Police Undermining Court Order- ASCSN President

By Vivian Michael, Abuja The President of the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria, (ASCSN) Comrade Bola-Audu Innocent, Wednesday, accused the Nigerian Police of subtly undermining the recent judgment of the National Industrial Court sitting in Abuja, which reinstated him as the authentic President of the Association. The Court presided by Justice Oyewumi Oyebiola, had on July 9, 2024, voided the purported suspension of Bola-Audu, and subsequently ordered his return as President of ASCSN till when his tenure will be completed. In the judgment delivered virtually, Justice Oyebiola, held that the suspension of Bola-Audu by the Central Working Committee of the ASCSN and his subsequent expulsion by the National Working Committee was “unlawful, illegal, null and void and of no effect whatsoever”. However, since Comrade Bola-Audu Innocent got the certified true copy of the court order, all concerted effort to assume duty as President, had been resisted by few members of the Association, believed to be loyal to one Etim Okon, who acted as President while the matter was in court. Bola-Audu’s allegation followed a directive from the Police for him to vacate the office on Wednesday. Addressing the press at the premises of ASCSN, Bola-Audu expressed dismay at the way the police is handling the issue. Explaining that the judgement of the industrial court was declaratory in nature, the ASCSN President said, rather than uphold the order of court, the police are being complicit in the matter. “Regrettably, those responsible for my ordeal have refused to respect the court’s judgment, seeking to frustrate its implemenration. I have drawn the attention of relevant law enforcement agencies to this matter to no avail. “Ironically, the Police, who should be providing protection, are now hindering my resumption of office. I am aware of plots to frustrate the court’s judgment and I therefore call on the Inspector General of Police to withdraw his men from our office as requested by our members. Nevertheless, “We were invited by the FCT Commissioner of Police last Sunday for a meeting. Luckily, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, (Simon Lough), who is a police officer was present as an arbiter. “He read the judgment for all of us, we were about 40 or more in the office of the Commissioner of Police. “After reading, the judgment, he told the cabal who has been resisting me from assuming my office that what they were doing is wrong. “He told them that the judgement of the National Industrial Court, cannot be compared with the judgment of an ordinary court; and that it is a special court set aside by government to treat issues of labour, Lough explained. The SAN, in the presence of the Commissioner of Police told them that even if they claimed that they have appealed, they needed the leave of the court to be able to do so. According to Bola-Audu, after the meeting, the Commissioner of Police said he was going to get across to them in two days. “Uptill today, we have not heard from him. The tenure of this administration is going to end on Monday, the 29th. So, it is a deliberate effort. “We have been at the Force headquarters and complained, we have gone everywhere we feel we could get justice in peace, and it’s not coming. “What right has the police to come and seal my office and would not allow me to assume the office as President of the Association, when a court of competent jurisdiction has said so. “Are they interpreting the judgment of the court differently, the ASCSN President queried. “They are to maintain law and order. Rather than do that, you came and locked up my office. Did you see anybody fighting, you locked up my office and then you are telling us cock and bull story” Bola-Audu fumed. Meanwhile, a senior police officer (name withheld) told members of the Association who were in the office premises to vacate, claiming they were there to maintain law and order. The officer said both parties should maintain status quo and stop parading themselves as President because their matter “is on the table”. Reacting to that position, members of the Association, chanting solidarity songs said they rather die there than vacate the office. END.

Minimum wage: I’ll approve what Nigeria can afford — Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu says he will approve a new minimum wage that the Nigerian government can afford.  He stated this on Wednesday at a dinner with the Senate President and Deputy Senate President, among other top government officials to mark Nigeria’s 25 years of unbroken Democracy in Abuja. The President, while appreciating those who stood by him over the years, promised Nigerians he won’t depart from the tenets of democratic governance.   “I have to celebrate with you my dear brother, Senate President, Deputy Senate President,” he said. According to Tinubu, Senate President Godswill Akpabio and his deputy, Jibrin Barau would soon get an Executive Bill from him on the new minimum wage. “The minimum wage is going to be what Nigerians can afford, what you can afford and what I can afford. Cut your coat according to your size, if you have size at all,” he said.

Zamfara Government Bans Political Officers, Civil Servants From Granting Radio, TV Interviews

The government of Zamfara State has implemented a ban on political office holders and agency heads, prohibiting them from engaging in interviews, issuing statements, or broadcasting programs on radio, television, or social media without prior authorization.  Media organizations within the state are also cautioned against airing any programs without approval from the Ministry of Information.  The Commissioner of Information, Mannir Haidara, emphasized the ministry’s dedication to overseeing compliance with these regulations, ensuring accurate dissemination of government policies and information through radio stations. The statement reads: “The Zamfara state government has observed with dismay the attitudes of some individuals, political groups and heads of MDAs towards conducting radio, television stations and social media platforms interviews and programmes on state government’s policies and programmes without following the right channels”. “In an effort to checkmate the unwanted behaviour, the Zamfara state Ministry of Information and Culture hereby announce that henceforth no political office holder, group or head of any agencies is allowed to conduct any interview, issue statement or air a programme on radio, television stations or social media without seeking a permission from the authority”. “Moreover, the Ministry of Information and Culture is hereby calling on the media organisations based in the state to desist from conducting or airing any radio or television programmes on government’s policies for any individuals or group of people without the approval of the supervising Ministry or the Ministry of Information“. “The information ministry is highly committed to observing and monitoring the radio stations for compliance and ensuring that all Information passed to the general public on government and its policies are true and properly disseminated”.

FG Issues Warning To Civil Servants Leaking Official Documents

The Federal Government, through the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, has taken a firm stance against the increasing leakage of sensitive official documents.  Dr Folashade Yemi-Esan emphasized the need for permanent secretaries to expedite the transition to a digital workflow system to mitigate the embarrassment caused by these leaks. A stern warning was issued, stating that any civil servant caught leaking documents would face severe consequences in accordance with relevant regulations.  The memo tagged HCSF/3065/VI/189 reads, “It has been observed with dismay, the increase in the cases of leakage of sensitive official documents in Ministries, Departments and Agencies. This is very embarrassing to the government and therefore unacceptable. “As part of the efforts to curb this undesirable development, all permanent secretaries are to fast-track the migration to the digitalised workflow system, and ensure effective deployment of the Enterprise Content Management Solution, “This will reduce physical contact with official documents thereby checking the increasing incidence of leakage and circulation of same. “Furthermore, permanent secretaries are advised to strongly warn all staff against leaking and circulating official information and documents. “Any officer caught engaging in such unbecoming act will be severely dealt with in line with the relevant provisions of the Public Service Rules and other extant circulars.” This move comes in response to recent public outrage over leaked memos disclosing financial allocations and plans by government committees, prompting calls for investigations by Civil Society Organisations and organized labour.

Gov Makinde Pays Welfare Packages To Civil Servants, Pensioners

Gov Makinde Pays Welfare Packages To Civil Servants, Pensioners

Civil servants and pensioners in Oyo State have commenced celebrations as the disbursement of the long-awaited welfare package pledged by Governor Seyi Makinde is now underway. The announcement was made via the official Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) handle on Friday, November 10. Governor Makinde’s commitment to the welfare of the state’s workforce was underscored with the approval of N15,000 for each pensioner and N25,000 for every civil servant on the state’s payroll.  The payments, slated to continue for six months starting in October 2023, aim to alleviate the economic challenges faced by residents. Assuring labour union leaders, Governor Makinde expressed his dedication to finding sustainable solutions for workers within the stipulated six-month period. The governor emphasized that his administration remains steadfast in prioritizing the welfare of employees while addressing the broader needs of the people of Oyo State.  The positive response to the initiation of payments echoes the optimism of a brighter future for the state’s workforce.

IPPIS: Be Verified By Friday Or Face Deletion, FG Warns Civil Servants

IPPIS: Be Verified By Friday Or Face Deletion, FG Warns Civil Servants

The Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Dr Folasade Yemi-Esan has warned civil servants that have not been verified that they risk being delisted from the government payroll. The government has given Friday, October 27 2023 as the deadline for all civil servants to be verified. Yemi-Esan said the development is a result of the two-week Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) verification exercise which will end on Friday. The move is part of an effort to remove ghost workers from the government payroll. In a statement signed by Yemi-Esan on Wednesday “Adequate arrangements were put in place for a smooth exercise in designated areas of the FCT, however, the officers’ impatience and lack of orderliness in the first two days made the exercise rowdy. “This has been duly addressed and the two-week exercise, scheduled to end on Friday, October 27, 2023, is progressing very well. “The verification of records of all civil servants will be finalized at the end of the ongoing exercise and any officer whose record could not be verified will be delisted from the payroll of government”. Speaking further, she noted that the Office carried out aggressive sensitization and publicity, adding that no excuses will be tolerated for defaulters. According to the statement, “Sequel to another wide publicity accompanied by numerous pre-verification sensitization visits by IPPIS staff to Ministries, extra-ministerial Departments, and Agencies nationwide, the second phase of the exercise, the physical verification, commenced in 2018. “In this regard, 500 staff from the OHCSF were trained and deployed, in well-communicated and coordinated phases, to the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT between 2018 and 2019 to enable officers to carry out the physical verification in their states and save them from travelling to Abuja. “Some erring officers’ pleas to be given the last opportunity to comply were granted, and the portal was therefore reopened from October 3-13, 2023, for them to update their records to Friday, October 27, 2023, before action is taken on defaulters.”

Technical glitch delaying June salary, OAGF tells civil servants

Technical glitch delaying June salary, OAGF tells civil servants

The Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (OAGF) has said that delay in the payment of June salaries to some civil servants is due to some technical glitches.   Director of Press, OAGF, Mr Bawa Mokwa, who made this known Wednesday in Abuja said, the delay was caused by technical challenges with the Government Integrated Financial Management System (GIFMIS), one of the salary platforms. Mokwa, however, said the office is making efforts to resolve the challenge. “As we speak, the Directors and the consultant in charge of the platforms are in a crucial meeting, working round the clock to resolve the problem. “Anytime from now, the salaries will start dropping,” he explained. Many civil servants have not been paid their June salaries, making some unable to enjoy the recent Eid-el-Kabir celebrations.