After Lagos assault, EFCC arrests 27 suspected internet Fraudsters

Antigraft: EFCC Secures 1,688 Convictions In 9 Months

Operatives of the Benin Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday June 26, 2024 arrested 27 suspected internet fraudsters at different locations within Benin City. The suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence on their suspected involvement in computer- related fraud. Items recovered from them include the sum of N590,000, nine exotic cars, laptops and phones The suspects will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded. This is coming after the operatives of the anti-graft agency assaulted a member of staff of Regional Hotel in Lagos in a night raid.

N5.6bn Scam: Former NIRSAL Boss, Abdulhameed Arrested After 5-Month Hunt

N5.6bn Scam: Former NIRSAL Boss, Abdulhameed Arrested After 5-Month Hunt

A former Managing Director of the Nigeria Incentive-Based Risk Sharing System for Agricultural Lending (NIRSAL), Aliyu Abdulhameed, has been arrested almost a year after he was sacked. NIGERIAN ANCHOR understands that NIRSAL is a $500m non-bank financial institution, which was created by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). It was created to manage agribusiness-related credit risks in Nigeria. Recall that Abdulhameed was relieved of his duties following allegations of corruption, including a 2018 N5.6 billion wheat project meant for farmers in Kano and Jigawa States. The Board of the CBN endorsed his sack, following approval from the Presidency in December last year. Daily Trust, in January last year, investigated how a multi-billion-naira loan guaranteed by NIRSAL for three investor companies for the cultivation of 20,000 hectares of dry season wheat in Kano and Jigawa States was allegedly diverted by the companies in connivance with NIRSAL officials. In the course of the investigation, the platform revealed that it visited the affected communities in the two states where farmers said they were deceived. Community leaders there said they were told the project was aimed at changing the lives of 20,000 smallholder farmers. They said after making farms available, affected farmers were promised fertiliser and other inputs for the wheat plantation, but never saw any of these thereafter. Both Abdulhameed and the three investor companies had denied wrongdoing. However, when the Special Investigator appointed by President Bola Tinubu and his support team to probe the activities of the apex bank and related entities swung into action in September this year, there was panic and apprehension within the top hierarchy of the CBN and the NIRSAL. The Special Investigator, Jim Obazee and his team, led by DCP Eloho, were said to have beamed their searchlight on the NIRSAL and the CBN’s Anchor Borrowers’ Programme which have, over the years, been at the centre of investigations. The ex-NIRSAL boss, who is said to be in the custody of the DSS, is being quizzed on multiple allegations of corruption during his tenure. A source at the NIRSAL revealed that the investigators put in place by President Bola Tinubu were also seeking answers based on findings contained in an investigation earlier conducted by a team from the CBN following a petition against the NIRSAL on alleged fraud, money laundering and criminal conspiracy. It was gathered that following the investigation, the Banking Supervision Department of the CBN wrote to the ex-NIRSAL boss seeking an explanation for “observed breaches of internal policies and procedures of the organisation, relevant regulations and laws, especially the Public Procurement Act 2007.” According to the platform, the query on the breaches was conveyed in a letter referenced: BSD/SPG/CON/NIR/13/083 titled: ‘On a spot check on the operation of NIRSAL conducted between August 27, 2020 and September 11, 2020.’

Police Bust Child-Stealing Syndicate In Enugu, Nab Suspect

Police Bust Child-Stealing Syndicate In Enugu, Nab Suspect

The Police Command in Enugu State has smashed a child-stealing syndicate and arrested a suspect at Igogoro village in Enugu-Ezike community of Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of the state. This is contained in a statement, issued by the Command’s Spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe at the weekend in Enugu. Ndukwe said that the syndicate was smashed on Oct. 27 at about 1.30 p.m. According to him, police operatives serving in the Igbo-Eze North Police Division, working with the Neighbourhood Watch Group, smashed a child stealing syndicate and arrested one Ifeanyi Omeke, 21, at Igogoro village in Enugu-Ezike community. “The suspect was nabbed after he sneaked into the complainant’s house in the community and attempted to steal a 15-month-old girl child. “The suspect confessed to the crime, as well as revealed that he was contracted by his cohorts at large to steal children for ritual and other criminal purposes,” the police spokesman said. He said that the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Kanayo Uzuegbu, had ordered the immediate transfer of the case to the state’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for a thorough investigation. “A thorough investigation would eventual lead to the arrest of other members of the criminal syndicate at large and their prosecution,” he added.

Navy Arrests 8 Over Illegal Bunkering Activities

Navy Arrests 8 Over Illegal Bunkering Activities

The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) BEECROFT patrol team has arrested eight persons in a wooden boat involved in illegal bunkering activities within the Lagos anchorage. The Commander NNS BEECROFT, Commodore Kolawole Oguntuga, said this during the handing over of the suspects to officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) at NNS BEECROFT, Apapa, Lagos State. Oguntuga, who was represented by his Deputy, Capt. Christian Akokota, said that the feat was made possible on October 25, using the Maritime Domain Awareness Facility, the Falcone Eye Alignment. The commander said that the wooden boat, laden with eight-member crew, over 300 drums, pumping machines and other equipment was prevented from getting to its destination to perpetrate illegal bunkering. He gave the names of the suspects as: Selafei Tito, Seba Hunton, Etieni Abibu, Ahousansou Lawlent, Oke Job, Abel Yede, Matiye Husa and Husa Hungha. “This illegal activity would have robbed the nation of huge quantity of products for consumption by Nigerians. “The timely interception by the patrol team is also commendable, as it prevents disaster associated with illegal handling of these inflammable petroleum products by unscrupulous people,” the commander said. Oguntuga said that the proactive response further reveals Nigerian Navy’s unwavering commitment under the leadership of the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Emmanurl Ogalla. He said that the Navy would remain committed to safeguarding vital resources as well as the effective safety of live and property, particularly within the maritime domain. “We remain resolute at effective ocean governance by ensuring the full weight of the law is meted on perpetrators of maritime crimes, which is necessary to sustain economic prosperity of the nation. “The arrested persons will be properly interrogated to expose their motives and the identities of likely sponsors in the course of the investigation prior to prosecution,” Oguntuga said.

Father Defiles 4-Year-Old Daughter In Abuja

Father Defiles 4-Year-Old Daughter In Abuja

Mrs Modupe Maduba, an Assistant Chief Intelligence Officer, told an FCT High Court in Kubwa that a 35-year-old man, Onyebuchi Ezema defiled his four-year-old daughter. The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), charged Ezema, who resides in Zone 9, Lugbe AirPort Road, Abuja with assault, to which he pleaded not guilty. Maduba of the NAPTIP said this while being cross examined by the defence counsel, Opeyemi Adeyemi at the resumed trial of Onyebuchi Ezema. During cross-examination, Adeyemi asked Maduba the time, date and place the defendant committed the said offence. He further asked if Maduba knew where the defendant’s wife kept the victim the day it happened and if it was possible an unknown person penetrated her vagina. The defence counsel also asked the investigator to describe where the defendant lived and if there was electricity on the day of the incident. In response, Maduba said the incident happened on April, 15, 2020 at Lugbe Zone 6, at night. “The defendant lives in a one-bedroom self contained apartment with his son whom he sleeps with in same room alongside his wife and daughter (the victim). “The defendant’s wife left her child with her cousin whom lives in the same village, while she went to work on the said date,” she said. The investigator added that she did not know if there was electricity on the day of the incident. Adeyemi asked if the investigator discovered any blood stain on the minor in the course of her investigation and if a finger print examination was carried out on the child to confirm if it was the defendant’s finger. The defence counsel asked the investigator to read out the medical report in court, if it stated that the defendant broke the victim’s hymen. Maduba responded that she did not see any blood stain on the victim, no finger print examination was carried out and the medical report did not state whom broke the victim’ s hymen. Adeyemi however applied for a no-case submission to the court. Following the defence counsel’s submission, Justice Asmau Akanbi-Yusuf adjourned the matter until Dec.13 for adoption of the no-case submission.

I Can’t Deny Or Confirm Arrest Of CBN Deputy Gov, Aisha Ahmad- DSS Spokesman

I can't deny or confirm Arrest Of CBN Deputy Gov, Aisha Ahmad- DSS Spokesman

The Department of State Services (DSS) has kept mum on the reported arrest of the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in charge of Financial System Stability, Aisha Ahmad. The media has been awash on Sunday with reports that the secret police apprehended Ahmad over her alleged involvement in the acquisition of shares in Polaris Bank, Titan Bank/Union Bank. It was gathered that the banker is being quizzed on how $300 million meant to complete the acquisition of Union Bank was raised by Titan Bank. Although the details of the arrest are still sketchy, the secret police and the apex bank have not reacted to the reports. According to reports on Channels Television on Sunday, when contacted, DSS spokesman, Peter Afunanya, said that he cannot confirm or deny that Ahmad is in their custody or has been invited for questioning. He stated that in the course of any investigation, people can be invited for questioning and those invitations are carried out within the ambit of the law. This is coming about two months after the secret service arrested Ahmad’s former boss at the CBN, Godwin Emefiele. He has been in the DSS custody since then. Emefiele, the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was first charged with possession of a firearm but was later charged with N6.9 billion fraud.

Police foil bandit attack on police station, Juma’at prayer in Zamfara

Shakeup In Police As IGP Reassigns 14 AIGs, 26 CPs

The police command in Zamfara said its operatives repelled bandits who attacked the Divisional Police Station in Zurmi Local Government Area of the state. The command said it also arrested a 35-year-old suspected female informant. The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Yazid Abubakar disclosed this at the weekend at a media briefing in Gusau. Abubakar said police operatives attached to the police station acted on credible intelligence that a group of armed bandits was planning to carry out the attack. “The police operatives mobilised, confronted the bandits, and engaged them in a gun battle which lasted for hours. “As a result of this, one of the bandits was neutralised while the others escaped to the bushes spilling blood on their paths because of the wounds they sustained. “Police investigation that followed the incident resulted in the arrest of a 35-year-old female suspected to be an informant from Rukudawa village. “The suspect confessed that she has been working with bandit kingpin Dankarami Gwaska as his informant and has given her the task of monitoring activities at the police stations for him. “Two handsets containing bandits’ telephone numbers were recovered from her,” Abubakar said. “On July 28 Police Tactical Operatives attached to 34 PMF, deployed to Magarya community in the same Zurmi local government area acted on an intelligence report that suspected armed men were on their way to attack Muslims during Juma’at prayers at Kwata village in Magarya district. “The police operatives confronted them and succeeded in foiling the attack and the bandits escaped to the bushes. “Two AK47 rifles, four rounds of 7.62mm ammunition and Bajaj motorcycle were recovered at the scene while the command is still pursuing the suspects with a view to arresting and prosecuting them. “On July 27 at about 1330hrs, Police Tactical Team attached to Area Command Gusau acted on intelligence that led to the arrest of two suspected bandits and kidnappers terrorizing the Saminaka area in Gusau Metropolis,” the command’s spokesman added. 

Man defiles 12-year-old girl in bush

Man Gets Life Jail For Defiling 4-Year-Old Girl Inside Lagos Church

The Lagos State Government has called for more mandated reporting in the case of alleged defilement of a 12-year-old girl in the Ikorodu area of the state by one Mr. Ife Adekoya. The Executive Secretary, Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA), Mrs Titilola Vivour-Adeniyi, who made this known in a statement in Lagos on Friday, said the agency swung into action on receipt of the report. “The case was immediately reported at the Imota Family Support Unit Police Station for investigation and was subsequently transferred to the Gender Desk Department of the Lagos State Police Command,” she said. Vivour-Adeniyi said that the mother of the survivor narrated that on June 16, her neighbor called her to inform her that her 12-year-old daughter had been defiled by a neighbor who lives on the next street. “The mother of the survivor claimed that she was informed the following day, having just returned from a trip with her husband. “The mother also alleged that a neighbor alerted her of the incident after engaging the survivor and noticing the suspicious act of the perpetrator, who was spotted with blood stains on his trousers. “Further questioning by the neighbor revealed that the alleged perpetrator lured the victim into the bush, closed her mouth, and proceeded to sexually assault her by penetration,” she said. She further said that the matter was charged to court and the perpetrator was arraigned before Magistrate Amope Layinka on July 26. “The suspect was arraigned and remanded at Kirikiri Maximum Prison, pending the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPPs) advice, and the matter adjourned to Sept. 19,” she said. She noted that all forms of abuse, neglect, domestic, and sexual violence were crimes against the state, and that perpetrators would be made to face the full wrath of the law. Vivour-Adeniyi called on residents of the state to break the culture of silence by reporting all forms of abuse through its toll free line 08000-333-333, or visit its office at Novel House, Plot 3, Jobi Fele Way, Alausa, Ikeja.

Sit-at-Home: Police nab 15 suspects over Ebonyi shooting

Sit-at-Home: Police nab 15 suspects over Ebonyi shooting

The Police in Ebonyi have announced the arrest of 15 persons suspected to be involved in the shooting by IPOB members on Tuesday at the new market and Ishieke axis of the state. The shooting was carried out as the suspects forced people to abide by the order issued by the Proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), stopping all residents from coming out of their homes for seven days, from July 3 to 10. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Faleye Olayele told reporters in Abakaliki that among the 15 suspects arrested from their hideouts, were two herbalists, Okwudili Otozi and Nnenna Ali. “They have attacked our area commander and burnt our vehicle. They have been terrorizing the state. On July 4, they came to Ishieke firing sporadically and that was on Tuesday. “I want to tell you that 15 of them have been apprehended, together with their herbalists. We recovered arms and charms of different kinds. Olayele said that the suspects were preparing for another attack on Friday when they were arrested by the police. “This shows that our officers are dedicated to their duties; the arrest was made possible by our men through the information we got,” he said and warned all criminal elements to steer clear of Ebonyi. However, one of the herbalists told newsmen that he was forced to join the gang. “I did not know that they wanted to operate in Ebonyi; they came to me and requested for medicine and I gave it to them, after which they forced me to join them to the bush for further preparations. “Please, I was forced to follow them after I gave them the medicine,” Otozi claimed. 

Police recover body of drowned UNIBEN student, arrest 2 friends

Police recover body of drowned UNIBEN student, arrest 2 friends

The Edo Police Command has arrested two students of the University of Benin over the death of their friend, Francis Anuide, who drowned in Ekosodin River, Benin, where the trio had gone swimming. The arrested students are Samson Kennedy, a 200-level student of Biochemistry, and Wilfred Emmanuel, a 500-level student of Optometry. The deceased was said to have been invited by the two friends for swimming in the river close to the Ugbowo campus of the University where he allegedly drowned. Confirming the arrest, the Public Relations Officer of the Police Command in Edo, SP Chidi Nwabuzor, said the duo were apprehended to assist the police in investigating the circumstances leading to the victim’s death. Nwabuzor explained that after the case was reported at the Ugbowo Police Station, Benin, the Divisional Police Officer and his men led a team of local divers to the scene of the incident. “Luckily, they were able to recover the body. The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigations. “Two persons were arrested because they went together to swim in that river when the ugly incident occurred. “Arresting them is very important so that we can know what made them leave their hostel and go to that river at that time and what happened right there in the river,” he said. Sources told newsmen that the two students were arrested as a result of the discovery of blood on the lips of the deceased and peeled skin around his neck region. These, the sources said, raised suspicion amongst the victim’s family members and relatives who are demanding an autopsy. “After the deceased got drowned, the duo ran back to the Ekosodin community to seek help from the community and vigilante members but the deceased died before help could come his way,” one of the sources said.