Senate Moves to Increase FG Revenue Share, Cites Security Burden

The Senate has moved to amend the 1999 Constitution to increase the Federal Government’s share of national revenue, arguing that the current allocation formula can no longer sustain rising security and infrastructure demands.
World Bank Commends Tinubu’s Reform Drive, Calls Nigeria Global Reference Point

The World Bank has commended President Bola Tinubu’s reform drive, describing Nigeria as a frequent global reference point for reform implementation and results, with new budget support and investment partnerships underway.
Senate Launches Probe as as Nigeria’s Rail Services Plummet

The Senate has launched an investigation into Nigeria’s railway contracts and project execution following a sharp decline in services across key routes. Lawmakers expressed alarm that major lines such as the Kano–Kaduna corridor now operate just one passenger trip per day, while cargo delays have nearly doubled. During plenary, senators cited persistent bandit attacks, poor maintenance, and aging infrastructure as major setbacks undermining the rail sector’s revival. Senate President Godswill Akpabio directed relevant committees to conduct a comprehensive review of all ongoing and completed rail projects, focusing on their design, funding, execution, and maintenance records. The probe, lawmakers said, seeks to determine why Nigeria’s railway system, once seen as the backbone of national transport, is now struggling to meet basic operational standards.
FG Inaugurates Rafin Yashi Dam For Songhai Farming

The Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, Prof. Joseph Utsev, has inaugurated the Rafin Yashin multipurpose Dam in Minna, Niger State. The Dam project, which was initiated by the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority, is aimed at providing water for Songhai Integrated Farming and Rafin Yashi Irrigation Project. Utsev, in a statement on Wednesday, said it was a deliberate effort by the ministry to boost food production in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to ensure food security across the country. He called for more collaboration between states and the private sector in the areas of irrigation and water supply. According to him, it is the desire of President Bola Tinubu’s administration to ensure food security in the country, saying no effort will be spared to achieve the target. The Minister had earlier paid a courtesy call on the Niger Governor, Mohammed Bago who was represented by his Deputy, Yakubu Garba. At the meeting, he informed the governor that the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority with its Headquarters in Minna, had dams in many locations across the state that can be used for irrigation farming. This, he added, could be a good source for water supply for the benefit of the state and the country in general. In his response, the Deputy Governor, Comrade Yakubu Garba, expressed the state’s readiness to collaborate with the Federal Government. He further said that in spite of the state possessing dams, it faced huge challenges to fully utilise them due to limited resources. He appealed to the minister to support the state in addressing water challenges, adding that assistance was needed in constructing additional water works for irrigation farming and personal consumption. This, the deputy governor said would help to tackle water scarcity in certain communities to enhance the state and country’s economy. Utsev also officially opened the Rafin Yashi Dam Road, inspected the Agro-Tourism Facility, Concrete Reservoir, and Songhai Integrated Farm. He also presented certificates to graduates of the Upper Niger River Basin Development Authority Empowerment Centre.
FG To Build 34,500 Homes Under Renewed Hope Cities Project

The Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Mr Ahmed Dangiwa, says the Federal Government plans to build 34,500 homes in selected cities across the 36 states in the first phase of its Renewed Hope Cities Project. Dangiwa said this when he received the acting Controller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) Mrs Caroline Adepoju on a courtesy visit in Abuja on Saturday. He said increasing access to decent quality and affordable housing for all Nigerians was a major priority of the government. “Our Renewed Hope Cities will be inclusive and integrate all segments of Nigerians. They will comprise of one, two and three -bedroom affordable bungalows and multilevel flats catering for low to medium-income earners. “In spite of the challenges, we plan to build Renewed Hope Cities nationwide with the first phase dealing 34,500 homes in select cities and state capitals across the 36 states and the FCT. “For high-income earners, we will leverage Public Private Partnerships with reputable developers to offer the elegance of Terrace and Detached Bungalows and Duplexes,” he said. Dangiwa said the ministry had mapped out clear actionable steps to make this possible for Nigerians in line with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Tinubu. “A major focus is the reform of all federal housing agencies such as the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) the Federal Housing Authority (FHA), institutions under the supervision of the ministry tasked with delivering affordable housing to Nigerians. “While the FMBN focuses on affordable housing using single digit interest rates and long tenures of up to 30 years to contributors to the National Housing Fund (NHF) Scheme, FHA has the flexibility to develop houses for high-income segment. “These two institutions should to able to meet and deliver on the goals of your agency to deliver affordable housing to all cadres of the hardworking immigration officers. “For high-income earners, we will leverage Public Private Partnerships with reputable developers to offer the elegance of Terrace and Detached Bungalows and Duplexes,” he said. The minister said for funding the ministry would leverage on resources from the FMBN. Earlier, Adepoju said that shelter was a major priority in any society. “So, we have come here to know how this new administration can benefit our personnel. I am aware that there are programmes in place where the immigration service of Nigeria can key into and benefit from. “Apart from that I have come to appeal to you sir to the rescue of our personnel,” Adepoju said.
EU To Support Africa’s Infrastructure Drive With €150bn In 4 years

The European Union (EU) through its Global Gateway initiative has promised to disburse 150 billion Euros to Nigeria and other African countries to enhance infrastructure in over eight sectors. The disbursement of the fund which commences from this year to 2027, aims to enhance connectivity, promote sustainable development, and strengthen economic ties between the EU and its partner countries, including Nigeria. The EU Commissioner for International Partnerships, Jutta Urpilainen, who revealed this at the launch of the Global Gateway initiative in Abuja, added that the bloc would support Nigeria to achieve enhanced infrastructure connectivity, including transport, energy, digital networks; support agriculture, economic growth, health and education. She said: “It will also promote sustainable development and environmental protection; and foster cooperation and partnerships with Nigeria and other partner countries. “We are living in an increasingly fragmented world. The war that Russia started against Ukraine last year, the military takeover in Niger in July, and the escalation in Israel-Palestine conflict are just stark reminders of that. “In such a world, the Global Gateway strategy is our positive offer to build resilient connections in the world through strategic partnerships to jointly address the challenges of our times from fighting climate change to improving health systems. “Together, we intend to mobilise 300 billion Euros in investments by the year 2027, and half of them for Africa; it is 150 billion Euros by the year 2027; Nigeria features prominently in the Global Gateway investment package”, the commissioner added. Urpilainen further clarified that the EU would support the 5G rollout in Nigeria, as part of its efforts to support the digital economy as well as also working on a potential loan to support Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the digital and print sectors. According to her, the EU had committed financial resources to support the energy sector, including the setting up of mini grids and small hydropower plants for productive and public purposes. “In 2022, we launched a digital economic package for Nigeria. With EU and European Investment Banks, investments worth 820 million Euros, it is a lot of money,” she added. The EU commissioner described education as “the most transformative investment anyone could make. So, an empowerment project is being launched in North Western Nigeria in cooperation with government to promote quality basic education in the northern regions.” Urpilainen assured that the EU’s long-term commitment would support investments in key sectors of the Nigerian economy, namely Agriculture (€42,000,000), Energy (€37,000,000), Health (€45,000,000), Digital (€55,000,000), Education (€45,000,000), and Social Protection (€46,000,000). In his remarks, Minister of Communication, Innovation and Digital Economy, Dr. Bosun Tijani, said that the Global Gateway initiative was aimed at achieving collective regional and global prosperity was in full alignment with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope agenda. He explained: “The core of this administration’s agenda is a developed Nigeria that is not only for a few, but for all, providing the Government the opportunity to actualize its plans in sectors that it wants to focus on. “Africa’s relationship with Europe has deep historical roots, and has been built on years of shared values, collaboration and mutual respect. “While we enjoy geographical proximity, we also have increasingly intertwined culture, and more importantly, a shared future,” the minister added. Tijani pointed out that working with the EU gave Nigeria the opportunity to leverage its structure and historical resources for global development, particularly for Africa.
Nigeria @63: Wike Calls For Collective Efforts To Rebuild FCT

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike has called for collective efforts in rebuilding the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Wike, who made the call in his independence message in Abuja on Sunday, stressed that building a strong and resilient society requires collective effort. “It means working together to address the issues that confront us, be it in the areas of education, healthcare, infrastructure, or security. “It means fostering a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship that empowers our youth and creates opportunities for all. “As residents of the FCT, we are not only Nigerians but also representatives of our nation’s diversity and unity,” he said. He reiterated the FCT Administration’s dedication to enhance the infrastructural development of the FCT and improve essential social services to meet the growing needs of residents. He, however, noted that this monumental task cannot be accomplished by the FCTA alone. “It is a collective endeavor that requires the active participation and commitment of every resident. “In this regard, I implore all residents to fulfill their civic responsibilities by paying their taxes promptly, including ground rents and utility bills. “These contributions are crucial for sustaining and enhancing the services and infrastructure that make our city function smoothly. The minister described Independence Day as not merely “a date on the calendar”, but a reminder of the sacrifices made by our ancestors. He added that the day was also a reminder of the struggles they endured, and the dreams they held for a united and prosperous Nigeria. “Today, as the FCT Minister, I want to call upon each resident of the territory to rededicate themselves to the vision of a stronger and more prosperous Nigeria. “Let us be reminded, therefore, of our obligation to society; our responsibilities as citizens extend beyond our rights. “We must contribute to the well-being of our fellow Nigerians and actively participate in the development of our communities and the nation. “In the FCT, where diversity is our strength, let us also remember our unique role as residents. We must live up to the tenets of unity that our capital represents. “Let us build bridges across cultures, religions, and ethnicities. “As we strive to make Abuja a great city, I call upon every resident to join hands with us,” the minister said.
Bwari Council To Commence Rehabilitation Of Township Roads -Chairman

The Chairman, Bwari Area Council, Mr John Gabaya, has said the council is set to commence rehabilitation of township roads and other construction projects. Gabaya said this in his remarks at the Bid Opening for Critical Projects event on Friday in Bwari, Abuja. The chairman, represented by the council’s Vice Chairman, Mr Aminu Musa, said that companies that would be awarded the contract would be expected to commence work immediately. “There are nine projects in the contract, which are: purchase of a brand-new Toyota Corolla salon car for the office of the Council’s Legislative Speaker. “Reconstruction of Bwari township road from the T-junction to the National Defense College, Ushafa and the purchase of a new Toyota Hiace bus for the council staff. “The construction of public toilets within the council secretariat and fencing, landscaping of the old abattoir building in Bwari town. “Reconstruction of asphalt overlay from Dutse-Alhaji-Koro Road to Dutse- power line road, and construction of asphalt overlay at old Bwari-Zuma Road from Sarkin Bwari’s palace roundabout to Water Board/ Zuma roundabout,’’ Gabaya said. Others, he mentioned are the construction of asphalt overlay of the road from the council secretariat gate to Briton Woods Hotel and Resort in Bwari town and the construction of asphalt overlay of Gaba-Shere-Kawu road, Phase 2. Gabaya said that all the roads would include the construction of concrete drainage. Speaking, the Council Secretary, Mr Eli Kadanya, said that the bids were already advertised in two daily newspapers on Aug. 3, in accordance with the Public Procurement Act, 2007. Kadanya said that interested companies must tender evidence of certificate of incorporation issued by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). He added that the companies must also have evidence of their income tax clearance certificate for the last three years, valid till Dec. 31, among other basic requirements. The secretary also noted that bidders were not expected to bid for more than two slots as violators would be disqualified from all the lots. He noted that the council is not bound to pre-qualify or shortlist any bidder and reserved the right to annul the procurement process at any time. Kadanya said this is without incurring any liabilities in accordance with section 28 of the Public Procurement Act, 2007. Mr Peter Kadanya, a representative of the Area Council Secretariat, FCT, who observed the process, commended the council for a well-planned procedure. He advised that in the future, the bids should be sorted out according to their lots for easy and seamless process. Representative of various companies, Heads of Departments of the council, Supervisory councilors and staff of the council attended the event.
Wike rejects repeated variations of Ushafa–Bwari Road project cost

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Nyesom Wike, has rejected the repeated variations of the Ushafa – Bwari Road project contract amount. Wike declared his rejection while briefing journalists after a visit to the project sites along with the Minister of State, FCT, Dr Mariya Mahmoud and other government officials in Abuja on Thursday. He described the consistent variation of the contract cost of the project as “very embarrassing”, saying “this is not what we are going to take. “The job was awarded in 2017 at N20 billion. In 2020, the contract was revised to N50 billion. As I speak to you, they have paid about N50 billion and what is outstanding is about N900 million. “Now they are telling us that the N900 million is not enough to complete a job they said had reached 90 per cent completion. “Therefore, asking for another variation, we are not going to accept. Even the engineering services, we are going to overhaul the system,” he said. The minister complained of so many variations in contract amount being handled by the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), which he described as “worrisome”. “I have never seen a thing like this in my life. What we see in FCDA contract variations from N10 billion to N119 billion and from N50 billion to N200 billion is alarming, and I am not going to accept this,” he said. Wike, who equally visited the rehabilitation of Lower Usuma Dam Water Works, Gurara Road in Bwari, also expressed displeasure on the delivery of the water project. The minister said he was told that the project was awarded as an emergency contract, but realised on getting to the project site that it has not been awarded fully. He said that he just found out that what was given to the contractor was just a letter of intent in Aug. 2022. “I knew the importance of this project in supplying water to our people within the city and its environs. Water is very important and so I have directed that the project is no longer an emergency,” he said. Wike said that the project would be re-awarded, adding that his office would supervise the procurement process and invite other companies to bid for the project. On abandoned projects, the minister said that more than 10 contracts have been selected and approved for completion, adding that agreements have been concluded with the contractors. He said that the Executive Secretary, FCDA, Mr Shehu Hadi, had been directed to make sure that all the files approved since last week goes to the Director of Treasury. He added that he has directed all payments to contractors be made latest by Friday. He explained that based on the tagging of each project to Internally Generated Revenue, each contractor would be paid a certain amount of money every month based on the agreed project completion period. “We agreed with some companies to deliver the projects in six months, and some 15 months. “In fact, like the millennium tower, they (contractors) have agreed to finish it in two years’ time, and we are paying them N3 billion every month. “On Monday we are flagging off the resurfacing of most of the roads in Garki, Maitama and Wuse because the roads are terribly bad,” the minister said.
TCN celebrates 400 days of non-national grid collapse

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) says the national grid operated for 400 days without collapsing. According to a statement signed by the principal Manager of Public Affairs TCN, Ndidi Mbah, it showed that the country is on the path to achieving stability in the electricity sector. Nigeria’s electricity generation has been between 4,000 to 5,000 Mega-Watts despite investments in the power sector. Last year, it crashed from the 6,336.52 megawatts recorded in 2021 to 5,346.82MW. In 2022, the National Grid collapsed eight times, with the last record to be in September.