Deadly Communal Clashes Erupt in Osun Leaves 8 Dead, Homes In Ruins

Deadly Communal Clashes Erupt in Osun Leaves 8 Dead, Homes In Ruins

In a tragic turn of events, communal clashes between the residents of Ilobu and Ifon communities in Osun State have left about eight people dead, with several houses razed to the ground. The violence erupted on Thursday, leading to a significant loss of life, destruction of property, and a wave of fear and panic among the affected residents. The conflict escalated to a point where even security operatives found it challenging to access the embattled communities, and they remained stationed at the entrances. Sadly, some of those who lost their lives during the clashes were struck by stray bullets fired by the security forces deployed to quell the unrest. Chief Leke Ogunsola, the Otun-Jagun of Ilobu, speaking on behalf of the Ilobu community, revealed that four lives, including that of an innocent baby, were lost on their side during the crisis. Meanwhile, Prince Jide Akinyooye, representing the Ifon community, disclosed that numerous houses were set ablaze during the violent attack on their town. The root cause of the conflict was traced back to a land dispute exacerbated by a gazette that ceded portions of land belonging to Ifon to Ilobu during the tenure of former Governor Rauf Aregbesola. Tensions simmered, and despite efforts to avoid retaliation, the situation escalated to a dangerous level. In response to the dire situation, Governor Ademola Adeleke swiftly intervened, issuing a directive that prohibited residents of both communities from accessing the disputed land. He emphasized that anyone found on the contested territory would be arrested and prosecuted. The state government has assumed control over the disputed land, and the Governor has urged community leaders to come together to seek a peaceful resolution. The crisis has forced numerous residents of Ilobu and Ifon to flee their homes in fear for their safety. The situation has also prompted the evacuation of corps members serving in the affected areas by the state government. Security personnel, including soldiers, DSS operatives, and police officers, have been deployed to the entrances of the two communities to maintain order. The violence reached such a level that a new police patrol van was burnt by the warring factions, and several police officers were injured in the line of duty. The situation is particularly challenging, as the conflicting parties have accused the police of taking sides in the dispute. To curb further escalation, the Osun State government declared a curfew in the two affected local government areas of Irepodun and Orolu. This measure aims to restore peace, protect lives, and prevent further bloodshed as authorities work to find a lasting solution to the underlying issues fueling the conflict.  

15,000 missing persons recorded in North East –Red Cross

15,000 missing persons recorded in North East –Red Cross

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), says it has registered 15,000 persons as missing by relatives as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in the North-East. Ms Lilian Dube, Family Links Team Lead, ICRC in Maiduguri, stated this at an event to commemorate the 2023 International Day of the Disappeared, on Wednesday in Maiduguri. She said the figure could be higher but the number of those who registered with the organisation stood at 15,000, adding that most of them hailed from Borno. Dube said that 900 of the missing persons had been reunited with thier families through the ICRC. Mr Serge Zogg, Head Sub-Delegation, ICRC, who interacted with families of some of the missing persons at Ngarannam Ward of Maiduguri, assured of the organisation’s sustained support towards finding the missing persons. “This event is for you, and it is a testament to your strength and resilience as you navigate through the challenges brought by absence of your loved ones. “Please know that the ICRC stands with you in solidarity as you commemorate your missing family members. “The ICRC is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of persons affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence, and to provide them with assistance,” Zogg said. He lauded the Borno government for its support and cooperation to the organisation. Also, the District Head of Ngarannam, Lawan Shettima, lauded the ICRC’s restoration of family links and psychosocial support to families of missing persons programmes. Shettima said the interventions by the ICRC impacted positively to the lives of the affected families in the area. Highlights of the event included sharing of testimonies by some members of the affected families.