Terrorists Kill 14, Injure 17 In Fresh Katsina Attack

In a disturbing incident, terrorists struck the peaceful community of Rugar Kusa in Musawa Local Government, Katsina State, resulting in the tragic loss of 14 lives and leaving 17 others injured. The attack, which extended for over an hour, occurred late Sunday night, with the assailants arriving at the village around 11:00 p.m. The unsuspecting community was in the final stages of a Maulud celebration, a customary observance held by followers of Kadiriyya, Tijjaniya, and Shi’ites to mark the birth date of Prophet Muhammad. Tragically, the festivities were disrupted when the terrorists, armed with guns, unleashed indiscriminate gunfire upon the gathering. A community member, speaking anonymously due to safety concerns, described the terrifying events. “Several people had retired for the night when the gunmen’s assault jolted even those in deep slumber. Some of the assailants encircled the procession, while others penetrated deeper into the community to perpetrate more violence. Many individuals, including those attending the Maulud procession, sought refuge in the nearby bush,” the witness explained. The aftermath of the attack revealed a grim scene, with 14 confirmed casualties, but concerns lingered regarding the fate of those who might have been abducted or remain unaccounted for. In the wake of the incident, a number of individuals with gunshot wounds were transported to the Ahmadi Rimi Orthopaedic and Special Hospital in Katsina for medical attention. The Katsina Police Command reported a slightly lower casualty count, stating that nine individuals lost their lives, while 16 others sustained injuries. According to Abubakar Sadik, the command’s spokesperson, seven people were initially killed during the attack, with two more succumbing to their injuries while receiving medical care. The North-western states of Katsina, Kaduna, Sokoto, Zamfara, and Kebbi have been grappling with a series of terrorist activities, underlining the pressing need for enhanced security and counter-terrorism measures in the region.
Tragedy As Two Children Die In Niger Boat Mishap

Two children have been confirmed dead while two others sustained various degrees of injuries in a boat mishap that occurred in Katcha Local Government Area of Niger. The Overseeing Director-General of Niger Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) /, Alhaji Salihu Garba, disclosed this in Minna on Saturday. He said the incident occurred on Friday at about 6pm when the boat engine caught fire due to a mechanical failure and inflamed a gallon of petrol stored inside the boat. He said that 145 passengers were in the boat, adding that they were from Danbo community in Kogi. Garba disclosed that the passengers were on their way back from Katcha Market when the incident occurred. He said that the body of one of the deceased children had been recovered while the search for that of the second missing child was still ongoing.
Israeli-Hamas Conflict: UN Decries Civilians Casualties After School Attack

The head of the UN Palestine refugee agency (UNRWA) Philippe Lazzarini has expressed concern for the safety of civilians as UNRWA school was attached The UN envoy said at least six people were killed when an UNRWA school being used as a shelter, was hit in the al-Maghazi camp in the middle region of the embattled Gaza Strip on Monday. “Dozens were injured (including UNRWA staff) and severe structural damage was caused to the school. “The numbers are likely to be higher. This is outrageous, and it again shows a flagrant disregard for the lives of civilians,” he said in a statement No place is safe in Gaza anymore, he warned, stressing that it was hit as Israeli airstrikes and bombardment continues. “At least 4,000 people have taken refuge in this UNRWA school turned shelter. They had and still have nowhere else to go.” He said that the agency has provided the coordinates of its facilities to “relevant parties” on a daily basis. The UN human rights office (OHCHR) issued a fresh alert on Tuesday for civilians left in northern Gaza, amid ongoing military operations in the enclave ahead of an anticipated full-scale Israeli response to Hamas’s October 7 attack. The past 10 days of conflict have claimed the lives of 4,200 people, forced more than one million individuals to flee their homes following an order from the Israeli authorities and left large areas in the Gaza Strip “reduced to rubble”, according to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). Meanwhile, the Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Joyce Msuya, on Monday, briefed Member States on the Gaza crisis, and said the situation “can only be described as an utter catastrophe.” She added that as every hour passes, the restoration of essential supplies and services, “becomes every more critical.” She said the UN would continue to identify urgent solutions for getting aid into Gaza. UN Secretary- General Antonio Guterres will travel to the Egyptian capital Cairo on Thursday, according to his Spokesperson, Stephane Dujarric to engage with President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi on the Gaza crisis. In southern Gaza where a humanitarian emergency is already playing out, UN relief agencies reiterated their call for a secure and reliable humanitarian corridor to deliver stockpiled aid into the Occupied Territory. Both Egypt and Israel have faced multiple calls from the UN and international community to protect non-combatants impacted by the war. “We call for unimpeded access, safe passage for desperately needed humanitarian supplies to Gaza,” Ms Abeer Etefa, UN World Food Programme (WFP) Regional Communications Lead for the Middle East and North Africa, said. Some 300 tonnes of food “are either at or on the way to the Egyptian border in Rafah,” Etefa said. “That’s enough to feed around a quarter million people for one week.” According to OHCHR, “a large number” of women and children are among the dead in Gaza, as well as at least 11 Palestinian journalists, 28 medical staff and 14 UN colleagues. “It remains unclear how many more bodies may be buried in the rubble – with many families missing loved ones, terrified about their uncertain fate,” Ravina Shamdasani, OHCHR Spokesperson said. Echoing urgent warnings from the UN agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA about the desperate situation in Gaza amid heavy Israeli bombardments, from the air, sea and land, humanitarians echoed deep concern that healthcare facilities had been targeted – raising concerns about medical care for the injured, including pregnant women and those with chronic health issues. Additionally, civilians attempting to relocate to southern Gaza have been struck and killed by explosive weapons, demanding urgent and independent investigation, OHCHR says. The world body has called for an immediate humanitarian pause to facilitate aid delivery and prevent further suffering. “Strict compliance with the laws of war and the protection of civilians is essential to prevent further loss of life in this dire crisis,” Shamdasani said.
Tragic Road Accident Involves FG Civil Servants En Route IPPIS Registration

A group of 20 federal civil servants, who were en route from Maiduguri, Borno State, to Abuja for a mandatory verification exercise related to the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) registration, were involved in a tragic road accident in Gombe on Tuesday. While the specific details of the accident remain unclear as of the time of this report, it was confirmed that one person lost their life in this unfortunate incident. The accident took place during their journey from Maiduguri to the nation’s capital. The Nigerian Government recently issued a directive requiring all civil servants and employees from core ministries to participate in the ongoing IPPIS registration to ensure the accurate capture of their details. This directive impacted approximately 17,000 federal civil servants from various regions of the country who had to travel to Abuja for registration. A surviving civil servant, deeply distressed by the situation, shared, “Tragically, one of our colleagues lost their life on the way from Maiduguri to Abuja for the mandatory IPPIS registration. The accident occurred in Gombe. This is a truly heartbreaking situation, and I will provide further updates as we receive more information.” The affected civil servants have been grappling with delayed salary payments, adding to their concerns and challenges during this registration process.
3 Die As OPC, Amotekun Clash In Oyo

A violent clash which erupted in Iwerele, Iwajowa Local Government Area of Oyo State, involving multiple groups including the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), Amotekun, Operation Burst, Soludero, and a group of herdsmen, has resulted in three dead and many casualties. The cause of the conflict remains unknown. Confirming the clash, a prominent titled Chief in the community revealed that the turmoil began when a group of herdsmen invaded a local farm with their cattle, leading to a dispute that tragically claimed the life of the farm’s owner. Responding to the escalating situation, combined security forces consisting of Operation Burst, OPC, Amotekun, and Soludero were called in to restore peace to the area. Reports suggest that these security operatives were ambushed by the herdsmen during their intervention efforts. The exact number of casualties resulting from this conflict is yet to be determined, as the situation continues to develop.
Fatal Collision: 3 Die in Lagos Bus-Truck Accident

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) on Sunday said three persons died instantly in an auto crash involving a commercial bus and a truck. A statement by the agency’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, on Saturday, said the incident happened at Gbagada, by Charlie Boy Busstop. “Following a distress call received at 22:01hrs through the agency’s toll-free lines, LASEMA activated the Lagos State Emergency Response Plans with an arrival time of 22:17hrs. “Upon arrival of the agency’s LRT at the scene, it was observed that a white commercial bus lost control and crashed into a moving truck. “The 18-passenger commercial bus, with registration number JJJ-844YA and loaded to capacity, was heading to Ajah from Oshodi. “It lost control while on motion, rammed into a moving truck from behind and three people died instantly. “Two males and one female, all adults immediately lost their lives to the incident, while others sustained various degrees and categories of injuries,” he said. He added that out of the seven people injured, three were promptly administered pre-hospital care and ferried to Gbagada General Hospital for further treatment by the agency’s paramedics. “The three commodities have been bagged awaiting arrival of the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit, (SEHMU), to convey them to the morgue. “Light Tow Truck has been deployed to recover the affected vehicle from the busy road to forestall secondary incidents. “The LASEMA Response Team, LASEMA Pre-Hospital Care Team, Nigeria Police and Lagos Fire and Rescue Services were all present at the incident,” he said.
Death Toll Of Palestinians In Gaza Rises To Over 1,200

The death toll of Palestinians in Gaza has tragically climbed to over 1,200 as Israeli airstrikes continue to devastate the region. According to the Gaza Health Ministry, approximately 5,800 people have also sustained injuries. This escalating violence marks the sixth day of intense conflict between Israel and Hamas, the ruling militant group in Gaza. In their efforts, Israel has relentlessly targeted the densely populated and economically disadvantaged Palestinian coastal enclave, further exacerbating the humanitarian crisis. Vital supplies, including food, fuel, and medicines, are severely restricted from entering Gaza, leading to grave concerns about the welfare of innocent civilians. Additionally, Israeli officials report that 1,200 Israelis have lost their lives since the onset of Hamas’ violent attacks on communities and an electronic music festival near the Gaza Strip over the weekend. Among the casualties, 189 Israeli soldiers have tragically perished in the ongoing conflict.
8 die, 7 Injured In Delta Auto Crash- FRSC

No fewer than eight people were burnt beyond recognition on Sunday on the Ologbo Bridge, Benin/Sapele Expressway in Delta. The FRSC Spokesman, Mr Bisi Kazeem confirmed this in a statement in Abuja, stated that the fatal crash which occurred on October 1 at about 1pm, also had seven people injured. Kazeem said that the dual crash involved 15 different categories of vehicles stating the affected vehicles as 1 Toyota Hiace Bus, 2 FORD Buses, 1 Volkswagen Passat passat, 2 J5 Peugeot buses, 1 Daylong Motorcycle and 8 Tankers. “From the report gotten from the FRSC rescue team, a total of 15 people all male adults were involved. “Out of this number, seven people got injured, while eight victims were burnt beyond recognition. “The truck ladened with Petroleum Motor Spirit (PMS), coming from Warri, Delta State fell on the highway and spilled the PMS product on the road. “This, hereby led to an explosion that gutted the aforementioned number of vehicles and the 15 male victims, “he said. Kazeem quoted the FRSC Corps Marshal, Dauda Biu as calling on fleet operators, especially owners of tankers conveying inflammable products to ensure compliance with minimum safety standards by installing safety valves (Anti spill) in their vehicles. This, he said, is to eradicate all incidences of mishap resulting from lack of safety valves in tankers. Biu also called on owners and operators of tankers to comply with all safety standards set by the government on operation of that category of vehicle on Nigerian road. He directed Commanding Officers to ensure that tankers that do not meet safety standards were not allowed to ply the highways.
Tragedy As Illegal Fuel Depot Explosion Claims 34 Lives in Benin Republic

At least 34 individuals lost their lives in a devastating explosion at an illicit fuel depot near the Nigeria-Benin Republic border. Interior Minister Alassane Seidou conveyed this grim news during a press briefing. The incident unfolded in the town of Seme Podji, where a catastrophic fire erupted due to contraband fuel storage. Among the victims were two infants, their bodies tragically charred by the intense blaze. Additionally, Minister Seidou disclosed that 20 individuals sustained injuries and were currently receiving medical treatment, with some in critical condition. Fuel smuggling is a prevalent issue in the region, particularly along the borders with Nigeria. This illicit activity has been exacerbated by the Nigerian government’s previous fuel price subsidy, which incentivized smuggling due to lower petrol costs. The tragedy serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with illegal fuel depots and the urgent need for measures to combat such activities and enhance safety along border regions.
Gunmen Kill 10 Persons, Injure One In Plateau

Tragedy struck the peaceful community of Kulben in the Gindiri District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau, as a group of gunmen unleashed a horrifying attack. The assailants, in a senseless act of violence, claimed the lives of ten innocent individuals while leaving one person critically injured. The harrowing incident unfolded on a fateful Sunday night, forever altering the lives of the community’s residents. Mr. Jerry Datim, a distressed member of the community, recounted the terrifying events that transpired. “Last night, at about 8:40 p.m., some gunmen attacked Kulben community, killed 10 persons and injured one,” he painfully shared. The attackers descended upon the village, their bullets tearing through the tranquility of the night as they fired indiscriminately. Panic swept through the community as people scrambled for safety, but tragically, some were unable to escape the hail of bullets, their lifeless bodies discovered later. In the midst of the chaos, the community did what they could to alert the security forces to the unfolding tragedy. “We alerted the security personnel, but before they got there, the attackers had moved from the community,” Mr. Datim revealed. The swift and ruthless nature of the assault left little time for intervention. Despite the urgency of the situation, attempts to reach out to the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Alfred Alabo, for an official statement were met with unavailability. However, an unnamed senior police officer confirmed that the law enforcement agencies had launched a comprehensive manhunt to track down and bring the attackers to justice. Axccording to him, the full force of the law would be employed to ensure that those responsible for this heinous act faced the consequences of their actions.