Tragedy As Two Children Die In Niger Boat Mishap

Tragedy As Two Children Die In Niger Boat Mishap

Two children have been confirmed dead while two others sustained various degrees of injuries in a boat mishap that occurred in Katcha Local Government Area of Niger. The Overseeing Director-General of Niger Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) /, Alhaji Salihu Garba, disclosed this in Minna on Saturday. He said the incident occurred on Friday at about 6pm when the boat engine caught fire due to a mechanical failure and inflamed a gallon of petrol stored inside the boat. He said that 145 passengers were in the boat, adding that they were from Danbo community in Kogi. Garba disclosed that the passengers were on their way back from Katcha Market when the incident occurred. He said that the body of one of the deceased children had been recovered while the search for that of the second missing child was still ongoing.

Elevator Tragedy: Sanwo-Olu hands installer over to police for questioning

Elevator Tragedy: Sanwo-Olu hands installer over to police for questioning

The Lagos State Government has handed the installer responsible for the faulty elevator that led to the death of medical doctor Vwaere Diaso at the General Hospital, Odan, Lagos Island, over to the police for questioning. NIGERIAN ANCHOR had reported that the incident occurred last Tuesday, prompting the government to initiate an inquiry into the accident. In a statement, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Information and Strategy, Olumide Sogunle, stated that a panel has been set up to investigate the incident. The panel includes experts who will conduct a thorough mechanical and electrical examination of the elevator. The lift installer was immediately interviewed by the panel and handed over to the police for further interrogation to ensure his availability for additional questioning. Representatives of the medical associations and six house officers were appointed as witnesses and allowed to be part of the panel. The panel has been given 48 hours to complete their investigation, and a report of their initial findings is expected on Saturday. The appropriate authorities will take any necessary further actions based on the panel’s report. Meanwhile, the Lagos State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) has continued its indefinite strike in three hospitals to protest the death of their colleague. Further updates on the investigation and the strike are yet to be confirmed by the appropriate authorities.

Man killed as speeding tanker driver rams into 5 cars

Man killed as speeding tanker driver rams into 5 cars

A man has been confirmed dead in multiple accidents involving five vehicles at Odumodu Junction, Umunya by Nteje-Awka Expressway in Anambra. The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, Mr. Adeoye Irelewuyi, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Saturday. Irelewuyi said that the accident which occurred at about 12:40 p.m., was caused by over-speeding. He said that the multiple crashes involved a commercial Toyota Hiace bus with registration number ENU 32 XD and a loaded tanker with registration number LSD 339 XA. According to him, a Toyota Yaris car, with registration number KSF 646 BZ, another tanker with number BAU 305 ZE and a Toyota Camry car with registration number ABN 64 JA, were also involved in the accident. He said that the driver of the loaded tanker lost control of the vehicle due to excessive speeding and rammed into a vehicle to cause a pile up with other vehicles. “Out of the 26 persons, including 20 male adults and 6 female adults involved in the crash, 12 sustained injuries, the driver of the Toyota Yaris car was killed while 13 others were rescued unhurt. “FRSC rescue team rushed the victims to Boromi hospital, Onitsha, and Divine Favour hospital, Umunya, while efforts are being made to remove the body of the dead victim trapped under the tanker,” he said. The sector commander said that the state Fire Service was on the ground to ensure prompt management of any form of fire outbreak since the tanker was loaded with PMS. He said that FRSC personnel were controlling traffic and ensuring that the obstruction caused by the crash was cleared. While condoling with the family of the dead, Irelewuyi warned motorists to desist from speeding and ensure they drive within minimum safe speed to save their lives and those of other road users.