Alleged N90.4m Fraud: Court Admits More Exhibits Against Ex-NHIS Boss

The FCT High Court in Abuja has admitted more exhibits in the ongoing trial of former NHIS boss, Professor Usman Yusuf, who is facing charges over an alleged N90.4 million fraud.
Amachree Petitions Tinubu, Warns of Rivers Instability

A petition accusing the Federal Government of destabilising Rivers State and shielding powerful officials has placed President Bola Tinubu under growing pressure, with analysts warning that silence could carry serious consequences for oil stability, regional peace, and Nigeria’s global standing.
Yahaya Bello Facing Political Witch-Hunt, Not Money Laundering Trial — JB Daudu

The defence of former Kogi governor Yahaya Bello has described his ongoing trial as a political witch-hunt, not a money laundering case, after an EFCC bank witness admitted Bello’s name does not appear in any disputed transactions.
EFCC to Arraign Ex-AGF Malami on Money Laundering Charges

The EFCC will arraign former AGF Abubakar Malami, his son, and an associate on 16 counts of money laundering, involving billions of naira and multiple property acquisitions across Abuja, Kano, and Kebbi.
Chris Ngige Faces N1.8B Corruption Trial in Abuja

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) will arraign former Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, on Friday over alleged corruption, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. Ngige, also a former Governor of Anambra State, will appear at a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Gwarimpa, Abuja, as the sole defendant in an eight-count corruption charge (FCT/HC/CR/726/2025). Filed on December 9 by a legal team led by Sylvanus Tahir, SAN, the charges allege that Ngige, while serving under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, used his position to benefit companies linked to his associates. He is accused of awarding NSITF contracts worth over N1.8 billion to companies including Cezimo Nigeria Limited, Zitacom Nigeria Limited, Jeff & Xris Limited, Olde English Consolidated Limited, and Shale Atlantic Intercontinental Services Limited. Ngige is also alleged to have accepted gifts totaling N119,783,000 through organisations linked to him, including the Senator Chris Ngige Campaign Organisation and the Chris Ngige Scholarship Scheme, while performing official duties. The offences contravene the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000, specifically Sections 17(a) and 19, and are punishable under Section 179(c) of the Act.
EFCC and National Defence College Join Forces to Update Curriculum on Financial Crimes

New partnership aims to equip future leaders with skills to tackle corruption, public fund mismanagement, and emerging financial threats. he Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the National Defence College (NDC) have agreed to collaborate on revamping the College’s curriculum to reflect Nigeria’s evolving security and governance landscape. During a courtesy visit to EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede in Abuja, NDC Commandant Rear Admiral Ahmed emphasized the need for a curriculum update to better prepare participants in public fund management and strategic governance. Related Stories: Ahmed lauded EFCC’s expertise in fighting economic crimes and requested the agency’s input in designing the new course content. “We want participants to learn how to manage public funds effectively so that they are ready for leadership roles,” he said. Olukoyede welcomed the proposal, highlighting EFCC’s readiness to support the initiative and noting emerging threats such as cryptocurrency fraud, which caused global losses exceeding $2 trillion last year. “There are areas where our work overlaps, and collaboration will help strengthen Nigeria’s fight against financial crimes,” he said.
Senate Commends EFCC for Record 4,111 Convictions in 2024

…praises anti-graft agency’s resilience, call for stronger legislative support The Nigerian Senate has lauded the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for ecuring 4,111 convictions in 2024. The upper legislative body said the performance represents the highest annual figure since the anticrime agency was established. The commendation came following the adoption of a motion titled “Urgent Need to Commend the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for Its Significant Gains Made in Recent Times, Particularly in 2024, Despite the Challenges It Has Encountered.” The motion was sponsored by Senator Emmanuel Udende Memga (Benue North-East) during plenary on Tuesday. Presenting the motion, Senator Udende described the EFCC as a “frontline agency mandated to combat economic and financial crimes in Nigeria,” with powers to investigate, prevent, and prosecute offenders involved in money laundering, cybercrimes, advance fee fraud, and other related offences. He noted that the Commission has played a crucial role in promoting accountability, transparency, and integrity across the public and private sectors, thereby safeguarding the country’s financial system. According to data presented to the Senate, the EFCC in 2024 received 15,724 petitions, opened and investigated 12,000 cases, and filed 5,081 cases in court. Despite operational and resource limitations, the Commission recorded 4,111 convictions, marking the highest number in any operational year since its inception. Senator Udende said, “The EFCC has remained steadfast and professional in the discharge of its statutory mandate despite threats to its personnel and the increasing sophistication of financial crimes. The Commission’s resilience is commendable.” He further disclosed that the EFCC’s efforts in 2024 led to significant monetary recoveries and asset forfeitures that comprised of173 automobiles, 378 electronic devices, 1 hotel, 2 gold Cuban chains, 14 landed properties, 784 estates, and Unspecified quantities of petroleum products. Seconding the motion, Senator Nwaebonyi Onyeka (Ebonyi East) described the EFCC’s effort as “unprecedented,” commending the Commission’s diligence in recovering the nation’s stolen wealth. He emphasized the need for the relevant committees of the National Assembly to strengthen legislative oversight and provide continuous institutional support to the Commission. Ruling on the motion, President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, commended the EFCC for its dedication and attributed the agency’s recent successes to what he described as “the right choice in the appointment of the Commission’s leadership” by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Akpabio also urged the EFCC to publish the total number of genuine convictions as well as petitions found to be frivolous or politically motivated, as a way of deepening public trust and enhancing the integrity of its anti-corruption drive. “Transparency in outcomes will further strengthen the EFCC’s credibility and sustain public confidence in the fight against corruption,” Akpabio stated. The Senate President further saluted the integrity and professionalism of EFCC staff, pledging the continued legislative support of the National Assembly to the Commission and other anti-corruption agencies in the country. Monetary recoveries included ₦9,477,977,318.78, $2,605,858.30, £1,600.13, and various digital currencies such as 13.37 BTC (worth $572,992.86), 5.97886094 Ethereum ($13,353.06), 298.4770071 Green Satoshi Tokens ($6), 1,002.547631 USDT ($1,002.22), and an additional 2,699,233 USDT (TRC-20). The Senate observed that these results have significantly enhanced Nigeria’s global image and public confidence in the country’s anti-corruption drive. The Lawmakers also acknowledged the sacrifices of EFCC officers who, despite operating under difficult conditions and personal risks, continue to pursue justice and protect the nation’s economic well-being. The upper chamber therefore resolved to commend the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for its dedication, professionalism, integrity, patriotism, and remarkable achievements in the fight against financial crimes. The Senate reaffirmed its commitment to supporting anti-graft institutions in their pursuit of integrity, national development, and financial accountability.
Court Orders Freeze of Four Bank Accounts Linked to Ex-NNPCL Boss Kyari
The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the temporary freezing of four accounts at Jaiz Bank, allegedly linked to Mele Kyari, former Group Managing Director (GMD) of Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL). Justice Emeka Nwite gave the order on Tuesday after hearing an ex parte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The anti-graft agency told the court that Kyari is under investigation for alleged conspiracy, abuse of office, and money laundering. According to an affidavit presented by EFCC investigator Amin Abdullahi, the four accounts — two in Kyari’s name and two belonging to the Guwori Community Development Foundation Flood Relief — were discovered to contain ₦661.4 million suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities. The EFCC alleged that the funds were disguised as payments for a book launch and NGO projects but were in fact linked to suspicious inflows from the NNPCL and oil companies. It further claimed that the accounts were being controlled by Kyari through family members acting as fronts. Justice Nwite, while granting the order, said the application had merit and adjourned the matter to September 23 for a report on the investigation. The Commission said the freeze order was necessary to preserve the funds while investigations continue, with a view to possible prosecution.
Alia’s aide in EFCC net for alleged sexual exploitation, cyberbullying

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has confirmed the arrest of Dr Mkor Aondona, the Special Adviser to Gov. Hyacinth Alia of Benue on Documentation, Research and Planning. Mr Dele Oyewale, the EFCC Spokesman confirmed the arrest to newsmen on Saturday in Makurdi. He said Aondona was arrested by operatives of Makurdi Zonal Directorate of the Commission on Friday over alleged sexual expolitation and cyber bullying. According to him, some female students had accused him of unethical and criminal behaviour involving sexual exploitation, cyberbullying and blackmail. “The petitioners alleged that Aondona was routinely recruiting slim and attractive girls for ushering jobs and insisted on sexual favours as a condition for selection. “Based on this, they became vulnerable to having sexual affairs with him but unknown to them, he had videos of every sexual act without their consent and was always threatening to leak the videos if they refused to continue having sex with him. “Aondona was also alleged to be involved in blackmail—sending explicit videos of the girls allegedly recorded without their knowledge or consent through several messaging platforms. Some of the videos are said to be in circulation.” he said He said the suspect would soon be charged to court.
Court orders staff member to forfeit properties acquired with stolen money to FIRS

EFCC investigations revealed that between 2017 and 2018, Garunbaba received the sum of N341, 971,960.00 as Duty Tour Allowance for journeys he never undertook Garunbaba also personally converted to his use the sum of N148, 079,450.00 EFCC operative said in 2018, Garunbaba purchased the four bedroom terrace maisonette from Barumark Investment and Development Company Ltd (Barumark) at the rate of N65,000,000.00 (sixty five million naira). The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, ordered the final forfeiture of two property linked to a staff member of Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS), Aminu Garunbaba, to the Federal Government. The property include a four bedroom terrace maisonette with BQ at Barumark Groove Estate, Plot 667, Cadastral Zone, BO3, Wuye District, Abuja and bought by Garunbaba in the name of MYZ Venture. The second property, located at No. 5, Lodge Road, Kano in Kano State, was said to have been purchased also by Garunbaba. Justice Obiora Egwuatu, in a judgment, held that Garunbaba failed to show the instrument he used to purchase the property. Justice Egwuatu held that the respondent also failed to show any reasonable cause that the funds used in purchasing the property is from his legitimate earnings. “A person cannot be allowed to benefit from illegitimate acts,” he said. The judge earlier dismissed the preliminary objection filed by Garunbaba on the grounds that the objector did not discharge the burden to proof that the particular paragraphs in the EFCC’s application offended the Evidence Act. He agreed with counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Martha Babatunde, that a public officer can be investigated and prosecuted before an administrative disciplinary action is taken. The EFCC had, in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/876/2021 filed by Ekele Iheanacho, SAN, sued Aminu Sidi Garunbaba as sole respondent. In the motion on notice dated March 16, 2022 but filed on March 21, 2022, the anti-graft agency prayed for final order of the court “forfeiting the properties described in Schedule 1 which were found by the commission on the respondent as properties reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities.” Giving four grounds, the commission argued that the court had the statutory powers under the provision of Section 17 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 to grant the reliefs being sought. It said: “The properties sought to be attached and forfeited are reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities. “The interim order of this honourable court has been published in two national dailies namely: THISDAY and PUNCH Newspapers. “No cause or sufficient cause has been shown why the properties under the interim forfeiture should not be finally forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.” In the affidavit in support of the motion deposed to by an operative of the EFCC, Apagu Wudah, the officer said several investigations were carried out regarding the assets. He said as an investigating officer with the Economic Governance Section of the agency, he was assigned to investigate an intelligence report bordering on criminal conspiracy, stealing, abuse of office and money laundering among some FIRS Wudah said the investigation revealed that between 2017 and 2018, Garunbaba and some of the staff of the FIRS conspired amongst themselves and obtained millions of Naira from the FIRS under the guise of Duty Tour Allowances (DTA) which they never travelled for. He said in the execution of the fraud, the staff involved applied for DTA in respect of a non-existing trip. According to him, upon being paid the DTA, the staff would deduct 10% to 15 per cent of the amount paid as his/her share, while the rest amount was withdrawn and transmitted to other senior officials of the agency who in turn also retained some while passing the rest up to the former Director of Finance and the Coordinating Director. “The respondent (Garunbaba) not only directly applied and received DTA payment for none existing trips from FIRS, other staff who received these fraudulent payments also handed over to him part of their own money.” The investigator said between 2017 and 2018, Garunbaba received the sum of N341, 971,960.00 (three hundred and forty one million, nine hundred and seventy-one thousand, nine hundred and fifty naira) from the misappropriated DTA payments. He said Garunbaba also personally converted to his use the sum of N148, 079,450.00 (one hundred and forty eight million, seventy nine thousand, four hundred and fifty naira). “The respondent gave details of the various funds he received in the fraudulent scheme and how he utilised some of them in his extra l-judicial statements to the applicant,” he averred Wudah said Garunbaba, in explaining how he shared part of the entire funds, wrote in his extra-judicial statement made in the presence of his legal representative on May 23, 2019 some startling revelations. He said the respondent revealed that the total sum of N269, 335, 750 was giving as follows: Peter Hena, 145,000,000; Bello Auta, N95, 000,000; and Aminu Sidi, N29, 336,750. He said Garunbaba confessed that the money was giving in cash at the FIRS office. The investigator said Garunbaba received part of the above diverted funds through his Stanbic IBTC Bank account number: 9301540597 while the rest were in cash from other staff. He said Garunbaba also converted most of these funds into US dollars through a Bureau De Change Operator — Mr. Wan Jafar Shehu. “According to Mr. Shehu, between 2017 and 2019, the respondent gave him a total sum of about N216, 000, 000 at different occasions for him to exchange into United States Dollars which he did” Wudah said. The EFCC operative said in 2018, Garunbaba purchased the four bedroom terrace maisonette from Barumark Investment and Development Company Ltd (Barumark) at the rate of N65,000,000.00 (sixty five million naira). He said the money was paid through his First Bank account number: 3040986059 to Barumark’s First Bank account. He said Garunbaba equally purchased the property situated at No.5 Lodge Road in Kano State at the sum of N39, 000,000.00 (thirty nine million naira)