Edo Deputy Governor’s security strengthened as gunmen attack convoy of Okpebholo, Shaibu

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma On Thursday in Benin, gunmen attacked the convoy of APC governorship candidate Sen. Monday Okpebholo and the reinstated deputy governor Philip Shaibu, resulting in the death of one security officer. The attack took place on Airport Road as Okpebholo and his team arrived from Abuja on a chartered flight. A police officer was killed and three others sustained injuries. Okpebholo’s condition remains unclear, though he is reported to be hospitalized in an undisclosed location in Benin City. This incident follows a Federal High Court ruling in Abuja on Wednesday that overturned Shaibu’s impeachment by the state House of Assembly. The Assembly has since appealed the ruling. The gunmen, stationed at the airport exit gate, opened fire on the convoy, leading to a retaliatory response from the security personnel protecting Okpebholo and Shaibu. The attack prompted businesses and offices in the vicinity to close quickly, and many motorists abandoned their vehicles and sought safety. SP Chidi Nwabuzor, spokesperson for the Edo police command, confirmed that the incident is currently under investigation. “It is premature for the police to confirm at this time until the investigation is concluded,” he said. Meanwhile, a check showed that security had been strengthened at the premises of the state Deputy Governor, Godwins Omobayo located at Osadebey Avenue, near the airport, in Benin to forestall any attack on him. In a statement on Thursday, Edo government alleged that it had observed the level of wanton destruction perpetrated by thugs working in connivance with the former deputy governor. Chris Nehikhare, the commissioner for communication and orientation, alleged that Mr Shaibu-led thugs have unleashed mayhem on innocent citizens in the guise of enforcing the judgement reinstating him to office. “We want to reiterate that Shaibu will face the consequences of violence that he has resorted to in pursuit of his aim to return to the Government House even when he is aware that a stay of execution of the judgement has been filed,” he said. The commissioner enjoined the general public to be calm and go about their lawful businesses as government restored peace to the ancient city. However, efforts to get the reaction of Shaibu proved abortive. But a statement by Godswill Inegbe, an aide to Okpebholo said his principal was attacked by the gunmen. “During the unprovoked attack, three mobile policemen attached to the security detail of Sen. Okpebholo were injured with bullet wounds, while one of the policemen has been feared dead,” Inegbe said. According to him, Okpebholo is at this moment admitted in an undisclosed hospital in Benin for medical attention with other members of the entourage.
Another attack, Boko Haram, sets IDP Camp, Many Houses On Fire

Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have razed down at least 25 newly constructed buildings meant for returnees in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State. Amid the heat of insurgency, Dikwa residents fled their homes and took cover as Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs). However, days after abducting IDPs who went into the forest to fetch firewood, insurgents stormed a remote village in Gajibo, shooting sporadically and burning more than 25 newly built houses. According to Daily Trust, Modu Kundiri who was on his to Maiduguri from Gomboru, they were asked by the troops to wait for about 3 hours at Logomani village. “The soldiers informed us that we had to wait for about 3 hours from 11:am -2 pm before we were allowed to leave Logomani. “I saw and counted more than 25 newly constructed houses at Gajibo village in Dkiwa LGA was on fire,” Modu said. A resident of Dikwa town, Sheriff Lawan, confirmed the news to our correspondent via phone. He added that they equally planted many improvise explosive devices (IEDs) in the ongoing construction site to truncate the rebuilding and resettlement processes of the state government. “The soldiers told us that the insurgents planted many IEDs at the construction site and they discovered some bombs already.”Sherrif said. Gajibo town is a some of 110 kilometers away from Maiduguri, the state capital.
ISWAP Attack Police Headquarters In Borno

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed the killing of four policemen by Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists on Friday in Gajiram, headquarters of Nganzai local government area of Borno State. Confirming the incident to our journalists on Saturday in Maiduguri, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Nahun Daso, said the bodies of the slain police officers have been recovered. Similarly, sources, according to Zagazola Makama, a Counter-Insurgency Expert and Security Analyst in the Lake Chad region, revealed that the terrorists disguised themselves and sneaked into the town at about 11 am on Friday and went straight to the police quarters in Gajiram town and opened fire, killing the four policemen. Makama added, “Sources said mobile policemen at the police quarters engaged the terrorists in a heavy gun battle, which prevented them from burning down the quarters. “It was learnt that when the troops of ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ Joint Taskforce stormed the scene, the terrorists had fled.” Gajiram is located about 73 kilometers from Maiduguri, the restive capital of Borno State.
Hoodlums Attack UNILAG Bus During Convocation

The management of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Lagos State, has announced that unidentified miscreants vandalized the school bus. The varsity noted that the hoodlums, during the attack, stole gowns intended for its graduates for the 54th convocation ceremony scheduled to hold on Tuesday (today). Graduates have been mandated to pay N15,000 to obtain the convocation gowns. However, amid preparations, reports emerged that some graduates who made the payment received a notification from the university administration stating that the distribution of the gowns had been halted due to the vandalism committed by the unknown criminals. “We regret to inform you that the distribution of SPGS academic gowns is now suspended. Sadly, the remaining gowns were stolen, and our bus vandalised this afternoon,” the university’s email to one of the graduates read. Confirming the development, a lawyer who identified himself as Malachy Odo, said he had received the identical notification from the school through text messages subsequent to his payment of the fee designated for the gown collection. “I paid 15k for convocation gown yesterday and this is what UNILAG just sent me. This country is not a real place,” he noted.
Recent Attack On Joe Ajaero Violates His Human Rights- NASU

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) has strongly condemned the recent attack on Mr. Joe Ajaero, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC). The union’s reaction to the incident was conveyed through a statement signed by its General Secretary, Mr. Peters Adeyemi, in Abuja on Sunday. Ajaero fell victim to the attack in Imo State on November 1 when he traveled to the Southeastern state to declare a mass protest against alleged anti-labour practices. The Witness had reported that Ajaero was subsequently detained by the police, although the police claimed that they took him into custody to protect him from further attacks by hoodlums. Adeyemi firmly asserted that the attack on the union leader amounted to “a violation of trade union rights as well as the human rights of Ajaero.” He emphasized that the rights exercised by Ajaero in Owerri, as the leader of Nigeria’s working people, are guaranteed by the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution (as amended) and International Labour Organization (ILO) Conventions. “Nigeria, as an ILO member-state, has ratified ILO Conventions on Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organize, 1948 (No.87), and the Right to Organize and Collective Bargaining, 1949 (No.98),” Adeyemi said, pointing out that the Imo government has been involved in unfair labour practices, as it has failed to pay salaries and pensions, making it unjustifiable to attack workers’ union leaders who inquire about the non-payment of these dues. He noted that Ajaero was on a solidarity visit to the workers in Imo and should not have been subjected to treatment “common in Nigeria only during military regimes.” NASU further rejected the claims that Ajaero was held under “protective custody” for his own benefit and called on President Bola Tinubu to initiate a thorough investigation into the incident. The union concluded by saying that it firmly believes that such incidents should not deter the exercise of fundamental human rights, including those related to labour and trade union activities.
Again, Rampaging Armed Bandits Kill 3, Abduct Others In Benue

Once again, a group of armed assailants, suspected to be Fulani herdsmen, has carried out a violent attack in Benue State, resulting in the tragic loss of three lives and the abduction of several others. The incident occurred as innocent victims were en route from Makurdi, the capital of Benue State, to Otukpo, the headquarters of Benue Zone C senatorial district. The attack took place in Tyolaha, a village situated within the Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State. According to Agbo Daniel Adakole, a youth leader who provided insight into the incident to NIGERIAN ANCHOR, the attackers were heavily armed and indiscriminately fired their weapons, resulting in the loss of three lives and numerous injuries. Additionally, there are reports of individuals still missing. Adakole further disclosed that the perpetrators of this heinous act were armed Fulani herders. The victims primarily consisted of local residents who were traveling on the Benue Links Bus service along the Makurdi-Naka-Otukpo route. At the time of filing this report, it remains unconfirmed whether the incident has been reported to the Benue State command of the Nigerian Police or if any law enforcement agencies have been alerted for assistance. These armed bandits have been a persistent threat, targeting and harming both farmers and travelers in the border areas between the Idoma and Tiv-speaking regions of Benue State. Notably, just two weeks ago, on October 2nd, a gruesome armed attack occurred in the village of Agagbe, close to Tse-Awuna in Gwer LGA, resulting in the loss of three lives.
Gunmen Kill 7 Imo JTF Operatives, Set 2 Patrol Vans Ablaze

Unidentified gunmen, on Tuesday, killed at least seven Joint Task Force (JTF) operatives in an ambush at Umualumaku settlement in Ehime Mbano Local Government Area of Imo. The incident occurred at about midday, when the operatives arrived at the spot and getting set to mount a checkpoint. The deceased operatives comprised personnel from the Nigeria Army, Police and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps. An eyewitness account said that the assailants also set the two patrol vans belonging to the task force ablaze, together with the remains of the operatives. “I heard gunshots for some minutes but didn’t know what was actually happening. “Another driver told us that soldiers and policemen were killed and burnt in two Hilux Vans just a few meters ahead of us,” a commuter bus operator said. He further said on the condition of anonymity that motorists, who were plying the route, immediately began to make U-turn and diverted to other roads. The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, ASP Henry Okoye, confirmed the incident but pleaded for time to get the full details of the gruesome murder.
Vandals attack Jigawa water plant, steal items worth N20m

Suspected vandals have attacked the Birninkudu Water Treatment Plant in Birninkudu Local Government Area of Jigawa, beat up workers and stole items worth over N20 million. The Commissioner for Water Resources, Alhaji Ibrahim Garba, made this known when he inspected the facility on Friday. Garba, who expressed worry over the incident, said government will take drastic measures against those sabotaging its efforts to provide potable water to residents of the state. “This is very sad and unfortunate indeed. Items worth over N20 million were stolen by the vandals. “This is the first time this is happening since the creation of this water facility in Birninkudu in the last 50 years. “This is happening across the state as it happened in Kazaure where about 20 boreholes were destroyed, cables dug out and carted away, it also happened in Babura, Gumel and Dutse. So, it rampantly happening,” Garba lamented. He added that the rampant theft and destruction of water facilities across the state is causing hardship to the citizens in terms of access to potable water and causing set to government efforts to provide water for all. The commissioner therefore, advised the general public to take full ownership of all facilities and other critical infrastructure provided by government facilities in their respective communities and report any suspicious movement around such facilities to the security agencies for prompt action. Also speaking, the Zonal Manager of the Jigawa Water Board, in charge of Birninkudu, Buji and Gwaram, Malam Yunusa Shuaibu, who was among those attacked by the suspected vandals, told newsman that the hoodlums attacked the facility at about midnight on Tuesday. “It was on Tuesday around midnight that a gang of people numbering about 10 carrying dangerous weapons attacked the facility where I the manager and two other staff were attacked. “They tied me up and hit me and other staff with stick, while one staff managed to escape. “They cut off cables and stole items worth over N20 million, in they ransacked the facility,” the official alleged. Shuaibu listed the items stolen by the suspected vandals as high lift cable (150mm×4core), DB cable (100mm×4core), two high lift rotor (75kv), three Kickstarters (100kv), four solar batteries (300arm) and computers. Others are stock cable (6mm flexible, 150mm×4core, 100mm×4core and 16mm×4core), two batteries (150arm 12vol), pump (30kv), seven impellers, overload spear parts, iron slab and five mobile phones. Also, commenting the Chairman of the Council, Alhaji Magaji Yusif, pointed out that the substantial number of residents of the area depend on the facility for their daily water need. Yusif said two third of the 200,000 residents of the local government could not get access to water due to the vandalism. He added that the facility, built in 1972, treats 400 cubic litre of water per hour. The chairman promised that the council will take proactive measures to forestall future occurence of the incidents. According to him, the council will also take immediate action to ensure that water supply continues, pending the general repair of the facility by the state government.