CAF Announces New Dates for AFCON, WAFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has released the new dates for the CAF TotalEnergies African Cup of Nations (AFCON) and the Women African Cup of Nations (WAFCON) in Morocco. The CAF executive committee confirmed the dates during a meeting on Friday and published on its official website. AFCON will take place from December 21, 2025, to January 18, 2026. The Women’s tournament, originally scheduled for this year, has been rescheduled to July 5 to July 26, 2025. CAF President Patrice Motsepe explained that the delay in announcing the dates was due to the crowded global football calendar. Despite the delay, Motsepe expressed optimism about the tournaments in Morocco, anticipating they will be the best in the continent’s history. “The announcement of the dates for the CAF TotalEnergies AFCON Morocco 2025 took longer than expected due to complex and challenging discussions with various stakeholders, considering the extensive International and Domestic Match Calendars,” Motsepe stated. “CAF is dedicated to protecting and advancing the interests of African players competing in clubs across Europe and worldwide. We are also committed to fostering beneficial relationships with the ECA, UEFA, other Football Confederations, and FIFA. We will continue to make significant progress in developing African football to ensure it is globally competitive and among the best in the world,” he added.

Alex Iwobi returns to social media after AFCON drama

After the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final between Nigeria and Cote d’Ivoire, Nigerian footballer Alex Iwobi has resumed his presence on social media, particularly Instagram. The Fulham star had deleted all his Instagram posts in response to criticism he faced over his performance during the AFCON final, where Nigeria lost 2-1 to Cote d’Ivoire. Iwobi became a target of cyberbullying from some Nigerian fans, prompting him to remove all content from his Instagram account. However, he received support from teammates, the Nigeria Football Federation, and the Sports Ministry. Several weeks later, the Super Eagles midfielder returned to the platform with the post “Lately.” The post featured a snippet of what seemed to be an unreleased rap song. Iwobi’s return drew comments from fans, with teammates such as William Troost-Ekong, Frank Onyeka, and Kenneth Omeruo expressing their support in the comment section.

FIFA Debunks Introduction of Blue Card

After reports emerged last week that the International Football Association Board had signed off on the trials of introducing blue card to football, FIFA president, Gianni Infantino has rejected the proposed plan.  It would have been the first time since the introduction of the classic yellow and red cards at the 1970 World Cup that a new card would be used in football. However, following an immediate backlash to the plans, Infantino has now told Sky UK such card does not exist. “Blue cards? This is a topic that is non existent for us,” he said. “If you want a title it is: red card to the blue card. No chance, no way.”

Jose Peseiro Resigns As Super Eagles Coach

Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro, has tendered his resignation. The Portuguese former forward disclosed this in a post on his X handle, formerly Twitter, on Friday. According to Peseiro, he concluded his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation on Thursday. The gaffer wrote: “It was a pride and honor to coach the Super Eagles. It has been 22 months of immense dedication, sacrifice, emotion, and enormous enthusiasm. “We feel a sense of fulfillment. “We would like to express our gratitude to Sir Amaju Pinnick (the president who signed us), President Ibrahim Gusau, General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, Secretary Dayo Enebi, the NFF, all the Staff, and especially all the players, with whom leading has been a great pleasure. “Guys, we are thankful; it has been a privilege to be part of this family. We will miss you, but we will always be there for you, no matter where you are. “A big hug to all of you.”

Tinubu Rewards Super Eagles With National Awards, Flats, Lands

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday honoured the Super Eagles of Nigeria with the national award of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON), presenting them with flats in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, and parcels of land.  The announcement was made during a reception for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) delegation, led by the Minister of Sports Development, Senator John Owan Enoh, at the Council Chamber, Presidential Villa, Abuja.  The president praised the team, coach, crew, and management for their dedication and perseverance throughout the Africa Cup of Nations, where they secured the runner-up position.  Tinubu encouraged Nigerians to stay positive, highlighting the team’s remarkable journey and calling for unity and continued effort towards national success. “Let this passing event not dispirit us but bring us together to work harder. We are a great nation bound as one by the green-white-green banner of resilience, joy, hope, duty, and untiring love. “To those cherished Nigerian youths expressing their gifts in communities, drawing lines in the sand as they play football in their humble rectangles of play, you can be our heroes tomorrow, do not relent in your pursuit. My administration is here to make dreams come true,” the president said.

List Of of Nigerians Who Died Watching Super Eagles vs Bafana Bafana Semi-Final Clash

The thrilling Semi-final clash between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Bafana Bafana of South Africa in the ongoing AFCON tournament has left a sombre note for some football enthusiasts in Nigeria. Tragically, amidst the tension and excitement of the match, several Nigerians lost their lives while watching the game at various locations across the country.  Here are some of the notable incidents: 1. Dr. Cairo Ojougboh:  A former member of the House of Representatives representing the Ika Federal Constituency of Delta State, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, passed away on Wednesday evening during the Nigeria vs. South Africa AFCON semifinals match. Dr. Ojougboh reportedly suffered a massive heart attack and slumped when South Africa scored a penalty against Nigeria. 2. Alhaji Ayuba Abdullahi: The Deputy Bursar of Kwara State University Malete, Alhaji Ayuba Abdullahi, also succumbed during the semi-finals between Nigeria and South Africa.     He complained of feeling dizzy and collapsed at home after watching the match, eventually passing away before receiving medical attention. 3. NYSC Corps Member: A National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member serving in Adamawa State, identified as Samuel from Kaduna State, reportedly collapsed and died during the penalty shootout stage of the Nigeria vs. South Africa match. Samuel fainted just before the final kick, and despite efforts to rush him to the hospital, he was pronounced dead upon arrival. 4. Mikail Osundiji: In Abeokuta, Ogun State, 43-year-old Mikail Osundiji tragically died while watching the semi-final match. Osundiji went into shock and collapsed after Nigeria’s second goal was cancelled by the referee, despite showing no signs of sickness prior to the incident. These heartbreaking incidents serve as a reminder of the unpredictability of life and the need for caution even during moments of excitement.  While football brings joy and unity, it’s essential to prioritize one’s health and well-being. As the Super Eagles advance to the final, Nigerians mourn the loss of these passionate fans and hope for victory in their honour.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the deceased during this difficult time. May their souls rest in peace.

Nwabali Faces Threats from South African Fans Following Heroic AFCON Performance

Super Eagles goalkeeper Stanley Nwabali, currently playing for Chippa United in South Africa, has allegedly received threats from disgruntled South African fans after his stellar performance against the nation in the AFCON tournament. Former Super Eagles international Idah Peterside disclosed the threats on Channels Television, revealing that some fans warned Nwabali against returning to Chippa United post-AFCON. The goalkeeper has reportedly been cautioned not to go back to South Africa, with displeasure stemming from his pivotal role in preventing the host country’s team from reaching the finals. Although there haven’t been reports of actual violence, Peterside highlighted the concerning messages, stating,  “People have sent messages to the goalkeeper threatening him. I hear some people are telling him not to come back to South Africa since you didn’t want us to score. We have not heard of any violence, but just threats. They have been threatening him and threatening some people.” Nwabali exhibited his goalkeeping prowess during the semi-final clash against Bafana Bafana, making crucial saves in regulation time and stopping two penalties during the shootout.

Nigerian-South Africa AFCON Semifinal: High Commission Urges Caution

In anticipation of the Semifinal clash between Nigeria and South Africa at the on going African Cup of Nations (AFCON), the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa has issued a stern warning to Nigerians residing in the host country. The advisory, titled “Safety Advisory for Nigerians During 2024 AFCON Semifinal Match Between Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana,” emphasizes the need for Nigerians to exercise restraint and abide by the law before, during, and after the football match. Amid escalating tensions fueled by online provocations, the High Commission urged Nigerians to be vigilant of their surroundings and cautious of where they choose to watch the game, especially in public spaces. The warning comes in light of veiled threats circulating on social media directed towards Nigerians, including references to “Nigerians cooking jollof rice” and potential repercussions if the Super Eagles defeat the Bafana Bafana. Nigerians were advised to refrain from engaging in provocative behavior or loud celebrations should the Super Eagles emerge victorious. Instead, they were urged to maintain their reputation for good conduct and to report any instances of harassment or intimidation to the appropriate authorities. The Nigerian High Commission’s advisory underscores the importance of prioritizing safety and responsible behavior during this highly anticipated sporting event, urging Nigerians to support their team while remaining vigilant and law-abiding in the face of potential tensions.

AFCON ’24: FG Pledges Full support for Super Eagles

The Federal Government has vowed to provide the necessary support for the Super Eagles of Nigeria to win the African Cup of Nations 2024 currently going on in Cote d’Ivoire. The leader of the Federal Government delegation and President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio dropped the hint while speaking via Zoom from Cote d’Ivoire to assure Nigerians that the Nigerian team has the support of the Government of the day to excel at the football competition. Akpabio who led top Government officials including National Assembly members to Cote d’Ivoire to cheer the Super Eagles to victory against the Palancas Negras of Angola at the quarter finals of the ongoing African Nations Cup, said sports is a unifying factor which must be harnessed for the benefit of the youths. According to Senator Akpabio, “I was very ecstatic at the stadium when the Super Eagles scored against Palancas Negras of Angola. The entire stadium exploded with the Nigerian supporters and those who love Nigeria. “Our presence here to support the Super Eagles is evidence of the fact that the Government is serious about sports and youth development and I’m very excited about the victory. “When I was the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, I gave the youths the best stadium in West Africa and under President Bola Tinubu, we shall replicate this in all parts of the country. “The Government of the day is very youth friendly and we are poised to create the enabling environment for the youths of Nigeria to realize their potentials. We are very determined to give opportunities to our youths to take them away from vices and I say congratulations to all Nigerians for this victory,” he said.