situation became worse on Friday. While appealing for an urgent intervention by the state government, the councillor said that the life of his people were at stake. Pere said: “I cannot attribute the course to flooding or the heavy torrential downpour that has been happening in recent time, though, rain has been falling before, but we have not had it so bad like this. “Many valuables including local boats, clothes, food items, and other means of livelihood have been destroyed by the unfortunate occurrence. “Lives are at stake, people can no longer go about their normal daily activities to feed, so there is hunger in the affected communities. “The overflow started more than a week ago, but the situation became worse three days ago, leaving my people in fear,” he said. Pere also appealed to the state government to send relief materials including food items to the people. to alleviate their suffering.” However, when contacted, Mr Smart Asekutu, Chairman, Warri North Local Government Area did not pick the several calls put across to his mobile line nor respond to the WhatsApp messages sent to his cell phone. Meanwhile, Mr Daniel Okpor, Director, Administration and Finance, Delta Emergency Management Agency said that the agency was not aware of the development. Okpor, however, requested for video clips of the incident to aid their findings and response. “Was the incident a result of flood or rainfall? We believe more on video than photographs. In the absence of video, you can send me photographs,” he requested. 

Tragedy As Illegal Fuel Depot Explosion Claims 34 Lives in Benin Republic

Tragedy As Illegal Fuel Depot Explosion Claims 34 Lives in Benin Republic

At least 34 individuals lost their lives in a devastating explosion at an illicit fuel depot near the Nigeria-Benin Republic border. Interior Minister Alassane Seidou conveyed this grim news during a press briefing. The incident unfolded in the town of Seme Podji, where a catastrophic fire erupted due to contraband fuel storage. Among the victims were two infants, their bodies tragically charred by the intense blaze. Additionally, Minister Seidou disclosed that 20 individuals sustained injuries and were currently receiving medical treatment, with some in critical condition. Fuel smuggling is a prevalent issue in the region, particularly along the borders with Nigeria. This illicit activity has been exacerbated by the Nigerian government’s previous fuel price subsidy, which incentivized smuggling due to lower petrol costs. The tragedy serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with illegal fuel depots and the urgent need for measures to combat such activities and enhance safety along border regions.

Abuja Building Collapse: Wike orders landlord’s, as victims assess losses

Abuja Building Collapse: Wike orders landlord’s, as victims assess losses

Following the collapse of a two-storey building on Lagos Street, Garki Village, Abuja, on Wednesday night, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Nyesom Wike, has directed the apprehension of the building’s owner. The incident resulted in the loss of two lives, with 37 individuals successfully evacuated and transported to medical facilities, according to a statement issued by the FCT Emergency Management Agency (FCT FEMA). During his visit to the collapse site on Thursday, Wike issued the order and emphasized the significance of accountability. Additionally, he instructed the Permanent Secretary of FCT Administration, Mr. Adesola Olusade, to cover the medical expenses of those who were hospitalized due to the collapse. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, Wike also called upon the Department of Development Control under the FCT Administration to swiftly relocate the affected residents of the community. He underscored the importance of collaboration between stakeholders and government officials, emphasizing their shared responsibility to ensure the well-being of all concerned. The aftermath of the building collapse has prompted a swift response from authorities, reflecting the gravity of the incident and the commitment to safeguarding lives and property. “This is what we are talking about; people just built houses without due diligence to minimum standards. “This is why cities are planned – forestall this kind of incidents. “I sympathise with those who lost their lives while the medical bills of those in the hospitals will be paid immediately,” he said. Earlier, the Director, Development Control, Mr Mukhtar Galadima, had explained that the area was unplanned and houses an indigenous community. Galadima said that the two-storey building was multipurpose and was for both residential and commercial use. The permanent secretary commended security agencies and some contractors who came out in their numbers to render support in evacuating the rubbles and search for more victims. Also, the Director-General, FCT FEMA, Dr Idriss Abass, said that relevant agencies had been on ground since the occurrence of the incident, to rescue the victims. Abass said that efforts were still ongoing “to ensure that no one is left under the rubbles”. Meanwhile, some of the victims, who spoke with newsmen said that they lost their investments and properties to the incident, and called for government support. One of them, Ms Glory Perekeme, who operates a restaurant and a bar at the building, said she lost about N5 million as she could not take anything from her restaurant. “I closed for business around 10:00 p.m. and was on my way home when I received a call that the building had collapsed and my investment gone. “I am still in shock; and I don’t even know where to start from. “I really need assistance. Government should come to our aid so we can start all over again,” she said. Another victim, Mrs Ann Anyi, who owned a laundry and sells shoes, said that she lost everything to the incident. “I have been crying since I got the news of the incident in the midnight. “I am just hoping that when the rescue operation is over, I will be able to salvage something from the rubbles,” she said.

Oil Rig Incident: NIMASA dispatches search and rescue team

Oil Rig Incident: NIMASA dispatches search and rescue team

In line with the mandate of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, which includes safe shipping and cleaner oceans, a team comprising of Search and Rescue and marine accident investigation officers have been dispatched to the scene of an incident involving the Majestic Rig belonging to Depthwize Nigeria Limited, which capsized at Ovhor in Warri, Delta State. Assistant Director, Public Relations of NIMASA Osagie Edward, in a statement on Wednesday evening stated that “initial findings has confirmed that the ill-fated Rig is Panama Flagged and has been operating on Nigerian waters since 2016 without requisite approvals from the Agency. “The ABS Classed inland Water Drilling 232 feet-long Barge, with a rated drilling depth of 30,000 feet collapsed where it was been towed from N04, 30:34 / E00543:57 enroute Ovhor 21 that belongs to SEPLAT Oil field in Delta State. “NIMASA has initiated contact with the Clean Nigerian Associate, a conglomerate of all International Oil Companies (IOCs’) responsible for the cleaning of Tier 2 oil spill, to establish the level of spillage at the scene of the incident. “In addition, the Agency is in communication with officials of SEPLAT Energy Limited chatterers of the ill-fated Rig who are expected to officially report the incident within 24 hours in line with the provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act 2007,” the statement read.

RCL Safety Centre introduces in-country assembled fire trucks

RCL Safety Centre introduces in-country assembled fire trucks

*Guarantees local maintenance, fire drills A global leader RCL Safety Centre the global leader in Industrial Safety Products and emergency response has announced the launch of its new initiative— in-country assembled fire trucks with guaranteed local support, maintenance, and fire drills. The initiative it said, is meant for organizations, institutions, and individuals who believe in a culture of prevention of lives and properties as well as quick response to fire incidents. RCL Safety Centre is an international Health and Safety Centre dedicated to Industrial and Hazardous Safety Services for Manufacturing, Petrochemical, Oil and Gas, Marine Industries etc. Fire trucks are undeniably one of the most effective firefighting apparatus. The primary purposes of a fire truck include transporting firefighters, chemical(s), and water to an incident as well as carrying equipment for firefighting operations. Speaking of the fire trucks, Joe Oduah CEO of RCL Industrial Safety Centre Ltd told NAN that RCL was a global brand in industrial safety solutions, adding that the company is fully equipped to help preserve the lives and properties of organizations. “We’ve already established ourselves as a leader in industrial safety solutions, we are offering quick and cost-effective options to organizations without organizations having to incur the additional cost and time of importing fire trucks from abroad. “Our local support and maintenance programs are guaranteed to have your equipment fully functional and responsive. “To help preserve lives and properties of organizations, RCL Safety Centre fire trucks are available in single, dual, or triple agents combining water, powder, and chemicals with low- or high-pressure pumps to suit industrial or community applications. “Training and routine drills are provided to guarantee round-the-clock readiness,” he said. He said the aim of RCL was to partner with relevant authorities and agencies to provide fire trucks in every market, airports, refineries, fuel depots, industrial and residential estates etc., and to have the best vehicle(s) to respond to the risks in their area. “For instance, when Fire Control receives a call to an incident the nearest fire station does not respond in isolation, as they often do, and can be easily overwhelmed. “Our plan is to ensure that the resident fire truck(s) acts as a first responder while the needed support from nearby communities responds in addition,” he said.