DSS kills kidnapper of popular Hausa singer Rarara’s mother, recovers N26.5m

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma Department of State Services operatives have killed one and arrested another of the kidnappers of Hajiya Hauwa’u Adamu, mother of popular Kano-based Hausa singer, Dauda Rarara. Gunmen had broken into the residence of Rara’s mother in Kahutu village in Danja Local Government Area of Kano State and abducted her on Friday, June 28, 2024. She, however, regained freedom after spending 20 days in captivity. A highly placed source in the secret service told Daily Trust that N26.5 million was also recovered in a covert operation. The source said the Kano command’s tactical team, based on reliable intelligence, busted a gang of five bandits in Makarfi bush where they were sharing the ransom. “One Hamisu Tukur, is currently in custody with gunshot injuries, while Bature was killed,” the source said
DSS arrests former Oyo PMS chairman, Auxiliary

The Department of State Services has reportedly arrested Mukaila Lamidi, the embattled chairman of the Oyo State Park Management System, popularly known as Auxiliary. According to The Punch, Auxiliary was arrested at about 4:00 pm on Tuesday at his residence in the Olodo area of Ibadan, the state capital. Although the reasons for his arrest are still sketchy, a source who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity because of the weight of the matter said it was because of an interview he granted on Saturday, May 4, in which he called out Seye Famojuro, a trusted ally of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, for being behind his woes. In the interview he granted to Media personnel, Ajibola Akinyefa, in the Yoruba Language, the former PMS chairman said, “If he (Famojuro) is the governor or Seyi Makinde is, we will know. It is just a matter of time. Everybody will face the consequences of their actions. The people he chose to manage the park are cheating themselves. When asked if it was his hooliganism that led to his removal, Auxiliary queried how many people reported that he beat them to the police. He further said that Seye would still return to Ijesha because Ibadan is not his homeland. “Seye will still go back to Ijesha because Ibadan is not his town. Only Governor Seyi Makinde and I will remain here because we won’t run away. And I see that the bird is not working, but God feeds it. Seye will reap the seeds of his actions,” he added.
Unlawful detention: Court orders DSS to pay Abuja Driver N5m

Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon of the federal high court, Abuja, Thursday, ordered the Department of the State Service (DSS) to pay five million (5million), over the unlawful arrest and detention of an Abuja based commercial driver, Sanusi Shuaib. Justice Olajuwon also ordered the DSS to immediately release him after keeping him in detention without trial since January 16, 2023. The court held that the prosecution agency action contravenes section 35 of the 1999 Constitution, which prohibited detention of any Nigerian beyond a maximum period of 48 hours without an order of Court. The Judge said that DSS on March 29, 2023, got an order of the Federal High Court to hold and detain the driver for only 20 days to investigate and charge him to court if indicted for any criminal matters. The Court said that since the DSS did not apply to the court for extension of the 20 days detention period and also did not charge him to court for any offence, any detention outside the 20 days was unlawful, illegal, unconstitutional and null and void. Recall that the detained driver had through his counsel, Bala Dakum dragged the DSS before the court to challenge his detention without trial since his arrest on March 16 last year. He claimed that the DSS upon arrest accused him of being in possession of firearms for some terrorists and had since remained in the custody of the respondent. The applicant prayed for his release and N50M compensation for the unlawful detention. Justice Olajuwon in the judgment agreed that the fundamental rights of the applicant to freedom of movement had been breached by the DSS. The Judge faulted the claim of the DSS that it was granted six months to detain the driver adding that what the court granted was just 20 days. Justice Olajuwon also disagreed with the DSS that the detainee had been moved to the Military detention facility in Gwa gwa, Niger State for trial in terrorism offences adding that there was no evidence to that effect placed before the court. The Judge also faulted the claim of the security agency that the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice gave approval for the trial of the driver. Justice Olajuwon who quoted the letter of the AGF said that the AGF office only recommended that fresh investigation be conducted into the allegations against the driver but which was never done. Consequently, the court nullified the continued detention of the driver and ordered his immediate release from the DSS custody in Abuja.