Navy Arrests 8 Over Illegal Bunkering Activities

The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) BEECROFT patrol team has arrested eight persons in a wooden boat involved in illegal bunkering activities within the Lagos anchorage. The Commander NNS BEECROFT, Commodore Kolawole Oguntuga, said this during the handing over of the suspects to officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) at NNS BEECROFT, Apapa, Lagos State. Oguntuga, who was represented by his Deputy, Capt. Christian Akokota, said that the feat was made possible on October 25, using the Maritime Domain Awareness Facility, the Falcone Eye Alignment. The commander said that the wooden boat, laden with eight-member crew, over 300 drums, pumping machines and other equipment was prevented from getting to its destination to perpetrate illegal bunkering. He gave the names of the suspects as: Selafei Tito, Seba Hunton, Etieni Abibu, Ahousansou Lawlent, Oke Job, Abel Yede, Matiye Husa and Husa Hungha. “This illegal activity would have robbed the nation of huge quantity of products for consumption by Nigerians. “The timely interception by the patrol team is also commendable, as it prevents disaster associated with illegal handling of these inflammable petroleum products by unscrupulous people,” the commander said. Oguntuga said that the proactive response further reveals Nigerian Navy’s unwavering commitment under the leadership of the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Emmanurl Ogalla. He said that the Navy would remain committed to safeguarding vital resources as well as the effective safety of live and property, particularly within the maritime domain. “We remain resolute at effective ocean governance by ensuring the full weight of the law is meted on perpetrators of maritime crimes, which is necessary to sustain economic prosperity of the nation. “The arrested persons will be properly interrogated to expose their motives and the identities of likely sponsors in the course of the investigation prior to prosecution,” Oguntuga said.
NDLEA Seizes $4.8m, CFA57m Fake Currencies On Lokoja-Abuja Highway

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has seized 4.9 million dollars and 57 million CFA suspected to be counterfeits on the Abuja-Lokoja Highway. The CFA, backed by the French treasury, is the legal tender in Francophone West and Central Africa and accepted in 14 countries. The Director, Media and Advocacy at the NDLEA, Mr Femi Babafemi stated on Sunday in Abuja that the suspected counterfeit notes were seized from a commercial bus travelling from Lagos to Kano. “A search of the bus led to the seizure of the 4.8 million dollars and 57 million CFA suspected to be counterfeits,’’ he stated. Babafemi also celebrated the jailing of an acting district head in Sokoto, Alhaji Umar Mohammed (aka Dan Bala) for five-and-a-half years for dealing in drugs. A Federal High Court in Sokoto presided over by Justice Ahmad Mahmud sentenced the acting district head after the NDLEA preferred a four-count charge of drug dealing against him in October 2022. The NDLEA told the court that Mohammed was in possession of and dealing in 436.38kg of Indian hemp and 7kg of other psychotropic drugs. The court sentenced Mohammed to two years on each of the first two counts with an option of N1 million fine, and eight months on each of the third and fourth counts without an option of fine. On Oct. 11, NDLEA operatives stormed Orue Forest in Owan West Local Government Area of Edo where they arrested one Happy Akashili (37) and Solomon Uwesue (40) in a hut located inside an Indian hemp farm. Babafemi stated that the farm measured 2.4 hectares and was destroyed, adding that 92kg already processed skunk were also recovered there. He added that 49kg of skunk was also seized at Ogbeturu camp in the area. The NDLEA spokesman stated also that the agency had been advancing its advocacy on drug supply reduction with the War against Drug Abuse (WADA) in campaigns in schools, markets, worship centres and communities. Babafemi added that one of the flagship programmes of the advocacy was the WADA sensitisation lecture on drug use and mental Health for students of 15 secondary schools at the University of Ibadan. The sensitisation lecture was also delivered in schools in Badagry, Lagos State; in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State; in Awka; in Gombe; in Benue, Zamfara and in Kano.
Gunmen Strike Again, Kidnap Nasarawa Varsity Students

Gunmen suspected to be bandits have struck once again, this time targeting students of Nasarawa State University, Keffi (NSUK). At least four students have been abducted in an incident that unfolded outside the school campus in the Angwan Kare area of Keffi on Monday night. This alarming incident comes hot on the heels of another kidnapping that occurred just a day earlier. On Sunday night, Professor Haruna Ayuba Kuje, the former Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics) of NSUK, was abducted. The four students who have been taken captive are identified as Rahila Hanya (SLT), Josephine Gershon (Computer Science), Rosemary Samuel (Business Administration), and Goodness Samuel from the Geography Department. It has been revealed that all of them are 100-level students. Comrade Solomon Timmy, the head of the Student Union Government (SUG), confirmed this harrowing incident to the media on Tuesday, urging everyone to remain calm as efforts are underway to secure the safe release of the abducted students. Additionally, Comrade Riwonga Lucky Ali, the SUG Secretary-General, issued a statement assuring students that measures are being taken to ensure the victims’ safe return. In a glimmer of hope amid these distressing events, there is news of the release of Professor Kuje. Samuel Alu, Chairman of NSUK Chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), has confirmed that Prof. Kuje was freed on Tuesday and has been reunited with his family. The former DVC’s kidnapping, which occurred at his private residence in Keffi on Sunday night, had sent shockwaves through the academic community. Authorities and security forces continue to work diligently to ensure the safe return of the abducted students and to bring those responsible to justice.
Vandals attack Jigawa water plant, steal items worth N20m

Suspected vandals have attacked the Birninkudu Water Treatment Plant in Birninkudu Local Government Area of Jigawa, beat up workers and stole items worth over N20 million. The Commissioner for Water Resources, Alhaji Ibrahim Garba, made this known when he inspected the facility on Friday. Garba, who expressed worry over the incident, said government will take drastic measures against those sabotaging its efforts to provide potable water to residents of the state. “This is very sad and unfortunate indeed. Items worth over N20 million were stolen by the vandals. “This is the first time this is happening since the creation of this water facility in Birninkudu in the last 50 years. “This is happening across the state as it happened in Kazaure where about 20 boreholes were destroyed, cables dug out and carted away, it also happened in Babura, Gumel and Dutse. So, it rampantly happening,” Garba lamented. He added that the rampant theft and destruction of water facilities across the state is causing hardship to the citizens in terms of access to potable water and causing set to government efforts to provide water for all. The commissioner therefore, advised the general public to take full ownership of all facilities and other critical infrastructure provided by government facilities in their respective communities and report any suspicious movement around such facilities to the security agencies for prompt action. Also speaking, the Zonal Manager of the Jigawa Water Board, in charge of Birninkudu, Buji and Gwaram, Malam Yunusa Shuaibu, who was among those attacked by the suspected vandals, told newsman that the hoodlums attacked the facility at about midnight on Tuesday. “It was on Tuesday around midnight that a gang of people numbering about 10 carrying dangerous weapons attacked the facility where I the manager and two other staff were attacked. “They tied me up and hit me and other staff with stick, while one staff managed to escape. “They cut off cables and stole items worth over N20 million, in they ransacked the facility,” the official alleged. Shuaibu listed the items stolen by the suspected vandals as high lift cable (150mm×4core), DB cable (100mm×4core), two high lift rotor (75kv), three Kickstarters (100kv), four solar batteries (300arm) and computers. Others are stock cable (6mm flexible, 150mm×4core, 100mm×4core and 16mm×4core), two batteries (150arm 12vol), pump (30kv), seven impellers, overload spear parts, iron slab and five mobile phones. Also, commenting the Chairman of the Council, Alhaji Magaji Yusif, pointed out that the substantial number of residents of the area depend on the facility for their daily water need. Yusif said two third of the 200,000 residents of the local government could not get access to water due to the vandalism. He added that the facility, built in 1972, treats 400 cubic litre of water per hour. The chairman promised that the council will take proactive measures to forestall future occurence of the incidents. According to him, the council will also take immediate action to ensure that water supply continues, pending the general repair of the facility by the state government.
EFCC nabs six alleged internet fraudsters in Abuja

In a recent development, operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have taken into custody six individuals suspected of engaging in internet fraud activities. These arrests were carried out within the Bwari and Dutse areas of Abuja. According to Wilson Uwujaren, the EFCC’s spokesperson, these suspects were apprehended on Monday based on intelligence gathered about their purported involvement in cybercrime-related endeavors. The arrested individuals have been identified as Odey Paul (25), Greg Odey (23), Julius Okpanachi (21), Ugbede Opaluwa (25), Okpanachi Emmanuel (25), and Mohammed Abba (26). From the possessions of the suspects, law enforcement authorities managed to recover two Toyota Camry vehicles, one Mercedes Benz C300 car, a total of twelve mobile phones, and three laptops. As the investigation unfolds and progresses, the EFCC spokesperson, Uwujaren, conveyed that the suspects will be presented before the court to face legal proceedings. The aim is to ensure that justice is served once the investigation is thoroughly concluded.
Police arrest man with fresh human corpse in Ogun

The Police Command in Ogun said one Babatunde Kolawole, allegedly found with a fresh male human corpse, was arrested and handed over to its personnel at Ado/Odo-Ota area of the state. SP Omolola Odutola, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Ota, Ogun, said the suspect was apprehended by Amotekun Corps. According to her, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Sango-Ota, CSP Saleh Dahiru, received a report by Amotekun and took the suspect, Kolawole, into custody. “Preliminary investigations have commenced into the incident. “Although the suspect did not deny the incident, he claims to be a native doctor who was attempting to revive the deceased. “However, it remains unclear how the suspect obtained the fresh corpse during the late hours of the night,” she said. The PPRO said that so far, no one had come forward to claim the body, and the suspect had not revealed any information about the origin of the corpse, to enable police to gather more information and solve the case. She added that the corpse had been transported to the Ifo General Hospital for an autopsy. Odutola enjoined members of the community to provide any useful information related to the incident to the police. She also said that the community members could assist the police in their investigation by helping to shed more light on the disturbing occurrence.
NDLEA intercepts fake $20m on Lokoja-Abuja Highway

A ‘Stop-and-Search’ operation by operatives of the NDLEA on the Lokoja-Abaji (FCT) Highway has yielded 20 million counterfeit dollars. Spokesman of the NDLEA stated on Sunday in Abuja that the fake currencies were recovered from a bus travelling from Lagos and heading to Abuja. He stated that the 53-year-old driver of the vehicle, Onyebuchi Nlededin, was arrested. Babafemi stated also that one Jude Ndubuisi (52) was arrested in a raid on Aug. 17 while in possession of 2.2kg of methamphetamine at Kabusa village, FCT. He added that the suspect was earlier arrested on July 7, 2022 for being in possession of 20.75kg of Indian hemp and that he was on court bail when he was nabbed for yet another drug crime. “Another raid on two notorious drug joints in the FCT – “Dei-Dei’’ and Tora-Bora Hills, led to the recovery of 82.8kg skunk, 1.8kg Rohypnol and 1.2kg diazepam on Wednesday, Aug. 16. “In Osun, NDLEA operatives destroyed clusters of Indian hemp plantations measuring about 3.5 hectares (more than 7.5 tons) at Mopatedo in Ifedayo Local Government Area of the state on Saturday, Aug. 19 “Two suspects – Sunday Otogbo (40), and Peter Makra (35), were arrested inside the Indian hemp farms. “An additional 30kg of Indian hemp and 16.9kg of Indian hemp seeds were also recovered from the farms,’’ he stated. Babafemi added that three other suspects – Ndubuisi Okorie (44), Ebilima Emmanuel (38), and Okechukwu Smart (40), were arrested on Aug. 19 in connection with 168kg of Indian hemp seized from them. The suspects were arrested when their vehicle was intercepted on the Owerri-Onitsha Expressway, he stated. “A shipment of 6,000 capsules of tramadol, 1,200 tablets of `swinol’, 155 bottles of codeine syrup and 20 tablets s of Molly was equally seized on the same road on Sunday Aug. 13. “A follow-up operation at Oyigbo area of Port Harcourt, led to the arrest of the owner of the consignment, Remigius Ogechukwu (33),’’ Babafemi added. He stated also that a teenager, Boniface Odinakachukwu (19), was arrested with 99.4kg skunk at Isikwe Road, Achi in Oji-River Local Government Area of Enugu State on Friday, Aug. 18. The NDLEA spokesman added that a wanted 19-year-old bandit, Aliyu Mohammed Altine, was arrested by NDLEA operatives on Illela-Sokoto Road with some wraps of skunk on Thursday, Aug. 17. Altine was on the wanted list of the police and has since been handed over to the police in Sokoto State for further investigation, Babafemi stated.
JTF hands suspected oil thieves over to NSCDC

The Joint Task Force (JTF), Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) of the Nigeria Army, has handed 12 suspected oil thieves over to the Delta Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) for prosecution. At the ceremony on Saturday in Asaba, the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 63 Brigade, Nigeria Army, Maj. Yahaya Kabara, said the suspects were apprehended on July 7, 2023, off the coast of Escravos. Kabara said the suspects were arrested along with the vessel MV TURA II by troops of Sector 1 OPDS, operatives of TANTITA Security Services while conveying illegally acquired crude oil off the Escravos. According to him, the Army is handing over the suspects to the NSCDC to enable the command commence formal prosecution of the suspects in accordance with the law. “The Joint Task Force, South South Operation Delta Safe (JTF SS OPDS), enjoined the general public to continue to go about their legitimate businesses with the assurance of adequate security “For those who decide to do it illegally, the JTF SS OPDS will stop at nothing to see to their total destruction,” Kabara said.