Vote Buying: EFCC Intercepts N11.04m, Arrests 14 Suspected In Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi

Vote Buying: EFCC Intercepts N11.04m, Arrests 14 Suspected In Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 14 suspected vote buyers in Otueke, Adawari playgrounds in Bayelsa  and at various polling units in Imo and Kogi. EFCC Spokesperson Dele Oyewale said this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja. According to him, the suspects were arrested on Saturday in intelligence-driven operations that commenced several days before the ongoing governorship elections in the three states. “Also, a total sum of N11,040,000, comprising N9,310,00 intercepted from suspected vote buyers and sellers in Bayelsa, and N1,730,000 intercepted from electoral fraud suspects across Imo State, were recovered from them. “Also, two vehicles were intercepted from the suspects. They will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded,” he said. The commission had earlier deployed its personnel to monitor the Saturday’s governorship elections in the three states. Oyewale had said in a statement on Friday in Abuja, that the aim of the deployment was to prevent politicians and their agents from engaging in vote buying during the elections. He explained that the exercise was part of the commission’s drive to checkmate electoral fraud and associated financial crimes. 

Tribunal ruling, a clear verdict on integrity of Nigeria’s electoral process- Akpabio

Tribunal ruling, a clear verdict on integrity of Nigeria’s electoral process- Akpabio

Senate President, Godswill Akpabio has said that the Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) delivered a clear verdict which resounds the integrity of Nigeria’s electoral process. Akpabio, in a statement on Thursday lauded the court judgment which affirmed the victory of President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima in the 2023 presidential election. He said the verdict is an affirmation of the popular mandate by Nigerians for Tinubu and Shettima at the February 25 presidential election. Akpabio congratulated Tinubu and Shettima on the resounding affirmation of their mandate. Akpabio said that the five-member panel painstakingly evaluated all the issues raised by the petitioners and and gave a clear ruling. He said it was clear for dispassionate observers that despite the challenges, Nigeria’s electoral process was making a steady progress and deserves the appreciation and support of all Nigerians and friends of Nigeria. Akpabio urged Nigerians to continue to support Tinubu’s government in its drive to deliver the renewed hope agenda of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). “I also congratulate our great party, the All-Progressives Congress (APC), on its vindication by this well-thought-out landmark judgement. “This judgment has expressly affirmed the popular mandate of the Nigerian people for our party the APC and its Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates, freely given at the February 2023 polls. “As the court has painstakingly addressed all the issues raised by the petitioners, I urge all concerned to accept the judgment and join hands with the Tinubu government in its bold efforts to secure the wellbeing of our people,” Akpabio said.