JUST IN: Three dead as another building collapses in Lagos

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma At least three site workers have been reported dead following the collapse of a building at Arowojobe Estate in Maryland, Lagos State, early Thursday morning. The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) confirmed the incident through Permanent Secretary Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu in a statement to NAN. The building collapse occurred at No. 13 Wilson Mba Street, Arowojobe Estate, Maryland. Dr. Oke-Osanyintolu stated that the deceased were male site workers who were recovered from the scene. “The agency received a distress call regarding a collapsed building at the above address at about 3.49 a.m. “This prompted the immediate activation of the agency’s response team to the scene of the incident at 3.58 a.m. “It was discovered that a set of three terraces under construction had collapsed Search and rescue operations began immediately and three adult males were recovered dead, two male adults were rescued alive and one adult male trapped under the rubble was rescued,” he said. He added that the rescued ones were carried out through the efforts of LASEMA and the Lagos State Fire Service. “All the six men were site workers. “They are receiving pre hospital care on location while the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit has been contacted for the remains of the three fatalities. “A combined team of agency personnel, fire service and Nigeria Police are working at the scene. “LASEMA’s excavator has been deployed to accelerate the search and rescue operations,” he said.
Many trapped as Abuja building collapses

A section of a two-storey residential apartment collapsed in Abuja on Saturday morning, with several people trapped in the rubble. According to Vanguard, the building located beside the popular Cupid Hotel on Cupid Road (Sultan Dasuki Way) in Kubwa was formerly a hotel, Al-Hilal. It later became a hospital, but since the hospital owners quit the premises, it became a residential apartment. While emergency responders and security personnel were on ground, rescue efforts were hampered as the cranes needed for the rescue were yet to arrive as of 8:45 am, nearly two hours after the incident. Two persons had, however, been rushed to a nearby hospital, while a few others escaped on their own. One of the escapees who did not want to reveal her identity said that when she woke up around 7 a.m. and came out of the house, she began hearing some cracks and then ran out
BREAKING: Many feared dead as two-storey building collapses in Anambra market

A building has collapsed at Eke Amawbia Market in Awka, Anambra State, leaving many feared dead. The tragic incident happened at about 12 noon on Thursday, causing panic in the area. Eyewitnesses report that a two-storey shop building suddenly crumbled, burying numerous vegetable traders beneath the debris. As of press time, DAILY POST learnt that one person has been rescued and rushed to Amawbia Maternity Home for urgent medical attention, but many more are believed to be trapped inside the wreckage. A large contingent of police officers has arrived at the scene to coordinate rescue efforts and maintain order. Traders, who witnessed the collapse, blamed the disaster on substandard engineering work, alleging that the building’s structural integrity had been compromised. The rescue operation is ongoing, with emergency responders working tirelessly to search for survivors amid the rubble The atmosphere at the market is tense, with onlookers anxiously waiting for news of loved ones feared trapped in the building. The incident has sent shockwaves throughout the community, with many calling for an investigation into the cause of the collapse. Authorities have yet to comment on the incident, but promised to release a statement soon. As the rescue efforts continue, the death toll remains uncertain, but fears are mounting that the tragedy may have claimed multiple lives. The Amawbia Market, a bustling commercial hub, has been plunged into mourning, with traders and residents struggling to come to terms with the devastating loss. The incident has raised questions about the safety of buildings in the area, sparking concerns about potential risks to occupants.
Tragedy As Building Collapse Kills One In Lagos

A tragic incident unfolded early on Thursday morning as a two-storey building situated at number 34 Oloto Street, Borno Way, off Freeman Street, Oyingbo, in Lagos collapsed, claiming the life of an elderly woman reported to be in her 80s. The unidentified woman gave up the ghost immediately the structure collapsed on her around 7:45 am on Thursday. Following the distress call, responders and concerned citizens swiftly gathered at the scene to provide assistance and address the situation. Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyitolu, the Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority (LASEMA), confirmed the fatality, noting no additional injuries in the tragic incident. “LASEMA received distress calls at approximately 8:30am, and our response team arrived promptly at 8:42 am,” Oke-Osanyitolu said. “Upon arrival, we discovered a partial collapse of a storey building, caused by the collapse of an internal suspended beam within a room due to the structure’s aging and lack of maintenance.” “Regrettably, an elderly woman lost her life due to the partial collapse,” he added. As of the latest update at 10 am, a joint search and rescue operation is underway at the scene, which has been cordoned off for safety measures. Emergency response units, including the LASEMA Response Team, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, paramedics, and the Lagos Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS), are actively engaged to ensure safety and maintain order. “The affected area has been cordoned off, and we have alerted LABCA (Lagos State Building Control Agency) for further necessary actions,” Oke-Osanyitolu emphasized.
Tragedy as 4 siblings die in Enugu building collapse

The Enugu Capital Territory Development Agency (ECTDA) has confirmed four children of the same family killed in a building collapse in the Agric Quarters in the Mgbemena axis of Coal Camp in Enugu. The Chairman of ECTDA, Mr Uche Anya, made the confirmation to journalists on Saturday after inspecting the site of the collapsed building. Anya noted that the bungalow building located at the Agric Quarters in Coal Camp area collapsed on Friday night around 8pm after a downpour. He said the structure was approved for animal husbandry but was converted for residential. While lamenting that the collapsed building was not healthy for human residence, the ECTDA chairman revealed that the structure had 44 rooms with about 200 residents. “As soon as we got the intelligence, we rushed to the place. Four children died in the episode. “It was danger waiting to happen. The construction was irresponsible. “The place should never have been occupied by human beings. In fact, go there and see. “Apparently, they claim that they are doing animal husbandry and poultry there but it turned out that there are 44 rooms that human beings are occupying and there must have a population of over 200 people there. “The fence line was totally unacceptable, nobody does that, and unfortunately, the people we lost in that tragedy are innocent children and it is very painful,” Anya added. The chairman said that the agency would continue to sensitise the public on the need to live a more conducive environment to avoid future occurrence of the unfortunate incident. According to him, the compliance unit of the agency under his leadership would ensure that structures erected by landlords and contractors adhere strictly to the approval plan. The ECTDA also gave immediate quit notice to residents of the building and four other buildings close to the scene of the incident.