ECOWAS Condemns Plot To Truncate Peace In Sierra Leone

*As Sierra Reschedules Flights For Departing Airlines The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), has condemned the plot by some individuals to disturb the peace of Sierra Leonians. The condemnation is contained in a statement issued by ECOWAS on Sunday in Abuja. “The bloc has learnt, with utter disgust, a plot by certain individuals to acquire arms and disturb the peace and constitutional order in Sierra Leone. “ECOWAS condemns this act and calls for the arrest and prosecution of everyone involved in the illegality. “The bloc has always maintained its zero-tolerance for unconstitutional change of government. “We want to reaffirm our commitment to supporting the government and the people of Sierra Leone’s quest to deepen democracy and good governance by consolidating peace and security so as to foster socio-economic development,” it stated. The Sierra Leonean government has declared a 24-hours nationwide curfew in a proactive step to ensure that the peace is not tampered with. Meanwhile, the Sierra Leone Civil Aviation Authority (SLCAA) has imposed a rescheduling of flights for departing airlines. In a statement on Sunday by the Management of SLCAA, the authority said the rescheduling of the flights is in view of the nationwide curfew imposed by the government. “SLCAA is aware that passengers intending to depart from and arrive at the Freetown International Airport (FNA) on flights scheduled for today, Sunday Nov. 26, 2023 are affected by the nationwide curfew declared by the state and currently in force,” the authority said. SLCAA urged all airlines to reschedule departing passengers on the next available flights after the curfew is lifted, “as SLCAA airspace remains open.” “While we appreciate the inconvenience this may cause, we urge all to respect the curfew and follow directives of the state security forces. “The SLCAA assured the airlines and the wilder aviation industry of its unflinching support,” the authority added in the statement.
Niger Crisis: ECOWAS Parliament divided over military option

The ECOWAS Parliament was on Saturday divided over taking military action as an option aimed at tackling the political situation in Niger Republic and restoring civil rule there. Some members called for actions that would nip the military incursion into politics within the region, while others identified diplomacy and dialogue as the best approaches to tackling the crisis. No fewer than 22 parliamentarians participated in the virtual extraordinary meeting to discuss the political crisis in Niger. Some members who were against military intervention highlighted the economic woes that the people of Niger could experience if invaded. Ali Djibo, from Niger Republic, said already at least 9,000 schools had been shut down owing to the crisis. “War will only compound the economic woes the peoples of the sub-region are already going through. “As we speak, over a thousand trucks, loaded with goods, are stranded at the border. “If a coup happened in Nigeria or Cote’d’Iviore tomorrow, where’s the ECOWAS going to mobilise troops to fight the Nigerian or Ivorian military? How many borders are we going to close? “We must also bear in mind that if we’re applying the ECOWAS treaty, it should be applicable to all.” Awaji-Inombek Dagomie Abiante (Rivers), ECOWAS must pay keen attention and treat the root causes of coups in ECOWAS countries Members of the ECOWAS Parliament making a case for military intervention in Niger said diplomacy had contributed in no small measure to the increase in the spate of military takeover of government in the West African sub-region. Contributing, Adebayo Balogun, posited that ECOWAS leaders were proposing military action to remove the junta, and not clamouring for a fully-fledged war. He recalled that Niger was a signatory to the ECOWAS’ revised protocol on non-military intervention. Also, Bashir Dawodu expressed the belief that the body should open itself up to the possibility of a military option and apply pressure on the junta while also exploring dialogue.
Address good governance, alliance tells ECOWAS leaders

The Alliance for Deepening Democracy (A4DD) has called on leaders of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to take urgent measures to address challenges to democracy principles and good governance in the region in order to stem the scourge of unconstitutional takeover of governments now afflicting some of its member countries. In a statement issued Monday/ in Abuja, the alliance of organizations working to advance democracy in Nigeria, strongly condemned the July 28, 2023 coup in which President Mohamed Bazoum of Niger Republic was removed from power in a military takeover but noted that the failure of leaders in many ECOWAS member states to adhere to the universally accepted norms of democratic practice and good governance principles had become a ready justification for insurgents and coup plotters undermining democratic governance, peace and stability of the region. The Alliance identified some of the challenges to good governance in West Africa as the failure of some leaders to respect constitutional term limits in their countries, the manipulation of electoral processes leading to the emergence of governments with dubious legitimacy from such flawed elections, widespread violation of human rights and constriction of civic space in many countries, the high level of corruption, lack of independence of the Judiciary, and the inability of governments to deliver basic public services to their citizens in countries across the region. Noting that the coup in Niger was the seventh coup attempt and fourth successful military takeover of power in West Africa since 2020, the Alliance said it was deeply concerned that a region that was once celebrated as demonstrating the strongest political will and leadership in advancing democratic governance, peace and stability is now referred to as “the coup belt of Africa”. It said although some of the coups are greeted with jubilations on the streets of the different countries, the reactions were not necessarily informed by the people’s love for military regimes but are frequently motivated by a growing frustration among the people about democratic governance, especially the failure of leaders to meet the collective and individual aspirations of their citizens. Insisting that ECOWAS leaders had a duty to ensure good governance and adherence to sound democratic principles and practices, the Alliance contended that since they have always cited the violation of the region’s Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance as the basis for their zero tolerance for military takeover of governments, it is imperative that they also abide by a key feature of the Protocol, which is the common and universal norms on democratic governance expected of member states through “constitutional convergence”. The Alliance argued that the failure of ECOWAS leaders to address other challenges to good governance and democracy while seeking to take decisive action against coups would only reinforce the impression that they are only interested in ensuring their continued stay in office and have no real desire to promote universally accepted democratic norms and good governance. The Deputy Chairperson of the Steering Committee of the Alliance, Ms Faith Waziri, who is also the Communications Officer of the Women in Politics Forum, said: “Sadly, experience from the past in some of the West African countries under military leadership has demonstrated that the military is no different to the political class they often claim to liberate the people from. Thus, if this dangerous precedent is not curtailed immediately, we are concerned that it may become an uncontrolled trend in the region, putting the freedom of the people at risk.” She said that “While we commend the region’s zero tolerance for military takeover, the conspicuous silence of ECOWAS leaders in the face of violations of the constitutional convergence principles as outlined in the Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Governance has raised legitimacy concerns and doubts over the sincerity of ECOWAS in championing democracy and good governance in the region.”
West Africa Defence Chiefs meet Wednesday to discuss Niger coup

Defence chiefs from West Africa’s regional bloc ECOWAS will meet in Nigeria’s capital Abuja for two days beginning Wednesday to discuss last week’s coup in Niger, the bloc said in a statement on Tuesday. On Sunday leaders of the Economic Community of West African States slapped sanctions on Niger and warned they may use force as it gave the junta a week to reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum. The leaders gave the junta seven days to reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum, who is being held captive. Earlier, the junta warned it would resist any “plan of aggression against Niger” by regional or Western powers. Meanwhile hundreds of coup supporters protested outside the French embassy in the capital Niamey. A statement read out after the Sunday summit in Nigeria said that Ecowas had “zero tolerance” for coups. The regional bloc said it would “take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order” if its demands were not met within a week. “Such measures may include the use of force,” and military chiefs are to meet “immediately” to plan for an intervention, the statement added. The Special Representative and Head of the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel was at the meeting, and said Ecowas had taken a decisive action because events in Niger were concerning. “Niger is playing a key role in fighting terrorism. If Niger stops playing this role this will give more space and more leeway to terrorists to expand in the region,” Dr Leonardo Santos Simao told BBC’s Newshour programme. He added that “no official negotiations” were taking place between ECOWAS and the country’s military junta. This is the first time ECOWAS has threatened military action to reverse the coups that have taken place in the region in recent years. It last sanctioned military intervention in 2017, when Senegalese troops were deployed to The Gambia to force long-serving ruler Yahya Jammeh to leave office after he refused to accept defeat in elections. Chad’s President Mahamat Idriss Déby Itno has gone to Niamey to tell the junta to step down, Chad’s government said. He met junta deputy leader Gen. Salifou Mody. It is unclear whether he will hold talks with Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani, the head of the presidential guards unit who has declared himself Niger’s new ruler. The West African leaders also announced the immediate enforcement of a no-fly zone over Niger for all commercial flights, the closure of all land borders with the country, and the imposition of financial sanctions against the junta. Ahead of their meeting, Gen. Tchiani warned ECOWAS and unnamed Western nations against stepping in. “We once again reiterate to ECOWAS or any other adventurer, our firm determination to defend our fatherland,” the statement, which was read out on TV, said. The coup has prompted concern that Niger, a former French colony, could pivot towards Russia. The ousted president had worked closely with both regional and Western nations to fight militant Islamists. Burkina Faso and Mali moved closer to Russia after their own coups. In Niamey, some of the protesters outside the French embassy chanted “Long live Russia”, “Long live Putin” and “Down with France”, AFP news agency reports. They also set fire to the walls of the embassy compound. France would not tolerate any attack on its interests in Niger, and would respond in an “immediate and intractable manner”, President Emmanuel Macron’s office said in a statement.
Niger Coup: ECOWAS calls for immediate release, reinstatement of President Bazoum

Heads of State and Government of ECOWAS on Sunday in Abuja called for the immediate release and reinstatement of President Mohamed Bazoum as the legitimate Head of State and Government of the Republic of Niger. This is contained in a communique at the end of the Extraordinary Summit on Socio-Political Situation in the Republic of Niger read by the President, ECOWAS Commission, Dr Omar Touray. The leaders also rejected any form of purported resignation by Bazoum and declared him as the only recognised and elected President by ECOWAS, the African Union and the international community. ‘‘In this regard, only official acts of President Bazoum or his duly-mandated officials will be recognized by ECOWAS,’’ they said. The leaders expressed strong condemnation of the attempted overthrow of constitutional order in Niger, and the illegal detention of President Bazoum, as well as members of his family and government. They demanded full restoration of constitutional order in the Republic of Niger and considered the illegal detention of Bazoum as a hostage situation, holding the coupists solely responsible for his safety and that of his family and government. In the event the ECOWAS’ demands are not met within one week, the leaders said they would take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order in the Republic of Niger. “Such measures may include the use of force for this effect, the Chiefs of Defence staff of ECOWAS is to meet immediately,’’ the leaders said. ECOWAS leaders also condemned the pronouncement of support by foreign governments and foreign private military contractors, while expressing appreciation to various governments and partners for their stance and solidarity. The Summit hosted by President Bola Tinubu, in his capacity as the Chairperson of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, also agreed to appoint and dispatch a Special Representative to deliver the demands of the authority. In response to the coup attempt, the Summit announced immediate sanctions on Niger including the closure of land and air borders between ECOWAS countries and Niger. They also agree on establishing a no-fly zone on all commercial flights to and from Niger, and suspending all commercial and financial transactions between ECOWAS Member States and Niger. Furthermore, assets of the Republic of Niger in ECOWAS Central Bank, Niger state enterprises, and parastatals in commercial banks will be frozen. Niger will also be suspended from all financial assistance and transactions with financial institutions within ECOWAS. Additionally, travel bans and assets freezes were imposed on the military officials involved in the coup attempt, as well as their family members and civilians who accept to participate in any institution or government established by these military officials. In his closing remark, Tinubu thanked fellow leaders, Moussa Faki Mahamat, the African Union Commission (AUC) Chairperson, the Special Representative of the Secretary -General and Head of the United Nations Office in West Africa and the Sahel, Leonardo Simaõ, for their active engagement and invaluable contributions to the discussions. ‘‘As we come close to this Extraordinary Summit on the socio- political situation in the Republic of Niger, I send my heartfelt gratitude to each and every one of you for your active engagement in our open and closed door meeting. ‘‘Your invaluable contributions to our discussions have got us this far and hopefully, we will achieve our objective. ‘‘The essence of African unity and solidarity is hereby reaffirmed. Our unwavering commitment to democracy, peace and prosperity is hereby resolved. ‘‘Throughout our deliberations, we have recognized that the challenges faced by Niger are inter connected with broader issues affecting our region. ‘‘As African leaders, it is our shared responsibility to foster stability and progress, placing the wellbeing of our people at the forefront of our endeavours, and working together towards their prosperity and happiness must always consistently be our goals. ‘‘We will stand with our people in freedom and our commitment to the rule of law and not the barrel of gun. Africa has come of age. We reject coup and interruption to constitutional order,’’ he said. Before the Summit, the President also held bilateral meetings with President Umaro Embalo of Guinea Bissau, President Mahmat Itno of Chad, and Michael Health, the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of African Affairs. Presidents Patrice Talon of Benin Republic, Alassane Ouattara of Cote d’Ivoire, Adama Barrow of The Gambia, Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana, Embalo of Guinea Bissau, Macky Sall of Senegal, Faure Gnassingbé of Togo attended the Summit while the Presidents of Cape Verde, Liberia, Niger and Sierra Leone were represented.
Google’s first West Africa Director Ehimuan bows out

One of the most prominent women in African tech — and Google’s pioneering West Africa Director, Dr. Juliet Ehimuan, has left the company after 12 years. Dr. Juliet Ehimuan, one of the most prominent African women in tech and an instrumental leader in Google’s regional growth, has announced her departure from the company via LinkedIn, stating her intent to take on a broader role within the regional tech landscape. A respected figure in the tech industry and key player in Google’s African initiatives, Ehimuan unveiled plans to collaborate with corporate executives, global investors, African governments and start-up founders to drive growth, excellence and digital transformation within the African tech ecosystem and the broader business landscape. Africa’s tech ecosystem has seen significant interest from global leaders recently – this month alone, Sam Altman of OpenAI, Bill Gates and tech investor Erik Moore were all in Lagos, where they each convened the local tech ecosystem – projecting their interest and positioning themselves as players in Africa. These high-profile engagements underscore the global tech community’s recognition of the wealth of innovation and potential on the continent, the fact of Africa’s place as a destination for investment up and down the tech value chain, and their desire to connect and engage with it.