Senate passes North Central Development Commission (NCDC) Establishment Bill into law

The senate, on Thursday passed into law the bill seeking the establishment of North Central Development Commission (NCDC). The bill was sponsored by Senator Abba Patrick Moro, representing Benue South Senatorial District and Senate Minority Leader. The bill, which passed First and Second Readings on the 5th of October, 2023, and 21st of February, 2024 respectively, was first sponsored in the 9th Senate by Senator Moro where it passed first and second readings but could not get presidential assent before the expiration of the 9th Senate. Senator Moro had argued in his lead debate that the commission, when established would be saddled with the responsibility of receiving and managing funds from the federal government and donors for the resettlement, rehabilitation, integration and reconstruction of roads, houses and business premises of victims of flood and farmers/herders clashes, communal clashes, construction of large format drainage systems, dredging of rivers Niger and Benue to control flood and incidental matters, as well as tackling the menace of poverty, illiteracy and other related environmental or developmental challenges facing the North Central Nigeria. The passage of the bill followed adoption of the report of the Senate Committee on Special Duties submitted during plenary. The Deputy Senate President, Senator Barau Jibrin, who presided over the plenary congratulated Senator Moro and all those who contributed to the success of the bill. He expressed optimism that President Tinubu would assent to the bill for the overall development of North Central Nigeria, which comprises Kogi, Niger, Benue, Kwara, Plateau, Nasarawa and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Senators beg Tinubu to release Nnamdi Kanu for peace in South East

A total of 15 Senators from the South East region of Nigeria, Wednesday, pleaded with President Bola Tinubu to order the release of the detained Biafran Nation agitator, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. Kanu has since being in the custody of the DSS on the order of the Federal High Court, Abuja. The Senators made the plea during a closed door meeting with the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) where a letter begging Tinubu to release Kanu was delivered for onward passage to the presidency. Led by a former Abia state deputy Governor, Senator Eyinanya Abaribe, the lawmakers claimed that unless Kanu is released, the social and economic activities in the South East region will continue to be stagnant. Speaking shortly after the meeting, Abaribe who spoke on behalf of his colleagues lamented that the economy and social life in the South East had suffered enough due to the continued incarceration of the Biafra Nation Agitator. Abaribe noted with grave concern that the peaceful demand of the detained IPOB leader had been hijacked by hoodlums and criminals leading to wanton killings of innocent people, including security operatives. The former Abia state deputy Governor told newsmen that he had already met with Kanu at the headquarters of the Department of State Services (DSS) in Abuja and had agreed to abide by any conditional release. Senator Abaribe expressed optimism that once Kanu is released, the tension and acrimonious engulfing the South East region since 2021 when he clamped into DSS custody would became event of the past. The Senators therefore pleaded with the AGF to convey their message to President Tinubu and for the AGF to use his position to terminate all the charges brought against the IPOB leader by the Federal Government. Besides the Senators, Abaribe said that virtually all political leaders, religious leaders and stakeholders have unanimously agreed that Kanu be released for peace to bounce back to the region. It would be recalled that Kanu was re-arrested in Kenya in 2021 by the Federal Government and brought to the country for trial on terrorism charges. Although, he pleaded not guilty to the charges, Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja declined to admit him to bail on the ground that he jumped the earlier one in which Senator Abaribe was his surety.

Reps Introduces Bill to Create New State “Etiti” in South-East Nigeria

HOUSE OF REPS

A bill to amend the 1999 Constitution with the aim to create an additional state in Nigeria’s South-East geopolitical zone has successfully passed its first reading in the House of Representatives. Titled “A Bill to alter the 1999 Constitution as amended to create additional state in the South-East geo-political zone called Etiti,” the bill was introduced by Rep. Amobi Ogah (LP-Abia) along with co-sponsors Rep. Miriam Onuoha (APC-Imo), Rep. Kama Nkemkama, Rep. Chinwe Nnabuife, and Rep. Anayo Onwuegbu. The proposed Etiti state state shall encompass communities currently part of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo states. It is planned to comprise 11 Local Government Areas with its administrative headquarters located in Lokpanta. Key amendments sought in the bill include changes to three sections of the 1999 constitution. These amendments aim to replace the reference to “36 states” with “37 states” and to insert the state of Etiti immediately after Enugu in the list of states outlined in the Constitution. Furthermore, the bill proposes reassigning 11 local government areas currently belonging to Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo states to the new state of Etiti. The local government areas affected by this proposal include Isuikwuato and Umu-Nneochi (Abia), Orumba North and Orumba South (Anambra), Ivo and Ohaozara (Ebonyi), Aninri, Agwu, and Oji River (Enugu), as well as Okigwe and Onuimo (Imo). The bill is expected to undergo further readings and deliberations in the House of Representatives before potentially being passed into law, pending broader legislative and public scrutiny.

Provide Emergency Relief to Flood Victims: Senate Urges Federal Government

Respite may soon come the way of victims of recent flood disasters in parts of the country as the Nigerian Senate has called upon the federal government to swiftly enact emergency provisions to ease the pain of victims of recent floods in several communities within Abia North Senatorial District, Abia State. The Senate resolution follows a motion calling on the Federal Government to urgently make Emergency Provisions for victims of flooding in some communities in Abia North Senatorial district of Abia State. The motion was sponsored by Senator Orji Uzo Kalu, representing Abia North who made an impassioned plea, saying that heavy rainstorms accompanied by lightning and thunderstorms had ravaged the region, resulting in tragic loss of lives and extensive damage to property. Support for the motion was resoundingly echoed by Senators Austin Akobundu of Abia Central, Enyinnaya Abaribe of Abia South, and Osita Izunaso of Imo North, who joined in urging the Federal Government to intervene urgently and provide relief to the affected communities. Deputy Senate President Senator Barau Jibrin commended Senator Kalu for bringing the motion forward, emphasizing the ongoing efforts of the federal government in infrastructure development and pledging thorough consideration of the motion’s demands. The Senate observed a minute of silence in honor of those who perished in the disaster. The Senate further mandated the Committee on Legislative Compliance and Environment to ensure swift implementation of the emergency provisions and to report back to the Senate within four weeks.

Why I Turned Down ₦250 Million Bribe For Third Term Agenda – Ex-Senate President, Wabara

A former Senate President, Adolphus Wabara, in an interview released on Monday on the YouTube series, Untold Stories with Adesuwa, reiterated his previous claims of rejecting a ₦250 million bribe intended to secure his support for the controversial third-term agenda of former President Olusegun Obasanjo. During the interview, Wabara emphatically confirmed the bribe offer, stating, “That’s very correct,” when asked about the authenticity of his claims. He recalled the political atmosphere at the time, noting disbelief at rumours that senators were being offered ₦50 million each to back the agenda. Wabara’s rejection of the bribe was part of broader resistance within the Senate against extending Obasanjo’s tenure beyond the constitutionally allowed terms. He underscored the gravity of the situation by suggesting that accepting the bribe could have led to a prolonged dictatorship in Nigeria. “Without people like us, there wouldn’t be democracy now,” Wabara asserted, implying that figures like former President Muhammadu Buhari and incumbent President Bola Tinubu might never have risen to prominence if the third-term bid had succeeded. Addressing misconceptions about his departure from office, Wabara clarified, “First of all, I was not removed by Obasanjo, I resigned,” countering the interviewer’s suggestion about potential pressures leading to his resignation. Wabara also touched on the lingering ethnic tensions affecting the Igbo people, stemming from historical grievances and misunderstandings related to the Biafra War. He lamented, “We have not been forgiven for what we did not cause, the Biafra War. It wasn’t our fault, but the propaganda is that the Igbos can not be trusted.”

Tapswap Makes Fresh Announcement On Token Allocation

In what could be perceived as bad news and disappointment for some people, TON Blockchain announced that the distribution of Tapswap tokens to users would be delayed until the third quarter of the year. Tapswap, since its launch on February 15, 2024, has gained popularity among Nigerians who tap the icon in the centre of the Telegram Tapswap bot screen to mine coins. The Tapswap app has already attracted over 50 million users from across countries. However, amid anticipation, the Tapswap management yesterday decided to postpone the token exchange event, originally scheduled for July 1st, to better serve its players. In a series of threads created on X on Monday, the management shared what it described as both ‘bad and good news’ for its players. They mentioned that they are in active discussions with tier 1 exchanges around the world to ensure the game is priced appropriately and protected from scammers and leaders in the web3 industry who are attracted by its success. The announcement reads: “We’ve got some bad and really good news for you at the same time: our team has decided to move the date for the Shares-to-Token exchange event. You might wonder, what’s good about that? Just FUD? “Not exactly. The whole point is that you’ll benefit from this. Let us explain how: “Recently, there’s been a lot of buzz around Tapswap, especially about listing on tier 1 exchanges, a massive drop, and more. And it’s no surprise: the project has become one of the major players globally, ranking at the top. This kind of attention attracts not just scammers but also leaders in the web3 industry. “So, not all rumours are just rumours. The Tapswap team is actually in active talks with tier-1 exchanges! And they are thrilled with you – our community! Isn’t this what we’ve been tirelessly working towards together?” The management also emphasized its commitment to giving a significant amount of focus to the task, which entails a more thorough analysis of tokenomics and the appropriate launch strategy. It added: “However, this success comes with some ‘inconveniences’. This level of attention requires much more detailed work on tokenomics and the right launch strategy. And that means extra time. “But know that this is all to ensure that our launch in Q3 is fair and, more importantly, profitable for all of you who stand by us no matter what,” it added. “Tapswap, however, charged its players to be happy about the bigger news in the future while appreciating the support and feedback gotten from them. “So, as you can see, there are plenty of reasons to be happy about this change. And very soon, we’ll give you some even bigger news about our future, tier 1 partnerships, and the drop itself! “We really value your support. And we truly listen to your feedback, so don’t forget to share it in the comments. Together, we’ll keep reaching higher and higher levels”.

Senate passes bill for Act to amend the 2023 supplementary appropriation bill till 31st December

Questions For Akpabio’s Senate Over Confirmation Of ministerial nominees

The Senate has passed has passed a bill for an Act to amend the implementation of the 2023 supplementary appropriation bill till 31st December, 2024. The implementation of the 2023 supplementary by implication would run in paripasu with that of the 2024 which stands at N28.78 trillion. The passage followed the emergency plenary convened which was presided by the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio. After clause by clause consideration of the bill and after the Committee of Supply, the bill was then read the third time and passed. The 2023 supplementary budget bill was sponsored by the Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, APC, Ekiti Central for its implementation to be extended. In his remark, the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio who thanked Senators for their understanding and patriotism, expressed his belief that the implementation would allow the executive to complete all abandoned projects.

Tinubu Seeks Senate Confirmation For Fresh Appointments 

President Bola Tinubu has forwarded letters of request to the Senate seeking the confirmation of certain individuals for fresh appointments. The President, in one of his letters, read during plenary on Thursday, urged the Senate to consider and confirm the nomination of Dr Olatunji Bello for appointment as the Chief Executive Officer/Executive Vice Chairman of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC). President Tinubu also forwarded the names of three nominees for consideration and confirmation for appointment as chairman, secretary, and member of the Police Service Commission (PSC), respectively. The nominees are the Retired Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Hashim Argungu (chairman), Chief Onyema Uche (Secretary), and Retired DIG Taiwo Lakanu (member) of the PSC, respectively. The letters were read on the floor during plenary by Senate President Godswill Akpabio. Bello’s nomination was thereafter referred to the Senate Committee for Trade and Investment, while that of Argungu, Uche and Lankano was referred to the Senate Committee on Police Affairs for further legislative work. The committees are to report back to the Senate in one week.

Raising Minimum Wage Above N62,000 Will Lead to Job Losses, NECA Warns

The Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA) has warned that approving a minimum wage above N62,000 could result in significant job losses. NECA’s Director-General, Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde, voiced this concern during a press briefing on Tuesday in Abuja. His comments came during the third edition of the Nigeria Employers Summit, which focused on “Economic Renaissance: Harnessing Government Reforms and Private Sector Agility.” Oyerinde emphasized that the organized private sector cannot afford a minimum wage higher than N62,000, a figure agreed upon during tripartite committee negotiation meetings. He cautioned that exceeding this amount could lead to non-compliance and subsequent legal battles. “Setting a national minimum wage that businesses cannot sustain will inevitably result in litigation and crises,” Oyerinde stated. In response to allegations of delays in the wage review process, Oyerinde clarified that there have been no unnecessary delays and that the process is actively progressing. “There is no waiting game, and I think we must put all this into context. It is misinformation,” he said. He explained that after the tripartite committee submits its recommendations to the president, a bill will be forwarded to the National Assembly for legislation. He also mentioned that labor groups can advocate for an expedited process.

Senate Commiserates with Customs over Death of Deputy Comptroller in NASS

The Senate through its committee on Customs and Excise Duties, has commiserated with men and officers of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) over demise of Deputy Comptroller Etop Andrew Essien at the National Assembly on Tuesday. DC Essien’s death happened while making presentation before the House Committee on Public Accounts. In a personally signed message of condolence, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Customs, Excise and Duties, Senator Isah Jibrin (APC Kogi East) , said the death of DC Essien was shocking, more so, while performing national duty at the House of Representatives wing of the National Assembly . “That the deceased died while carrying out important assignment before the House Committee on Public Accounts, shows that he gave his all, to Nigeria generally and the Nigeria Customs in particular . “The service of such a dedicated public officer , must definitely not be allowed to go in vain . “On behalf of the Senate Committee on Customs, Excise and Duties, Icommiserate with the Comptroller – General of Customs, Mr Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, entire officers and men of customs and most importantly, the family of the deceased . “I pray God to grant the soul of the deceased , eternal rest and his family , the fortitude to bear the sudden and irreparable loss “, he said .