Human Trafficking: NAPTIP Raises Alarm Over Baby-Selling in Akwa Ibom, rescue 68 victims

NAPTIP rescued 68 victims and arrested 62 suspected human traffickers in Akwa Ibom State in 2025, raising alarms over a rising trend of baby-selling and calling for stronger government and community support to combat human trafficking.
Vote Buying: EFCC Intercepts N11.04m, Arrests 14 Suspected In Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi

Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 14 suspected vote buyers in Otueke, Adawari playgrounds in Bayelsa and at various polling units in Imo and Kogi. EFCC Spokesperson Dele Oyewale said this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja. According to him, the suspects were arrested on Saturday in intelligence-driven operations that commenced several days before the ongoing governorship elections in the three states. “Also, a total sum of N11,040,000, comprising N9,310,00 intercepted from suspected vote buyers and sellers in Bayelsa, and N1,730,000 intercepted from electoral fraud suspects across Imo State, were recovered from them. “Also, two vehicles were intercepted from the suspects. They will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded,” he said. The commission had earlier deployed its personnel to monitor the Saturday’s governorship elections in the three states. Oyewale had said in a statement on Friday in Abuja, that the aim of the deployment was to prevent politicians and their agents from engaging in vote buying during the elections. He explained that the exercise was part of the commission’s drive to checkmate electoral fraud and associated financial crimes.
Criminal Activities: Police Arrest 298 Suspects In Jigawa

The Police Command in Jigawa has arrested 298 suspects for alleged criminal activities in the third quarter of 2023. This is contained in a statement by the Spokesman of the Command, DSP Lawan Shiisu, on Wednesday in Dutse. He said the Police recovered 64 rustled animals, fire arms and rescued six kidnapped victims in special operations conducted within the period under review. Shiisu said the suspects were apprehended for alleged robbery; kidnapping, murder, rape, vandalism, animal rustling, fraud, among others. He listed the suspects to include 25 robbery; 12 kidnapping, 36 murder, 25 rape, 37 theft, 15 vandalism, 17 animal rustling and five over fraud, while 126 others arrested for allegedly belonging to gang of brigands. The Police, he said, recovered one AK-47 riffle; one Beretta pistol, three locally-made guns, 48 live ammunitions, 20 motor vehicles/cycles, and 64 rustled animals. Other items recovered include 560 parcels of Cannabis Sativa and a number of narcotic substances. “The crime prevention strategies adopted by Jigawa Police Command in the ongoing fight against all forms of crimes and criminalities in the state during the period under review, yielded dividends, as the state remained generally peaceful as residents go about their lawful businesses without fear of molestation. “This feat was made possible by the proactive measures put in place by the command, whose personnel worked tirelessly to checkmate the activities of criminals for a peaceful atmosphere,” he said. He commended the acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr Kayode Egbetokun, the Jigawa government and other security agencies for their support to the Command While reiterating commitment of the Command to protect lives and property, Shiisu urged residents of the state to support the Police in the fight against crimes.
LASG Arrests, To Arraign 30 Environmental Offenders

The Lagos State Government has arrested about 30 environmental offenders for improper disposal of wastes and disregard for the state’s environmental laws. They will be arraigned before a Magistrate’s Court on Monday. The environmental laws enforcement team comprises officers from the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), and Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGESC), also known as KAI. The offenders, who were apprehended in different locations, were said to be engaged in acts capable of defacing the environment and derailing efforts to entrench cleanliness in the metropolis. According to Mr Tokunbo Wahab, the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, the arrest and subsequent prosecution of people engaged in indiscriminate waste disposal shows that it is no longer business as usual. “The state government will not fold its hands and watch some elements derail efforts to maintain sanity in the city. “Today’s action will serve as a deterrent and warning to others. “The era of people hiding under the guise of darkness to dump waste at unauthorised locations is over; anyone caught will be prosecuted,” he told newsmen. He appealed to residents to acquire waste bins and regularly clean up their surroundings as government plans to commence full environmental checks on homes and business premises. The official reminded residents of their legal obligation towards a sustainable environment which included acquiring covered waste bins, shunning reckless waste disposal and mandatory patronage of assigned private operators. “It is imperative for every resident, householders and business owners alike, to be aware of their legal obligations regarding waste management. “Everyone must procure bins, engage with assigned private participants, refrain from indiscriminate waste disposal, maintain drains and clean the frontage of their establishments,” Wahab said LAWMA managing director Muyiwa Gbadegesin, on his part, urged households to imbibe the habit of sorting their wastes at source. “Such waste should be segregated into recyclables and non-recyclables and be disposed at designated waste bins recommended by LAWMA. “If we do this, it will reduce the menace of indiscriminate waste dumping that defaces the cityscape. “The responsibility for maintaining a clean environment is a collective one. It is not the sole duty of LAWMA or the state government. It is the duty of every individual, household and business owner in Lagos. “We are appealing to residents to avoid indiscriminate dumping of wastes in public spaces as it poses significant health and environmental hazards. Violators of environmental laws will face severe legal consequences,” Gbadegesin said.
Nigerian Navy Nabs Six Impostors In Lagos

The Nigerian Navy has arrested six persons posing as Nigerian Navy personnel to engage in fraudulent activities. The Commander, NNS BEECROFT, Commodore Kolawole Oguntuga stated at the weekend in Lagos, that the NNS BEECROFT’s patrol team arrested the suspects in a raid at Ajah area of Lagos State. “The raid resulted in the apprehension of impostors who carry out nefarious activities like extortion and intimidation of residents, among other despicable acts while claiming to be Navy personnel,’’ he stated. He added that two Toyota Hilux vehicles, fake Nigerian Navy identification cards and other related documents were seized from the impostors. “The impounded vehicles bearing the inscription `SAIL NAVY’, the suspects and other exhibits had been handed over to the appropriate agency for further investigation and prosecution,’’ Oguntuga stated. The commander urged citizens to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious activities to appropriate authorities as collective effort was crucial in safeguarding the public from potential and fraudulent activities. Oguntuga also stated that eight stowaways were arrested on board a vessel on Thursday during NNS BEECROFT’s routine patrol of the maritime environment. “NNS BEECROFT’s patrol team arrested the stowaways inside the vessel’s rudder compartment and handed them over to the appropriate authorities,’’ he added.
EFCC nabs six alleged internet fraudsters in Abuja

In a recent development, operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have taken into custody six individuals suspected of engaging in internet fraud activities. These arrests were carried out within the Bwari and Dutse areas of Abuja. According to Wilson Uwujaren, the EFCC’s spokesperson, these suspects were apprehended on Monday based on intelligence gathered about their purported involvement in cybercrime-related endeavors. The arrested individuals have been identified as Odey Paul (25), Greg Odey (23), Julius Okpanachi (21), Ugbede Opaluwa (25), Okpanachi Emmanuel (25), and Mohammed Abba (26). From the possessions of the suspects, law enforcement authorities managed to recover two Toyota Camry vehicles, one Mercedes Benz C300 car, a total of twelve mobile phones, and three laptops. As the investigation unfolds and progresses, the EFCC spokesperson, Uwujaren, conveyed that the suspects will be presented before the court to face legal proceedings. The aim is to ensure that justice is served once the investigation is thoroughly concluded.
Troops apprehend 17 suspects for alleged crimes in Plateau, Kaduna

Troops belonging to Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), a military task force entrusted with maintaining peace in Plateau, parts of Bauchi, and Kaduna States, have successfully apprehended 17 suspects on charges related to murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, and other criminal activities. In a statement provided by Captain James Oya, the Media Officer of the operation, it was revealed that these arrests took place between August 21 and August 28 across various locations within the region of their operational responsibility. “Troops arrested five suspects for killing one Mr. Joshua Deme on his farm in Kassa village, situated within Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau,” Captain Oya stated. He continued, “We also executed a meticulously planned operation in Jagindi Tasha village, located in Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna State, leading to the arrest of a long-sought suspected kidnapper, Mr. Baba Habu.” Further emphasizing the successful efforts, Captain Oya explained, “We effectively thwarted a kidnapping attempt in Angwan Takai village within Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau. This achievement was facilitated by the rapid response of our troops to a distress call.” Over the stated period, the troops achieved a series of milestones – apprehending suspects, rescuing kidnapped victims, foiling armed robbery endeavors, and preventing potential attacks on vulnerable communities. Arms and ammunition were also seized from some of the apprehended suspects. Captain Oya reported, “In parallel endeavors, our troops conducted operations at Gwash and Kamantan villages in Jos North and Zango Kataf local government areas of Plateau and Kaduna. Here, we succeeded in recovering firearms, including a pistol, cartridges, and rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition.” Amidst these operations, the security forces managed to detain a notorious armed robber, Mohammed Lawal, in Kafanchan town. The seizure of two fabricated rifles and one pistol accompanied his arrest. A truck transporting vandalized railway tracks was intercepted along Gidan Ado village in Riyom. The operations also extended to addressing drug-related offenses. “A drug kingpin, Maxwell Davou, was apprehended in a sting operation with substances suspected to be illicit drugs at Waye Foundation Du in Jos South,” Captain Oya stated. The troops’ determination led them to engage bandits around Alaghom and Mangu, eventually neutralizing some and retrieving weapons. The comprehensive efforts of the troops extended beyond criminal activities as they intervened to manage 237 cows that were damaging crops on farms across Mangu, Barkin Ladi, and Riyom local government areas.
EFCC cracks down on cyber fraud hideout, arrests 14 suspects in Benue

In a significant stride against cybercriminal activities, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has apprehended 14 individuals suspected of engaging in internet fraud in the city of Makurdi, located in Benue State. The spokesperson for the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, released a statement in Abuja detailing the operation. Among the detainees are Solomon Oloche, Innocent Ochola, Aselo Wisdom, Simon Jeff, Innocent Raphael, Akula Kelvin, Emmanuel Okanche, Francis Chikodirie, Atoo Michael, Ochayi Nelson, Ngutor Paul, Michael Tyobe, Samuel Okanche, and Patience Tseaa. The arrests were conducted following an extensive period of surveillance and intelligence gathering, aimed at uncovering the alleged criminal activities of the suspects. The confiscated items from the operation encompass a Toyota Camry Car, 14 iPhones, 11 Android phones, 6 laptop computers, various ATM cards, a flash drive, MTN Router, a Tus bike, and an assortment of potentially incriminating documents. Uwujaren noted, “The suspects have cooperated during the preliminary interrogations and will be subject to legal proceedings once the investigative phase concludes.” This breakthrough signifies a determined effort by the EFCC to tackle cyber-based offenses and ensure that justice is served.
Amotekun arrests suspected cultist, burglar in Osun

Osun State Amotekun Corps, said it has arrested a suspected cultist in Osogbo and another suspected burglar in Ila-Orangun, Ila Local Government Area of Osun. Brig.-Gen. Bashir Adewinmbi, the State Commander of the corps, made this known in a statement on Friday, adding that the two suspects were arrested on Thursday. “Sodiq Adelabu, 20, a native of Osogbo, was arrested in Osogbo for allegedly being a member of a secret cult, engaging in cult-related activities and theft. “The suspect admitted to being a member of the Eiye Confraternity when interrogated. “The second suspect, Sunday Oluwasegun, 22, a native of Ila-Orangun, was arrested for breaking into a house and stealing in Ila-Orangun Town. “He was reported to have stolen some money and some home appliances before he was later arrested.” Adewinmbi said both suspects were arrested after complaints were lodged against them and their activities by patriotic residents of the state. He, therefore, called on residents of the state to always report suspicious activities and criminal suspects living among them to security agents. He assured them that their identity would be kept secret, encouraging them to join in the fight against crime and criminality in the state. He stated that the arrested suspects had, however, been handed over to the police for further investigation and prosecution.