FG Denies N50bn Plea Bargain With Emefiele

The Federal Government on Sunday, distanced itself from a purported N50 billion planned non-prosecution plea bargain with the embattled former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele. The detained ex CBN Boss was reported to have entered into a plea bargain with government on condition of surrendering N50b to facilitate his early release from the custody of the Department of the State Service DSS and cancelling his trial on charges comprising money laundering, breach of Public Procurement Act and abuse of office. However, on Sunday, the Attorney General of the Federation AGF and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Olasunkanmi Fagbemi said neither his office or the Presidency have had anything of such nature with Emefiele. The position of the Federal Government was made public in a statement by the Director of Information in the Federal Ministry of Justice Mrs Modupe Ogundoro. The statement reads in part: “The attention of the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice has been drawn to a report by Sahara Reporters alleging that the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Godwin Emefiele and the Federal Government of Nigeria, have agreed to a non-prosecution plea bargain arrangement. “The report further alleges that Mr. Godwin Emefiele and the Federal Government of Nigeria, represented by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, have signed a non-prosecution plea bargain agreement and that the agreement is awaiting the signature of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, “The Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice hereby states clearly that these reports are completely false. “It would be noted that the legal team representing Mr. Godwin Emefiele had expressed their intention in court at the last hearing to initiate a plea bargain arrangement. “However, no such arrangement has been reached with Mr. Godwin Emefiele or his representatives. “We wish to advise the media and members of the public to kindly disregard the said false report. “The Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice will continue to take all actions in the interest of the Nigerian public,” Fagbemi assured.
I Can’t Deny Or Confirm Arrest Of CBN Deputy Gov, Aisha Ahmad- DSS Spokesman

The Department of State Services (DSS) has kept mum on the reported arrest of the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in charge of Financial System Stability, Aisha Ahmad. The media has been awash on Sunday with reports that the secret police apprehended Ahmad over her alleged involvement in the acquisition of shares in Polaris Bank, Titan Bank/Union Bank. It was gathered that the banker is being quizzed on how $300 million meant to complete the acquisition of Union Bank was raised by Titan Bank. Although the details of the arrest are still sketchy, the secret police and the apex bank have not reacted to the reports. According to reports on Channels Television on Sunday, when contacted, DSS spokesman, Peter Afunanya, said that he cannot confirm or deny that Ahmad is in their custody or has been invited for questioning. He stated that in the course of any investigation, people can be invited for questioning and those invitations are carried out within the ambit of the law. This is coming about two months after the secret service arrested Ahmad’s former boss at the CBN, Godwin Emefiele. He has been in the DSS custody since then. Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was first charged with possession of a firearm but was later charged with N6.9 billion fraud.
NUC, VCs deny bribery allegation against Reps C’ttee

The National Universities Commission (NUC) and Committee of Vice Chancellors (VCs) have denied bribery and extortion allegations against the House of Representatives Ad-hoc Committee probing job racketeering and mismanagement of IPPIS in MDAs. Prof. Chris Maiyaki, the acting Executive Secretary, NUC, and Prof. Isiah Tanko, the VC of University of Jos, denied the allegation as reported by an online medium. They denied the report attributed to them when they jointly appeared before the committee in Abuja on Friday. Speaking on the issue as reported by the medium which alleged that the committee collected money from NUC and VCs for soft-landing over the probe, the NUC official said the report was baseless. According to him, the publication is regrettable, whatever the substance is, we wish that this does not impugn the partnership we have with the lawmakers which we should be promoting. Maiyaki said the universities occupied a special place in the life of any nation, advising that the lawmakers and the universities should come together to create a game changer for the country. On his part, Tanko, who represented Prof. Lilian Salami, the Chairman of the Committee of VCs, said they read the publication, but added that the VCs were not part of the allegation. “We read the disturbing publication and I can say that the VCs were not part of that and we did not provide any bribe to anybody, “We all dispersed from the committee investigative hearing as soon as we finished the last time we appeared before you,” said the representatives of the VCs. Maiyaki stressed that: “Soliciting money for bribes is out of contest and not true, the reporter did not find out the fact. We have hope and confidence in this ad hoc committee.” He said more than five programmes of University of Jos were in danger of being dis-accredited because of lack of manpower, adding “we were looking up to the committee to correct that”. The Chairman of the Ad-hoc Committee, Rep. Yusuf Gagdi, however noted that the publication was a sponsored to divert the attention of the members from finding out the deep-rooted evil that existed in public sectors. “It is not even our mandate to investigate the publication by Premium Times, but to investigate alleged racketeering in MDAs. “The investigating authorities like the ICPC and EFCC have been given the mandate to investigate those allegations and the account number,” he said.
NNPP makes U-turn, denies suspending Kwankwaso

The National Working Committee (NWC) of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) has refuted the purported suspension of Sen. Rabiu Kwankwaso, the 2023 Presidential Candidate from the party.Mr Ladipo Johnson, the NNPP National Auditor, stated this at a news conference on Wednesday the party’s National Headquarters in Abuja.Johnson, a former spokesperson for Kwankwanso Presidential Campaign Council, said that the suspension was null and void.A faction of the party headed by a former Board of Trustees (BoT) Chairman, Mr Boniface Aniebonan had on Tuesday suspended Kwankwaso for six months over alleged anti-party activities, after a parallel National Executive Committee (NEC) in Lagos.It also appointed the former National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr Major Agbo as the acting National Chairman.But, Johnson said that Aniebonam and Agbo were on August 24 suspended for three months for engaging in unwholesome acts before they were later expelled from the party.He added that the party NEC, at its meeting on Tuesday in Abuja which was monitored by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), took certain decisions including the election of new national officials, change of the party logo and expulsion of Aniebonam and Agbo.“Is it not funny that all those people either suspended or expelled would gather somewhere and claim to have suspended Kwankwaso and also dissolve the NWC? “The jokers also appointed a CTC made up of those people who have ceased to be members of the party by virtue of our constitution. “Was INEC at the meeting? Did they write INEC? Who and who signed the letter? “Is it not laughable that Major Agbo, who announced the suspension of the former chairmen, the expulsion of two of them, and the dissolution of some of the states is now purportedly “heading” their caretaker committee,” Johnson said. He said it was unfortunate that some people had reduced politics and party administration to huge jokes. “The news that one person will sit somewhere and arrogate certain powers to himself is not permissible in a democracy. “We are using this medium to assure our supporters all over the country that there is no substance in the story. “Kwankwaso remains the face of the party, has not been suspended, and the NWC under Ali remains intact,’’ he said.Johnson however, admitted that Kwankwaso was invited to meetings by President Bola Tinubu on some issues saying that the meetings were far from being anti-party activities. He said that while Kwankwaso always took permission before attending such meetings, no conclusion had so far been reached from the meetings. He also denied the allegation that Kwankwaso hijacked the party from members who were in the party before he joined with his movement in February 2022. Johnson, however, said that the party leadership would do its best for possible reconciliation. Also speaking, Mr Oluwatosin Odeyemi, the Chairman, forum of NNPP state chairmen, said the purported suspension of Kwankwaso was politics of bitterness. “Let me remind you that the present secretary of that group was expelled from this party and Agbo was the one who read it out that he had been expelled. Agbo attended all the meetings of that committee. “So, you can see that it’s politics of bitterness. Something you read is something you agreed with. It was not as if you were pressure to read a release as the national publicity secretary. “So now an expelled person that you confirm his explosion is whom you are now regarding so as yours, secretary,’’ Odeyemi said.
I didn’t purchase N300m bullet proof SUV -Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike has refuted claims of purchasing a N300 million Armoured Lexus LX600 SUV on assumption to office. Wike made the rebuttal shortly after a visit to Metro Train Station, Abuja on Wednesday to inspect ongoing rehabilitation of Abuja Rail Mass Transport System. Some sections of the media had published a picture of an Armored Lexus SUV model LX 600, fitted with ‘FCT – 01’ plate. The reports claimed that the SUV, which cost more than N300 million, belonged to the new FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike. But Wike refuted the claim, describing it as mere “mischief”, stressing that he was sworn in on Monday and had not even sat down to work yet. He said that all he did was interact with staff and today (Wednesday), went to the Metro Train Station, Abuja with the Minister of State for FCT to see things for themselves. “We are now going back to the office to interact with each of the departments in the Federal Capital Territory Administration. “But I have seen what is going on in the social media, how the FCTA Permanent Secretary bought a bullet proof car of N300 million that I am using. “So, I want you people to go hit your hand there (on the car) and see whether it is a treated car. “With all due respect, people should be careful not to destroy other people,” he said. He explained that when he resumed, the Permanent Secretary, Mr Adesola Olusade had told him that the FCTA has cars that the ministers would use. “And the car we use is this (pointing at a regular Lexus SUV). “I have never approved for any car to be bought and I have not used any official bullet proof car. “I am not using a bullet proof car as FCT Minister, so we should report the right thing, and not destroy ourselves. “I want you to take a look at the car I came with, the one with the flag and see whether it is a bullet proof car”, he asked the journalists at the scene. In a related development, the Director Press, Office of the Minister, Mr Anthony Ogunleye, dismissed claims by some media outfits that Wike plans to demolish 6,000 houses across 30 settlements in Abuja, including Wadata Plaza. “We would like to categorically state that these stories are entirely false and without any basis,” Ogunleye said. He explained that the story on the demolition of 6,000 houses was reported by a national daily newspaper on Aug. 22, with the caption “Abuja land: FG may revoke land allocations, demolish 6000 buildings, slums”. He added that another mainstream newspaper also published what he described as an “irritating story”, with a caption, “Wadata Plaza will go down, Reactions trail Wike’s demolition threat”. “For the avoidance of doubt, the Minister did not in any of his pronouncements list the areas or the number of illegal houses to be removed. “Rather, his emphasis has always been that illegal settlements and structures would be removed for the greater good of the public. “Equally vexing” is the headline from a reputable broadcast station saying, “I will fix Abuja in 6 days” and attributed the same to the FCT Minister. “We wish to state quite clearly that at no time did the Honourable Minister say this or allude to this phrase in any way. This headline, therefore, is borne purely out of mischief,” he said. The director press pointed out that such sensational reporting not only misleads the public but also undermines the vital role that accurate and well-researched journalism plays in society.
Allegations against our CEE smear campaign, unsubstantiated – NUPRC

Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission has described allegations against its Chief Executive of Engr. Gbenga Komolafe as a campaign by some individuals to smear his reputation. The Commission in a statement Thursday in Abuja, said the allegations were not only malicious and completely false, but were libelous and unsubstantiated. NUPRC Staff had barricaded the gate of the Commission demanding the immediate sack of Gbenga Komolafe, alleging he was using his position to engage in fraudulent activities. According to the workers, Komolafe is said to be engaged in illegal recruitment, and a lack of regard for workers’ welfare, among others. The protesting members of staff had dressed in black and red attire, in their hundreds to besiege and place a casket bearing ‘RIP Fraud’ at the main entrance to the NUPRC complex. The Commission stated that the sum of N10 billion alleged to have been misappropriated with N4 billion donated to political parties under Komolafe, was completely false, daring the protesting workers to publish details of the transaction. “The purveyor of the falsehood is challenged to publish details of the account of the Commission from where the donations originated from and the accounts of the political parties involved where the N4 billion and N6 billion was deposited,” the statement said. The Commission stated that every employment exercise followed due process. According to the Commission, the Petroleum Industry Act 2021 empowers the board of the Commission to appoint, promote and remuneration. It added that statutorily, the Federal Character Commission regulates compliance with statutory procedure with regards to recruitment into public establishments, noting that the recruitment alleged was done in compliance with all procedures and compliance certificates issued. “The issue raised during the industrial action relates to sundry claims including travel expenses which are paid from time to time in line with the availability of funds,” it further said.