NSCDC reaffirms commitment to protecting oil facilities despite attack of personnel

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Bayelsa Command, has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting critical national infrastructure in spite of the recent unfortunate incident. Bayelsa Commandant of the NSCDC, Eweka Douglas, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday. Douglas said oil thieves had recently attacked its officers, who were working in collaboration with Tantita Security Services, which resulted in the gruesome killing of one of its men. He, however, noted that the incident would not dampen the morale of its officers and men. He said that the Corps remained resolute in its determination to clamp down on vandals and oil thieves operating in the state. Douglas said the operation took place near Igbomotoru community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of thestate. He said the attack led to the death of an NSCDC officer after the patrol team was attacked by suspected oil thieves. According to him, the incident occurred at about 2:30 p.m. on April 10, as the joint team was returning from an anti-vandal operation. “The officers were ambushed, and a gun battle ensued, resulting in the unfortunate death of one NSCDC personnel. “The NSCDC will not be deterred by attacks from vandals intent on sabotaging government efforts to eradicate illegal bunkering in the Niger Delta,” he said. He added that the NSCDC high command commended the bravery and resilience of the patrol team and disclosed that a manhunt had been launched to apprehend the perpetrators and bring them to justice. Meanwhile, the remains of the fallen officer, Victor Ibang, have been deposited in the morgue. The Corps expressed condolences to his family and assured them that all necessary burial rites and benefits would be duly accorded to the late officer.

Bayelsa Election: PDP Leads Early Results As INEC Suspends Collation Till 12pm Monday

Bayelsa Election: PDP Leads Early Results As INEC Resumes Collation 12pm Monday

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) adjourned the collation of results for the Bayelsa State Governorship Election until Monday noon. As of Sunday night, results from six out of eight local government areas, including Kolokuma/Opokuma, Ogbia, Yenegoa, Sagbama, Nembe, and Ekeremor, have been collated, leaving Brass and Southern Ijaw pending. Prof Faruq Kuta, the Vice Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Minna, and the state Returning Officer, adjourned the exercise for further review on Monday.  Sixteen political parties participated in the Bayelsa election, where Governor Duoye Diri of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is in a contest against Timipre Sylva, the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate and former Bayelsa governor. Meanwhile, in Imo State, INEC has declared Governor Hope Uzodimma of the APC as the winner, defeating Samuel Anyanwu of the PDP and Nneji Achonu of the Labour Party (LP), along with 15 other opponents. Uzodimma secured 540,308 votes, outpacing Anyanwu with 71,503 votes and Achonu with 64,081 votes. Stay tuned for the final Bayelsa results and updates on the gubernatorial polls held in Imo and Kogi states. Bayelsa Results So Far: Sagbama LGA APC – 6608 LP – 217 PDP – 35504 Kolokuma/Opokuma LGA APC – 5349 LP – 22 PDP – 18465 Ogbia LGA APC – 16319 LP – 57 PDP – 18435 Yenegoa LGA APC – 14534 LP – 244 PDP – 37777 Nembe LGA APC – 22248 LP – 113 PDP – 4556 Ekeremor LGA APC – 8445 LP – 50 PDP – 23172  

Bayelsa Teachers Threaten Indefinite Strike Over N30,000 Minimum Wage

Bayelsa Guber Poll: Diri Sets For Victory, Wins Southern Ijaw LGA

The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) has threatened to commence indefinite strike in public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa over the N30,000 minimum wage and promotion arrears. The union took the decision at an executive meeting on October 12, after an earlier three-day warning strike failed to compel the Bayelsa Government to act. The teachers had given a 14-day ultimatum to the government and local councils to address the plight of teachers across the state or face industrial action.  The grievances, according to the NUT, include inability of both state and local governments to implement the N30,000 minimum wage and effect promotion of primary school teachers in the state.    The union said teachers were meted with untold hardships due to the non payment of promotion arrears to the teachers. NUT expressed dissatisfaction with government’s continuous negligence of the plight of teachers who played critical role in the state, in spite of engaging them at different fora in futility. The union said the attitude of government had brought nothing but humiliation and frustration to primary and secondary school teachers in the state.   It said the 14-day ultimatum took effect from, October 13 after failure to address the issues within the limit of the ultimatum would force teachers in the state to go on strike. The strike notice was ratified by the constituent eight local government branches of NUT in Bayelsa.  Signatories to the communique after the meeting included chairmen of LG branches of the union. Meanwhile, Dr Gentle Emelah, Bayelsa Commissioner for Education, declined comments when contacted as he did not respond to telephone calls and messages requesting for government’s clarification. Schools in Bayelsa had vacated on August 29 due to expected flood and are slated to resume on November 13.