Army Debunks CDS Christopher Musa’s Death Rumours

Army Debunks CDS Christopher Musa’s Death Rumours

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has vehemently denied a report claiming the demise of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Christopher Musa.  In a statement released on Tuesday, DHQ clarified that General Musa is alive, in good health, and recently returned from an official assignment overseas. Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, Director of Defence Information, emphasized that the report alleging the death of the CDS is entirely unfounded and lacks credibility.  He further highlighted that the platform responsible for the initial publication has retracted the story and extended apologies to General Musa, his family, and the Nigerian Armed Forces. “The attention of the Defence Headquarters has been drawn to an unfortunate publication by an online newspaper alleging that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa passed away yesterday,” the statement read.  “The report is unfortunate, unethical and lacks credibility.” The DHQ reaffirmed General Musa’s well-being, stating, “To put the records straight, the CDS, General CG Musa is alive and hearty. The Chief of Defence Staff who just returned from an official assignment outside the country has resumed work with more vigour to continue with his uncommon leadership style to prosper the Armed Forces of Nigeria.”

Bayelsa Guber: Security Agents Aiding PDP, Sylva Alleges

Bayelsa Guber: Security Agents Aiding PDP, Sylva Alleges

The candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the November 11, 2023 governorship poll in Bayelsa State, Timipre Sylva, has accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and security agents of harassing his supporters. Sylva spoke on Saturday after he cast his vote at Ward 4, Unit 4 in the Brass Local Government Area of the South-South state.The APC candidate fingered security agents “especially the Army”, alleging that they are “playing on the side of the PDP”. Sylva said violence has been recorded in Yenagoa, the state capital, alleging that an APC member was shot.He wondered why large polling units where he is popular were being targeted.“There is a lot of violence from the PDP trying to molest our voters with security (agents),” Sylva said. In fact, in some cases, it is believed by our people that we are running election, not against PDP, but against security (agents) but we are containing it.” The APC candidate, however, commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), saying “There is a lot of improvement on the part of INEC but there is still room for improvement.” Sylva was first Bayelsa governor from May 2007 to April 2008 and later between May 2008 and January 2012. He was also the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources from 2019 to 2023. In Saturday’s poll, Sylva is challenging Bayelsa State Governor and PDP candidate, Duoye Diri, who is seeking re-election. The election has been described by many analysts as a two-horse race.Meanwhile, Diri accused Sylva of being behind electoral violence recorded in the Nembe-Bassambiri area of the state on Saturday.

Police, Army Rescue 4 Kidnap Victims In Katsina

Police, Army Rescue 4 Kidnap Victims In Katsina

Police in Katsina State have rescued four kidnap victims in Dandume Local Government Area on Saturday in collaboration with the military. Police spokesman in the state, ASP Abubakar Sadiq-Aliyu, stated in Katsina on Saturday that the rescue was achieved during a routine patrol around Dankolo village. “In a bid to ensure the safety of lives and property police, in collaboration with troops, rescued four persons kidnapped at different locations in the state. “The relentless efforts and dedication of our security forces paid off, resulting in the rescue,’’ ASP Sadiq-Aliyu stated. He added that the victims had undergone medical examinations to ensure their well-being, and had been reunited with their families.

Army Conducts Field Training Exercise to Address Insecurity in Akwa Ibom

Army Conducts Field Training Exercise to Address Insecurity in Akwa Ibom

The 2 Brigade, Nigerian Army on Friday inaugurated Exercise Still Waters III in Essien-Udim Local Government Area in Akwa Ibom, to tackle all forms of security threats in the state. Brig.-Gen. Ken Chigbu, Commander, 2 Brigade, described the exercise as an annual field training event aimed at bringing together all the security agencies in the state to sharpen their skills on the rudiments of internal security operations. Chigbu expressed hope that it would provide an opportunity for joint efforts to tackle the emerging security threats in the state especially during yuletide. He said that the 2 Brigade in collaboration with other sister security agencies in the state have supported the State Government through both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to effectively tackle the threats be-devilling the state. According to him, “the event could not have come at a better time than now when there are growing concerns about the several security challenges confronting our dear state and nation at large’’. The commander said that the brigade, under the leadership of the General Officer Commanding 6 Division Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Jamal Abdussalam was currently undergoing unprecedented changes. He noted that the brigade and indeed the Division have continued to benefit immensely from the Chief of Army Staff’s Command Philosophy of transforming the Nigerian Army into a well-trained, equipped and highly motivated force. He thanked the heads of other security agencies for their synergy and support in fighting insecurity in the state as well as the Akwa Ibom Government for the support given to security agencies. In his remarks, Gov. Umo Eno commended the brigade for collaborating with other security agencies to ensure adequate security in the state especially in the area of intelligence sharing. Eno represented by his Deputy, Sen. Akon Eyankenyi, also commended the brigade for siting its base in Ikot Afanag, “a volatile area ravaged by the activities of the Eastern Security Network (ESN) of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)’’. He said that the presence had restored peace and normalcy in the area and many displaced persons had returned to their communities. He pledged commitment to deepening cooperation with the brigade to ensure that Akwa Ibom people and other residents enjoy maximum security and maintain its status as one of the most peaceful and secured states in the country. The highlight of the event were crowd dispersal drills, aerial surveillance/support for the flag-off event by the Nigerian Air Force, presentation of souvenirs and medical outreach. 

Army nabs 3 rail track vandals in Nasarawa

Army nabs 3 rail track vandals in Nasarawa

Troops from 4 Special Forces of the Nigerian Army Doma, Nasarawa State, have arrested three suspects for rail track vandalism at the Kwarra community of Keana Local Government Area (LGA). The Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 4 Special Forces Command, Doma, Maj. Joseph Afolasade made the disclosure at a news briefing in Doma on Monday. Afolasade said: “On August 5 2023 at about 11 pm, troops of the command intercepted three suspected railtrack vandals during a routine patrol at Kwarra community of Keana LGA. “The suspects were arrested with a large number of railtracks loaded in one 18-tyre truck with Registration Number DED 364 YC.” He said that the suspects claimed that they were deceived by their sponsors, who are still on the run. Afolasade said that preliminary investigations revealed that on August 23, the driver of the truck, Chibuki Akubilo, was contacted to convey the vandalised railtracks to Ilorin in Kwara for N1.6 million. He further said that the Commander of the Special Forces, Maj.-Gen. Hillary Nzan, had approved that the suspects be handed over to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for further investigation and prosecution. He, therefore, handed over the suspects to the representative of the state command of NSCDC. Responding, the NSCDC Public Relations Officer, Mr Jerry Victor, expressed gratitude to the Army for collaborating with the corps to tackle insecurity in the state. “Usually, this type of crime is being committed by a syndicate,” Victor said. He promised that the investigation would be continued to arrest other members of the group for prosecution. The driver of the truck told newsmen that he was contacted by one Mr Charles to convey the items to Ilorin.

Kogi Guber: Court orders security agencies to protect SDP’s Ajaka 

Suspected APC Thugs Attack SDP Campaign Leader In Kogi State

Justice Inyang Ekwo of a Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday ordered security agencies in the country to provide maximum security to the candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), in the November governorship election in Kogi State, Murtala Ajaka. The order is following an ex-parte application made before the court by the governorship flagbearer, dated July 11, seeking a restraining order against the security agencies from arresting, inviting, detaining, or threatening the applicant’s life and property pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.  By the order, the security agencies which include the Chief of Defence Staff, Army, Navy, DSS and Police are to guarantee the safety of the SDP candidate, pending the hearing of a suit filed before the court. Defendants in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/952/2023, are the Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, the Inspector General (IG) of Police, the Commissioner of Police (Kogi State), DSS, the Director General of DSS, Director DSS (Kogi State), Commandant General of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Naval Staff as 1st to 11th respondents, respectively. The court held that Ajaka’s request through his counsel, Mr. Sunday Aruwa, SAN, was meritorious and accordingly granted it as prayed. “An Order is hereby made restraining the respondents, their agents, servants and anybody acting through or under them from arresting, inviting, detaining or threatening the applicant’s life and property pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.  “An Order is hereby made compelling the 2nd – 11th respondents to immediately provide maximum security to the applicant in Abuja FCT, Kogi State, and elsewhere in Nigeria pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit”, the judge ruled. Before adjourning to July 21 for a hearing, the court ordered the applicant to serve the respondents with all the processes in this suit together with the Order of the Court.  Before the court’s order on Thursday, Ajaka had earlier petitioned Governor Yahaya Bello to the IGP, Mr Olukayode Egbetokun over an alleged threat to his life, as well as that of members of his family.