APC begs Nigerians to shun nationwide protest over hardship

APC Suspends Kogi Guber Campaign

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The national working committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has urged Nigerians to refrain from participating in the planned protest against President Bola Tinubu’s administration scheduled for August 1-10.  In a briefing held in Abuja on Wednesday, following the NWC’s 153rd meeting, APC National Secretary Surajudeen Basiru made this appeal. He encouraged Nigerians to trust in the current government’s ability to address the country’s economic issues. “The APC, alongside President Tinubu, appeals to those planning protests to reconsider their plans,” Basiru stated. “We ask for confidence in the government’s efforts to resolve the nation’s economic challenges.” Basiru acknowledged that the Tinubu administration, since its inception in 2023, has faced significant economic hurdles. He assured that the president is implementing policies and programs aimed at alleviating these issues and providing relief to citizens in the near future. He also noted that many of the country’s economic problems are global in nature and require comprehensive solutions. Some issues raised by protest organizers are political or constitutional and can only be addressed through amendments, which are currently underway in the National Assembly. Basiru urged those planning the protests to have faith in President Tinubu’s ongoing efforts to improve the economy and assured that current difficulties would eventually be resolved.  He also called on parents and concerned citizens to monitor their children and wards to prevent them from being used to incite disorder. Additionally, he announced that the party’s chairpersons from the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have been summoned for an emergency meeting to further discuss the matter.

Peter Obi’s Ally Dumps Labour Party For APC

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma A former National Deputy Campaign Manager for Obi/Datti in the 2023 presidential election, Isaac Balami has dumped the Labour Party (LP) and returned to his former party, the All Progressives Congress (APC). Balami announced his decision in a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday. Speaking on his reason for dumping the party, the Nigerian Aviation expert explained that President Bola Tinubu has shocked him in just one year in office with regard to the Muslim-Muslim ticket which Balami himself was against. He explained that he dumped the APC ahead of the last presidential elections because of the ticket. However, he has now seen that it actually means nothing. The former number three man of Peter Obi’s campaign organization said he had thought that Labour Party had all it takes to take over Nigeria and restructure it on the path of progress but regretted that the leadership crisis in the party and some obvious leadership incompetence had destroyed the party. According to him, ” Tinubu has so far empowered more Christian Northerners and other Muslim ethnic nationalities since Nigeria returned back to Democracy. There is nothing that trips me like equity and fairness,” “No president has ever worked with the middle belt like President Bola Tinubu. “That was not what I saw when I left. I now see a better party and a better government. I can see a Nigeria that in a few years will thrive and I think it is only important for us to work with APC in its effort to rescue this country. “Consequently, after consulting widely with leaders across Nigeria, the middle-belt caucus, my parents and my immediate family, it becomes expedient that I resign from the Labour Party. I will now return back to the APC. Balami said he was happy with the level of inclusiveness under the current administration. Speaking on LP crisis, the politician said, “There is every indication that Nigeria cannot be redeemed through the Labour Party. As I move with my entire structure back to my former party, I urge them to join me in working with the APC to redeem our dear country.” Recall that the Balami, while moving to the Labour Party a year ago, said he was sacrificing for the good of the country and thousands of Nigerian youths who believed in him.

Ganduje faces Fresh Charges

By Doris Isreal Ijeoma The Kano State Government on Tuesday filed fresh charge against former governor of the state, Abdullahi Ganduje. In the charge sheet with case No. K/143c/24, the state government accused Ganduje and erstwhile Commissioner for Justice, Musa Lawan, of Criminal Conspiracy, and misappropriation contrary to Section 308 and punishable under Section 309 of the Penal Code (as amended) CAP 105, Vol. 2, the Laws of Kano State of Nigeria. The offence, the state government said, is contrary punishable under Section 97 and Section 315. The state government accused Ganduje and Lawan of abuse of office. In the charge sheet, the state government said it intends to present four witnesses. No date has been fixed for the arraignment.

Rivers Govt Reacts To APC’s Call For Emergency Rule 

The Rivers State Government has firmly dismissed recent calls by the Caretaker Committee Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers state, Tony Okocha, for the implementation of emergency rule in the state. The state’s Commissioner for Information and Communications, Joseph Johnson, characterized Okocha’s demands as “Bobo juice,” implying that they were frivolous and unworthy of serious consideration. During a press briefing, Commissioner Johnson expressed that Tony Okocha’s statements were merely “ranting” and did not merit a response. He accused Okocha of being notorious for spreading misinformation and engaging in scaremongering tactics that lack credibility. “Nobody would take such a character serious in the state,” Johnson added, reflecting the government’s dismissal of Okocha’s influence and assertions. The commissioner also referenced a past incident where Okocha had caused a public stir by claiming an outbreak of cholera in the state. Following these claims, a team of medical experts was dispatched to investigate, only to find that the allegations were false. He said: “On Tony Okocha, I don’t think that what Okocha said is worth giving any attention. We should not break our heads over what Tony Okocha said. “The other time, he said there was a cholera outbreak when the medical personnel visited the place they said there was nothing like that. “Another day he (Okocha) said he was welcoming members of the House of Assembly who defected to the APC. What is the position today? “He also said that he was going to ask the members of the House of Assembly to commence impeachment of the governor. What is the position today? “All these talks are what we call Bobo juice, He is talking to himself. He is not talking to anybody, and he is not talking to Rivers people.”

Rivers crisis: Court affirms 27 defected legislators as PDP Members 

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has affirmed that 27 members of the Rivers State House of Assembly, who defected to the All Progressives Congress, APC, are still members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.  Justice Okogbule Gbasam of the Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt stated on Monday that the claimants were unable to demonstrate that Martin Amaewhule and the 26 other legislators had switched to the APC. Justice Gbasam emphasized that party membership is established through being on the party’s register or possessing a membership card, stating that televised events or verbal declarations were insufficient proof. The PDP had requested to be part of the case and was included as the fourth defendant. Additionally, Justice Gbasam emphasized that the Rivers State government must adhere to all laws enacted by the Assembly since the members are still part of the PDP, and their inclusion in the party’s membership register is the determining factor. He also mentioned that the state government must follow the laws created by the Assembly since the members are still part of the PDP and have not forfeited their positions.

APC Suspends Assistant Woman Leader In Niger

APC Suspends Kogi Guber Campaign

An Assistant Women Leader of the Niger State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Amina Shehu, has been suspended for six months, over alleged political appointments and job racketeering. This is the outcome of the 5-member committee set up by the party Deputy Chairman, Zakariyya Aramm, to investigate the matter and come up with possible findings. In a statement by the State Publicity Secretary, Musa Sarkinkaji, the suspension was handed down to her by the State Working Committee under the chairmanship of Aminu Bobi. It was gathered that the State Assistant Woman Leader’s suspension is in line with Article 21, sub-section (5) xii of the APC Constitution 2022 as amended.

Ondo Federal Lawmaker, Jimoh Ibrahim Speaks On Leaving APC

Senator representing Ondo South, Jimoh Ibrahim has dismissed allegations that he was leaving the All-Progressive’s Congress (APC). Ibrahim stated this during an interview with Arise Television on Wednesday. The Ondo lawmaker said he has never engaged in anti-party activities, adding that if he were to leave the party, he would publicly declare it. He said, “Everyone is informed that I will never engage in anti-party activities. If I am no longer going to be APC, I will announce it publicly.” Ibrahim said adhering to internal democratic processes is essential for maintaining the integrity and functionality of the political landscape and articulated the constitutional procedures for suspending party members. He said it should be done at the state, local government, and additional working committee levels. Ibrahim said, “I entered politics to help my people because we were deprived for a very long time. I felt that with my message, I could make a great impact.”

Ondo Guber; Court orders APC, Aiyedatiwa, INEC to open defence

The Federal High Court, Abuja has ordered the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ondo State Governor, Lucky Aiyedatiwa and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to file their defense in a suit seeking removal of Aiyedatiwa as APC gubernatorial candidate for November election. This is following a claim by the APC that it had written a letter to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, seeking for transfer of the case from Abuja to Ondo State. In the ruling, Justice Inyang Ekwo ordered that the three defendants must file their respective defence within days allowed by law since the suit is a time bound one. The plaintiff, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, is before the court questioning the conduct of the primary election that produced Aiyedatiwa as APC gubernatorial candidate. When the matter came up, Tuesday, Counsel to the APC, Tayo Oyetibo informed the Court that his client had forwarded a letter to the Chief Judge praying for movement of the case from the Abuja division to Akure division. He however admitted that APC had not received any response to the letter. In response, Justice Ekwo held that there was no letter before him and as such, cannot act on anything not before the court. However, the court held that with or without the letter before him, the defendants must respond to the issues raised by the plaintiff. APC in its letter by Matthew Bukkar SAN, dated May 12, but received in Chief Judge’s Office on May 13, 2024, claimed that the primary election being challenged was conducted in Akure, the Ondo State capital. It explained that it has a functional office in Akure with State Working Committee on ground and that the electoral body also has office in Akure. Besides, APC said that governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa whose candidacy is being challenged is resident in Akure. The party therefore said that Akure division of the Federal High Court is the approximate convenient place for the case to be determined. However, counsel to the plaintiff, Chief Chris Uche SAN was prevented from reacting to the letter on the ground that the said letter was not before the court. After issuing the order, Justice Ekwo fixed May 29 for hearing of the suit with a warning that all processes in respect of the suit must be filed and exchanged by parties. Ibrahim who is representing Ondo South in the Senate, is praying the court to cancel the nomination of Aiyedatiwa as APC candidate on the ground that the April 20 primary election that produced him was unlawful. In the suit instituted on his behalf by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chris Uche, Ibrahim, a governorship aspirant who participated in the primary election alleged that the poll was marred with a lot of irregularities. Among others, the Senator claimed that sections 221, 228 of the 1999 Constitution and that of 84 of the Electoral Act 2022 were grossly violated in the conduct of the disputed primary election by the APC. He alleged that some delegates who could have voted for him at the primary election were not accredited to vote thereby making the primary election liable to be set aside and nullified. He is therefore praying the Court to bar INEC from accepting governor Aiyedatiwa as the APC governorship candidate in the coming November 16 gubernatorial election in Ondo State. The Senator also sought an order of perpetual injunction prohibiting governor Aiyedatiwa from holding himself out or parading himself as the APC governorship candidate. Similarly, Ibrahim wants the court to set aside the purported primary election and compel the APC to conduct a fresh one in compliance with sections 221, 228 of the 1999 Constitution and that of 84 of the Electoral Act 2022. The aggrieved governorship aspirant prayed the Federal High Court to delist the names of the APC and Aiyedatiwa from the political parties and candidates that would participate in the gubernatorial poll . Plaintiff further requested that APC and governor Aiyedatiwa be stripped of all rights except a fresh primary election is lawfully conducted for the purpose of nominating candidate for the governorship election.

Presidency, LP, PDP React To US Report On 2023 General Election

A United States 2023 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices arrived at its conclusion that the 2023 polls reflected the will of Nigerians. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Presidency welcomed the report but emphasized that the party’s electoral successes did not depend on external validation. However, the opposition Labour Party (LP) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) questioned the basis on which the report concluded that the 2023 polls accurately represented the will of Nigerians, given the evident irregularities. The report, issued by the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labour within the US Department of State, detailed human rights practices and violations across various nations, including Nigeria. The report  also stated that there were reports of campaigning at polling stations, lack of ballot secrecy and various irregularities during the country’s 2023 elections According to the report, the recent general elections in Nigeria were deemed to reflect the will of the people, despite significant irregularities. The report highlighted allegations that supporters of the APC impeded voting in Igbo-dominated areas during the Lagos gubernatorial election in March 2023. The report partly read, “National elections were widely reported to have reflected the will of voters, despite technical and logistical difficulties, and some irregularities. “Many independent observers who assessed the results of the presidential, legislative, and state-level elections during the year reflected the will of voters despite reports of voter suppression and vote-buying, campaigning at polling stations, lack of ballot secrecy, violence, and intimidation. “During the March 18 state election in Lagos, All Progressives Congress (APC) supporters reportedly intimidated and suppressed voters in Igbo-dominated areas, which Labour Party Presidential Candidate, Peter Obi, won in the February 25 national election. “Viral videos on social media showed APC supporters in Ojo (LGA in Lagos) threatening to attack ethnic Igbo voters presumed to be pro-Obi. “In Eti-Osa, APC supporters also attacked journalists and, in some cases, shut down voting and prevented non-Yoruba voters from accessing polls. They similarly destroyed property and physically blocked voters in Amuwo-Odofin. “According to videos posted on social media, police officers were present but failed to respond to attacks.” However, in response to the report, the two primary opposition parties, the PDP and the LP, reaffirmed their dedication to enhancing democracy in Nigeria, notwithstanding its imperfections. National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Debo Ologunagba, in a telephone chat with Vanguard said: “I am yet to read the report but one thing we, as a party, can assure Nigerians is that we remain committed to the advancement of democracy in our country. “We are also committed to ensuring that our country does not become a one-party state or slide into dictatorship.” Speaking in a similar vein, his counterpart in the Labour Party, Obiora Ifoh, said: “With all said and done, we take solace in the fact that the report was fair enough to admit that there were irregularities, including but not limited to vote buying, ballot box snatching, intimidation and physical attacks on our party supporters, especially in Lagos. “The report was magnanimous enough to note that supporters of the All Progressives Congress, APC, suppressed votes in areas dominated by our supporters during the March 2023 governorship election in Lagos. “To say the outcome of such an election reflects the majority view of Nigerians is left for the people to judge. Our commitment to the development of democracy in Nigeria remains unshakable.” The Deputy National Organizing Secretary of the ruling party, APC, Nze Chidi Duru, stated that the party had moved forward, focusing on advancing Nigeria’s electoral democracy.

APC Speaks On Plan To Suspend El-Rufai

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna says there is no plan to suspend Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of the state. There were reports that el-Rufai would soon be suspended for alleged anti-party activities. In a text message to TheCable on Tuesday night, Salisu Wusono, spokesperson of APC in Kaduna, said there is no such plan. “Nothing like this!,” Wusono said. El-Rufai was recently seen with Abdul Ningi, the senator suspended for alleging that the 2024 budget was padded by about N3 trillion. El-Rufai also visited the headquarters of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Abuja. These visits elicited debates on social media, amid insinuations that the former governor is plotting a political move. Shehu Gabam, national chair of the SDP, had said political meanings should not be read into the SDP visit because he has known el-Rufai for quite some time. “My relationship with Mallam Nasir el-Rufai predates 1999. I knew him long before then, and we have been close,” he had said. “Coming to the SDP secretariat, I don’t know why it is so special that people misinterpret or interpret how it suits them. There are a lot of politicians of the APC that have visited me, other parties have visited me. “Do not forget that not too long ago, Al Mustapha came to my office and people were speculating that he is decamping to SDP. “Will you be surprised if President Bola Tinubu visits SDP? He knows me and I know him.”