NLC to conduct medical checks on Ajaero after DSS detention

NLC has announced plans to conduct comprehensive medical checks on its President, Joe Ajaero, after release from DSS detention.
Ajaero summon: Labour prepares for a showdown with the NPF

The NLC has directed all national officers and 54 affiliate unions to accompany President Joe Ajaero to the Force Headquarters tomorrow, Thursday in response to the police invitation.
We Will Not Be Intimidated – NLC To FG

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Joe Ajaero has dared the Federal Government saying, we will not be intimidated
NLC, TUC Strike Not In National Interest – Presidency

*Says It’s An Attempt To Blackmail FG The Presidency, in response to the ongoing Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) nationwide strike, has denounced it as “unjustified,” alleging it as a move to pressure the government. Bayo Onanuga, the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, conveyed astonishment at the strike’s continuation despite a restraining order from the National Industrial Court. In a statement released on Tuesday and made available to NIGERIAN ANCHOR, Onanuga criticized the decision, stating, “This move by the NLC and TUC, apart from being self-serving, is unwarranted. It appears to be an effort to coerce the government by the NLC leadership.” He further added, “We’re puzzled as to why the NLC and TUC chose to penalize an entire nation of over 200 million people over a personal issue involving NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajaero. His mis-judgment resulted in an attack on him in Owerri while attempting to incite Imo State workers into an unnecessary strike.” The presidency said further that the strike action is illegal, immoral, unjustifiable and irresponsible, and will bring untold hardship upon Nigerians. See the full statement below: STATE HOUSE PRESS STATEMENT NLC/TUC STRIKE ACTION NOT IN NATIONAL INTEREST We notice with dismay the decision by the Nigerian Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress to call out workers to commence a strike action from midnight, despite a restraining order issued last week by Justice Benedict Backwash Kanyip of the National Industrial Court. This decision by the NLC and TUC other than being an ego-tripping move is clearly unwarranted. It is an attempt to blackmail the government by the leadership of the NLC. We are still at a loss as to why the NLC and TUC decided to punish a whole country of over 200million people over a personal matter involving the NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajaero, whose error of judgment led to assault on him in Owerri while he was planning to incite the workers in Imo State into a needless strike. While the Federal government does not condone any form of violence and assault on any citizen of Nigeria regardless of his or her social and economic status, it is on record that the Inspector General of Police has ordered investigation into what happened to Mr. Ajaero while the Commissioner of Police in Imo State under whose watch the incident happened has been transferred out of the state. Calling out workers on a national strike over a personal issue of a labour leader despite a clear court order against any industrial action amounts to an abuse of privilege. Power at any level should never be used to settle personal scores. Rather, it should be used to promote collective progress and advance national interest. Our national economy and social activities should not suffer because of the personal interest of any labour leader. This flagrant disobedience to court order and lack of respect for the judiciary should not be what the organised Labour would champion. The labour movement has always been a champion of rule of law and respect for the judiciary. It is a sad irony that the current labour leaders have shown disdain and utter disregard for court order. We reiterate that this strike action is illegal, immoral, unjustifiable and irresponsible. What the strike notice issued Monday night after official hours suggests is it’s designed for a sinister and hidden agenda to cause undue hardship and cause civil disturbance in our country. This is unacceptable. Bayo OnanugaSpecial Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy November 13, 2023
Multiple Unions, Including Banks, Medical Staff, ASUP Join NLC Nationwide Strike

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have initiated a nationwide strike following a directive issued last week. The strike has seen several affiliate unions, including the National Union of Banks, Insurance, and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), the Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria, and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Polytechnics (SSANIP), participate in the industrial action. The announcement of compliance was shared by the NLC in a Tuesday morning Facebook post, revealing circulars issued by various unions. Notable among these unions were the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), the National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees, the Maritime Workers’ Union of Nigeria (MWUN), and the National Union of Electricity Employees. The strike was prompted by the physical assault on NLC National President Joe Ajaero in Imo State two weeks ago. Ajaero, along with other NLC members, was demonstrating against prolonged salary non-payment for 44 months and violation of labour rights. The protest raised suspicion in some quarters, viewed as an attempt to derail Governor Hope Uzodimma’s re-election bid in the recent governorship election. Despite the National Industrial Court (NIC) restraining the unions from commencing the strike amidst an impasse with the Imo State Government, the unions issued a statement on Monday, directing workers nationwide to withdraw their services starting midnight. They cited the decision from the Joint National Executive Council (NEC) of NLC and TUC, urging compliance with the directive through circulars disseminated by affiliates and state councils. In light of the assault on Ajaero, the NLC and TUC had previously threatened a nationwide strike on November 14, demanding, among other things, the resignation of police officials if the government failed to meet their demands. The unions expressed concern over the criminalization of peaceful protests by workers in Nigeria. To emphasize their demands, the unions staged a picket at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja last week, causing travel disruptions. Recent strikes in Nigeria have had varying outcomes. Notably, last month, unions called off a planned strike protesting rising living costs after the federal government proposed a series of measures to mitigate the impact of its economic reforms occasioned by the removal of fuel subsidy.
Just In: Court Stops NLC, TUC From Embarking On Nationwide Strike

The National Industrial Court, on Friday, restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Trade Union Congress, TUC, as well as their affiliates from embarking on any form of strike or industrial action. The two labour unions were ordered to stop their planned nationwide strike scheduled to commence on November 14. President of the Court, Justice Benedict Bakwaph Kanyip issued the restraining order following an ex-parte application to that effect brought before the Court by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice. Justice Kanyip invoked sections 17 and 19 of the National Industrial Court Act to issue the restraining order against the organised labour. The Federal Government and the AGF through their lawyer, Tijani Gazali had in the ex-parte application prayed the court to stop the planned strike. They said this was to avert untold hardships that would be inflicted on innocent law abiding citizens and their businesses. Gazali, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and Director of Civil Appeals in the Federal Ministry of Justice, while arguing the ex-parte application, drew the attention of Justice Kanyip to series of hardships suffered by Nigerians on Thursday alone when the labour unions blocked entrances to the main Airports in the country. He pleaded that unless the planned strike is stopped, there may be a likelihood of breach of peace in the country. The Judge, who was persuaded by the government’s arguments, said that it is within the power of the court to intervene by way of a restraining order to ensure peace and tranquility. He proceeded to grant all the requests of the federal government as contained on the motion paper. Besides, Justice Kanyip directed that the restraining order be pasted on the wall of the building at the last known address of the two defendants to draw their attention to the Court’s position. The Judge also directed that the order along with the originating and other processes be served by publication in two major national dailies. Meanwhile, the case file has been transferred to Justice Olufunke Anuwe who is said to be handling similar labour dispute related matters.
BREAKING! NLC Protests, Blocks Abuja Airport

Members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Thursday initiated a protest in Abuja. The group seized control of entry and exit points at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja. This has led to flight disruptions and chaotic scenes around the airport area. The demonstration comes in response to the recent assault on Joe Ajaero, NLC’s president in Imo state. Aviation unions, aligning with NLC, have instructed their workers to halt services for both public and private Owerri flights, intensifying the impact of the protest. More details later…
Just In: NLC, TUC Declare Nationwide Strike November 14

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have jointly announced a nationwide strike, scheduled to commence on November 14, 2023. This decision emerged following an extraordinary National Executive Council meeting held in Abuja on Tuesday. The two prominent labour unions have also initiated nationwide mobilization efforts to rally their members and allies in preparation for the impending strike. The call for this industrial action is rooted in the recent assault on NLC National President, Joe Ajaero, in Imo State, which sparked widespread outrage within the Organized Labour community. The Commissioner of Police in Imo State, Mohammed Barde, has been accused of complicity in the attack on Ajaero in Owerri, the state’s capital. Last Friday, Organized Labour issued a five-day ultimatum to the Federal Government, demanding the replacement of the police commissioner and seeking accountability for the attack on Ajaero. While Governor Hope Uzodimma, who is seeking re-election, denied involvement in the assault on the labour leader, Organized Labour also demanded the arrest and prosecution of some of the governor’s aides and thereafter threatened a nationwide industrial strike if their demands were not met. In response to mounting pressure, the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, redeployed Commissioner Barde, citing the need for neutrality in the lead-up to the Imo State governorship election scheduled for November 11, 2023.
Recent Attack On Joe Ajaero Violates His Human Rights- NASU

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) has strongly condemned the recent attack on Mr. Joe Ajaero, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC). The union’s reaction to the incident was conveyed through a statement signed by its General Secretary, Mr. Peters Adeyemi, in Abuja on Sunday. Ajaero fell victim to the attack in Imo State on November 1 when he traveled to the Southeastern state to declare a mass protest against alleged anti-labour practices. The Witness had reported that Ajaero was subsequently detained by the police, although the police claimed that they took him into custody to protect him from further attacks by hoodlums. Adeyemi firmly asserted that the attack on the union leader amounted to “a violation of trade union rights as well as the human rights of Ajaero.” He emphasized that the rights exercised by Ajaero in Owerri, as the leader of Nigeria’s working people, are guaranteed by the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s 1999 Constitution (as amended) and International Labour Organization (ILO) Conventions. “Nigeria, as an ILO member-state, has ratified ILO Conventions on Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organize, 1948 (No.87), and the Right to Organize and Collective Bargaining, 1949 (No.98),” Adeyemi said, pointing out that the Imo government has been involved in unfair labour practices, as it has failed to pay salaries and pensions, making it unjustifiable to attack workers’ union leaders who inquire about the non-payment of these dues. He noted that Ajaero was on a solidarity visit to the workers in Imo and should not have been subjected to treatment “common in Nigeria only during military regimes.” NASU further rejected the claims that Ajaero was held under “protective custody” for his own benefit and called on President Bola Tinubu to initiate a thorough investigation into the incident. The union concluded by saying that it firmly believes that such incidents should not deter the exercise of fundamental human rights, including those related to labour and trade union activities.
NLC President Alleges Police Assault, Hospitalization in Imo State Protests

Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) President, Joe Ajaero, was allegedly subjected to a violent encounter with the police and subsequently hospitalized, according to the union spokesperson. Ajaero was apprehended in Imo State during an NLC-led protest and strike aimed at addressing workers’ grievances, including unpaid salaries and pensions. After his arrest, Ajaero claimed he was physically assaulted, blindfolded, and taken to an undisclosed location where he endured further brutal treatment, including attacks with bottles. His personal belongings, including phones and money, were seized and not returned to him. Ajaero was taken into custody at the NLC secretariat in Owerri, Imo State’s capital, during the course of the protest. The Imo State Police Command contested these claims, stating that Ajaero’s arrest was intended to ensure his safety. The police explained that there were scuffles and disagreements arising from the proposed lockdown of essential facilities during the protest, leading to an attack on Ajaero by a mob. As a result, he was placed under protective custody at the State Command Headquarters to prevent harm. The police contended that an injunction from the National Industrial Court on October 27, 2023, prohibited the NLC from holding the planned rally. The NLC, however, insists that Ajaero was brutalized after his arrest, not before. Meanwhile, the Imo State Government has distanced itself from Ajaero’s arrest, with the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Declan Emelumba, describing those alleging government involvement as “perennial mischief makers.” He stated that the court injunction rendered the planned strike illegal, and the Imo State NLC chapter had announced its withdrawal from the strike. The government claimed that Ajaero may have clashed with lawful workers from Imo State and intruders from Abuja, necessitating police intervention to maintain peace.