Looming Strike: NLC Criticises FG’s Lack of Progress on CNG Buses, Cash Transfers, Others

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

Amid the economic hardships triggered by the removal of fuel subsidies, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has expressed deep dissatisfaction with the apparent lack of commitment from the Federal Government to address its demands. Following an unsuccessful meeting with government officials on Monday, where both sides failed to reach an agreement to avert an indefinite strike, the NLC President Joe Ajaero spoke out about the government’s reluctance to address several critical issues during an appearance on Channels Television’s which was monitored by NIGERIAN ANCHOR. Among the NLC’s key demands are the need to mitigate the consequences of petrol price hikes, review the minimum wage, establish a viable roadmap for the adoption of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) as an alternative fuel, rehabilitate the country’s refineries, and settle lecturers’ salary arrears. Ajaero expressed frustration, saying, “Even the issue as simple as cash transfer or bringing buses on the road, nothing has happened to them. So, it’s a lack of willingness, and we can’t muddle up all these issues. Then you call a minimum wage as wage award. If anybody is looking at the issue of wage award as minimum wage, then there’s confusion within that class of people.” He referenced a 2021 agreement on CNG vehicles reached with the then Minister of State for Petroleum, Timipre Sylva, highlighting that it was evident a million vehicles could be converted to CNG within three months. Ajaero criticized the Federal Government’s 2024 projection to deploy CNG buses for a more affordable mass transit system, questioning the delay, saying, “What is so peculiar about next year when these processes will start? Is it that there are no CNG vehicles that can hit the road, or we can’t have some stations, even with IPMAN saying that their filling stations are available?” Ajaero also criticized the Federal Government for its failure to meet the union’s demands despite having over four months to do so. The NLC is now preparing for an indefinite strike due to the ongoing economic difficulties in the country. “We agree that the Federal Government has had more than enough time for the past four months, and that even if there is a commitment, between now and the next four days, issues will be resolved,” Ajaero said. “And we hope that the minister [Simon Lalong] will work with us within these next few days to make sure we resolve the problem.” Regarding the possibility of resuming negotiations on Tuesday, Ajaero stated that if invited, the NLC would participate in the discussions.

Warning Strike: We achieved our goal, says NLC

Warning Strike: We achieved our goal, says NLC

*Calls on workers to return to work promptly as two-day industrial action ends The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has concluded its two-day warning strike, urging its members across the country to resume work. NLC President Joe Ajaero expressed appreciation for the participation of Nigerian workers in the strike, emphasizing that significant progress had been made. The strike, initiated by the labour union, spanned Tuesday and Wednesday and was driven by concerns over unfulfilled agreements with the Federal Government regarding petrol subsidy removal. The decision to strike had a substantial impact, causing disruptions in economic and commercial activities in various states across the nation. Ajaero conveyed the NLC’s satisfaction with the outcomes, stating, “We are pleased to report that, thanks to your resolute commitment, we have made significant strides in achieving the goals set during our National Executive Council (NEC) meeting, which prompted the initiation of this warning strike.” He continued, “It is abundantly clear that our united message has resonated loudly with the government, and it would take a truly inattentive ear not to hear it.” With the warning strike concluded, the NLC called upon its members to return to work promptly, in alignment with the initial agreement. The resolution signals an intent to continue constructive dialogue with the government regarding the subsidy removal issue.

NLC begins 2-day strike, insists N5bn palliative not enough

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has initiated a two-day warning strike to protest the Federal Government’s handling of the challenges resulting from the removal of fuel subsidies. This move follows NLC President Joe Ajaero’s announcement last Friday. In his inaugural speech on May 29, President Bola Tinubu declared the end of fuel subsidies, triggering a significant surge in fuel prices nationwide and an increase in the cost of living. The NLC accuses the Federal Government of abandoning negotiations and failing to implement resolutions from previous meetings. On August 2, the organized labour staged protests against what they deemed “anti-people policies” by President Bola Tinubu’s administration. The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC), and affiliated unions demonstrated in several states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), demanding the reversal of anti-poor policies, the release of withheld university lecturers’ and workers’ salaries, and an increase in the minimum wage from N30,000 to N200,000. Despite numerous meetings between the Presidency and the unions regarding palliatives for Nigerians affected by the petrol subsidy removal, no agreement was reached. Last month, NLC President Joe Ajaero argued that the N5 billion allocated to each state and the FCT to mitigate the impact of the subsidy removal was grossly insufficient to alleviate the suffering of the people. Ajaero explained that when calculated, the N5 billion would amount to less than N1,500 per person, raising questions about whether the funds were intended as loans or palliatives to the states or citizens. “The first increase in the pump price of petroleum products and the last one moved a lot of people from the borderline to a very high level of poverty,” he said. “Now, if you calculate it, you will discover that this will not translate to N1,500 per person and you ask: is that the impact? Is that really what we want to achieve? Let’s assume it’s a loan. What is really going to happen? Is it garbage in, garbage out? “If it is N5 billion, I think organised labour would want anybody to do the calculation and tell us how it is going to impact Nigerians on what is happening currently. If it is a loan, then it is too bad,” Ajaero argued. He highlighted the profound impact of recent fuel price increases on poverty levels, emphasizing that the proposed financial relief appeared inadequate. Organized labour has continued to call for transparency concerning the N5 billion allocated whilst questioning its effectiveness in addressing the ongoing economic challenges triggered by the subsidy removal.

Protests: FG bows to Organised Labour, withdraws contempt suit

NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

The Federal Government says it has withdrawn the contempt of court proceedings against organised labour for embarking on a nationwide protest. This is contained in a letter addressed to the lead counsel to the NLC, Falana and Falana’s Chambers on Tuesday in Abuja. The letter dated August 7 to Falana’s Chambers was signed by the Solicitor General of the Federation, Mrs  B.E. Jeddy-Agba. The Federal Ministry of Justice had through the National Industrial Court (NICN) issued the leadership of the organised labour summons on contempt of court for embarking on the protest. The Union had responded by threatening to embark on a nationwide strike from August 14, if the Federal Government failed to withdraw its contempt of court charges. The Labour Congress and it’s affiliate the Tarde Union Congress (TUC) had embarked on a mass protest over anti-poor policies of government, especially the removal of fuel subsidy that had brought untold hardship to Nigerians. The letter reads: “Kindly recall the exchange of correspondence between the ministry and your office on the need for compliance with the extant court orders, restraining industrial action of any kind on the part of the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress. “The position of the ministry was informed by the need to safeguard the integrity of the court and prevent avoidable service disruption or damage to public facilities. “In spite of these exchanges/interventions, the labour unions on August 2, proceeded with the industrial action through public pretests”. It also said the protest led to disruption of work and the eventual pulling down of the gate of the National Assembly. “The foregoing, it said, prompted the ministry to initiate contempt proceedings by tiling Form 48 on the same 2nd August 2023 in accordance with Section 72 of the Sheriffs and Civil Process Act and Order 9 Rule 13 oftlwe Judgment (Enforcement) Rules. “It is trite that issuance of Form 48 is just the starting point in contempt proceedings which will only crystalize upon the issuance of Form 49 and the consequential committal order.” It noted that upon the intervention of President Bola Tinubu and the decision of the labour unions to call-off their industrial action after meetings with the President and leadership of the National Assembly. “The ministry did not proceed further with the contempt proceedings, which would have required the issuance of Form 49 within two days of the issuance of Form 48. “It is self-evident that the none-issuance of Form 49 as at August 4, renders the contempt proceedings inchoate. “You may therefore wish to advise or guide the labour unions on the practice and procedure of contempt proceedings. “Also,  particularly to the effect that the issues or concerns raised by NLC in its communique on the proceedings, have been overtaken by events,” it said.

NLC’s planned shutdown of the country illegal, FG insists

NLC’s planned shutdown of the country illegal, FG insists

The Federal Government has told the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, that its plan to shut down the country on Wednesday, August 2, under the guise of industrial action is illegal.  The NLC had threatened to embark on nationwide protest from August 2 following the failure to reach an agreement with the government on the recent increase in the pump price of petrol.  The Federal Government had instituted a case at the National Industrial Court, Abuja, seeking to stop the NLC from embarking on the strike action.  The court had also made an order stopping the NLC from going ahead with the strike pending the hearing and determination of the suit.  But despite the court order, labour unions have insisted on the mass protest.  The Solicitor-General of the Federation and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Mrs Beatrice Jedy-Agba, in a letter to the NLC, through their lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, said parties before the court are supposed to maintain the status quo, to respect the pendency of the matter.  In the letter with reference number MJ/CIV/ABJ/316/23 and dated July 31, 2023, the solicitor-general said, “Parties are expected to maintain the status quo even in the absence of a restraining order. However, there was no threat of contempt of court in the clarification provided by this Ministry. Undoubtedly, drawing the attention of NLC and the public to the pendency of the order cannot be equated with threats.  “The issue of peaceful protests and police permit are also not in contention, however, you may wish to be guided by the contents of the Communique issued by the National Executive Council of NLC at the end of its meeting of 27th July 2023. The decision or projected cause of action by NLC is directed principally in furtherance of issues connected with a hike in fuel price and consequential matters of palliatives and workers’ welfare. We assert that it is grossly inappropriate to lead the public protest in respect of issues relating to or connected with the fuel price increases, which are currently before the court!  “From the Communique, it is apparent that the current move by NLC goes beyond peaceful protest by issuing a seven-day ultimatum for government to meet the demands and also embark on a nationwide action to compel the government to reverse alleged anti-worker policies.  “Furthermore, uncontroverted media reports have established that NLC is not planning a peaceful protest but intends to ground the government by endangering public peace, instilling fear in the masses, and precipitating a further crisis. To buttress the above, the Assistant General Secretary of NLC, stated thus: ‘Nigerians should be prepared. That’s what we are saying. Being prepared means you have to stock food in your house and be economical with your movement at this particular point in time so as to avoid being stranded…’ “ “In the same vein, the Nigeria Union of Petroleum & Natural Gas Workers and National Union of Electricity Employees confirmed that they were working towards grounding the supply of fuel and the national electricity grid. The Ag. General Secretary of NUEE stated thus: ‘The NUEE is an affiliate of the NLC and I’ve told you that we will join the strike action. The issue is that if there’s a deadlock between labour and the government; that means that the mass protest is still going on, and definitely electricity workers, as an affiliate of the NLC, will partake in the mass protest. So, all workers in the power sector will join the mass protest on Wednesday, August 2, 2023. It is binding on every staff member to join the strike action. So, if it results in a blackout, the only option is for the government to listen to us if it wants power to return.”  “We reiterate that the interim order clearly restrained NLC from embarking on industrial action of any nature. It is common knowledge that a strike is only a form of industrial action. NLC has expressed the intention to embark on a nationwide action to force the government (employer) to agree to its demands. Furthermore, the participation of workers in the protest will result in restriction, or imitation on, or a delay in the performance of work. The foregoing, inclusive of the purported peaceful protest (in view of its intended aims or purposes), undoubtedly amounts to industrial action.  “It is incumbent on your law firm to sensitize the labour unions that peaceful protests are no justification for disrupting or shutting down essential services, which is tantamount to a strike action.”