Private Jets Must Get Clearance Before Leaving Nigeria, Says Keyamo

Aviation Minister, Festus Keyamo, says no private jet, including those belonging to high-profile individuals can depart the country without official approval. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Keyamo addressed concerns over the movement of private planes and airstrips, stressing that all departures, whether for private or military aircraft, must undergo proper clearance. Keyamo explained that private jets must land at international airports for customs, immigration, and other checks before flying out of Nigeria.  He also confirmed that Oyedepo’s airstrip follows the same procedures, dispelling misconceptions that private airstrips could bypass these regulations.  He said: “They were only concerned about the fact that they thought that somebody can take off from a private airstrip and fly out of Nigeria or fly into Nigeria. It is not possible. “You must land in an international airport first. Then the Customs, immigration and NDLEA will process you before you take off from there to your private airstrip. If you are also flying out, you must land at an international airport. You will go through Customs, immigration and all the normal process before flying out. “So nobody uses an airstrip for any such purpose without seeking clearance. At every point in time, the authorities must approve.” The Minister also shared that the country operates around 40 airstrips, with 23 federal and about 8 or 9 state-owned airports.

Ibadan Airport goes international status

In a significant milestone for Oyo State, Governor Seyi Makinde has secured the approval of President Bola Tinubu to upgrade Ibadan Airport to an international status, paving the way for increased economic development and regional integration. He made this known on Wednesday, while receiving the Chief of Air Staff of the Nigeria Air Force (NAF), Air Marshal Hassan Baba Abubakar who paid him a courtesy visit at the Governor’s Office, Secretariat, Ibadan. Governor Makinde said he would be heading to the Federal Capital Territory Abuja later today to get necessary documentation to that effect, assuring that work on the project would commence as soon as all documentation had been perfected. He said further that the runway will be expanded and a new terminal will be built when the project commences, adding that a team had been constituted to implement the project which he said would boost the economy of the state. Governor Makinde solicited the input of personnel of the Air Force in the state in ensuring that the project meets the required operating standards. Recall that Governor ‘Seyi Makinde during state of the state address recently promised that pilgrims from the state for the 2024 Hajj will airlifted from the Ibadan Airport. The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Hassan Baba Abubakar, earlier in his remarks, said he was in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital as part of an operational tour to Air Force formations across the country. He commended Governor Makinde for his administration’s support to the armed forces, especially the Air Force Base in the state.

NCAA suspends three private jet operators for operating commercial flights

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority has suspended the permit of three private jet operators for engaging in commercial flights. This was according to a Riot Act on the NCAA’s website on Tuesday, signed by the Acting Director General, Captain Chris Najomo. The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, had on Monday warned private jet operators unlicensed to operate commercial services that their activities were causing the Federal Government a huge loss of revenue. The minister issued the warning in an interview on Channels TV programme, Newsnight, on Monday. Keyamo said, “Almost all these private jets are operating commercially resulting in a huge loss of revenue for the Federal Government because the licence to fly a private aircraft privately and the one to fly it commercially is so much. “When it is commercial, the money paid to the Federal Government is so much. So, people now take licences from us to say I have just bought a private jet and I want to be using it for my business or to fly my friends and family, and we give them at a very low fee. “However, the moment they are given, they carry passengers all over Nigeria doing six or eight flights a day. This is a notice to them on camera, I am coming for them because the president has given us a marching order, and we are not going to allow it. “First, in terms of passengers’ safety, the regulation is low. Second, it is economic sabotage and I won’t allow that to happen. People who are my friends or the president’s friends, we will come down on them and, perhaps, ground all their planes. We will come very hard on them. In a matter of days or weeks, we are going to come down on them because we have to raise revenue for the Federal Government, ensure that the laws are kept and ensure the safety of Nigerians.” However, expediting action on the warning issued, the acting DG of NCAA in a Riot Act on Tuesday, suspended three jet operators found guilty of engaging in commercial flights. The acting DG disclosed that despite several warnings, these jet operators continued to engage in commercial flight operations, hence their suspension. The message read, “Back in 2023, the use of private jets for commercial purposes had gotten the attention of the Honourable Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, SAN, who issued marching orders for the cessation of such acts. “Subsequently, in March 2024, the NCAA issued a stern warning to holders of the permit for non-commercial flights, PNCF, against engaging in the carriage of passenger-cargo or mail for hire and reward. “The Authority had also deployed its officials to monitor activities of private jets at terminals across the airports in Nigeria. As a consequence of this heightened surveillance, no fewer than three private operators have been found to be involved in violation of the annexure provision of their PNCF and Part 91.14 of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations.” Najomo noted that suspending the jet operators for flouting several warnings was in line with the Authority’s zero tolerance for violation of regulations. He continued, “In line with our zero tolerance for violation of regulations, the Authority has suspended the PNCF of these operators. To further sanitise the general aviation sector, I have directed that a re-evaluation of all holders of PNCF be carried out on or before the 19th of April 2024 to ascertain compliance with regulatory requirements.” The statement further directed that all holders of the Permit for Non-Commercial Flights should submit relevant documents to the Authority within 72 hours. It added, “All PNCF holders will be required to submit relevant documents to the authority within the next 72 hours. “This riot act is also directed at existing Air Operator Certificate (AOC) holders, who utilize aircraft listed on their PNCF for commercial charter operations. “It must be emphasised that only aircraft listed in the operation”.

NCAA suspends private jet operator’s licence after Ibadan airport mishap

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority has suspended the licence of Mattini Airline Services Limited, the private jet operator whose aircraft overshot the runway on Friday at Ibadan airport. The private jet had 10 persons onboard before it overshot the runway, as firefighters and rescue officials from the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria were immediately deployed to the scene. The NCAA declared in a statement that the licence suspension was with immediate effect pending the outcome of investigations into the incident. The Challenger CL 601 aircraft, registered as N580KR and operated by Mattini Airline Services Limited, departed from Abuja to Samuel Ladoke Akintola Airport in Ibadan before the incident at 11 a.m. The regulatory body announced its intention to conduct a comprehensive safety and economic audit of all private jet operations in Nigeria, emphasising its commitment to ensuring the highest standards in the aviation sector. The ownership of numerous private jets, linked to both serving and non-serving governors as well as National Assembly members across the country, has come under scrutiny. These private jet owners have faced accusations of violating both economic and safety regulations set by the regulator. The Director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, NCAA, Michael Achimugu, issued a statement saying it enlisted the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau to conduct a thorough investigation into the Ibadan Airport incident. While the NSIB is conducting the safety investigation, the NCAA has initiated an economic inquiry into the aircraft’s operation, specifically concerning the terms and conditions of the PNCF as detailed in its documents. “In the meantime, and in accordance with Sec 32 (4) of the Civil Aviation Act 2022, the NCAA has also suspended the PNCF of Mattini Airline Services Limited with immediate effect. “The suspension, NCAA said will subsist until a determination is made that the conditions of the PNCF have been adhered to. “NCAA has further initiated a safety and economic audit of all private jet operations in Nigeria. “NCAA however assured the traveling public of its utmost commitment to safety and the entrenchment of global best practices.” In a press conference last week, the acting Director-General of NCAA, Chris Najomo said that all private jet owners operating commercial services risk losing their licenses for non-compliance.

Name Change: Ministry of Aviation now Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace

AVIATION MINISTER SIRIKA

The Ministry of Aviation will now be known as the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace. This was disclosed on Thursday in a statement on the Ministry’s Twitter handle @fmaviationng. According to the statement, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) approved the change of nomenclature of the Federal Ministry of Aviation to the Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace with immediate effect. “The new nomenclature is in line with the nature of the sector, being under the exclusive management and regulation of the Federal Government,” the statement added.

FG insists African aviation varsity will begin September

Hadi Sirika

The Federal Government, on Wednesday, maintained that academic activities of the proposed African Aviation and Aerospace University will commence in September 2023. The Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, disclosed this while signing the MoU with Nile University, on behalf of the Federal Government. Nigerian Anchor reports that this is the second time the Federal Government would be making the announcement. Last year, Sirika had announced that the African Aviation and Aerospace University will commence registration for the 2022/2023 academic session on September 26 to November 18, 2022. Sirika, while signing the MoU in Abuja, said the university will help address the research and development gaps in the aviation sector, adding that it will begin academic activities offering BSc courses in Aviation Business and Meteorology. He also mentioned that the university has hired its management staff and created an academic brief while noting that there are plans to privatise the university in the future for greater effectiveness. “The university ought to have happened a long time ago because it is part of our roadmap in 2016 that was approved by the president and this is just to go straight into research and development in civil aviation and aerospace and of course environmental sciences. “This university has received attention all over the world. The first of its kind in Africa and by the grace of God, it would be one of the top universities in the world. I’m also very sure that we may even go into aviation medicine in the near future. “It is dedicated to those core mandates of aerospace aviation and environmental sciences. It is intended to attend to the huge demands we have in this sub-region of ours and indeed continentally especially as Africa is looking to unite, integrate and become one entity in all fields and human endeavours. “I’m happy to say that the academic brief has been developed, the management staff have been employed and of course, it will be governed by the Federal Government but will be owned and operated by the private sector through PPP arrangement. “I’m sure in the long run, it will end up being truly private sector but the government needs to ground it fully to ensure that the take-off does not suffer any hitch. “The university will run both physical and online courses. These days, universities are turning virtual and we will begin with the B.Sc. Aviation Business and B.Sc. Meteorology and of course, continue to grow. Also, not too far from now, we will be getting approval from NUC to commence Master of Science in Aviation Management. “Nile will provide support for the undergraduate programme for the first two years and it is expected that more research and collaboration will be established between the AAAN and NUN,” he said.