We’re Closely Monitoring Egina Spill Situation -NIMASA

We're Closely Monitoring Egina Spill Situation -NIMASA

The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has said it is closely monitoring the crude oil spill incident which took place during loading operations in Egina on 15th November 2023 at about 6:30am. The Assistant Director, Public Relations, NIMASA, Osagie Edwards, in a statement said the Agency is working closely with the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) and Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) from the Crisis Management Room CMR, where the spill is being monitored real time using oil spill monitoring software from the Emergency Response Centre. NIMASA explained that though the volume of the spill is not yet confirmed, Total Energies is providing aerial surveillance, dispersant application, while further mobilization is being considered.  “The Oil Spill Response Limited from the United Kingdom is also assisting with pollution control measures. Reconnaissance survey of the impacted area confirms that the shoreline communities of Andoni, Qua-Iboe terminals, Bonny Island, Opobo/Nkoro and Eastern Obolo, which are closest to Egina, are not yet affected,” the Agency said.  NIMASA Director General of NIMASA, Dr Bashir Jamoh, noted that the Agency is in collaboration with all stakeholders to control the pollution and also put in place measures to prevent such occurrences in the future, in line with provisions of the MARPOL Convention. “Since the incident happened, our men have been liaising with other organs of Government to ensure the pollution is effectively controlled and managed, to protect the marine environment and the communities close to the incident point. Accidents do happen, it’s what we do thereafter that matters and I believe that the IOC Total, working with NIMASA, NUPRC, NOSDRA and collaborating with international service providers, will surely ensure proper management of the spill,” he said.

Kano Guber Judgement Saga: Appeal Court Cites Clerical Error

Kano Guber Judgement Saga: Appeal Court Cites Clerical Error

The Chief Registrar of the Court of Appeal, Mr Umar Mohammed Bangari has cleared air on the controversies surrounding the judgment delivered by the Court on Kano gubernatorial election dispute. Bangari in reaction to the controversies said that what happened in the judgment body was a clerical error that did not in anyway invalidate or change the findings and conclusion of the court. The Chief Registrar assured that the clerical error would be rectified once parties in the matter file formal application to that effect. He drew the attention of newsmen to Order 23 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Handbook which empowers the court to correct any clerical error once detected by the court or any of the parties in the matter. He however insisted that contrary to insinuations, the judgment of the court remains valid. “What happened in the part of the judgment is just a mere clerical error that ought not to draw any issue. The Court is empowered to correct such clerical error and would be done as appropriate. There had been misgivings and a series of interpretations into the judgment which upheld the judgment of Kano State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal that invalidated the election of Kabir Yusuf of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) as winner of the March 18 gubernatorial poll.