Petrol Tanker Explosion Claims 5 Lives In Delta –PPRO

Petrol Tanker Explosion Claims 5 Lives In Delta –PPRO

The Police Command in Delta says five persons lost their lives in a petrol tanker explosion in the state. The spokesman of the command, DSP Bright Edafe, disclosed this to newsmen in Warri, saying the incident occurred on 1 October at Ugbenu in Ethiope West Local Government Area (LGA) of the state. He said that the tanker, laden with petrol, was heading towards Benin City in the morning when the unfortunate incident happened. “In the early hours of October 1, 2023, at about 0200hrs, the Command recorded a tragic incident where a tanker, laden with petroleum product, being driven towards Benin on the Warri – Benin Road fell at Ugbenu Koko Junction. “Its content spilled into the nearby swamp and the spillage attracted a couple of youths who took advantage of the incident and started scooping fuel into jerry cans and other containers. “While they were at it, an explosion erupted and the fire from the explosion engulfed the whole area. “The fire claimed lives of five persons among the youths who had come to scoop fuel,” Edafe said. He said that several properties, including eight buses of different makes, two tankers, five trailers, two motorcycles, a Sienna space wagon and a ‘C’ Class Mercedes Benz car were also burnt. Edafe said that the remains of the victims had been deposited at the Oghara General Hospital’s morgue in Ethiope West. He added that police operatives attached to the Oghara division, in collaboration with the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) at Ethiope West, had mobilised to the scene to ensure the free flow of traffic. Edafe said that the Commissioner of Police, Delta Command, Mr Wale Abass, had expressed his sympathy with the families that lost their loved ones in the incident. “It is sad that we never learn from past occurrences, since this is not the first time such incident has happened. “Nonetheless, I appeal that Nigerians should do away with greed and avoid scenes where there is an occurrence of oil spillages. “It poses a serious threat to their lives and the lives of others,” Edafe warned. 

Flood Sacks Riverine Communities In Delta

Flood Sacks Riverine Communities In Delta

No fewer than five riverine communities in Delta have been sacked by water in the Warri North Local Government Area. Mr Kenren Pere, Councillor representing Ogbinbiri ward 18, in Asigborodo Community disclosed this to newsmen on Monday in Warri. Pere said that the affected communities included Torukubuagbene, Awanba, Koropigbene, Itagbene and Asigborodo as well as adjourning communities. According to him, the incident began more than a week ago and the situation became worse on Friday. While appealing for an urgent intervention by the state government, the councillor said that the life of his people were at stake. Pere said: “I cannot attribute the course to flooding or the heavy torrential downpour that has been happening in recent time, though, rain has been falling before, but we have not had it so bad like this. “Many valuables including local boats, clothes, food items, and other means of livelihood have been destroyed by the unfortunate occurrence. “Lives are at stake, people can no longer go about their normal daily activities to feed, so there is hunger in the affected communities. “The overflow started more than a week ago, but the situation became worse three days ago, leaving my people in fear,” he said. Pere also appealed to the state government to send relief materials including food items to the people. to alleviate their suffering.” However, when contacted, Mr Smart Asekutu, Chairman, Warri North Local Government Area did not pick the several calls put across to his mobile line nor respond to the WhatsApp messages sent to his cell phone. Meanwhile, Mr Daniel Okpor, Director, Administration and Finance, Delta Emergency Management Agency said that the agency was not aware of the development. Okpor, however, requested for video clips of the incident to aid their findings and response. “Was the incident a result of flood or rainfall? We believe more on video than photographs. In the absence of video, you can send me photographs,” he requested. 

Meet Sunday Ekedayen: Delta State’s visionary Commissioner for Economic Planning

Meet Sunday Ekedayen: Delta State's visionary Commissioner for Economic Planning

Mr. Sunday A. Ekedayen, a Chartered Accountant renowned for his astute administrative skills, currently serves as the Delta State Commissioner for Economic Planning. Holding an impressive academic background, Ekedayen is an alumnus of the University of Lagos, a versatile manager of both human and material resources, and a figure seamlessly integrated into various sectors. His journey began in the early 1990s when he entered the finance industry, swiftly ascending the ranks within one of the national Development Finance Institutions (DFIs). Fondly known as Sonny, his professional prowess and kindhearted nature endeared him to colleagues and management alike. His willingness to support others made him a cornerstone of the organizations he has served. A significant milestone in Ekedayen’s career came with the transformation of the Bank of Industry, arising from the amalgamation of Nigeria Industrial Development Bank (NIDB), Nigeria Bank for Commerce and Industry (NCI), and National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND). In this transformative phase, Sonny played a pivotal role in crafting operational protocols for the reimagined enterprise, now recognized as the Bank of Industry. Much like a versatile utility player, Sonny showcased his adaptability by maneuvering through various units of the newly formed bank, culminating in his leadership of the Internal Control and Audit (IC&A) Department. His departure from each role was met with a sense of loss, and his arrival at new posts was always celebrated, a testament to his impact. Now in his role as the Delta State Commissioner for Economic Planning, the stage is set for Ekedayen to exhibit his trademark proactive approach. His congenial nature and reputation for quick thinking position him as a dependable ally, primed to hit the ground running. Ekedayen’s ability to seamlessly transition between sectors and functions underscores his capacity as a well-rounded individual. As he continues to serve in his new role, Delta State can anticipate a future guided by his strategic economic insights and steadfast commitment to progress.

Delta Guber: Supreme Court upholds Oborevwori’s victory

No court sacked Gov Oborevwori -Delta Govt 

The Supreme Court on Friday, refused to nullify the election of Sheriff Oborevwori as the executive Governor of Delta State, as it dismisses Chief Ikie Aghwarianovwe’s appeal. The Apex court maintained that the appeal before it lacked merit and ordered an N6 million fine against the appellant. In a unanimous decision, the Apex court dismissed a pre-election case that challenged Oborevwori’s eligibility to contest the March 8 governorship election. Justice Emmanuel Agim said it found no reason to set aside decisions of the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal, which had earlier dismissed the case against Governor Oborevwori. The Asaba Division of the Federal High Court, challenged the nomination of Oborevwori as candidate of the PDP for the gubernatorial election, seeking his disqualification.  According to him, Oborevwori, who was formerly the Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, submitted false documents to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to aid his qualification. In his defense, Oborevwori, contended that the suit was statute-barred, stressing that documents the plaintiff relied upon to seek his disqualification, pertained to the 2019 general elections. Challenging the plaintiff’s locus standi to file the suit, the respondent also argued that documents submitted to INEC in 2018 could not be a basis for the disqualification of a candidate in 2023. However, the lower court, in its judgment, upheld all the preliminary objections and accordingly dismissed the suit.  Irked by the decision, the plaintiff headed to the Appeal Court for further legal exercise. The appellate court, in its decision delivered by Justice Peter Olabisi Ige, upheld the verdict of the trial court and resolved all the issues for determination, in favour of Governor Oborevwori.  The appellate court went ahead and ordered the appellant to pay a cost of N2 million to the PDP and Governor Oborevwori.  Not satisfied with the judgment of the appellate court, Chief Ikie filed an appeal before the Supreme Court.