FG Working On Safe Resettlement Of IDPs, Others, Matawalle Assures UN

FG Working On Safe Resettlement Of IDPs, Others, Matawalle Assures UN

The Minister of State for Defence, His Excellency, Dr. Bello Muhammed Matawalle MON, has assured the Representative of the United Nations that the Federal Government is working out modalities to resettle returnees and the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Nigeria to a safe and better living condition. The Minister gave this assurance when the Representative of United Nations Mines Action Services paid him a courtesy visit on Tuesday, 24th October 2023 in Ship House Abuja.  Matawalle said that Federal Government would partner with UNMAS in working out a workable solution in reintegrating IDPs and farmers into society for better life. “We need to redesign action plan for the IDP returnees and farmers to go back to their farms,” he said.  According to him there was the need for Federal Government to provide essential technical support for the establishment of a national mine action centre in the North East and extend it to North West where incidence of insurgency has increased. “Such centre will afford the IDPs the opportunity to return to their Communities and have access to quality education.” The representative of the United Nations Mines Action Services to Nigeria, Edwin Faigmane, said that the UNMAS is to collaborate with the Nigerian Army to secure success for Mines Action Services Operations in Nigeria.  Furthermore, he stated that there was need to conduct Technical Surveys to identify hazardous areas that need to be safe before any other activities could take place. Edwin commended the Minister for the audience and requested that they count on Government’s support in identifying areas of collaboration.

15,000 missing persons recorded in North East –Red Cross

15,000 missing persons recorded in North East –Red Cross

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), says it has registered 15,000 persons as missing by relatives as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East. Ms Lilian Dube, Family Links Team Lead, ICRC in Maiduguri, stated this at an event to commemorate the 2023 International Day of the Disappeared, on Wednesday in Maiduguri. She said the figure could be higher but the number of those who registered with the organisation stood at 15,000, adding that most of them hailed from Borno. Dube said that 900 of the missing persons had been reunited with thier families through the ICRC. Mr Serge Zogg, Head Sub-Delegation, ICRC, who interacted with families of some of the missing persons at Ngarannam Ward of Maiduguri, assured of the organisation’s sustained support towards finding the missing persons. “This event is for you, and it is a testament to your strength and resilience as you navigate through the challenges brought by absence of your loved ones. “Please know that the ICRC stands with you in solidarity as you commemorate your missing family members. “The ICRC is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of persons affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence, and to provide them with assistance,” Zogg said. He lauded the Borno government for its support and cooperation to the organisation. Also, the District Head of Ngarannam, Lawan Shettima, lauded the ICRC’s restoration of family links and psychosocial support to families of missing persons programmes. Shettima said the interventions by the ICRC impacted positively to the lives of the affected families in the area. Highlights of the event included sharing of testimonies by some members of the affected families.