Police Begin Investigation Of Borno Commissioner’s Mysterious Death

Borno State Commissioner for Rehabilitation, Reconstruction and Resettlement (RRR), Engr. Ibrahim Idriss Garba, has tragically passed away. The Commissioner’s untimely death occurred on Saturday morning at his Guest House located in the 777 Housing Estate in Maiduguri, the State capital. In response to this unfortunate event, the Borno State Police Command has initiated an “urgent investigation” into the circumstances surrounding the Commissioner’s demise. This development was communicated by Governor Babagana Umara Zulum’s spokesperson, Malam Isa Gusau, through a statement released to the media on Saturday. It was further revealed that the State Commissioner of Police has already visited the residence where Engr. Garba lost his life in Maiduguri on the same day. The Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, expressed deep shock and profound grief upon receiving the news of the Commissioner’s passing. He joined in mourning with Engr. Garba’s family, close acquaintances, friends, colleagues, and members of the state executive council during this difficult time.
93 Unexploded Bombs Discovered In Lagos Cantonment

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the recovery of a total of ninety-three unexploded ordnance, or bombs, at the Ikeja Military Cantonment located in Lagos. This significant discovery was made during the ongoing military operation known as ‘Exercise Clean Sweep,’ as announced in an official statement released on Thursday. The operation, which commenced on Tuesday, October 10, 2023, was initiated with the primary objective of decontaminating the area that had been the epicentre of a devastating bomb explosion back in 2002. The recovered ordnance varies in terms of their calibre and characteristics, according to the report from the Army. Colonel Abdulrazaq Kazeem, the Director of the Directorate of Explosives Search and Disposal and the Coordinator of Exercise Clean Sweep, provided an update during his first briefing. He confirmed the retrieval of a total of ninety-three unexploded ordnance from the site up to this point. Despite prior efforts to clear and dispose of explosives at the site, remnants of unexploded ordnance have continued to be discovered within and around the vicinity of the bomb blast. This persistent presence poses a significant threat to the safety and security of the Cantonment’s residents and the surrounding environment. Colonel Kazeem emphasized strict safety measures in handling these explosives, stating, “The moment we reach the maximum limits of explosives within our holding area, such ordinances will be moved to the range. If we get to the explosive limits today, I will move to the range today. We wouldn’t exceed a kilogram above the explosive limits because it is measured in kilograms. At 93, we have not yet reached the limits.” The Safety Officer, Lt. Col. Oluseyi Oladapo Bamikole, reassured that adequate safety measures had been put in place to protect personnel involved in the recovery efforts. These measures include demarcations and trained personnel to identify unexploded ordnance before recovery from the site, ensuring the safety of both military personnel and the local community.
13 Hostages Killed By Israeli Airstrikes — Hamas

Al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, on Friday said at least 13 hostages captured by Hamas were killed in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza in the past 24 hours. In a statement, it said “foreigners and Israelis were killed during the intense Israeli attacks in northern Gaza and inside Gaza City during the past 24 hours.’’ Six were killed in the northern Gaza Strip, while seven were killed in separate places in Gaza City, according to the statement. The Israeli army announced that it attacked about 750 targets Thursday night in the Gaza Strip, including underground tunnels, military compounds and sites. It added that the attack had also been on homes of officials, weapons depots and communication rooms in attempting to eliminate activists.
Gunmen Kidnap Benue Commissioner For Information

The Benue State Government has confirmed the abduction of Mr Matthew Aboh, Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, on Sunday evening. The Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the Governor, Sir Tersoo Kula, confirmed on Monday in Makurdi. According to Sir Kula, Governor Hyacinth Alia had received the unfortunate news and has already directed security operatives to ensure his safe release. The abduction allegedly took place about 8pm. “Yes, we received the unfortunate news, and the governor has already detailed security operatives to do everything possible to ensure his safe release,” the text message read. There were confirmed reports that several gunmen stormed the commissioner’s residence in Zaki-Biam, Ukum Local Government Area and kidnapped him. Eyewitnesses stated that the kidnappers who came on four motorcycles, ordered everyone in the house, including Mrs Aboh and children, to lie face down before they took the Commissioner to an unknown destination. The witnesses said the abductors compelled the commissioner at gun point to sit behind the rider of one of the motorcycles while a gunman sand-witched him. Mr Aboh was sworn in as a member of the Benue State Executive Council on August 29. He hails from Ukum LGA of Sankera axis, a major flashpoint of criminal activities with rampant killings and kidnappings for years now. Meanwhile, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Sewuese Anene, said the Command was yet to receive the report on the incident.
I Can’t Deny Or Confirm Arrest Of CBN Deputy Gov, Aisha Ahmad- DSS Spokesman

The Department of State Services (DSS) has kept mum on the reported arrest of the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in charge of Financial System Stability, Aisha Ahmad. The media has been awash on Sunday with reports that the secret police apprehended Ahmad over her alleged involvement in the acquisition of shares in Polaris Bank, Titan Bank/Union Bank. It was gathered that the banker is being quizzed on how $300 million meant to complete the acquisition of Union Bank was raised by Titan Bank. Although the details of the arrest are still sketchy, the secret police and the apex bank have not reacted to the reports. According to reports on Channels Television on Sunday, when contacted, DSS spokesman, Peter Afunanya, said that he cannot confirm or deny that Ahmad is in their custody or has been invited for questioning. He stated that in the course of any investigation, people can be invited for questioning and those invitations are carried out within the ambit of the law. This is coming about two months after the secret service arrested Ahmad’s former boss at the CBN, Godwin Emefiele. He has been in the DSS custody since then. Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was first charged with possession of a firearm but was later charged with N6.9 billion fraud.