BREAKING: Adoke discharged, acquitted of all charges as court dismisses EFCC’s second case

Justice Inyang Ekwo of the federal high court, Abuja, on Friday upheld the “no case” submission by Mohammed Bello Adoke, former attorney-general of the federation, on charges of money laundering. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had charged Adoke and Abubakar Aliyu, a property developer, to court in 2017, alleging money laundering to the tune of N300 million. Although there is no mention of the OPL 245 transaction in this case, the same particulars were also charged by the EFCC before Justice Abubakar Kutigi of the FCT high court in 2020. While the EFCC admitted before Ekwo that it was a mortgage that Adoke took from Unity Bank, it alleged before Kutigi that the money was a bribe from the sale of the oil block by Malabu Oil & Gas Ltd in 2011. On March 28, 2024, Kutigi pointed out the contradiction while dismissing the charges against Adoke and other defendants, chiding the EFCC for wasting the court’s time for four years. In his own ruling on Friday morning, Ekwo said the EFCC did not provide any evidence to prove the essential elements of the offence against Adoke, who was listed as the first defendant. He upheld the no case submission, discharging and acquitting, However, Ekwo ruled that Aliyu, the second defendant, has to open his defence because he has a case to answer.
OPL 245 Saga: Mohammed Adoke discharged, acquitted

Abubakar Kutigi of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) high court, has dismissed and acquitted the former Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) Mohammed Bello Adoke, of the charges of fraud, bribery and conspiracy brought against him by the federal government. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) prosecuted Adoke on alleged N300 million bribe said to have been given to Adoke. This is expected to finally bring litigation over the OPL 245 saga to an end. The court ruled that the EFCC did not provide any evidence to prove its case. Ruling on the “no case” submission made by Adoke, Kutigi said the EFCC failed to prove its charges of fraud, bribery and money laundering and ruled that the defendant has no case to answer. Consequently, he discharged and acquitted the former minister on all counts. The judge said the allegation of illegal tax waivers granted to Shell and Eni was not collaborated by the Federal Inland Revenue (FIRS) or any authority in government. Nigeria has now lost virtually all the cases it filed or joined in Italy, the UK and Nigeria. The EFCC had earlier conceded that it did not have sufficient evidence to oppose the applications by Adoke. Meanwhile, the court insisted that Rasky Gbinigie had a case to answer over the alleged forgery of company documents to remove the name of Mohammed Abacha as a director.
Alleged N805m fraud: Supreme Court frees Nwaoboshi

The Supreme Court, Friday, nullified the conviction of Senator Peter Nwaoboshi who represents Delta North, and his sentencing to seven years imprisonment for offences of fraud and money laundering. The apex court also ordered his immediate release from Ikoyi Prison in Lagos, where he is currently being held. The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) had accused Nwaoboshi and his companies of illegally acquiring a property named Guinea House on Marine Road, in Apapa, Lagos, for N805 million, the property said to belong to the Delta State Govt. Delivering Judgement, the Court also freed the two companies-Golden Touch Construction Project Ltd and Suiming Electrical Ltd – tried with him on a two-count charge brought against them by the Prosecution agency. In a split judgement of four-to-one, the Supreme Court set aside the July 1, 2022 judgment of the Court of Appeal, Lagos, which had reversed their discharge and acquittal by a Federal High Court in Lagos. In a lead judgment by Justice Emmanuel Agim, the apex court held that Nwaobishi and the two companies were unjustly and maliciously prosecuted by the EFCC for committing no offences known to law, and subjected them to criminal trial in relation civil transaction, needlessly. They had claimed that part of the money paid for the property was transferred by Suiming Electrical Ltd on behalf of Nwaoboshi and Golden Touch Construction Project Ltd, adding the funds are believed to be proceeds of their illicit activities.